PDA

View Full Version : New job started, and a new one beginning... need advice please.

moodydog
16-10-10, 15:07
Hey i just started my new job today, :) I quite enjoyed it although there is a lot of pressure and barely any space to move (its a tiny kitchen, with about 5 people working at once... doing everything). I don't want to see myself working there the whole time, and would have preferred to work in retail (truthfully). Anyway, as I was walking out at the end of my shift, my mum phoned and told me that the retail shop Next had phoned and offered me an interview on Monday (I applied for next about a month ago). I would love some advice about how to answer in the interview... and what they would be looking for.
The role I applied for is Sales Consultant (is this just really sales assistant... or the shop workers/ cashiers) :) I really hope i get this job and I want to come across as enthusiastic and very able in the interview. :) So please could someone give me some advice for me/ make it hard for them not to accept me :)

Love2Raid
16-10-10, 15:11
Be yourself and let them know that you both want this very much and believe that you can do it. Be confident and polite. Smile.

That's it.

Phlip
16-10-10, 15:14
They'll probably ask what you know about Next and ask for some example of how you've dealt in a situation where you've had to do team work, deal with an annoyed customer and stuff. :)

moodydog
16-10-10, 15:50
They'll probably ask what you know about Next and ask for some example of how you've dealt in a situation where you've had to do team work, deal with an annoyed customer and stuff. :)

ahh haha

Not had much customer experience :\
Its only a temp job though :P

voltz
16-10-10, 16:00
Temp job eh? Some advice, do whatever it takes to keep your thoughts to yourself. Temp jobs have a common routine where they can you at the drop of a hat if you mention something they don't agree with and they won't even think twice about your performance.

moodydog
16-10-10, 16:29
Temp job eh? Some advice, do whatever it takes to keep your thoughts to yourself. Temp jobs have a common routine where they can you at the drop of a hat if you mention something they don't agree with and they won't even think twice about your performance.

aah i will be very aware of that thanks :P

its a christmas temp... so i hope they keep me on :)

IceColdLaraCroft
16-10-10, 16:41
Be yourself as other's have said, but also come prepared to ask them questions. It's an opportunity for you to interview them as much as them interviewing you. And asking questions they're not prepared for will impress them :)

moodydog
16-10-10, 16:51
Be yourself as other's have said, but also come prepared to ask them questions. It's an opportunity for you to interview them as much as them interviewing you. And asking questions they're not prepared for will impress them :)

hehe ok.
Like for example, stuff like 'If a customer asks for a particular product which I know we don't sell, could I suggest to them similar highstreet shops around?'

IceColdLaraCroft
16-10-10, 16:54
No and I'd avoid asking about sending a customer somewhere else :vlol: your job is to generate sales for the store you work for LOL

Ask them about their own experiences with the company. Ask what's the most difficult aspect of the job? what's the best/worst experience the interviewer has had at the company either with customers or the company itself.

moodydog
16-10-10, 18:09
aah i see thanks :D

i suppose i need to know the history of next too :)

FloTheMachine
16-10-10, 20:45
I wouldn't know what to give for advice. :) But good luck with your interview nonetheless ;)

jackles
16-10-10, 20:55
hehe ok.
Like for example, stuff like 'If a customer asks for a particular product which I know we don't sell, could I suggest to them similar highstreet shops around?'

If they ask that you say I would check the stockroom or ring another branch or check the catalogue to see if they cant get it/something similiar in stock for you! Also show that you like fashion, be smartly but fashionably dressed. be smiley and polite. Show that you are keen to work.

I worked for River Island for 15 years.

Phlip
16-10-10, 21:02
ahh haha

Not had much customer experience :\
Its only a temp job though :P

Lie. :) Find something and exaggerate it.

Dark Lugia 2
16-10-10, 21:08
Do some research on Next like you mentioned! My friend had a job interview recently and the manager was very impressed that she had done her research :D It shows youre interested! Good luck!

robm_2007
16-10-10, 22:11
Lie, Lie, Lie.

tell them youve worked years in sales, adn that all of your references adn previous employers have died since then, and thats why you dont have a job in sales anymore (that way they cant confirm your story, but they might feel sad for you.)

Dont forget to Lie.

:pi:

voltz
16-10-10, 22:17
So Moody, you get fired yet? :cln:

I'm just doing a preemptive on ya. If it turns out that things don't work out, best thing you can go back to your temp and see if they still have other jobs they can assign for you, because I want you to know ahead of time that just because one job doesn't work out, doesn't mean your status from the agency is terminated.

snork
18-10-10, 16:01
So, how was it ?

moodydog
18-10-10, 16:32
just got back now :) :D

It was two hours long.... and wait for it.....

A GROUP INTERVIEW! there were 8 people in the interview

All the questions asked was in an application form (like what would you do if a customer... Why do you want to work for next... ect) :) It took about half an hour to fill that in.

After that, we had a task of stating our names and one thing we enjoy doing.
Then we split off into groups of two, and did a practice exercise where we designed a dress for an event. (they were looking for creativeness)

Then in our groups, we discussed more things about ourselves, and we had to tell our partner 3 things about ourselves, which we then had to talk about to the rest of the group.

Then we watched a DVD about NEXT customer service, and take notes at the same time. :)

Then we had a brief discussion about what to do with the customers.
Then 'any questions?'... I had two :D (i think I was the only one with questions :P )

and that was it. :D

I will know if I am in during the week.... really happy in how it went :)

snork
19-10-10, 14:51
Huh. That sounds surprisingly interesting, almost like fun.

Then 'any questions?'... I had two
:tmb: shows you think about it and were not easily to exhaust mindwise. I mean 2 hours of varied action, involvement and all.

Unless the questions were "Can we browse TRF in working hours?" or such. :p

moodydog
19-10-10, 16:34
oh yeh i was the only one to shake his hand at the end :D

Rai
19-10-10, 16:45
Sounds like you did well in the interview, so good luck! :)