PDA

View Full Version : Seven famous cities to go "Buh-Bye!"

voltz
11-10-10, 03:03
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35998698

:(

ajrich17901
11-10-10, 03:04
Oh well that really blows, guess now would be the perfect time to see NYC in action lol.

patriots88888
11-10-10, 03:07
They forgot to mention S.F., L.A. and S.D. I've been hearing about how most of Cal is going to fall off into the Pacific for years now.

scoopy_loopy
11-10-10, 03:11
Every major Australian city is on the coast line, they're all ****ed. :p

amiro1989
11-10-10, 03:12
And so is Montreal in Quebec, Canada....

Scary ****.

Tombraiderx08
11-10-10, 03:15
New Orleans, wasn't expecting that one. Well, that sucks :(

trlestew
11-10-10, 03:17
Washington DC isn't too far from the coast as well D:

Paddy
11-10-10, 03:23
Every major Australian city is on the coast line, they're all ****ed. :p

So glad Canberra isnt :p

ozzman
11-10-10, 03:33
would be nice it Pittsburgh was on there, i hate that city, but still, it sucks to hear such, some Japanese Cities will sink too [Tokyo, Okinawa, Sapporo]

LightningRider
11-10-10, 03:39
Oh crap.

This would be the perfect time to visit some of these. ;_;

Lizard of Oz
11-10-10, 03:55
I live in the US and never gotten a chance to visit new york. I also intend to visit Venice as soon as I have the time on money for it :)

GameGlitcher77
11-10-10, 04:55
They forgot to mention S.F., L.A. and S.D. I've been hearing about how most of Cal is going to fall off into the Pacific for years now.

That would take an extremely powerful earthquake of at least a 10.0 magnitude... :p

digitizedboy
11-10-10, 09:44
Birmingham has many canals too, just like Venice. I wonder if the same applies? Mind you, they said "famous" cities, implying "great". No comparison really. :p

Anyway, it's tragic! All those beautiful places will someday be taken away from us. Nothing lasts forever, inevitability sucks. :(

Ikas90
11-10-10, 11:16
This is sad.

Well, I definitely want to see some of these places before they sink under water. The effects of global warming are getting to us. I wonder if anything will be done about it.

This is how New York would look:
http://www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/rise-of-sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.jpg

And the world:
http://www.uwec.edu/jolhm/EH4/Extinction/Map%20of%20the%20World%20Sea%20Level.jpg

scoopy_loopy
11-10-10, 11:37
^
That looks kinda cool! Maybe they'll just give up on those lower floors and create a new Venice :p

digitizedboy
11-10-10, 11:44
This is how New York would look:
http://www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/rise-of-sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.jpg

Reminds me of Artificial Intelligence.

LNSNHGTDS
11-10-10, 12:20
I understand Thailand and Venice but why NY?:confused: I'd really like to visit Shangai thought and where's Holland?This would be the first one to sink.

Ward Dragon
11-10-10, 12:23
Science Daily reports that the sea levels in the New York City area are expected to rise about twice as quickly as sea levels around the world, meaning that Gotham will take the plunge well before the rest of the United States.

How the hell does that work? Is the water not all connected and therefore would rise at equal rates? :confused:

Anyhow, I'm not scared. I think these reports are built on shaky facts and their main purpose is to get attention by exaggerating extreme scenarios that are very unlikely to actually happen.

I live in the US and never gotten a chance to visit new york. I also intend to visit Venice as soon as I have the time on money for it :)

Boston is a lot nicer :)

MiCkiZ88
11-10-10, 12:27
Anyhow, I'm not scared. I think these reports are built on shaky facts and their main purpose is to get attention by exaggerating extreme scenarios that are very unlikely to actually happen.

My thoughts exactly. Though at the same time it reminds me of the sad fact that I am living just barely above the sea level. :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-10-10, 12:31
How the hell does that work? Is the water not all connected and therefore would rise at equal rates? :confused:

Boston is a lot nicer :)

Notice they didn't give a time frame! Jersey Village is sinking 2" per year? Even at only 43' above sea level, that still gives us 258 years :p

Ikas90
11-10-10, 12:37

Well humanity isn't going to act until the effects get to us. Who knows if we'll even act then. So even by exaggerating and bringing its time closer than it is, it probably won't make a difference. The government isn't going to pay attention as they LITERALLY do not believe in Global Warming.

jackali
11-10-10, 12:42
When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them.
It sank into the swamp.
So I built a second one.
That sank into the swamp.
So I built a third.
That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.
But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

If a city sinks, build a new one (or three) on top. :p

To be honest though, it sounds like a last-ditch attempt to raise tourism in these cities. And it's probably working as can be seen from some of the posts on TRF.

michaeldt
11-10-10, 12:45
im going to NYC in january, lucky i'll be able to see it :p

I, Tomb Raider
11-10-10, 12:49
Besides Bangkok and Venice, I don't think the other cities are my priority to visit. :pi:

Paddy
11-10-10, 12:50

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Anonimys
11-10-10, 13:10
I must hurry and visit Venice before it sinks.:(

Sir Croft
11-10-10, 15:29
Venice will probably just build taller buildings and streets. It's not like they were never a sinking city. :p

lara c. fan
11-10-10, 15:45
^Exactly! Things would hardly change for the Venetians... :p

michaeldt
11-10-10, 15:48
I think they are just trying to increase tourism.... :pi:

Mad Tony
11-10-10, 16:08
The government isn't going to pay attention as they LITERALLY do not believe in Global Warming.Depends what government you're referring to. Global warming is a very complicated issue and there is still room for debate about whether it actually exists.

To be honest though, it sounds like a last-ditch attempt to raise tourism in these cities. And it's probably working as can be seen from some of the posts on TRF.That's what I thought lol.

robm_2007
11-10-10, 17:31
OH NOEZ! i must vizit each of theze citiez before they die!!!!

yay for touristic advertising! the US wont let NYC sink or be washed away, they will sooner make a Bioshock Infinte type city supported by blimps...:pi:

ive always wanted to go to Venice, though. and the Himalayas, i hear its about to freeze over :pi:

Tony9595
11-10-10, 19:37
But despite best efforts, engineers say that there is no way to keep Mexico City from sinking.

Nice. :vlol: