PDA

View Full Version : Its a bird! No its a plane! ... Actually it IS a plane!

Catapharact
09-10-10, 20:19
Small aircraft lands safely on Highway 407.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101008/aircraft-lands-highway-407-101008/20101008/

A small private plane has made an emergency landing on Highway 407, prompting authorities to close a section of road near Highway 404 and Woodbine Avenue.

The area where the 1974 Piper pa28 plane landed is just under two kilometres south of Markham's Buttonville airport.

The Ontario Provincial Police said no injuries or collisions were reported in the incident, which occurred late Friday evening.

The wife of the pilot told CTV Toronto that her husband had gone out for a pleasure flight by himself. She said he told her he was fine.

The cause of the emergency landing isn't yet known.

Right on highyway 407... Good thing it didn't happen during the weekend evening rushour period.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-10-10, 20:22
would've made more of an impact if you had said "it's a bird, eh...no, it's a plane, eh....oh golly it Is a plane, eh."

they ARE canadian

Lizard of Oz
09-10-10, 20:24
Woah!

I am glad to hear no one was injured. I wonder if anyone was driving around there at that time?

I don't know what's going to happen with the pilot. He has given no reason of why he landed. FINE HIM! :p

Catapharact
09-10-10, 20:24
would've made more of an impact if you had said "it's a bird, eh...no, it's a plane, eh....oh golly it Is a plane, eh."

they ARE canadian

Actually I think every Canadian should adopt the "eh" in their dialect with a sense of pride. You EARN the right to say "eh" in Canada!

sandygrimm
09-10-10, 20:25
They must of wanted to see how it is to have one of these
http://bevan.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/transition-car-plane.jpg

larafan25
09-10-10, 20:30
I don't say eh much.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 20:40
I don't say eh much.

Boooooo! You need to be re-Canadian-ized.

TL01SReeOqE

On the topic at hand, the funny thing is the airplane landed 2 kms away from buttonville airport which is not too far away from the cookstown dropzone (where I got my jumper certification.) Scary stuff.

God Horus
09-10-10, 20:42
Woah! :eek: This happened very, VERY close to my house too! :yik:

larafan25
09-10-10, 20:47
Boooooo! You need to be re-Canadian-ized.

TL01SReeOqE

On the topic at hand, the funny thing is the airplane landed 2 kms away from buttonville airport which is not too far away from the cookstown dropzone (where I got my jumper certification.) Scary stuff.

I'll skip out on being a flamboyant Canadian stereotype. :tmb:

Catapharact
09-10-10, 20:51
I'll skip out on being a flamboyant Canadian stereotype. :tmb:

Canada? Flamboyant stereotype? Since when? We export all our flamboyant trash off to the U.S. (Justin Bieber, Pamela Anderson, etc.) Canada is actually the responsible son that the mother in-law adores, with a badboy undercoating that the wife loves ;).

larafan25
09-10-10, 20:53
Canada? Flamboyant? Since when? We export all our flamboyant trash off to the U.S. (Justin Bieber, Pamela Anderson, etc.) Canada is actually the responsible son that the mother in-law adores, with a badboy undercoating that the wife loves ;).

You can take a generalization of any country and wrap it up into a flamboyant stereotype.

I'm proud to be the Canadian that doesn't say eh, I guess.:)

Catapharact
09-10-10, 20:57
You can take a generalization of any country and wrap it up into a flamboyant stereotype.

I'm proud to be the Canadian that doesn't say eh, I guess.:)

You really adhere to an open defination of the word "flamboyant" don't you... But ah well have it your way I guess :).

larafan25
09-10-10, 21:00
You really adhere to an open defination of the word "flamboyant" don't you... But ah well have it your way I guess :).

It's important to keep definitions general, not vague, but open to wrap around things.

Flamboyant is a word one would use to describe something, it's a quality of something, not necessarily a whole thing in itself.

OMG plane on the 407 where did that come from!?D:

IceColdLaraCroft
09-10-10, 21:16
Canada? Flamboyant stereotype? Since when? We export all our flamboyant trash off to the U.S. (Justin Bieber, Pamela Anderson, etc.) Canada is actually the responsible son that the mother in-law adores, with a badboy undercoating that the wife loves ;).

Canada has all the best interior designers. Sarah Richardson, Cheryll Gillespie, Candice Olsen. And one cannot say "it's all the indoor time" because Canadians are quite active outdoors (especially compared to Americans)

if it weren't so gosh darn cold I'd move there.

btw i don't want know the towing fees for that plane :eek:

larafan25
09-10-10, 21:23
Canada has all the best interior designers. Sarah Richardson, Cheryll Gillespie, Candice Olsen. And one cannot say "it's all the indoor time" because Canadians are quite active outdoors (especially compared to Americans)

if it weren't so gosh darn cold I'd move there.

It's not that cold, at least not where I am.:)

IceColdLaraCroft
09-10-10, 21:25
I live in virginia Beach I doubt it's as warm there as it is here.

larafan25
09-10-10, 21:29
I live in virginia Beach I doubt it's as warm there as it is here.

Right now it is in the twenties and october.

It gets up to around 35-40 in the summer, it's only cold cold in he winter.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-10-10, 21:41
Where are you in Canadia? We enjoy your geese :)

larafan25
09-10-10, 21:52
Where are you in Canada? We enjoy your geese :)

Ontario, my Geese are still here though.

God Horus
09-10-10, 21:57
^ Where in Ontario? :)

This thread is so offtopic and has nothing to do with the initial matter of a plane landing on the 407 :rolleyes:

larafan25
09-10-10, 21:59
^ Where in Ontario? :)

This thread is so offtopic and has nothing to do with the initial matter of a plane landing on the 407 :rolleyes:

The plane landed on the 407 in Ontario I believe.:pi:

Which is not too off-topic.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 22:07

Agreed. Anyway have you guys noticed that two wierd highway related incidents have happened this week in Toronto? First it was the tractor trailer rollover accident involving the pigs (81 of them died) at highway 427 and now a plane lands at highway 407...

]{eith
09-10-10, 22:10
Glad there were no injuries. Poor littel piggies though. :(

larafan25
09-10-10, 22:17
{eith;4935604']Glad there were no injuries. Poor littel piggies though. :(

Would you like to buy Bacon? We've got lots.:)

God Horus
09-10-10, 22:26
The pig thing was really scary because I know someone who was driving on that highway and she said that the pigs were actually really scary running around and many of them were killed!

Ontario highways are WEIRD! Don't ever drive on them.

:p

Uzi master
09-10-10, 23:04
Actually I think every Canadian should adopt the "eh" in their dialect with a sense of pride. You EARN the right to say "eh" in Canada!

um, no I hate that stereo type.

]{eith
09-10-10, 23:05
Would you like to buy Bacon? We've got lots.:)

;______;

Catapharact
09-10-10, 23:12
The pig thing was really scary because I know someone who was driving on that highway and she said that the pigs were actually really scary running around and many of them were killed!

I can imagine. I think the accident happened during the morning rushour as well. Scared Pigs and a busy freeway don't make a good combination.

Ontario highways are WEIRD! Don't ever drive on them.

Statistically speaking though, the number of serious accidents in Ontario overall have dropped significantly mostly because of the influx of Police officers placed on traffic regulation duties along with the R.I.D.E program to cut down on drinking and driving related incidents.

I think that city hall is about to pass a law which will make it manditory for 21 years and under to have a blood alcohol level of 0 to drive. Otherwise, its an automatic suspension.

Draco
09-10-10, 23:15
I think everyone should be required to have a blood alcohol level of absolute zero to drive.

larafan25
09-10-10, 23:16
I think everyone should be required to have a blood alcohol level of absolute zero to drive.

I agree.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 23:16

I personally agree but I don't think the bill will pass unforunately.

Smog
09-10-10, 23:17
Jack Bauer already did this in a frickin' Boeing 727. Which really makes me want to go and watch 24 again...

Draco
09-10-10, 23:17
I personally agree but I don't think the bill will pass unforunately.

Just say anyone who doesn't support it is in favor of drunk drivers.

Encore
09-10-10, 23:19
The cause of the emergency landing isn't yet known.

I guess he just did it for teh lulz. :cool:

]{eith
09-10-10, 23:21

:vlol:

lararoxs
09-10-10, 23:28

Some Airports and Airfields CHARGE for an Emergency Landing.. Probably why he landed there! :p

Now THAT made me laugh. I'm just thankful no-one caught me laughing at my computer... :o

An emergency landing's a pilot's worst nightmare, or in theory it should be! Glad he wasn't injured - It'll be interesting to see how this story develops though.

Catapharact
09-10-10, 23:35
An emergency landing's a pilot's worst nightmare, or in theory it should be!

Well he was flying a Piper... A monoplane with the appropriate wing span is the best plane to be in during an emergency landing situation. An experienced pilot can easily land one even when the engine goes out. Just have to keep the wind direction and speed in mind and hope that the plane doesn't falls apart for some reason :p.

lararoxs
09-10-10, 23:38
Well he was flying a Piper... A monoplane with the appropriate wing span is the best plane to be in during an emergency landing situation. An experienced pilot can easily land one even when the engine goes out. Just have to keep the wind direction and speed in mind and hope that the plane doesn't falls apart for some reason :p.

Should try flying the sister, PA38 while doing SSAT training - Let's just say she has the nickname of the Traumahawk! :D Haven't tried the PA28.. Might have to borrow it from the hangar for a try. :p

Catapharact
09-10-10, 23:56
Should try flying the sister, PA38 while doing SSAT training - Let's just say she has the nickname of the Traumahawk! :D Haven't tried the PA28.. Might have to borrow it from the hangar for a try. :p

SSAT combat training? Traning to be a full fledged fighter pilot I take it :D? Good for you! So you are a RAF cadet then? Or have graduated on to being a full time trainee? There is an interesting difference I have seen between NATO SSAT training and Middle Eastern ones... In the Middle East they do SSAT with Jets rather then prop planes (Interestingly enough BAE Hawks are usually the trainer plane of choice Lol!)

Squibbly
10-10-10, 00:03
Glad everyone is okay.

Uzi master
10-10-10, 03:12
I agree.

the problem comes when say, someone blows .01

someone might have some sort of condition, or ingested something that contains trace amounts of alcohol but not something they will get drunk on, but I dont really know anything about those things anyway.:p

or if an of those things really exist.:p

Laras Dream
10-10-10, 09:03
Woah! :eek: This happened very, VERY close to my house too! :yik:
OMG! You must have passed out! :eek:

Catapharact
10-10-10, 16:59
Just say anyone who doesn't support it is in favor of drunk drivers.

Definate checkmate. Considering the number of drunk driving cases that have made the headline, this will definately work.

Draco
10-10-10, 17:03
Yeah, I'd make a good politician... except for the lying part =./

lararoxs
10-10-10, 18:30
SSAT combat training? Traning to be a full fledged fighter pilot I take it :D? Good for you! So you are a RAF cadet then? Or have graduated on to being a full time trainee? There is an interesting difference I have seen between NATO SSAT training and Middle Eastern ones... In the Middle East they do SSAT with Jets rather then prop planes (Interestingly enough BAE Hawks are usually the trainer plane of choice Lol!)

Unfortunately not SSAT combat, it's no where near as glamorous as that! I can't do Military flying due to my eyesight. :( I'm doing all the flying I can funded myself through the civilian route. Working on a PPL, SEP rating with Night rating and IMC. Then move on the MEP and CPL with the full works and then ATPL and type rating for the bigger jets.
I wish it was that exciting! I'm going to have to read into it a bit more now that you've mentioned it - You sure know your stuff Cat! :tmb: