PDA

View Full Version : Aftermath of a job interview..

MattTR
17-10-10, 16:17
Well guys and girls, I've been looking for a job for quite some time now, ever since I lost my last. I've had a couple interviews and never heard back, but just last Friday I had a job interview that was one of the most anticipated ones of a lifetime (for me anyway), a place where it would be my dream come true to work at, that place being GameStop.

I went in on Friday afternoon with my Lara Croft shirt on, long jeans, and a plaid over-shirt worn open, oh yes, and a smile on my face. :D I was second of four interviews, I chatted it up with the front desk guy, and then it was my turn to talk to the manager. She was ncie as can be, and we laughed and she asked me the routine questions. I told her about my Lara Croft fandom, and even about my experience meeting Crystal Dynamics over the summer. I didn't stop smiling once, and was as confident as can be. After all four interviewies, we were sent on the floor to experiment with the atmosphere. The four of us interacted with costumers, but then a slow point came upon us and we were all standing around.. I thought to myself, I had to stand out, but how? I started to organize the Wii section, then I moved on to the PS3 and Xbox 360 section, ending with the PS2 section.. rearranging them alphabetically, and fixing them, making them look neat. I surely owned the place!

It was time to end the task, the front desk guy gave his input, singling me out first, saying I had such good character and loved how I was so clean and neat with the store, a good sign yes? :cool: Well I sure hope so!

Now it's Sunday and I haven't heard anything as of yet, but I'm still playing the waiting game. Thank you all so much for reading this, but I have a few questions for all of you.

What was your past experience with job interviews, and how long did it take to hear back? When should you call back if you don't hear anything? :o

Thank you so much for reading, and wish me luck! :jmp:

[Xmas]
17-10-10, 16:21
I am sorry I can't help.... But I am sure you don't need to worry :)

Phlip
17-10-10, 16:28
Oh man, I hope you get the job. :hug:

The usual process is to assume you haven't got the job if they don't call back, but I dunno. :o

MattTR
17-10-10, 16:31
Oh man, I hope you get the job. :hug:

The usual process is to assume you haven't got the job if they don't call back, but I dunno. :o

I have a lot of people telling me to give them a week or two, but I was debating on calling them back to insure I'm still interested, very suspenseful! :eek: :p

xXhayleyroxXx
17-10-10, 16:39
Definately give them a week or two :tmb: They will send you a letter regardless of whether you got the job or not, or phone you. And if not they suck :vlol:

MattTR
17-10-10, 16:47
Definately give them a week or two :tmb: They will send you a letter regardless of whether you got the job or not, or phone you. And if not they suck :vlol:

Thanks hun, I plan on it. I sure do hope I hear something, good news or bad, but it seemed to have went extremely well. I'm pumped! :yah:

xXhayleyroxXx
17-10-10, 16:51
Thanks hun, I plan on it. I sure do hope I hear something, good news or bad, but it seemed to have went extremely well. I'm pumped! :yah:

No problem :hug: I really hope you get it Matt! Sounds so exciting ^_^

star-dust
17-10-10, 16:52
Wow, it sounds like you did an awesome job of your interview. I usually chicken out... and it's the worst time to chicken out during an interview. :p

My last interview I had to wait about 2 weeks for them to call me back and I was freaking...

Good luck, I hope you get the call back! :)

tranniversary119
17-10-10, 17:32
Woo! Great job, hopefully you'll get it :D It took me about a week and a half to get a call back, it's different for everyone though!

Rai
17-10-10, 17:41
Firstly, good luck, it does sound like the interview went well. What is the actual job title/description?

Don't worry about the wait, there may be a deadline in place and they're sticking by it. You may have to wait a week or two. Not all employers are great at informing you the outcome, you have to assume that you haven't got a job after you wait awhile, but you got to the interview so they should be more considerate. Obviously if you have the job, they'll let you know by phone or letter. If, after a couple of weeks, you haven't heard either way, there's no harm in giving them a call, but try to remember the interviewer's name, that'll be good and don't be put off either. The interview I went to for my new job went well, it almost didn't feel like an interview. I think that's a good sign.

I'm not sure you did the right thing with organising their shelves though. This could have gone down too ways: either they'll think you well organised and keen with a bit of initiative or they'll think you're too keen and a bit presumptuous. The person who'd normally be sorting the shelves out may also be a bit put out that some dude did his job - or he was happy with the display as it was :p. I wouldn't worry too much though, the interview itself is what matters.

Shark_Blade
17-10-10, 18:08
You've done your best and I do hope you get the job. :)

Don't forget to follow up with them from time to time. Some people/organization like it that you ask them when is the job you're pursuing will be filled, as it shows your appeal/interest on the job positon. If you're interested about them, they will be interested in you. :)

Evan C.
17-10-10, 18:53
Good luck,I need to find one urgently so I will post my experience,I never had a formal job so I am pretty excited.Anyway Matt,cross your fingers and just try to relax :)

Mona Sax
17-10-10, 19:13
That does sound very good indeed. Good luck! :hug:

I think it took about a week for them to call in my case.

Lizard of Oz
17-10-10, 19:23
Wish you lots of luck!

The fact that you visited Crystal Dynamics is an awesome plus! Who would've thought that? :)

DgoOdz94
17-10-10, 19:26
Good luck getting the job! :D :tmb:

You should send a follow-up letter. People say it gives you ore chances as the employer sees you're really interested in a position with them. Besides it's just nice to do that.

Johnnay
17-10-10, 21:42
Wow, with what you did on your interview, I really hope you get picked out of the 4 other people Bro

I don't know when you will find out when they will accept you but I hope they accept you:)

Good Luck Buddy:)

voltz
17-10-10, 21:48
Remember not to stress yourself out if they ask you to inventory everything, especially when there's a ton of customers around.

Underworld2008
17-10-10, 22:12
Good luck :) I'm sure you'll get it!

I'm having trouble finding a job at the moment, no where wants to hire me it seems :P

Dennis's Mom
17-10-10, 22:23
Good luck, Matt.

I would wait at least a week before contacting them to check on the status of the hire.

Next time, don't be afraid to ask if they have a time frame for making a decision, or if it would be OK to check back in a week or so to check the status of the opening.

Underworld2008
17-10-10, 22:31
Next time, don't be afraid to ask if they have a time frame for making a decision, or if it would be OK to check back in a week or so to check the status of the opening.

Yeah i agree with this, shows you're eager too :D

Little-Lara
17-10-10, 23:00
:eek: Gamestop :eek:

That is sooo cool. One of my dreams is to work for a game company. Good luck with everything. :D

MattTR
18-10-10, 00:44
Thank you so much for the good luck everyone, I hope I surely won't need too much of it. :o :hug:

Wow, it sounds like you did an awesome job of your interview. I usually chicken out... and it's the worst time to chicken out during an interview. :p

My last interview I had to wait about 2 weeks for them to call me back and I was freaking...

Good luck, I hope you get the call back! :)

That's what I'm figuring, a week or two. :

Firstly, good luck, it does sound like the interview went well. What is the actual job title/description?

Don't worry about the wait, there may be a deadline in place and they're sticking by it. You may have to wait a week or two. Not all employers are great at informing you the outcome, you have to assume that you haven't got a job after you wait awhile, but you got to the interview so they should be more considerate. Obviously if you have the job, they'll let you know by phone or letter. If, after a couple of weeks, you haven't heard either way, there's no harm in giving them a call, but try to remember the interviewer's name, that'll be good and don't be put off either. The interview I went to for my new job went well, it almost didn't feel like an interview. I think that's a good sign.

I'm not sure you did the right thing with organising their shelves though. This could have gone down too ways: either they'll think you well organised and keen with a bit of initiative or they'll think you're too keen and a bit presumptuous. The person who'd normally be sorting the shelves out may also be a bit put out that some dude did his job - or he was happy with the display as it was :p. I wouldn't worry too much though, the interview itself is what matters.

Thank you Rai. :hug: I hope I made the right decision, I was following my gamer instinct - if there is such a thing! :vlol: I am going to call tomorrow to just keep in touch and inform them I'm still eager and well interested. :tmb:

You've done your best and I do hope you get the job. :)

Don't forget to follow up with them from time to time. Some people/organization like it that you ask them when is the job you're pursuing will be filled, as it shows your appeal/interest on the job positon. If you're interested about them, they will be interested in you. :)

Yep, no doubt about I will follow-up! I don't want them to forget about me, right? ;) Actually, I made that quite impossible.. :ton:

:eek: Gamestop :eek:

That is sooo cool. One of my dreams is to work for a game company. Good luck with everything. :D

Aww, well thank you. :D And same here, if it all works out I may be the happiest guy alive! :yah:

scoopy_loopy
18-10-10, 03:28
If only you had a vagina, I'm sure Gamestop would've hired you on the spot! That's their latest trend, right? :pi:

Anyway, good luck.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-10-10, 04:27
If only you had a vagina, I'm sure Gamestop would've hired you on the spot! That's their latest trend, right? :pi:

Anyway, good luck.

It's good to see there are people around to say the things I'd only think. Incidently, I don't think that's limited to Gamestop. Out of college I was up against a candidate with a lower GPA, no military background (which employers allegedly like), other than that, the same. I didn't get the job, I was "outgendered".

Still though, I hope they hire you. The job market is pretty rough now.

Ikas90
18-10-10, 04:45
Wow, you surely would have stood out, Matt! :D

I don't doubt that you will get the job. :hug:

scoopy_loopy
18-10-10, 04:48
It's good to see there are people around to say the things I'd only think. Incidently, I don't think that's limited to Gamestop. Out of college I was up against a candidate with a lower GPA, no military background (which employers allegedly like), other than that, the same. I didn't get the job, I was "outgendered".

Still though, I hope they hire you. The job market is pretty rough now.

I don't know if it's a trend in general, it's just really noticeable with gamestop/EB. It works for their target audience I guess.

BoyTRaider
18-10-10, 05:00
Good luck, Matt. That sounds pretty exciting. :)

I usually don't act too confident at job interviews, but on my last one at Best Buy I acted super confident and tried to be as positive as can be and got the job! Working with gaming and stuff has been fun, but I did transfer to the Computers department now.

I wish you all the luck man. :)

Saphyre
18-10-10, 10:37
My first job interview last month was very scary. I was applying for a job at a call centre, and I had to do an online typing test. Now I am a fast typer, but the nerves took over and I ended up getting 50% which wasn't good enough. Fortunately they gave me a second chance, and on my second try I got 80%. then I was accepted for the main interview, and after that they told me then and there that all I has to do was fill in some paper work and the job was mine. So yeah it was a bit of an oddball of an interview!

MattTR
18-10-10, 18:41
Thank you all so much for your feedback, all. I have some awesome news! :jmp:

I called back and asked to talk to the manager, the worker told me she wasn't there and asked if I was "Matt", and after I said yes he told me to call her back later because there's good news involved! This looks great! I just may be working at my dream job.. I am so excited! :yah:

Laras Backpack
18-10-10, 18:50
:tmb: I'm really pleased for you. Your behaviour at interview sounded superb :D It's hard to have the confidence to stand out and go with your instincts, so well done!

Melonie Tomb Raider
18-10-10, 18:51

I called back and asked to talk to the manager, the worker told me she wasn't there and asked if I was "Matt", and after I said yes he told me to call her back later because there's good news involved! This looks great! I just may be working at my dream job.. I am so excited! :yah:

:eek: OMG YUS!!!! So excited for you CONGRATULATIONS!!! :jmp: :hug:

MattTR
18-10-10, 18:52
:eek: OMG YUS!!!! So excited for you CONGRATULATIONS!!! :jmp: :hug:

THANK YOU SO MUCH MELONIE! :jmp:

GameStop is my dream job, in the least nerdy way ever! :vlol:

For I am.. MattTR, how could they say no to me? :whi: :p

ajrich17901
18-10-10, 18:53

That is amazing news man, really hoping you got the job!
I'll be calling upon you for gaming release dates and whatnot :p:jmp:

MattTR
18-10-10, 18:55
That is amazing news man, really hoping you got the job!
I'll be calling upon you for gaming release dates and whatnot :p:jmp:

Surely.. ;) In fact I'll just memorize all of them.. but remember, Lara comes first. :ohn:

ajrich17901
18-10-10, 18:55
Surely.. ;) In fact I'll just memorize all of them.. but remember, Lara comes first. :ohn:

Well yeah, of course Nate...I mean lara comes first :p:D

MattTR
18-10-10, 18:57
Well yeah, of course Nate...I mean lara comes first :p:D

I mentioned I like to have Nathan Drake and Lara Croft arguments to the manager, she laughed up a storm. :vlol:

Don't come into my store. :ohn:

coolaideonfire
18-10-10, 18:57
My one and only interview was for the job I'm in now. I heard back the same day that it had been cut down to myself and another person, the following day I heard I had the job. :)

MattTR
18-10-10, 18:58
My one and only interview was for the job I'm in now. I heard back the same day that it had been cut down to myself and another person, the following day I heard I had the job. :)

Well done! :yah:

What kind of job is it? :o

ajrich17901
18-10-10, 19:02
I mentioned I like to have Nathan Drake and Lara Croft arguments to the manager, she laughed up a storm. :vlol:

Don't come into my store. :ohn:

I'd fly there just to get ya going about Lara and Nate hahaha

MattTR
18-10-10, 19:32
I'd fly there just to get ya going about Lara and Nate hahaha

Be prepared, we'd be in for a much heated debate. :eek: :p

Alpharaider47
18-10-10, 19:34
Awesome news Matt, soon we might be cross country co-workers of sorts :vlol:

MattTR
18-10-10, 19:34
Awesome news Matt, soon we might be cross country co-workers of sorts :vlol:

You can say that again, Chaz! :yah:

Power to the players. ;) :vlol:

ajrich17901
18-10-10, 19:37
Be prepared, we'd be in for a much heated debate. :eek: :p

Oh its on!
*insert gamestop bunny looking thing here* Power to the players! haha

Mona Sax
18-10-10, 19:38
Have you been able to talk to the manager yet?

MattTR
18-10-10, 19:39
Have you been able to talk to the manager yet?

I called around an hour and a half ago, and he said to call later, so I'm going to give it a little more time.

I am so excited! :jmp:

Mona Sax
18-10-10, 19:40
I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Johnnay
18-10-10, 19:42

After seeing this Bro, i have to say what a good, proud man you are:hug:. You've achieved so hard for it, and i hope she hires you Buddy:D.

Im so Proud and happy for you Brother:D

MattTR
18-10-10, 20:23
I just called back - I have the job!

They're going to let me know when to come in, they love my personality! :yah:

:jmp:

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! :D :D :D :D :D

ajrich17901
18-10-10, 20:26

Well done man, and I wish ya all the luck in the world with it dude.

Alpharaider47
18-10-10, 20:26

I'm very happy for you! :D
Now we are cross country co-workers of sorts :vlol: ;)

MattTR
18-10-10, 20:28
Well done man, and I wish ya all the luck in the world with it dude.

Thanks man! I'm going to put my video game knowledge to the test and do the best I could do. :tmb: :D

I'm very happy for you! :D
Now we are cross country co-workers of sorts :vlol: ;)

You can say that again, bud! GameStop employees for the win! :yah:

Johnnay
18-10-10, 20:28
i just called back - i have the job!

I can't believe it! :d :d :d :d :d

i so knew it: Congrats bro:) you will do good, dont you worry

ajrich17901
18-10-10, 20:32
Thanks man! I'm going to put my video game knowledge to the test and do the best I could do. :tmb: :D

Glad to hear it man, you'd be shocked by the morons working at my Gamestop over here, I think its time I put an application in so they can have an "Actual" gamer working there.

Mona Sax
18-10-10, 20:34
Congrats are in order! :tmb:

MattTR
18-10-10, 22:54
Thank you all so much, as I assured the manager, I will be very kind and caring with the customers. :tmb:

Shark_Blade
18-10-10, 22:57
Congrats Matt. :D Thats awesome news you got hired.

MattTR
18-10-10, 22:59
Thank you! :hug:

I am so excited, I just can't stop smiling. :D

Love2Raid
18-10-10, 23:26

I didn't want to cheer too early, but:

:yah::yah::yah:

That's really great news! :tmb:

DgoOdz94
18-10-10, 23:34

CONGRATS MATT!!!! :yah: :jmp:

*cough* How about some discounts? :mis: :p

tombraiderxii
19-10-10, 00:15
Congratulations on getting the job Matt! :yah: :yah: :yah:

.... I just envy you so much right now... :p Congrats anyway! I'm sure you'll definitely be an awesome employee! :jmp:

(If I ever go to a job interview for a Game Shop, I'm totally using the Crystal Visit to my advantage as well :p)

MattTR
19-10-10, 02:16
Haha, discounts? Maybe if you're lucky. :pi:

Congratulations on getting the job Matt! :yah: :yah: :yah:

.... I just envy you so much right now... :p Congrats anyway! I'm sure you'll definitely be an awesome employee! :jmp:

(If I ever go to a job interview for a Game Shop, I'm totally using the Crystal Visit to my advantage as well :p)

Surely mention it, it may have helped me a little. :ton:

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-10-10, 02:21
YAAAAAY! Of course they loved you, this is no surprise. :hug:

MattTR
19-10-10, 02:22

Aww, thanks Melonie! :o

I didn't stop smiling once, and I acted cute as a button, what's more to like? :ton:

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-10-10, 02:31
Aww, thanks Melonie! :o

I didn't stop smiling once, and I acted cute as a button, what's more to like? :ton:

I know, right?! How can anyone say no to that?!! :D

tombraiderxii
19-10-10, 03:08
I know, right?! How can anyone say no to that?!! :D

Quotes for Truth :tea: :jmp:

Haha, discounts? Maybe if you're lucky. :pi:

Surely mention it, it may have helped me a little. :ton:

Will do! :p (PS If I ever go to Florida for vacation with my family, I'll be sure to stop by lol :ton:) :tea:

BoyTRaider
19-10-10, 04:13
:D :D

Congrats other Matt, you deserve it. :tmb:

\Tomb Raider/
19-10-10, 04:32
congrats matt :cln: im sure you do a awsome job :jmp::jmp:

tranniversary119
19-10-10, 11:59
Congrats, make sure you tell us how your first day goes :D good luck!

egypt_gypsie
19-10-10, 12:41
Congrats Matt :)

I would love to work at Gamestop. I would actually be excited to go to work everyday xD

Your_Envy*
19-10-10, 14:24
Congratulations Matty, I am so happy for you! :hug:

Make sure to let us know how you like it there! :cln:

Antonio
19-10-10, 14:55
Congratulations Matt, :tmb: now I know if I have any problems in GameStop who should I ask for help. Don't worry I wont spam.:p
It's really great you finally working in place where is your passion. :D

Rai
19-10-10, 16:32
Wow, congratulations on getting the job, Matt! see, you were worried about noting ;)

:D

MattTR
20-10-10, 01:16
You can say that again Rai, haha. :vlol:

I handed in my paperwork today, so it's definitely official. :yah: If you guys have questions, feel free to ask. :tmb:

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and support, it means a lot to me. :o