PDA

View Full Version : Changes you'd like to see on the forums

Pages : [1] 2

MattTR
09-10-10, 12:11
Greetings everyone,

I woke up and noticed people talking about some spam that went down this morning, well I noticed quite a lot of it over these past couple months, even brutal enough to involve me personally. I'm not going into details, but it has to stop. So I'm making this thread to get your ideas together to suggest Justin into what you'd like to see done or what in general you don't like about what's been going down lately. Whether it's moderation, cosmetic, or just storming ideas feel free to post what you think would help the forum. :)

As for one of my ideas, if possible.. I'd like to see Justin limiting registration to maybe once a week per IP address, again I'm not sure it's possible but it would help reduce spam.

Also more moderators in different timezones (which has also been mentioned) needs to actually be put fourth as soon as possible to prevent anything else being posted inappropriately.

That is all. :tmb:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
09-10-10, 12:14
I think you should get a little leniency for major holidays in regards to Avatar changes (Christmas & Halloween mainly).

Liara
09-10-10, 12:16
What I'd like to see? A new banner. >.>

MattTR
09-10-10, 12:16
I think you should get a little leniency for major holidays in regards to Avatar changes (Christmas & Halloween mainly).

A nice cosmetic suggestion indeed. :tmb:

What I'd like to see? A new banner. >.>

I hosted a banner contest and the winner was voted upon and we're still waiting on details of its status. Bear with me. :hug:

dizzydoil
09-10-10, 12:17
I don't want the banner to change. I mean, I did- but I'm scared of change. It'll make the place feel different.

I believe we need more moderators, as already mentioned. I know ten+ is already a lot, but it's not a enough- especially for this lively bunch. :D

Johnnay
09-10-10, 12:17
Hmmmmmmmmmm

for me it will be

just less spammage and more fun on this forum:)

bring back the old members, the one which made my time last year and this year:)

obey the mods, that is all

]{eith
09-10-10, 12:23
Oh what does it matter anyway? Nothing ever changes here and in a month, two months, there'll be another spam fest, followed by a clean up, followed by a thread of suggestions as to what we can do to make the forum better. Nothing will change and then a month, two months later the cycle will repeat. That's TRF, that's how it goes. :p

tampi
09-10-10, 12:24
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1323/sinttulo1ui.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/sinttulo1ui.jpg/):cln:

]{eith
09-10-10, 12:25
want.

Paddy
09-10-10, 12:25
Hmmmmmmmmmm

for me it will be

just less spammage and more fun on this forum:)

bring back the old members, the one which made my time last year and this year:)

obey the mods, that is all

I obey Sakis mum.

MattTR
09-10-10, 12:26
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1323/sinttulo1ui.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/sinttulo1ui.jpg/):cln:

So one of the Larson squares is in my avatar is part of the theme? I like this. :cln:

Johnnay
09-10-10, 12:26
I obey Sakis mum.

you obey my mum at all times:)

Paddy
09-10-10, 12:28
you obey my mum at all times:)
She prefers the rebellious type :p

Johnnay
09-10-10, 12:28
i know:)

MattTR
09-10-10, 12:29
Keep it on topic all, mum's don't do anything for me.. :vlol:

Paddy
09-10-10, 12:30
Keep it on topic all, mum's don't do anything for me.. :vlol:

Dude you cant have a thread without a bit of warped humour :vlol:

MattTR
09-10-10, 12:32
Dude you cant have a thread without a bit of warped humour :vlol:

Well I tried to be funny. :whi: :p

Paddy
09-10-10, 12:52
Well I tried to be funny. :whi: :p
I see what you did there :vlol:

Anubis_AF
09-10-10, 13:04
Matt, remember when we used to host TR Banner competitions? :D Every body would participate, I loved that :tmb: And I'd love to see it again.

MyRaider4Life
09-10-10, 13:06
To be able to make our own polls! We used to be able to do it, I think, and now we can't. I honestly don't understand why...

Mad Tony
09-10-10, 13:15
A bit of a crackdown on the off-topic spam fests that seem to emerge in threads when certain combinations of members post. It'd be nice to upload our own avatars too but I wont hold my breath on that one.

MyRaider4Life
09-10-10, 13:28
Oh! I have another one! For people who like be inconsiderate to others on the forum, we should have the Spoiler boxes! They are similar to a quote box, but they have a button which reveals what is written inside them, this would be an awesome spoiler feature!

Mad Tony
09-10-10, 13:33
Oh! I have another one! For people who like be inconsiderate to others on the forum, we should have the Spoiler boxes! They are similar to a quote box, but they have a button which reveals what is written inside them, this would be an awesome spoiler feature!We already have white text. You can just put outside it.

ajrich17901
09-10-10, 13:35
A bit of a crackdown on the off-topic spam fests that seem to emerge in threads when certain combinations of members post. It'd be nice to upload our own avatars too but I wont hold my breath on that one.

This is about it, I could care less about avatars. I just wanna see more cracking down, if people wanna act like children they should be treated as such.

MyRaider4Life
09-10-10, 13:35
We already have white text. You can just put outside it.

That is totally not the same, I can still see every single white texted post made on this forum and my screen brightness is up quite high so they should all blend in.

remote91
09-10-10, 13:37
The ability to change our own avatars.

Srsly..

Mad Tony
09-10-10, 13:41
That is totally not the same, I can still see every single white texted post made on this forum and my screen brightness is up quite high so they should all blend in.You can't see it if it's on white background and you haven't highlighted it.

Paddy
09-10-10, 13:42
We already have white text. You can just put outside it.

Some people like to quote and forget to remove the white text :p
I like the spoiler tag idea tbh.

MyRaider4Life
09-10-10, 13:43
To bad the text background is not white, oh and to state what I said before "I can still see every single white texted post made on this forum and my screen brightness is up quite high so they should all blend in." :)

Phlip
09-10-10, 13:43
Some new skins (including temporary holiday ones).
Self-uploading avatars, FFS. Seriously, someone is more likely to post a rule-breaking pic or something in a post rather the use it as their avatar, and if you're scared about viruses, set it to URL upload only. Same for self-uploading profile pics.

Dingaling
09-10-10, 13:44
That is totally not the same, I can still see every single white texted post made on this forum and my screen brightness is up quite high so they should all blend in.

If you want to blend the words into the background completely use [ color=#F5F5FF] without the space around the code obviously. [ /color] I do agree that an actual spoiler tag would make life far easier though.

You can't see it if it's on white background and you haven't highlighted it.

The forum background is not completely white though so white text is still visible though harder to make it.

Jami393
09-10-10, 13:47
What about a chat box where all the members of the forums can talk live aswell as keeping the PM system.

Mad Tony
09-10-10, 13:51
Some people like to quote and forget to remove the white text :p
I like the spoiler tag idea tbh.That's the obvious downside.

ajrich17901
09-10-10, 13:53
What about a chat box where all the members of the forums can talk live aswell as keeping the PM system.

A forum I was on years ago had one at the bottom of the page, made the forum lag worse than an online game. I vote no lol.

]{eith
09-10-10, 14:01
A chatbox would be a great idea. Not every forum slows just because of a chatbox. I'm on a few forums with chatboxes and there's no problem. They also make a great outlet for spammers, helping to dilute spam from the boards.

tomblover
09-10-10, 14:24
Spoiler feature
Chatbox
Leniency with avatar changes regarding holidays
More variety in timezones with moderators
Polls being available for everyone to make

Basically all of the above. That's really it. :/

the ancient
09-10-10, 14:32
wow the things from this morning are getting a lot of attention

more mods would be good

Draco
09-10-10, 15:34
In short:

Changing of the Guard staffwise.

An actual TR theme.

Less SS/KGB style running of the forum.

And a member powered forum Parliament to help keep it from devolving back to today's TRF.

tonyme
09-10-10, 15:52
A member suggested a chatroom and I think that's a great idea:)

lara c. fan
09-10-10, 15:54

If you think this is too much, you should see my school. God, I hate that place now.

Mikky
09-10-10, 15:57
Get rid of a certain member or two. :whi:

In all seriousness, I really think everything's fine as it is. I mean, not all forum's are perfect, and trying to make this one perfect is a fool's errand.

mudkip25
09-10-10, 16:00
I'm on a Forum and they have a "General Spam Thread" and when you post, it doesn't count towards your total posts. We need that... :pi:

Mikky
09-10-10, 16:03
I'm on a Forum and they have a "General Spam Thread" and when you post, it doesn't count towards your total posts. We need that... :pi:

Good idea. But tbh, I'm not sure that many people would post in it. :o

Draco
09-10-10, 16:03
If you think this is too much, you should see my school. God, I hate that place now.

TRF has changed and not for the better.

These days the mods get up in members' grills about stuff that was perfectly acceptable not even six months ago, banning over nothing, and just generally being jerks... because they can.

Most of the mods don't even post like normal members anymore, which to me says more than anything else.

Anyway, I don't want to drag this thread through the dirt.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 16:07
In short:

Changing of the Guard staffwise.

An actual TR theme.

And a member powered forum Parliament to help keep it from devolving back to today's TRF.

With the members we have on this board today, I am going to have to say no, yeah, no, and DEFINATELY no.

Most people are under the impression that online boards are a democracy. Pffft... As if. If anything, they are a constitutional monarcy. You have been given the privilege of posting on this board if you adhere by the given T&C... Its not a right.

Draco
09-10-10, 16:12
With the members we have on this board today, I am going to have to say no, yeah, no, and DEFINATELY no.

Most people are under the impression that online boards are a democracy. Pffft... As if. If anything, they are a constitutional monarcy. You have been given the privilege of posting on this board if you adhere by the given T&C... Its not a right.

The T&C does not apply to mods.

jackles
09-10-10, 16:19
as a mod I obey the t&c....but then I always tried to as a member member!

Oh and can I have the pink and yellow theme....it reminds me of sweeties!!

Phlip
09-10-10, 16:28
It's always weird how members say that loads of mods are unfair without actually naming them... or are you too scared?

digitizedboy
09-10-10, 16:33
Uncensored swearing.

j/k

Draco
09-10-10, 16:33
It's always weird how members say that loads of mods are unfair without actually naming them... or are you too scared?

You think they will let a list remain undeleted?

What TRF are you browsing?

Mr.Burns
09-10-10, 16:35
I obey the T&C, always have. As for not posting like normal members, that's because I have a lot going on in my life right now and don't always have the mental energy to post. I am here every day, lurking, reading and keeping an eye on people as best as I can but sometimes I just don't have the energy to say more than a simple hello. I won't apologize for that but at least I still try to make the effort to come here and help out the moderation staff when I can.

Encore
09-10-10, 16:38
The forum isn't a democracy but it certainly ain't a dictatorship either. No one is forcing anyone to stick around. I'm not necessarily saying that unhappy members should leave, but... if I also felt that the forum is like the SS or KGB, I would do it myself. It's only worth staying when you still believe that you can have fun here, or at least that things can change for the better. I know people don't want to hear this, but TRF is just a forum, it's not your job or your classroom.

I'm not. I've said countless times that EscondeR doesn't have the necessary maturity and language skills to be a moderator in an english speaking forum. :p

Phlip
09-10-10, 16:39
Uncensored swearing.

j/k

This, actually. tbh, ONLY the F and C words should actually be censored (except the first letter of the F word,) considering all other swears are very mild and are unlikely to affect a 13 year old.

Draco
09-10-10, 16:48
I'm not. I've said countless times that EscondeR doesn't have the necessary maturity and language skills to be a moderator in an english speaking forum. :p

You aren't the only one.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 16:54
Esc has been decisive and has taken quick action in situations that require immediate attention and swift uncompromising solutions. That alone is good enough a reason to keep him around as a mod on the forums these days.

Draco
09-10-10, 16:57
Esc has been decisive and has taken quick action in situations that require immediate attention and swift uncompromising solutions. That alone is good enough a reason to keep him around as a mod on the forums these days.

Than I'll thank my lucky stars you don't have anyone's ear around here.

ozzman
09-10-10, 16:59
General TR thread- i think we need one for some reason

Chat box- sounds fun

Catapharact
09-10-10, 17:00
Than I'll thank my lucky stars you don't have anyone's ear around here.

I will gladly take Esc's english over gif postings, lolcats, unwarrented flamboyance and forum speak anyday ;).

larafan25
09-10-10, 17:02
Why do people have problems with LOL cats, gifs and flamboyance?

Flamboyant personalities are much fun.:)

Nenya awakens
09-10-10, 17:02
Unwarranted Flamboyance? Care to elaborate?

Catapharact
09-10-10, 17:03
Why do people have problems with LOL cats, gifs and flamboyance?

They are just plain annoying. Simple as that.

Unwarranted Flamboyance? Care to elaborate?

I could cite examples but then that would be considered "harassment" and "defamation" :whi:.

larafan25
09-10-10, 17:08
They are just plain annoying. Simple as that.

I could cite examples but then that would be considered "harassment" and "defamation" :whi:.

strikingly bold or brilliant; showy: flamboyant colors.

conspicuously dashing and colorful: the flamboyant idol of international society.

florid; ornate; elaborately styled: flamboyant speeches.

What in the world could be wrong with this!? D:

Catapharact
09-10-10, 17:12
What in the world could be wrong with this!? D:

That's a very open interpertation of the word. IMO there is a time and place for flamboyance and its usually around people who you consider "close" friends. I for one don't like it and really do not like to associate with people who abuse the concept. Hence why usually ignore them or don't want anything to do with em.

However I have accepted the fact that's its could be a part of some member's "colourful" personality :whi:. If I can tolerate such beings on this forum, then I am sure people can get over Escs English mistakes.

Draco
09-10-10, 17:13

Quite a few Esconderp post's can be said to be the same. I still haven't seen any evidence that anything happened to him for his unwarranted and unprovoked attacks on me.

larafan25
09-10-10, 17:15
That's a very open interpertation of the word. IMO there is a time and place for flamboyance and its usually around people who you consider "close" friends. I for one don't like it and really do not like to associate with people who abuse the concept. Hence why usually ignore them or don't want anything to do with em.

However I have accepted the fact that's its could be a part of some member's "colourful" personality :whi:. If I can tolerate such beings on this forum, then I am sure people can get over Escs English mistakes.

One would think the ability to be flamboyant around strangers is a good quality, as apposed to being some sort of antisocial wolf kid I guess.

Mad Tony
09-10-10, 17:16
I will gladly take Esc's english over gif postings, lolcats, unwarrented flamboyance and forum speak anyday ;).Very good point. The gifs and just general campness are particularly annoying.

laralover_07
09-10-10, 17:18
I'd like to see a ban of sticks from all arses.

Mr.Burns
09-10-10, 17:21
Quite a few Esconderp post's can be said to be the same. I still haven't seen any evidence that anything happened to him for his unwarranted and unprovoked attacks on me.

I'm not taking Alex's side here but you certainly have NOT been taking the higher ground as I have suggested and ignore him. Taking a shot at him at every opportunity is not what I would call a mature approach regardless of what YOU think are the issues with him. Go take this up with Justin privately and not out in this forum publicly.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 17:22

On an average day, I have to deal with you and the crying sessions of God knows how many forum members who have not only at numerous times defaced the pics I have posted of myself like some immature thugs but have openly insulted me with posts that would actually have gotten me into a lot of trouble had it been me posting such things about them.

However, I haven't seen any stern action taken against them either. Is it unfair? Definately. Am I going to make a big deal out of it? Certainly not. I like to fight my fights fairly ;).

One would think the ability to be flamboyant around strangers is a good quality, as apposed to being some sort of antisocial wolf kid I guess.

Being extremely flamboyant is just about as bad as being extremely anti-social. Both are equally annoying.

larafan25
09-10-10, 17:22
^Luckily there are enough diverse personalities on this forum.

I'd like to see a ban of sticks from all arses.

Good idea.

Draco
09-10-10, 17:26
I'm not taking Alex's side here but you certainly have NOT been taking the higher ground as I have suggested and ignore him. Taking a shot at him at every opportunity is not what I would call a mature approach regardless of what YOU think are the issues with him. Go take this up with Justin privately and not out in this forum publicly.

I don't take a shot at him at every opportunity. I'm the one who was banned for nothing just days ago. I post on topic and constructively. You guys just don't always like subject matter and choose to try to bully me into changing the subject. You've done it yourself.

Draco
09-10-10, 17:30
On an average day, I have to deal with you

I have done... what to you?

and the crying sessions of God knows how many forum members who have not only at numerous times defaced the pics I have posted of myself like some immature thugs but have openly insulted me with posts that would actually have gotten me into a lot of trouble had it been me posting such things about them.

Well I'd say a lot of them have the same opinion of you. They think you get special treatment.

However, I haven't seen any stern action taken against them either. Is it unfair? Definately. Am I going to make a big deal out of it? Certainly not. I like to fight my fights fairly ;).

No you don't lol. A fair fight is hard to win and you obviously believe you can't lose... so you don't believe it is a fair fight :p

Catapharact
09-10-10, 17:36
I have done... what to you?

Nothing! But according to conventional whiney TRF wisdom, your aggressive stance and your callous outlook on topics posted on this forum equate to you being a pain in the ass ;). So I have to blame you for making this forum oh so unpleasent for me. [/SARCASAM]

Well I'd say a lot of them have the same opinion of you. They think you get special treatment.

Special treatment? Hah! I usually don't make things personal unlike others who do, but when I do make em personal its always ends with the idiot running up to the mods with the "waaaaahhhh! Cat is mean!" statement.

Don't start none. There would be none.

No you don't lol. A fair fight is hard to win and you obviously believe you can't lose... so you don't believe it is a fair fight :p

Not true. They are entitled to forge a strong resolve and become more tenacious ;). Having a weak will is no excuse.

Mr.Burns
09-10-10, 17:43
I don't take a shot at him at every opportunity. I'm the one who was banned for nothing just days ago. I post on topic and constructively. You guys just don't always like subject matter and choose to try to bully me into changing the subject. You've done it yourself.

*snorts* I don't bully. I enforce the terms and conditions. You're just acting like a baby who's had his toy taken away and are crying bloody murder. Now this might seem harsh but so be it. You seem to paint me as a bully even though you can ask anyone here that I am not. You have offered some very constructive ideas to Justin and we gave them consideration. I find it interesting that towards Justin in a PM or email, you come off as quite open minded, fair, reasonable and with very constructive ideas yet when you post on here, you spout nothing but venom packaged in the attempt to seem like you're being constructive. I'll listen to those that don't attempt to stir up crap here.

Catracoth
09-10-10, 17:44
I would simply like a new theme. :)

remote91
09-10-10, 17:48
http://i54.************/2s0cuw9.jpg

Oh my lord...

lara_bond
09-10-10, 17:57
:off:

Seriously guys.

remote91
09-10-10, 17:58
:off:

Seriously guys.
LOL

I really dislike the mod wannabes that are cropping up everywhere

lord gaga
09-10-10, 18:00
They need a new banner for the top and remove the "last edited" thing,it makes posts look ugly and should only be shown when the editor whats to give a reason.

robbie_rawr
09-10-10, 18:08
Id like to see a nice filter, so only nice words are allowed. :D
! MAKE LOVE NOT WAR !

Draco
09-10-10, 18:18
*snorts* I don't bully. I enforce the terms and conditions.

Which of those covers

Draco, shut up and get back on topic.

which was completely unwarranted at the time you said it, in it's entirety.

You're just acting like a baby who's had his toy taken away and are crying bloody murder. Now this might seem harsh but so be it.

I've been insulted, banned, threatened, and just generally targeted by the 'staff' for the last few months. For NO reason. What do you expect me to do? Ignore it? Not likely to happen. Sorry.

You seem to paint me as a bully even though you can ask anyone here that I am not.

I paint you as the guy who left the mod team for all the reasons I've said something needs to change, then came back and is now the champion of the cause... whatever it may be. Is this not true?

You have offered some very constructive ideas to Justin and we gave them consideration.

Thank you.

I find it interesting that towards Justin in a PM or email, you come off as quite open minded, fair, reasonable and with very constructive ideas yet when you post on here, you spout nothing but venom packaged in the attempt to seem like you're being constructive.

For all his faults, Justin has never given me a reason to feel unwelcome. I can't say the same about some of the mods, which is why I have a hard time talking to you without an acid tongue.

Rules are for all, not just who is most convenient for you.

EscondeR
09-10-10, 18:32
Rules are for all, not just who is most convenient for you.

Not to shake the air: All includes you. Does that compute? Or you need ASM.

And BTW about KGB: Don't talk about things you have no tiny insight of.

Draco
09-10-10, 18:37
Not to shake the air: All includes you. Does that compute? Or you need ASM.

Yes it includes me, regardless what you believe.

And BTW about KGB: Don't talk about things you have no tiny insight of.

Just stop talking. Seriously.

MattTR
09-10-10, 18:41
Wow.. offline for a bit and look what happens. :ton:

Things like this makes me think we need to go old school and use the warning system again. :whi:

Once you hit this:
http://www.tone-lizard.com/images/StrikeThree.gif

You're out! :vlol:

Mr.Burns
09-10-10, 18:42
I paint you as the guy who left the mod team for all the reasons I've said something needs to change, then came back and is now the champion of the cause... whatever it may be. Is this not true?

I left the moderation team because I had a family crisis going on and with the stress it was causing me, I opted to not be in a position of authority so I would not abuse it.

As for that shut up comment, that was out of line and I could have sworn I posted an apology but obviously I didn't so I do so now. Twas a very bad day.

I agree that a change is needed but whining, crying and spouting venom in an attempt to stir up rebellion isn't going to work. All you're doing is causing a lot of unneeded drama and pot stirring, which to be blunt: is pretty obvious to most of us that, that is your intention. Since that is counter productive to the rules you agreed to when you registered here, we're treating it accordingly. Stop the trolling and pot stirring and we'll stop banning you.

Mr.Burns
09-10-10, 18:44
I'm closing this so tempers can cool off. Alex, drop it. Draco, the same goes for you as well. Your trolling is not doing anything conductive to this forum. I'll re open this later when people have calmed down.

MattTR
10-10-10, 19:59
Right, so now that the threads back maybe we can keep it civil. ;)

Keep the well informed input coming, all! :D

Isaac
10-10-10, 20:15
The thing I'd really like to have is a chatbox. I mean, there's not really a specific place to chat and get to know the other members without adding them on MSN. Plus, I just don't feel like writing a post in Open Chat and noticing that 20 other posts were added while I was writing mine... It's also less direct.

As for avatar change, I can live the way it is, because I know lot of people who would change their avatar every week/day, which can become confusing when identifying someone... We have to learn to think before posting for an avatar change, being sure that we will like it for a month or two.

tampi
10-10-10, 20:20
What about a News section?
I usually look online news portals.
We could have a curious local news section or something similar

I know this is hard work.:o

God Horus
10-10-10, 20:21
It is very upsetting to have to see some threads shut down for members to cool off, it is definitely the right decision made by the mods but it's sad to see it happen sometimes. Especially when MattTR made this thread with good intentions and it has spiraled out of control!

I think we all need to remain on topic!

I mentioned it before but I would like to see another person elected as moderator who is talented with LE specifically for the LE section, I think we need to have two really good, talented, LE mods and we already have Titak but aktrekker left so it is mostly her trying to handle everything there.

I would like to see the banner changed, but that is totally tlr's choice!

This isn't really related to TRF but I do go on www.tombraiderchronicles.com and sometimes www.laracroft.tv a lot, I would like to see the sites maybe updated in the future but that is not that important.

I know a lot of people want to upload their own avatars but I understand why Justin may feel as though that is not necessary, the current system is fine imo, but it would be nice if older members with a specific number of posts, good contributors, would be allowed to upload their own avatars. This has been debated many times before but some experimentation on the matter would be good.

robm_2007
10-10-10, 20:21
i think that the forum is acceptable the way that it is now, i cant think of anything that requires dire changing; except maybe more moderators?

maybe some of the former mods can retake thier crown adn return with their moderating, thats to say that they have the time and patience for such a job.

i think a chat box could be nice, but it would prolly just make the forum lag a lot.

Los Angeles
10-10-10, 20:22
Being able to post a picture in your signature...

Tony9595
10-10-10, 20:24
That's something I love on this forum. I can already see the forum plagued with Lady GaGa pictures along with quotes of her songs in lots of members signatures... *shivers*

IceColdLaraCroft
10-10-10, 20:24
Being able to post a picture in your signature...

NO

b/c then you'd just post MORE gaga...there's enough GAGA on here already!

Tony9595
10-10-10, 20:25
^ I ♥ U :p

LaraCablara
10-10-10, 20:25
Ok seriously, this forum has been open for like what, 10 years? and it doesn't look remotely Tomb Raider themed.

MangelinaJolie
10-10-10, 20:26
Gaga aside, that would just make everything look more cluttered. The fact that isn't allowed is one of the reasons why I like this forum above others.

TombRaiderLover
10-10-10, 20:27
NO

b/c then you'd just post MORE gaga...there's enough GAGA on here already!
Damn right.

silviu_raider
10-10-10, 20:28
Gaga aside, that would just make everything look more cluttered. The fact that isn't allowed is one of the reasons why I like this forum above others.
Exactly.
The signature is okay as it is right now, maybe if it'd be a little longer it'd be nice.

I'd like more skins.
Maybe not many, but a few, or maybe to, somehow, customize them ourselves, if that'd be possible.
I'd also like to be able to change our avatars and profile pictures a little sooner. :p

Sir Croft
10-10-10, 20:30
Hm... A new board style would be good, I remember that green one Justin tested some years ago but then got canned. It was cool. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything, I like it the way it is right now.

TombRaiderLover
10-10-10, 20:33
Hm... A new board style would be good, I remember that green one Justin tested some years ago but then got canned. It was cool.
Was that the Xbox one?

I remember the Halloween skin, which I thought looked fantastic. I think it only lasted for a couple of days, though.

Sir Croft
10-10-10, 20:37
Was that the Xbox one?

I remember the Halloween skin, which I thought looked fantastic. I think it only lasted for a couple of days, though.

I guess it was. It wouldn't be prudent to go back to that one, though. I can see people bashing it and saying TRF has become another Xbox exclusivity.

IceColdLaraCroft
10-10-10, 20:41
Oooo i know!

a new platform game! that would bring some excitement to the boards.

tampi
10-10-10, 20:46
Was that the Xbox one?

But that was little comfort Skin.
I had to activate it every time I went to the forum.

I don't know whether it is possible to customize the look from personal page so that always saves the changes.

E.g. The posts of those marked as friends could appear in a different color.

Encore
10-10-10, 20:59
Ok seriously, this forum has been open for like what, 10 years? and it doesn't look remotely Tomb Raider themed.

Yeah... I'd love to see some pastel earth tones that would be easier on the eye, and a "tomb" feel to the whole thing.

However, I think that maybe it isn't financially viable to have more themes. I don't how it works, but maybe Justin would have to pay for those functions and judging from the threads on the donation subject, things aren't particularly bright right now.

trXD
10-10-10, 21:00
Personal preference wise, I don't think a tomb colored forum would be very attractive looking =/

silviu_raider
10-10-10, 21:01
Personal preference wise, I don't think a tomb colored forum would be very attractive looking =/
It depends on the colours and style they choose.
I really liked the way the Legend website was designed. :)

trXD
10-10-10, 21:03
It depends on the colours and style they choose.
I really liked the way the Legend website was designed. :)

I really liked that website too :)

But for a forum that you browse on? Plants, foliage and rocks on the screen everywhere, kinda annoying.

Even if everything was just brown or grey that would be ugly for a whole other reason.

Encore
10-10-10, 21:06
I really liked that website too :)

But for a forum that you browse on? Plants, foliage and rocks on the screen everywhere, kinda annoying.

Even if everything was just brown or grey that would be ugly for a whole other reason.

:vlol:

You have a limited imagination when it comes to design. I said "tomb feel", not "look exactly like a tomb". Basically I meant the appropriate colour schemes and ocasional design elements.

And whether you like it or not, pastel tones are easier for the eye.

Love2Raid
10-10-10, 21:08
A nice Tomb Raider forum skin would be cool, the standard V-Bulletin one is sooo boring and common. But it should still be optional, so that extremely conservative people can still visit the forums.
I think I can speak for everyone if I say that the 60 seconds wait between searches is highly annoying, does it really have to be 60 seconds?! A typo is easily made. Maybe it could be brought down to at least 30 seconds? :o
The ability to upload our own avatars.
Spoiler tags. Why don´t we have them? I know V-Bulletin supports them, because I have seen them on other forums and they work much better than this ´white text´ bull****.
´Official´ competitions, with prizes. The TRF-quiz was so incredibly awesome and we have made lots of new friends that way. It was great. I´m disappointed that we didn´t have one this year. :(

I´m happy with the XNALara subforum by the way! :)

trXD
10-10-10, 21:08
:vlol:

You have a limited imagination when it comes to design. I said "tomb feel", not "look exactly like a tomb". Basically I meant the appropriate colour schemes and ocasional design elements.

And whether you like it or not, pastel tones are easier for the eye.

No, I wasn't talking about what you said, I was talking about the tomb raider legend website design, which was all stuff like that.

Los Angeles
10-10-10, 21:10
But.. more GAGA is what we need on here...

just kidding.

tampi
10-10-10, 21:16
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2146/startrektngpanel.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/i/startrektngpanel.jpg/)

Nefertiti_89
10-10-10, 22:46
Gah please no more Gaga or picture signatures!!! Australian internet isn't capable of handling that much!!!

And also, I think the mods need to stop playing favourites yes? I mean some members say things that get them banned, permabanned even, but if I said it, or if anyone else almost had've said it, it would go unnoticed and that's wrong. We all know it happens, and it never used to bother me until some of my friends became the ones who were being unfairly threatened, abused, banned, and defamed even after some of them have been permabanned.

Mods being able to delete posts is also wrong - that's not moderation, that's censorship and last I checked this wasn't a communist country in the early 20th century. Plus its annoying when I go to read a thread in the morning (when most of you all are asleep since I live on the other side of the world and thus have to play catchup all the time) and bits don't make sense because some powermad moderator with a superiority complex to boot, deleted a post he/she didn't like. It would be more mature to deal with the poster in question and request them to edit their post, if they refuse more than 3 times, then the mods may edit the post because the party has refused to comply.

Also, I think the T&C needs revising and everyone should have to agree to the new version before they can log back in, or they can leave because I know the T&C now isn't the same as what some of us agreed to, so we can't be held accountable to it as we didn't agree to the changes.

Anyway thats my 2c, take it or leave it but I do think that the way this place is run needs a big makeover before we worry about petty things like skins.

jjbennett
10-10-10, 22:56
All i would like is a darker theme, been asking for YEARS for that to no avail. Im not fussed about spam or gaga ********, i just dont open the threads.

robm_2007
10-10-10, 23:22
And also, I think the mods need to stop playing favourites yes? I mean some members say things that get them banned, permabanned even, but if I said it, or if anyone else almost had've said it, it would go unnoticed and that's wrong.

Mods being able to delete posts is also wrong - that's not moderation, that's censorship and last I checked this wasn't a communist country in the early 20th century.

certain ppl are repeat offenders so they get in trouble more. if you have a rather clean slate adn you say something bad or whatever, they will be more linient.

they might not even notice something innapropiate that a certain person says, becuase it might get buried in the thread.

and we NEED censorship, sometimes ppl will post innapropriate things (nudity, censor circumvention with swearing, or just plain immature insults about other people)

we dont have Freedom of Speech on TRF, but the guidelines that we are given are rather good.

Tony9595
10-10-10, 23:24
we dont have Freedom of Speech on TRF, but the guidelines that we are given are rather good.

Exactly, it makes it a nice place. :tmb:

Mad Tony
10-10-10, 23:24
One thing that does annoy me is that mods can sometimes be all too quick to brand a debate an argument.

Paddy
10-10-10, 23:28
Gah please no more Gaga or picture signatures!!! Australian internet isn't capable of handling that much!!!

And also, I think the mods need to stop playing favourites yes? I mean some members say things that get them banned, permabanned even, but if I said it, or if anyone else almost had've said it, it would go unnoticed and that's wrong. We all know it happens, and it never used to bother me until some of my friends became the ones who were being unfairly threatened, abused, banned, and defamed even after some of them have been permabanned.

Mods being able to delete posts is also wrong - that's not moderation, that's censorship and last I checked this wasn't a communist country in the early 20th century. Plus its annoying when I go to read a thread in the morning (when most of you all are asleep since I live on the other side of the world and thus have to play catchup all the time) and bits don't make sense because some powermad moderator with a superiority complex to boot, deleted a post he/she didn't like. It would be more mature to deal with the poster in question and request them to edit their post, if they refuse more than 3 times, then the mods may edit the post because the party has refused to comply.

Also, I think the T&C needs revising and everyone should have to agree to the new version before they can log back in, or they can leave because I know the T&C now isn't the same as what some of us agreed to, so we can't be held accountable to it as we didn't agree to the changes.

Anyway thats my 2c, take it or leave it but I do think that the way this place is run needs a big makeover before we worry about petty things like skins.
Well said :tmb:

Catracoth
10-10-10, 23:31
One thing that does annoy me is that mods can sometimes be all too quick to brand a debate an argument.

I understand and agree with this - I've seen it happen in the past in which a simple debate was labelled an argument because someone's opinions were questioned in a joking manner.

Nefertiti_89
10-10-10, 23:38

And if anyone knows that its us with the amount of debate we've gotten into in the past! :p

certain ppl are repeat offenders so they get in trouble more. if you have a rather clean slate adn you say something bad or whatever, they will be more linient.

they might not even notice something innapropiate that a certain person says, becuase it might get buried in the thread.

and we NEED censorship, sometimes ppl will post innapropriate things (nudity, censor circumvention with swearing, or just plain immature insults about other people)

What I mean is I've seen some repeat offenders go unnoticed, while others can't even give an opinion - no matter how eloquently or not it is put - without being called a troll. That's what doesn't sit right with me.

Of course they should be able to delete nudity outside of the mature area, that goes without say. With swearing happening on prime time (hell, even in the news here sometimes) I don't know how much of a big deal some words are when it comes to censorship circumvention. Immature insults while uncalled for still shouldn't necessarily be deleted - they should be made example of.

Phlip
10-10-10, 23:51
Does anyone else agree with me on this? :otbh, ONLY the F and C words should actually be censored (except the first letter of the F word,) considering all other swears are very mild and are unlikely to affect a 13 year old.

xb4b1x
10-10-10, 23:52
Does anyone else agree with me on this? :o

I do

trlestew
10-10-10, 23:54
Especially since it's used in PG-13 media and T-rated games.

That, and I hear it (and worse) all the time where I live :o

Librarian
11-10-10, 00:39
Mods being able to delete posts is also wrong - that's not moderation, that's censorship and last I checked this wasn't a communist country in the early 20th century. Plus its annoying when I go to read a thread in the morning (when most of you all are asleep since I live on the other side of the world and thus have to play catchup all the time) and bits don't make sense because some powermad moderator with a superiority complex to boot, deleted a post he/she didn't like. It would be more mature to deal with the poster in question and request them to edit their post, if they refuse more than 3 times, then the mods may edit the post because the party has refused to comply..

I feel your pain :p

I realise it's just a suggestion, but I'm not sure the 'request they edit three times' idea is very viable. The mods on the forum already have their work cut out for them, and having to message people a bunch of times before eventually having to do it themselves anyway would be pretty time-consuming. They could use that time much more effectively for other things. Plus they'd probably cop some abuse from the hot-headed members out there, some of whom seem to feel victimised by mods already. So yeah, maybe they shouldn't be able to delete them, but I think they should be able to edit them, provided the blurb stating the post has been edited by a mod stays.

Good point :tmb:

I'll jump on the bandwagon for more forum skins, I'm sick of this one.

The biggest change I'd like to see would be people getting along and acting maturely here, but I realise that's a big ask ;)

And no offence intended to Xmas, but if I see another picture of Lara's bewbs blown up to comical proportions posted irrelevantly (i.e. outside of a topic about Lara's chest) I won't be held accountable for my actions.

Paddy
11-10-10, 00:41
New forum themes I would like to see too.

MattTR
11-10-10, 00:57
Another small thing I forgot to mention, for some reason the memberlist is disabled. :eek:

ajrich17901
11-10-10, 02:00
I want the negativity to stop already, people are scared to post threads because of reactions like this
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=4938244&postcount=7

Why post when your gonna get nasty replies in return, if ya don't like something ignore it and move on people.

Johnnay
11-10-10, 02:03

this indeed

Paddy
11-10-10, 02:05
I want the negativity to stop already, people are scared to post threads because of reactions like this

Why post when your gonna get nasty replies in return, if ya don't like something ignore it and move on people.

But what if a negative opinion was constructive , why should people not be allowed to post it??
It goes 2 ways, shouldnt just be a forum where only positive opinions are shared, if someone has a valid argument against something theyre just as entitled to say so.

ajrich17901
11-10-10, 02:06
But what if a negative opinion was constructive, why should people not be allowed to post it??

I didn't say that, its pretty obvious the poster is just making an ass out of the topic starter. Everyone has an opinion I get that, but it should be expressed better.

CiaKonwerski
11-10-10, 02:06
One thing that I would really like to see, that sort of bugs me a little, is for us to be able to re-name our threads. We are able to for about a minute or two after we post it, but then we are not able to any more, that bugs me. Why only for a couple minutes? That is one thing that I would change.

ajrich17901
11-10-10, 02:08
One thing that I would really like to see, that sort of bugs me a little, is for us to be able to re-name our threads. We are able to for about a minute or two after we post it, but then we are not able to any more, that bugs me. Why only for a couple minutes? That is one thing that I would change.

I'd actually like that also, it's a lot quicker than trying to get a mods attention lol.

Catapharact
11-10-10, 02:08

You can. Just go to the first post of your thread, click edit, and then click on "Go Advanced." I think it stays on for quite a while.

Encore
11-10-10, 02:10

Why on earth would you be scared of something like that??? If you don't like it, ignore it, but that certainly isn't reason enough for people to "fear" making threads. Because making a thread gets you attention, you should expect some of it to not be totally nice and flowery.

How do you deal with negativity in real life?

CiaKonwerski
11-10-10, 02:11
You can. Just go to the first post of your thread, click edit, and then click on "Go Advanced." I think it stays on for quite a while.

OH!, As Catracoth says below. :)

Johnnay
11-10-10, 02:11
You can. Just go to the first post of your thread, click edit, and then click on advanced edit. I think it stays on for quite a while.

Yes and No, yes because of what you said about the editing part but No because if you go and click(GC for example) and you see that thread with the spelling mistake and click on that to see the thread, you can see the spelling mistake at the top of the screen but at the OP's title will show the correct response

get it:D

Catracoth
11-10-10, 02:12

That doesn't change the title of the thread, it adds the title of the post.

CiaKonwerski
11-10-10, 02:13

:tmb: you are right.

Paddy
Why on earth would you be scared of something like that??? If you don't like it, ignore it, but that certainly isn't reason enough for people to "fear" making threads. Because making a thread gets you attention, you should expect some of it to not be totally nice and flowery.

How do you deal with negativity in real life?

I totally agree. I think in regards to certain things people need to develop a thicker skin.
Or to put it bluntly harden up :p

Catapharact

Not with the first post of the thread. I have actually used it quite a few times and it has worked.

Or maybe because I have edited it within 30 mins. after posting the thread.

MattTR
11-10-10, 02:16
Not with the first post of the thread. I have actually used it quite a few times and it has worked.

Or maybe because I have edited it within 30 mins. after posting the thread.

It works, but only for a minute after you made the thread.. in comparison to seeing the "last edited" under posts themselves.

I don't know why this is though, I don't think it's like that on other vBulletin forums.

Johnnay
12-10-10, 00:56
What i wanna see is a peaceful, relaxing attitude here, like the past few years here when this place was fun, this year i had the worst expereince on TRF So far..

i miss the old members, i wish they were back:D

ozzman
12-10-10, 01:12
more smileys :D

robm_2007
12-10-10, 01:18
more smileys :D

these Penguin Smileys

http://www.smileysnetwork.com/en/penguins-smileys.php

MattTR
12-10-10, 01:19
these Penguin Smileys

http://www.smileysnetwork.com/en/penguins-smileys.php

OMG! You really opened up a new world for me.. http://www.smileysnetwork.com/manchots/tancze.gif

robm_2007
12-10-10, 01:21
OMG! You really opened up a new world for me.. http://www.smileysnetwork.com/manchots/tancze.gif

there's about 138, so yeah, one for every occasion. ignore the MaryJ adn teh humping penguins, they are naughty birds http://www.smileysnetwork.com/manchots/sciana.gif

Evan C.
12-10-10, 03:14
I wonder what happened with the contest of the new thingy of the forum O.o

MattTR
12-10-10, 19:51
there's about 138, so yeah, one for every occasion. ignore the MaryJ adn teh humping penguins, they are naughty birds http://www.smileysnetwork.com/manchots/sciana.gif

I don't see a gay one.. :( Oh well, this guy never gets old: :gay:

I wonder what happened with the contest of the new thingy of the forum O.o

It's still being looked into as far as I know. ;)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
12-10-10, 19:53
I think we need a Dancing Merengue Dog.

MattTR
12-10-10, 20:02
I think we need a Dancing Merengue Dog.

Oh wait, never mind.. I just got it. :vlol:

Heck yes, bring on the dancing dog! :yah:

robm_2007
12-10-10, 20:48
I don't see a gay one.. :( Oh well, this guy never gets old: :gay:

why isnt there a Gay Smiley in the Penguin kind you ask?

In Antarctica we don't have homosexuals like in your country. We don't have that like in your country. ... In Antarctica we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have this.

Ward Dragon
12-10-10, 22:25

Oh hell, Ahmadinejad has taken over Antarctica too now? :eek:

voltz
12-10-10, 22:29
TRF sucks for not having one of these...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg132/KikitheFiend/mr-t.gif

Lara Croft!
12-10-10, 23:17
Moar PoLLzzzzz!!!!!!!!!

trlestew
12-10-10, 23:49
Ok, here are my serious and sincere changes I would like to see on the forum.

Suggestions
-The new forum logo to be used
-To allow us to upload our own avatars when we feel like it if it is in 128x128 and within reasonable file size.
-To allow picture signatures with a max resolution of 350x75, also within reasonable file size.
-To allow us to make our own polls.
-To have more than two themes available.
-To implement a "karma" system
-To have a pre-set gallery of TR images for anyone to use as an avatar.
-For all mods to always give a reason for locking,closing, or deleting threads.
-To allow an attachment system for images.
-An IRC chat system
-Additional codes for use in the response boxes, such as inserting a youtube video at the click of a button.
-For TR9 to be released and end the long streak of spam and drama.

And that's it for now :)

jjbennett
13-10-10, 00:38
Image signatures annoy the balls off me. If they implemented that i doubt i'd come back.

trlestew
13-10-10, 00:38
Then disable them in your settings. Just like you can disable images, avatars, and text signatures.

JACOBryanBURNS
13-10-10, 00:39
Ok, here are my serious and sincere changes I would like to see on the forum.

Suggestions
-The new forum logo to be used
-To allow us to upload our own avatars when we feel like it if it is in 128x128 and within reasonable file size.
-To allow picture signatures with a max resolution of 350x75, also within reasonable file size.
-To allow us to make our own polls.
-To have more than two themes available.
-To implement a "karma" system
-To have a pre-set gallery of TR images for anyone to use as an avatar.
-For all mods to always give a reason for locking,closing, or deleting threads.
-To allow an attachment system for images.
-An IRC chat system
-Additional codes for use in the response boxes, such as inserting a youtube video at the click of a button.
-For TR9 to be released and end the long streak of spam and drama.

And that's it for now :)

The SECOND that happens, I'm g-o-n-e, GONE.

Phlip
13-10-10, 00:40
Then disable them in your settings. Just like you can disable images, avatars, and text signatures.

Exactly. :tmb:

jjbennett
13-10-10, 00:41
Ah, well now armed with this knowledge you may do as you please you signature liking people.

Paddy
13-10-10, 00:56
Image signatures annoy the balls off me. If they implemented that i doubt i'd come back.
I dont think this forum needs them tbh.

JACOBryanBURNS
13-10-10, 00:56
It doesn't. It's a bandwith sucking non-essential.

Johnnay
13-10-10, 01:00
I dont think this forum needs them tbh.

This forum doesnt allow image signatures anyway i think

jjbennett
13-10-10, 01:01
Isn't that why people want that as a change in the forum Johnnay...as the title of the thread says?

Encore
13-10-10, 01:03
Image signatures are highly unpopular over here, I doubt they'll ever be introduced, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Johnnay
13-10-10, 01:04
Isn't that why people want that as a change in the forum Johnnay...as the title of the thread says?

as Encore said i highly doubt they'll come back, i would feel sick looking at it TBH

im not sure how many poeple want it TBH

jjbennett
13-10-10, 01:05
But...nevermind mate.

Paddy
13-10-10, 01:07
I like using image signatures on other forums but am glad this forum doesnt use them.

Johnnay
13-10-10, 01:15
I like using image signatures on other forums but am glad this forum doesnt use them.

thank god we dont have GIF Signatures here:)

Librarian
13-10-10, 01:16
^ I don't like image signatures. They cause clutter and mess, and make loading times longer for those with slow internet. And frankly, a lot of them are hideous :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-10-10, 01:21
I would like to see an update on the skin. Something that reflects Tomb Raider a little more. A warmer color palette would be nice.

Throw in a "General Lara Croft" section, where you can talk about all Tomb Raider/ Lara topics not necessarily pertaining to one game, and viola! Perfection. :D

Paddy
13-10-10, 01:24
I would like to see an update on the skin. Something that reflects Tomb Raider a little more. A warmer color palette would be nice.

Throw in a "General Lara Croft" section, where you can talk about all Tomb Raider/ Lara topics not necessarily pertaining to one game, and viola! Perfection. :D

I agree on the new theme, Id love to see new forum skins, especially ones related to TR.

JACOBryanBURNS
13-10-10, 01:30

I'd love a place dedicated to things like her hair, bootstraps, lipgloss shade, and all the things I'm about sick and tired of seeing in EVERY "new tr" thread.

And I'd like to relegate our new TR threads to discussing gameplay, graphics, puzzles. . . things that aren't just cosmetic nitpicks. And I'd CERTAINLY like to see superfluous threads get deleted in a timely manner. The continual clogging up of the forum with them is at an all time high.

MattTR
13-10-10, 01:41

Haha, that explains it! :vlol:

I agree on the new theme, Id love to see new forum skins, especially ones related to TR.

We've had themes in the past, but they've seemed to disappear. :pi:

Paddy
13-10-10, 01:42
Haha, that explains it! :vlol:

We've had themes in the past, but they've seemed to disappear. :pi:

I wouldnt know I joined 2 years after you did :vlol:

RockSteady101
13-10-10, 01:42
Proper written explanations of bannings, not just the usual, and near always vague "Violation of T&C" message when you try to sign in but a proper "you did and said this in that thread to them which is so and so" - would be much better as the things people (including myself) have sometimes been banned for usually remains a mystery to because of the lack of explanation, even when it's appealed or whatever, this would save everyone a hell of a lot of time.

MattTR
13-10-10, 01:51
I wouldnt know I joined 2 years after you did :vlol:

Well I remember once Justin had a couple threads and had been messing around with a few themes, I shall fetch the threads:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=48912

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=48941

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=48949

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=49597

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=49598

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=49653

There's more, but you get the idea. :ton:

Paddy
13-10-10, 01:53
I do and I like :p more themes ftw.

trlestew
13-10-10, 01:54
Just wondering, did anyone read past image signatures in my suggestion?

robm_2007
13-10-10, 01:55
Proper written explanations of bannings, not just the usual, and near always vague "Violation of T&C" message when you try to sign in but a proper "you did and said this in that thread to them which is so and so" - would be much better as the things people (including myself) have sometimes been banned for usually remains a mystery to because of the lack of explanation, even when it's appealed or whatever, this would save everyone a hell of a lot of time.

i thought they only didnt publicly disclose the details of bannings and suspensions; but i didnt think they had to keep the violators in the dark.

i dont like this.

Paddy
13-10-10, 02:01
Just wondering, did anyone read past image signatures in my suggestion?

Yeah but I still dont think this forum needs image sigs.

MattTR
13-10-10, 02:21
Yeah but I still dont think this forum needs image sigs.

I read it and I agree, that's the least of our problems right now.. I'd much rather have the ability to change our own avatars and/or profile pictures. :tmb:

trlestew
13-10-10, 02:27
Lmao, I put that there...

MattTR
13-10-10, 02:28
Lmao, I put that there...

I know, it seems like that's what the vast majority of us want, hopefully our requests will be considered. :pi: :p

SkyPuppy
13-10-10, 02:29
i think this forum actually needs some pancake mix before people go suggesting to make pancakes for people they don't have enough pancake mix for.

Paddy
13-10-10, 02:30
I disagree with the karma system too, that could cause more drama then the forum needs as it is :p

snork
13-10-10, 12:51
I like Karma system for the ability to write a little comment along with the Karma.
Who knows, it c/would maybe spare posts. You know, all these "Aww, you too :hug:" .

And it can easily be set up so that you can only use the thingy say twice a day, and that users can disable Karma for themselves.

Oh, the best thing is, when you have negative Karma yourself, you can't give negative Karma (turns to "neutral") , so you can still use the comment function without sending Karma points at all. :D

StefanJ94
13-10-10, 12:59
I would like signatured to be longer than 80 characters, maybe around 120 or 150 :D

Paddy
13-10-10, 13:09
I like Karma system for the ability to write a little comment along with the Karma.
Who knows, it c/would maybe spare posts. You know, all these "Aww, you too :hug:" .

And it can easily be set up so that you can only use the thingy say twice a day, and that users can disable Karma for themselves.

Oh, the best thing is, when you have negative Karma yourself, you can't give negative Karma (turns to "neutral") , so you can still use the comment function without sending Karma points at all. :D

Problem is people could start abusing that function.

patriots88888
13-10-10, 13:10
No karma fo you! :p

Phlip
13-10-10, 13:28
It doesn't. It's a bandwith sucking non-essential.

People would seriously start abusing it and it would just turn into a popularity contest. :vlol:

Paddy
13-10-10, 13:29
People would seriously start abusing it and it would just turn into a popularity contest. :vlol:

Pretty much what I was trying to get at :p
As if this forum needs more popularity contests.

snork
13-10-10, 13:40
I think that is why it is restricted to twice a day (for positive karma) on this other place I am a member of.

It was a few times abused for harassing or insulting other members.
When reported to admins -> warning or banning and that was it.

But it is not as if I need this function, just wanted to share that there is also good experience with it.

No karma fo you! :p

:(

:p

Avalon SARL
13-10-10, 16:38
Lol
Just had an idea
Dont know if it is very necessary, but maybe a reference to the time line and date to the posts/ replies posted, so that one knows when was each post posted :p

Ward Dragon
13-10-10, 16:44
Lol
Just had an idea
Dont know if it is very necessary, but maybe a reference to the time line and date to the posts/ replies posted, so that one knows when was each post posted :p

I might be misunderstanding what you mean, but the posts already do display the time and date that they were posted. It says it on the top left corner of the post, right above the person's user name :)

Avalon SARL
13-10-10, 17:01
^^^^^^^^^

OMG :yik:

I have never ever, i mean, ever ever ever ever noticed that :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :D:D:D:D

ShadyCroft
13-10-10, 17:19
^leik, shu shareb Mohammad ? :vlol:

Ward Dragon
13-10-10, 17:31
^^^^^^^^^

OMG :yik:

I have never ever, i mean, ever ever ever ever noticed that :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :D:D:D:D

Yeah, it seems like every forum puts the date and time in a different place :p I often have trouble figuring out when something was posted when I'm searching for things on the internet and a different forum comes up in the search results.

Avalon SARL
13-10-10, 17:51
:p :vlol:

I dontvisit alot of other forums bcz it sometimes takes aweekfor someone to reply :vlol:

@ shady... kifc ya sa7bi l 3aziz...
misss uu...
yala, msn if u r online tn8 :D

well, guess i'll have to be thinking now of something new and useful :p

Chocola teapot
13-10-10, 17:57
As if we need any more restrictions. :p

This forum should loosen up.

MattTR
13-10-10, 21:21
As if we need any more restrictions. :p

This forum should loosen up.

On what? Give examples! :p

That's what this thread is for. :smk:

trlestew
13-10-10, 21:34
Problem is people could start abusing that function.

It's a simple system. Like someone's post? Add a +karma and it'll just add a number to their karma level. Real simple. If it causes drama on this forum, then that is just pathetic to be honest :|
Works on almost every other forum.

Chocola teapot
13-10-10, 21:40
On what? Give examples! :p

That's what this thread is for. :smk:

I got in trouble for using a 'Circumvention' that I (and many others) have used frequently
for over a year without any form of warning... SUDDENLY I was reprimanded for it.

They really must lighten up.

Not all of them, Just a few.

Catapharact
13-10-10, 22:06
It's a simple system. Like someone's post? Add a +karma and it'll just add a number to their karma level. Real simple. If it causes drama on this forum, then that is just pathetic to be honest :|

It works because people on other forums keep a heathly degree of distance and don't involve themselves so personally with the forum. There are just way too many people on this forum who bear grudges for some odd reason. We had a similar feature on the old forum software. You gave a person a ranking out of 5 stars and the software basically tallied out the results and gave a member a ranking out of 5 stars based on the medium of the tallied votes.

So many members abused that system... To the point where the forum voted to have it removed.

Mona Sax
13-10-10, 22:08
It's just a popularity contest, really. I think well-conceived and helpful contributions speak for themselves, anyway.

ShadyCroft
13-10-10, 22:10
yeah, such a system would work in reddit, not here. :)

trlestew
13-10-10, 22:11
yeah, such a system would work on just about all forums on the internet, not here. :)

had to fix that for you...

I'll just drop it though. No one likes it, and super mod has spoken.

Mona Sax
13-10-10, 22:13
Super mod just gave her two cents. ;) That's just my opinion as a member, it's not an official stance, and does not mean the idea is out of the question.

robm_2007
13-10-10, 22:22
an annual series of polls which questions us on our choice of the Best Film, TV Show, VG, Song, and Book of the year.

:p

Encore
13-10-10, 22:38
I think well-conceived and helpful contributions speak for themselves, anyway.

If only.

RockSteady101
13-10-10, 23:52
i thought they only didnt publicly disclose the details of bannings and suspensions; but i didnt think they had to keep the violators in the dark.

i dont like this.

Well I mean telling the person who is banned exactly why, usually (near always) it just says "You have been banned for the following reason: Spam/Breach of T&C" and I'd much rather see a full explanation like "You posted abuse to member BLABLA52 in the BLABLA thread" - most of the time when you're banned and chase up why through email or whatever the reply you get is rather vague.

Paddy
14-10-10, 00:16

I agree its pathetic but it would happen if TRF had that function imo.

robm_2007
14-10-10, 00:22
Well I mean telling the person who is banned exactly why, usually (near always) it just says "You have been banned for the following reason: Spam/Breach of T&C" and I'd much rather see a full explanation like "You posted abuse to member BLABLA52 in the BLABLA thread" - most of the time when you're banned and chase up why through email or whatever the reply you get is rather vague.

i see. yes, i think they should give you a proper response.

its like the police arresting you for murder, but they wont say who they are accusing you of murdering.

Draco
14-10-10, 00:25
That was my point about mods just deleting stuff too, how can you expect a problem to go away when you don't actually do something specific to correct it?

SkyPuppy
14-10-10, 00:30
That was my point about mods just deleting stuff too, how can you expect a problem to go away when you don't actually do something specific to correct it?

did you get banned again? :(

Mad Tony
14-10-10, 00:32
The last time I was banned (must've been a good two years ago now) I was given a reason for it, it's just that reason was completely invalid.

Draco
14-10-10, 00:32
did you get banned again? :(

Not this week, but my bookie has 5 to 2 odds on it.

SkyPuppy
14-10-10, 00:33
Not this week, but my bookie has 5 to 2 odds on it.

oh, i thought you did. i should probably actually check first.

Draco
14-10-10, 00:43
The last time I was banned (must've been a good two years ago now) I was given a reason for it, it's just that reason was completely invalid.

I get that a lot.

oh, i thought you did. i should probably actually check first.

I was told I would be if I posted... well anything really. I am a troll, a spammer, and the leader of a forum rebellion... or so I've been told. Good luck getting anyone to actually validate those claims though. Its been nothing but libel sofar.

I suppose it is my fault though, I spake honestly and adroitly.

SkyPuppy
14-10-10, 00:51
lately i have been having problems loading this site... or i have problems posting, like now for example; it takes forever just to make one post. every other website i go to has been fine, it's just this one. i mean, the problem doesn't have all the time, it's just every once in awhile, like now and it's getting annoying to deal with, to be honest.

I was told I would be if I posted... well anything really. I am a troll, a spammer, and the leader of a forum rebellion... or so I've been told. Good luck getting anyone to actually validate those claims though. Its been nothing but libel sofar.

I suppose it is my fault though, I spake honestly and adroitly.

are you serious? that sucks. :/ i don't think you're a troll... i really hope you don't get banned again because honestly, that would suck.

KIKO
14-10-10, 01:11
I just wish moderators would be a bit more tolerant with heated discussions, for example: console wars, Crystal vs Core... you know the usual kind of thread where somebody drops the bomb and then it gets rather nasty. I know the last thing people want is hate but immaturity or whatever you wanna call it is part of the human growth process and it's not with *post deleted**thread locked* that will put an end to it. I believe that people realize their mistakes and try to correct them but if the thread is locked, you just gotta move on.

Paddy
14-10-10, 01:14
Console wars are ridiculous though, arguing over which console is better?? lol.
And the crystal v core stuff I can understand if they aint so tolerant of either. Fanboy arguments are just childish.

KIKO
14-10-10, 01:21
So what if it's childish? Isn't a forum meant to follow the "free speech"? Or does 'free' only apply to what's better suited and none ridiculous?

EDIT
Now I see I've droped a bomb that may cause a lot of argument. It is also a grave acusation and I've used "free speech" to justify my words. It's so cliché that it becomes childish to use such justification. What are they gonna do about it? Delete the post? Close the thread because I went too far? Ban me? xD Whatever it is, stopping me from posting isn't gonna make me learn the mistake of such accusation. I need to see it through, apologize if I'm wrong, learn from it and say something about it. That's the way it is.

Paddy
14-10-10, 01:24
Personal insults that often fly in console wars are taking freedom of speech over the top.
People shouldnt just have free reign to abuse each other with personal insults.

Encore
14-10-10, 01:24
Console wars are ridiculous though, arguing over which console is better?? lol.
And the crystal v core stuff I can understand if they aint so tolerant of either. Fanboy arguments are just childish.

That is not an argument to close those threads though. Just let people deal with what they've started. THAT would be the mature response. Unless the argument has gone dramatically off topic to the point where people are doing nothing but insulting each other, it shouldn't be closed.

Paddy
14-10-10, 01:26
That is not an argument to close those threads though. Just let people deal with what they've started. THAT would be the mature response. Unless the argument has gone dramatically off topic to the point where people are doing nothing but insulting each other, it shouldn't be closed.

Yeah I just realised the closed thread part was the original point.
My bad.
The bolded part was what I thought the original point was :o

KIKO
14-10-10, 01:31
Personal insults that often fly in console wars dont really qualify as free speech, shouldnt anyway.

Then what is classified as 'free' of saying?

Paddy
14-10-10, 01:38
I read it and I agree, that's the least of our problems right now.. I'd much rather have the ability to change our own avatars and/or profile pictures. :tmb:
Yeah that would be pretty cool.

Draco
14-10-10, 01:41
Regardless, maturity should not be the doctrine of the staff by which they base anything they do on. If two people are going at each other in a thread and nobody is reporting it, why stop them? Or better question: Why stop some, but not all?

On that note: Why enforce rules for some members, but not the rest. Why hold some members to a different imaginary standard than you do others? Why call someone immature because you don't like what they are saying, which is the immature response incidentally. Does everyone get threatened in PMs for participating in a nonconformist or non ass kissing manner?

Regardless, thank you for the pancakes Marta.

KIKO
14-10-10, 01:45
Yeah that would be pretty cool.

I was going to say, there's no such thing as 90%, 80%... freedom of speech. There's only, there is, or there isn't. But then you edited it :ton:

oocladableeblah
14-10-10, 01:46
I think a darker theme, possible one that is more TR themes would be better. It would be a lot easier on the eyes, white and warm colors are hard on the eyes.

More mods at different time zones would be nice.

Other than that I am pretty much fine with the way the forums are.

Paddy
14-10-10, 01:47
I was going to say, there's no such thing as 90%, 80%... freedom of speech. There's only, there is, or there isn't. But then you edited it :ton:

Lol I edited it to what I actually meant xD

MattTR
15-10-10, 02:34
Glad to see some of our ideas being considered and some even being put forth, good job everyone! :yah:

Lizard of Oz
15-10-10, 03:32
Take a look at some of the spam going on now.

MODS are nowhere to be seen. Hopefully that issue is going to be taken care of soon :)

AmericanAssassin
15-10-10, 03:34
I would like a thread about orangutans in each section of the forums. :)

TRLegendLuver
15-10-10, 10:30
Nothing will change. It's TRF. :p But I'd like to have no political/religious discussion threads. People get waaayy to worked up on them.

Draco
15-10-10, 13:07
Nothing will change. It's TRF. :p But I'd like to have no political/religious discussion threads. People get waaayy to worked up on them.

Then stay the hell out of them.

Mokono
15-10-10, 14:12

The best change i can think of is seeing your ban lifted. Such a shame that a great contributor and a nice person to discuss with isn't going to be around until who knows when.

Catracoth
15-10-10, 14:19

Comments like this need to be addressed - there's simply no need for blatant hostility such as this. Is it so hard to simply say, "Then don't go in them" or "You don't have to go in them." ? Jesus, people are way too worked up all the time these days.

Paddy
15-10-10, 14:30
edit

Catapharact
15-10-10, 14:35

What he said. Some of us don't like entertainment related claptrap so we avoid the entertainment section like the plauge :whi:. Do the same with political/religious discussions.

Mokono
people are way too worked up all the time these days.

You can't expect everyone to act acordingly all the time, specially if you don't know the reason behind such behaviour. Am i saying that it's an excusable way to respond? Not very likely, but i do think that lately there's a tendency in this forum to point at others mistakes instead of our own, which is the main reason why i willfully stopped posting in the General Chat area, with some rare exceptions such as this one.

If you look closely at the post he replied to, you'll notice some sort of "i don't like it, i don't want it" attitude that it's obtrusive; i mean, it prevents the possibility to allow such discussion for those who are interested in the exchange of arguments. I'd be astonished if no one had noticed that Draco frequents such threads, so his reaction doesn't really surprise me, because it makes more sense to say "i'll avoid what i dislike" than just saying "make this place according to my taste".

xb4b1x

agreed

lord gaga
15-10-10, 14:36
The best change i can think of is seeing your ban lifted. Such a shame that a great contributor and a nice person to discuss with isn't going to be around until who knows when.

I don't think they would have been banned in the first place if they hadn't done something wrong, Also about bans,when i wented to look on the offical edios forums a normal welcome thread turned into how stupid these forums are and how horribal the bans are so i would like if we gave them a more positve attitude.

Mokono
15-10-10, 14:38
I don't think they would have been banned in the first place if they hadn't done something wrong

You clearly haven't been here long enough.

Catracoth
15-10-10, 14:48
Wasnt that hostile tbh theres been worse from other people.

Well basically, my point is that comments like that just aren't necessary - I've been trying to refrain from being so blunt, especially over the Internet where it's harder to interpret properly. True, there has been much worse, but that doesn't lessen the fact that some things just aren't called for.

It's pretty safe to say that if people can be so harsh without even being provoked, then they've got a pretty natural acid tongue.

You clearly haven't been here long enough.

Clearly - he only joined this past May. :p

tampi
15-10-10, 14:51
:pi: I also think that comment is too crude and unnecessary.

Same that a post in this page (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159190&page=674)... and others
Maybe I've made some too, I hope not so bad :o

Paddy
15-10-10, 14:53
edit

xb4b1x
15-10-10, 14:56
Well basically, my point is that comments like that just aren't necessary - I've been trying to refrain from being so blunt, especially over the Internet where it's harder to interpret properly. True, there has been much worse, but that doesn't lessen the fact that some things just aren't called for.

It's pretty safe to say that if people can be so harsh without even being provoked, then they've got a pretty natural acid tongue.

Clearly - he only joined this past May. :p

he speaks his mind