PDA

View Full Version : is crystal dynamics lara being commercial?

xmamacitax
13-10-10, 22:17
I don't know sometimes it feels like it compared to core, they were focusing on puzzles, really talked about how the game is and not much about the look of her, crystal does an good job with underworld but siriously sometimes idk myself either what do you think?

voltz
13-10-10, 22:21
She was always commercial... :rolleyes:

xmamacitax
13-10-10, 22:23
She was always commercial... :rolleyes:

maybe its just me fantasizing again:D lol

Chocola teapot
13-10-10, 22:23
One could say that she always has been, atleast you've had a go at speaking your mind.

I'd say no, Core were actually far more commercial with their images and products.

xmamacitax
13-10-10, 22:24
One could say that she always has been, atleast you've had a go at speaking your mind.

I'd say no, Core were actually far more commercial with their images and products.

.... woow ok I remember!!!! sorry now I remember;) those dolls backpacks no thats true its just im sleepy thats all

Mad Tony
13-10-10, 22:27
CD made Tomb Raider much more mainstream. Unfortunately they also destroyed Tomb Raider, in a sense.

Chocola teapot
13-10-10, 22:28
.... woow ok I remember!!!! sorry now I remember;) those dolls backpacks no thats true its just im sleepy thats all

Don't be sorry, If you have something to say then say it! :D

<3

voltz
13-10-10, 22:30
CD made Tomb Raider much more mainstream. Unfortunately they also destroyed Tomb Raider, in a sense.

That's how a CORE fan would put it.

Mona Sax
13-10-10, 22:36
The 'destroyed TR' part, yeah (although I agree that keeping the traditional TR formula would've been preferrable). However, the games were definitely streamlined to appeal to a wider audience (focus on Lara, simple gameplay, easy puzzles). Classic TR was much less accessible, but was much more rewarding if you took the time to master the games.

daventry
13-10-10, 22:41
What Gripes me is the fact that from Soul Reaver (Violent and Gore) they came up with ths Sweet and Innocent Trilogy Games for 10 Year Olds so to speak.

I assumed Crystal would make TR Gory and Violent or Mature even, then we had something to discuss about in saying TR is Not about Gore.

GoL is heading into the right Direction with its Traps and Puzzles, but it still feels Hollywood Cliched and dont get me started on the Satanic Demonic Creatures.

What i Loved about the Core Games, was the fact that they put you in the middle of a field and say: Your On Your Own Kid. Bye.

With Crystal, everything is done for you, even in GoL.

Encore
13-10-10, 22:43
I don't think "commercial" is the word I'd use. Lara Croft was always used as a marketing strategy, even by Core. The difference is that Core took advantage of that name and made their games big and challenging for everyone, knowing they would still sell, with Lara on them. Crystal's games, on the other hand, obviously try to be as appealling to everyone as possible, so they're dumbed down and hollywood-ized.

What Gripes me is the fact that from Soul Reaver (Violent and Gore) they came up with with ths Sweet and Innocent Trilogy Games for 10 Year Olds so to speak.

That suggests it wasn't Crystal's choice, really. Probably Eidos guidelines.

Miharu
13-10-10, 22:49
Crystal Dynamics has brought Tomb Raider into the mainstream world however...

CORE was way more commerical as back in the day, you had:

Lara's energy drinks
Lara T-Shirts
Tomb Raider T-Shirts
Lucozade commericals
Car commercials
Skateboards with Lara's face painted on
Motorcycle helmets!
Towels(?) (most likely)

larafan25
13-10-10, 23:04
Core made Lara commercial....O.O

Pietras
13-10-10, 23:18
Is the sky blue?

leglion
13-10-10, 23:48
Is the sky blue?

Probably not because they're not advertising enough.

StarCroft:AOD
14-10-10, 21:15
I don't know sometimes it feels like it compared to core, they were focusing on puzzles, really talked about how the game is and not much about the look of her, crystal does an good job with underworld but siriously sometimes idk myself either what do you think?

Of course, it's a product they need to sell to us, so they can eat and buy cars, and whatnot.:D i know, it's sad; I can finally see this with TR:U:D

Dark Lugia 2
14-10-10, 21:36
I wish Lara was as commercial as she was with the classics :/

nR2CueIrqoc
qllD5NB_V04
WYk3hDAuWlY

:D Larazade!

StarCroft:AOD
14-10-10, 21:41
^ ditto:D