PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

Ryu-Gi
08-10-10, 09:29
WTFAwesome. I just heard about this. Sounds flipping awesome...a Sci-Fi/Western...I love it when genres mix together!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c7xvHvN4XHQ/TEuZ-7pCDxI/AAAAAAAAAB0/HU7FhnYzZ2g/s1600/Cowboys+and+Aliens+Movie.jpg

It was originally going to star Robert Downey Jr. but due to scheduling conflicts they chose Daniel Craig instead.

1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger named Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford). It's a town that lives in fear. But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known. Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been, he realizes he holds a secret that could give the town a fighting chance against the alien force. With the help of the elusive traveller Ella (Olivia Wilde), he pulls together a posse of former opponents — townsfolk, Dolarhyde and his boys, outlaws and Apache warriors—all in danger of annihilation. United against a common enemy, they will prepare for an epic showdown for survival.

The Panel from Comic-Con:

pnqDhpvLdj4

ShLupP08jIQ

larson n natla
08-10-10, 13:39
Wow this sounds awful...

Encore
08-10-10, 13:41
Wow this sounds awful...

Yeah... and AWESOME :D Like a silly B movie. I'll check it out on DVD, most likely.

Vinkula
08-10-10, 13:42
Interesting, I love Sci-fi and Western!
I am so gonna watch this!

Carbonek_0051
08-10-10, 13:43
All the actors have me sold, it has Noah Ringer! w00t!

IceColdLaraCroft
08-10-10, 14:05
Daniel Craig AND Harrison Ford?

Alpharaider is going to wet himself.

Chocola teapot
08-10-10, 14:21
How Intriguing.

igonge
08-10-10, 16:58
LOL I'm gonna check this out! Sounds awesome! :D

ThatNorskChick
09-10-10, 08:39
A sci-fi? A western? Harrison Ford? YEAH MAN.

digitizedboy
09-10-10, 13:15
Nice idea :)

The only other time I remember when they mixed a Western theme with a Space/Sci-Fi one was when they made a movie called Battle Beyond the Stars. Which was a take off of the Magnificent Seven. (but in space. lol) It had John-Boy from The Waltons in it.

Dingaling
09-10-10, 14:23
For anyone who likes Sci-Fi Westerns check out Firefly :pi:.

The film sounds interesting enough plus the title alone has got it sold to me :D.

Dennis's Mom
27-07-11, 13:52
Well, it comes out Friday. Anyone still psyched? :D

Encore
27-07-11, 23:14
I am, but I have to wait another month here. :/

Carbonek_0051
28-07-11, 06:05
I'll be seeing it Friday. I mean, Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, & Noah Ringer? Who wouldn't want to see that? Well not only that, but Cowboys & Aliens? What better plot could there be?

ThatNorskChick
28-07-11, 06:10
Hell yeah, I'm gonna try to snag someone to go see it with me this weekend.

leglion
28-07-11, 06:12
I'm seeing it on saturday. :)

robm_2007
28-07-11, 06:14
Noah Ringer?

IDK him>

Carbonek_0051
28-07-11, 06:15
IDK him>

Aang from the Last Airbender, I am probably the only person here who knows him (and loves him (in a totally non-sexual way)). I am looking forward to seeing him in his second big screen role. :D

robm_2007
28-07-11, 06:24
Aang from the Last Airbender, I am probably the only person here who knows him (and loves him (in a totally non-sexual way)). I am looking forward to seeing him in his second big screen role. :D

Oh, I never watched that, cuz I try not to watch movies worthy of walking out of.

I'll imdb him.

EDIT: im glad you dont sexually like him, since he's 13.

Shark_Blade
28-07-11, 07:54
No thanks, since I've already watched Gangsters vs Aliens (Attack the Block).

knightgames
28-07-11, 07:58
There's one section in the commercial for this movie that looks like Daniel Craig is punching an alien. It reminds me of Will Smith punching the alien in Independence Day. If Daniel says "Welcome to Earff*" I'm gonna barf.

* I know it's Earth, but it's always sounded like Earff to me.

Overall, I'm only mildly interested in Cowboys and Aliens. Here's a quote from James Verniere, my local film critic.

"As its Z-grade movie title suggests, “Cowboys & Aliens” isn’t “Hamlet.” It’s more like “Omelet,” an eggy, cheesy mess with big chunks of chewy smoked ham."

He gives it a C+. I don't always agree with him based on his some of his likes and dislikes. He's somewhat movie snobbish and doesn't realize that summer movies ARE supposed to be fun, and sometimes nothing more than that. Even so, I've seen enough movies that were reviewed by him that I usually tend to agree with his final score.

Carbonek_0051
28-07-11, 23:09
Well are you expecting a masterpiece or something? It's based off a graphic novel, and meant to be a fun summer film.

robm_2007
28-07-11, 23:12
^ That omelet the critic is comparing it to makes the film seem delicious.

Carbonek_0051
28-07-11, 23:14
^ That omelet the critic is comparing it to makes the film seem delicious.

Still from a lot of the reviews it seems like they were expecting too much, which is why critics annoy me. Not every film needs to be Academy Award winning material.

Tyrannosaurus
28-07-11, 23:20
I'm skeptical, so I'm waiting for the reviews. It certainly has potential, since I love cross-genre pollination, but the preview I saw made it look like a gimmicky action movie wherein the technologically inferior cowboys defeat a race of boring aliens. You would think that battle would end quickly in the aliens' favor.

Carbonek_0051
28-07-11, 23:23
You would think that battle would end quickly in the aliens' favor.

I hate this logic. Seriously? Then there would be no major plot for the film and it would probably last like 30 minutes! GET CREATIVE PEOPLE! Not everything needs to be completely logical. Jesus.

Angelus
29-07-11, 01:16
This film is SUPPOSED to be ridiculous, and I can't wait to go see it! :yah:

Shark_Blade
29-07-11, 03:59
You know now that I thought about it..we have so many VS Aliens movies, seriously.

- Cowboy vs Aliens
- Monsters vs Aliens
- Gangsters vs Aliens
- Alien vs Predators

I'm sure there's more..

Why are we so generally violent towards the extraterrestial? Why can't we be friendly towards them like E.T. movie? :p

Camera Obscura
29-07-11, 04:14
You know now that I thought about it..we have so many VS Aliens movies, seriously.

- Cowboy vs Aliens
- Monsters vs Aliens
- Gangsters vs Aliens
- Alien vs Predators

I'm sure there's more..

Why are we so generally violent towards the extraterrestial? Why can't we be friendly towards them like E.T. movie? :p

E.T. vs Aliens

Now that's a movie I'd pay money to see! :cln:

Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford are enough for me to want to see this movie. If only I weren't so broke atm. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD, just like Captain America and Deathly Hallows. Damn you expensive summer movies. :(

knightgames
29-07-11, 16:54
Still from a lot of the reviews it seems like they were expecting too much, which is why critics annoy me. Not every film needs to be Academy Award winning material.

That is one of the reasons I do disagree with Verniere. He's rather high brow in his classification of movies. To me summer movies aren't much more than entertainment... a diversion. That's what they're for - FUN. He seems to think that all movies have to have a purpose or be Oscar contenders to be worthy of consideration. While I on the other hand think that SWAMP THING is a fun, horrible movie that happens to be one of my guilty pleasures in cinema.

Often times after reading his review I'll find the very things he dislikes about certain movies to jibe with my thoughts too, and we invariably give the same marks. So while I can take a movie at face value; content wise I agree with a lot of his assessments.

Omlettes are delicious, and this movie HAS to be better than Harrison Ford's last Indy film. If C&A is a C+ movie it beats Indy and the Crystal Skull hands down.

Danni
29-07-11, 17:30
Trailer. Looks. Awesomee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJixNxFxhT4

Definately maybe, gunna go see this :D

star-dust
07-08-11, 06:03
Has anyone else seen this yet?

I saw it last week and I have to say I enjoyed it. The only thing is for some reason I thought there was going to be a bit of comedy... I knew it was a science fiction/thriller kind of movie. But I thought some kind of comic relief and there was none. Either that, or I missed it. :p I'd still watch it again though. :)