PDA

View Full Version : Tell your local ghost stories...

Another Lara
20-10-10, 16:07
OK, lights off, torch, creepy music and popcorn at the ready, let's get in the mood for Halloween! :mis:

Any spooky, weird or unexplained stories that are local to you, whether it be your house, your town or the district you live in... all can be told here!

The more chilling the better! :cln:

touchthesky
20-10-10, 16:16
:)

http://www.haunted-britain.com/spynie%20palace.jpg
Spynie Palace.

Nr. Elgin. Moray.

For over five hundred years Spynie Palace was the seat of the Bishops of Moray, and its hollow shell looks back at past ages of grandeur and glory, whilst the mark of history is blazoned across its time-scarred walls. It nestles in quiet seclusion, almost lost amidst tranquil countryside, and to delve into its rambling ruins is to walk in the footsteps of Kings and Queens, not to mention a rich array of historical and legendary figures from Scotland’s past.

One of the more infamous of its residents was Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan, whose mob of “wyld wykkd Heland-men” torched the town of Elgin in 1390 and burnt its Cathedral. Whether Spynie Palace suffered damage at this time is not known, but Alexander Stewart - known to history as the ‘Wolf of Badenoch’ - was later appointed keeper of the Palace by King Robert 111, following the death of the then Bishop in 1397. Although his tenure was no more than a year, he appears to have found its allure irresistible, and his sinister spectre has been seen many times leaning on a railing on the first floor landing of David’s Tower, gazing down on witnesses with seemingly wicked intent.

Its is within and around the unyielding bulk of David’s Tower (named for Bishop David Stewart who began its construction in the 15th century) that much of Spynie Palace’s paranormal activity is centred. Visitors approaching it have caught glimpses of a hazy face gazing at them from its upper storeys. Once inside you find yourself almost overwhelmed by the vastness of the stone walls that soar six storeys above you. The inner walls and vaults have long since collapsed leaving a gaunt shell to whose sides a tenacious covering of dull plaster clings defiantly. Mysterious rooms and dark recesses are set into the tower’s east wall and here a veritable cornucopia of phantoms and presences are known to lurk.

Many visitors have reported sighting a ghostly woman sitting in an arched niche to the tower’s right side as they enter. Trudging up to the next floor and traipsing along the narrow stone corridor some people have been overcome by a nauseous feeling accompanied by a headache. However, is all they have to do is politely say ‘excuse me,’ step to one side and the feeling quickly passes, as the unseen entity responsible simply moves on by. More disturbing is the column of white mist, human in size, that has been known to materialise in mid air and drift briskly towards astonished witnesses. On one occasion this unnerving phenomenon succeeded in knocking a startled sceptic to the ground as it swept over him! A mysterious phantom skull often appears on photographs taken inside the tower, as does the indistinct form of a ghostly lion, said to be the revenant of a pet once owned by one of the Bishop’s.

Spynie Palace is one of Scotland’s eeriest and most haunted buildings, yet it possesses an atmosphere that both captivates and engrosses. Its history is fascinating, it’s location enchanting, and its ambience is greatly enhanced by the chance of an encounter with a resident wraith.

----

Sgt BOMBULOUS
20-10-10, 16:16
OK, lights off, torch, creepy music and popcorn at the ready, let's get in the mood for Halloween! :mis:

Any spooky, weird or unexplained stories that are local to you, whether it be your house, your town or the district you live in... all can be told here!

The more chilling the better! :cln:

Houston is too new to have ghosts. However, back at home in Hanover Pennsylvania my mom insists their house is haunted. It's almost 200 years old, and one of the oldest in the entire area. I think she said she saw a man in a suit standing there while they we renovating it years ago. Others who had lived in the house 30 years ago confirmed the same thing. Glad I never saw that when I lived there!

Necromanser
20-10-10, 16:26
There's apparently some old abandoned hospital that is haunted.

Built in 1930's, together with an A/E opposite the road and several blocks of commando barracks cum Changi prison nearby, the Old Changi Hospital (OCH) is situated at Netheravon Road in Changi villages. It has quite a long and rich history for being the former hospital of today's modern Changi General Hospital in Simei and Toa Payoh Hospital equipped with world-class facilities.

With its classical design, one can see that OCH is a typical replica of buildings built by British Colonial architects in the early 20's. Surprisingly OCH was not meant to be a hospital when it was first built (same for the A/E). The British was planning to have a heavily guarded military location in the east of Singapore. The site was strategically selected for it is high on top of a hill overlooking the sea surrounding most of the east side and the south side of the island. For about 10 years before the war, this classical 7-storey high building compound was used as military command quarters and barracks.

During the assault of the Japanese aggression from Malaya in February 1942, Changi was targeted as one of the first attack points. In a day or two, it was occupied by the Japanese army moving from Puala Ubin. Soon after that OCH was converted to a military hospital where all the wounded soldiers and civilians were attended to. After the Japanese Occupation ended, it was converted back to its original self, as a public hospital and later with a Military ward on the third level.

From February 1997 onwards, OCH was closed for its hospital operations were replaced by the new Changi General Hospital. It got isolated and left vacant there since then. According to some insider sources, the abandoned OCH will remain as it is but it will be re-open for the 'public' soon during 2005 for the Army Camp or for the Officer Cadet School (OCS) Trainees.

However, stories about the building being haunted started in the early 40's. The Hospital itself had 70+ years of rich history when it survived from the dreadful World War II that took place from 1942 to 1945, witnessing the fall of Singapore and the brutal tortures towards the prisoners of war (POW) that happened there. Therefore, seeing spirits of all races and of different nationals wandering around in the compound would be a common sight.

If you are thinking of visiting the hospital in the hope of bumping into a spirit of any nature, go with 2 or 3 friends. If you go beyond that, you will never see it as they are all hiding behind the window pane or the back of the door WATCHING at you. But of course, you can go there alone, however you will never find yourself ALONE.

Mind you I went there at about 11pm with a group of friends, was getting scared of shadows. The whole place is trashed and destroyed now and graffiti is written on most of the walls. Scary experience overall.

http://www.spi.com.sg/haunted/ghoulish_trial/och/DSC00023.jpg

http://www.spi.com.sg/haunted/ghoulish_trial/och/DSC00185.jpg

http://www.spi.com.sg/haunted/ghoulish_trial/och/DSC00057.jpg

Catapharact
20-10-10, 16:27
Got a few actually (one of them also includes incidents occuring at one of my University's campuses.)

Taken from: http://www.toronto.com/attractions/article/529748

Soldiers’ Tower, University of Toronto

Situated beside the University College building on U of T’s St. George campus, Soldiers’ Tower is a monument to the school’s alumni who have served and died for their country. In the 1930s, legend has it that a caretaker who was cleaning the bells in the room at the top of the tower died when he lost his balance and fell out the window.

Since then, some students have claimed to have been startled by the sight of a man falling from the upper level of the tower to the ground below. After calling for help, however, they realize that the man has vanished.

Still others have reported a paranormal presence in the room atop Soldiers’ Tower – from which the man presumably fell.

Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre

The legendary theatre complex at Yonge and Queen has been around since 1913. But while the Elgin became a movie theatre in the 1920s (and remained that way until 1981), the upper-level Winter Garden Theatre stood unused for 60 years before re-opening in the 1980s.

But that’s not to say the Winter Garden remained silent over all those years. Theatre workers claim to have seen – and heard – the ghost of a musician named “Sam”, who played there in the 1920s and died when he fell into the orchestra pit.

“He is still said to wander around from time to time, and his saxophone can sometimes be heard as if he is still performing for audiences 80 years after his death,” said Fiennes-Clinton.

Mackenzie House Museum

Once the home of Toronto’s first mayor and leader of the 1837 Upper Canada Rebellion, this house is also where William Lyon Mackenzie died in 1861.

Some believe he’s still there.

According to Fiennes-Clinton, visitors to the museum have reported seeing some strange things. “A rocking chair in the basement kitchen moves of its own accord, the piano in the parlour is played by unseen hands, and people have even reported seeing the ghost of Mackenzie in his upstairs master bedroom!” he said.

jaywalker
20-10-10, 18:39
When was at school we had many stories passed down by the older kids, and everyone knew someone who had had SOMETHING happen to them. Our school was a very old one, made up of a lot of really old buildings. Wooden beams in the roof etc, that style.

My fave story was in the room used as the gym which had a `ghost` who hung themselves from one of the beams and it was just in front of where they had the basketball hoop.. many stories existed of people taking long lobs and the ball unnaturally falling down at the exact spot where the body would have hung..

As i was a boarder there meant i slept in this building too as well as attending day school there. During the night the corridors would be empty but wouldnt stop the noises, the creaking etc echoing along the corridors creeping the kids out :)

Spong
20-10-10, 22:43
Borley Rectory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borley_Rectory) (on Wiki).

Picture (http://www.dirjournal.com/info/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Borley-Rectory-outside.jpg) (too large to post)

Once reputed to be the most haunted place in the UK. I went there one night years ago with a group of friends. It was rubbish.

TheBloodRed
20-10-10, 22:46
Mine would have to go into mature chat because of the details but it involves the KKK and a bridge... <.<

Scary road too. You are supposed to stop under the bridge in neutral and let the ghosts push you out from under the bridge, it is freaky and works. ;P

Obviously it is on a slight incline but it is fun to scare your friends who don't know about it.

KKK and Neo-nazi groups have meetings in that area all the time too. So much slander and such is written on the bridge just being around it gives bad vibes.

The road's name is Crawford Road (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=crawford+road+yorktown+va&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Crawford+Rd,+Yorktown,+VA+23690&gl=us&ei=jHG_TPXcIIL6lwfO9NThBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ8gEwAA) in Yorktown and Crafford Road on the Newport News side(to try to prevent people from going there). It is funny because it doesn't appear on most maps. On the link provided you can find the bridge being Historical Tour Road crossing over.

If you are curious, please use Google Street View to see under the bridge. Keep in mind that many of the messages are not suitable for everyone.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-10-10, 22:55
There were supposedly witches residing at the pub where my dad lives:
http://www.helium.com/items/1740927-riding-mill-witches

The dunking tank & hanging noose are still there :/ I live 2 minutes from the wellington.

I also found this website:
http://heartofmorpeth.com/theghostsofnorthumbria/theghostsofnorthumbria.html

All northumbria's ghost stories ^_^ My favourite is about devil's water *5 minutes drive from my house*, but its so sad!

TheBloodRed
20-10-10, 22:55
Rosewell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewell_(plantation)) is an old plantation house that is in ruins yet the ghosts still "live on" there.

It is just a creepy place to be in general and there is always a feeling of being watched. I have seen numerous amateur photos of shapes and shadows that cannot be fully explained. Tons of orbs too(that are not bugs, but many around here mistake bugs for orbs because they don't know the difference).

There are many creepy stories but the best ones are the modern ones when you and your friends roam around giving each other scares. :P

The Great Chi
20-10-10, 22:58
Scary road too. You are supposed to stop under the bridge in neutral and let the ghosts push you out from under the bridge, it is freaky and works. ;P.These type of roads are well known about throughout the world, called all sort of names by the locals, like magic hill, electric brae, magnetic marvel, etc, etc

They are just optical illusions which fool the eyes, due to the ground alongside the road.

If you look at the road it either looks flat or its gradient (slope) is the opposite way to what you see, due to the angle of the ground next to the road being different from the road. creating the illusion effect.

When you release the handbrake and in neutral, the car starts to move or even seems to roll uphill.

It is easly proved by putting a ball on the road and it moves or goes 'uphill', but is really going downhill.

I have been on one of these roads before, and it is fun going 'uphill' without power, but thats in the daylight, not a spooky nightime :D

TheBloodRed
20-10-10, 23:02
Doing it at nighttime is fun. I have scared many friends driving back home that way and they seem to think it is real.

I put on the handbrake to show that the car is at a complete stop and then I put it down and let the car move by itself. They freak out because the car is moving. I then usually hit the horn to make them nearly **** themselves. :vlol:

The Great Chi
20-10-10, 23:04
You are so wicked :mis:....... :vlol:

TheBloodRed
20-10-10, 23:08
You know you'd do it too!!

It is like at Rosewell, it being so easy to lie that you heard or saw something and having everyone believe you. It is all in good fun but Rosewell is borderline trespassing whereas Crawford Rd you just gotta be not anything the KKK or Neo-Nazi's would have predjudice for. (sometimes big redneck trucks go down the road and you know surely that it is one of them so you let them pass, heart a pounding lol)

And no, I would never go around there whenever the rallies are held. The Crawford Rd area in general is a no go for me during those days because I don't want to see any of the members milling around. xP

Cochrane
20-10-10, 23:11
We don’t have a lot of good ghost stories in the Harz mountains. But what we do have are witches.

Our largest mountain, the Brocken (also known as Blocksberg), is known as a place where the witches meet since long before the german word for witch (Hexe) even existed. There, the devil and the witches met and formed and celebrated their evil pact in regular intervals, for example during the Walpurgis night (May 30th. No historic celebration of Halloween here). There are Hexentanzplätze (Witch dance places) all over the Harz mountains, but the Brocken is widely agreed to be the most important place for all witches in Germany, at the very least.

Of course, most of that was invented by the church (based on older religious practices) as justification for their witch hunts and witch trials, and a lot of people were burned at the stake because they were seriously accused of having participated in such "dark rites". Today, people tend to ignore that part of history, but the local tourism industry makes a lot of money with special Walpurgis celebrations, witch-themed souvenirs and so on.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
20-10-10, 23:15
We don’t have a lot of good ghost stories in the Harz mountains. But what we do have are witches.

Our largest mountain, the Brocken (also known as Blocksberg), is known as a place where the witches meet since long before the german word for witch (Hexe) even existed. There, the devil and the witches met and formed and celebrated their evil pact in regular intervals, for example during the Walpurgis night (May 30th. No historic celebration of Halloween here). There are Hexentanzplätze (Witch dance places) all over the Harz mountains, but the Brocken is widely agreed to be the most important place for all witches in Germany, at the very least.

Of course, most of that was invented by the church (based on older religious practices) as justification for their witch hunts and witch trials, and a lot of people were burned at the stake because they were seriously accused of having participated in such "dark rites". Today, people tend to ignore that part of history, but the local tourism industry makes a lot of money with special Walpurgis celebrations, witch-themed souvenirs and so on.

Interesting... The original name for the Death Eaters in Harry Potter was going to be "The Nights of Walpurgis". Not sure why they changed it.

The Great Chi
20-10-10, 23:21
I think JK Rowling used every bit of information she could get her hands on :D

Made her a multi-millionare :p

TheBloodRed
20-10-10, 23:21
@Sgt BOMBULOUS:

Nerd! :ton:

The Great Chi
20-10-10, 23:30
'IS SHE A WITCH' TEST (monty python style from the Holy Grail)

Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether
she is a witch.
VILLAGER #1: Are there?
VILLAGER #2: Ah?
VILLAGER #1: What are they?
CROWD: Tell us! Tell us!...
BEDEVERE: Tell me, what do you do with witches?
VILLAGER #2: Burn!
VILLAGER #1: Burn!
CROWD: Burn! Burn them up! Burn!...
BEDEVERE: And what do you burn apart from witches?
VILLAGER #1: More witches!
VILLAGER #3: Shh!
VILLAGER #2: Wood!
BEDEVERE: So, why do witches burn?
[pause]
VILLAGER #3: Because they're made of... wood?
BEDEVERE: Good! Heh heh.
CROWD: Oh yeah. Oh.
BEDEVERE: So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?
VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of her.
BEDEVERE: Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?
VILLAGER #1: Oh, yeah.
RANDOM: Oh, yeah. True. Uhh...
BEDEVERE: Does wood sink in water?
VILLAGER #1: No. No.
VILLAGER #2: No, it floats! It floats!
VILLAGER #1: Throw her into the pond!
CROWD: The pond! Throw her into the pond!
BEDEVERE: What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1: Bread!
VILLAGER #2: Apples!
VILLAGER #3: Uh, very small rocks!
VILLAGER #1: Cider!
VILLAGER #2: Uh, gra-- gravy!
VILLAGER #1: Cherries!
VILLAGER #2: Mud!
VILLAGER #3: Churches! Churches!
VILLAGER #2: Lead! Lead!
ARTHUR: A duck!
CROWD: Oooh.
BEDEVERE: Exactly. So, logically...
VILLAGER #1: If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.
BEDEVERE: And therefore?
VILLAGER #2: A witch!
VILLAGER #1: A witch!
CROWD: A witch! A witch!...

One of my favorite films.

Cochrane
20-10-10, 23:33
Interesting... The original name for the Death Eaters in Harry Potter was going to be "The Nights of Walpurgis". Not sure why they changed it.

Interesting, I never knew that. My guess is that it is about being recognizable: We all can imagine what a Death Eater might be, and that it isn't someone you’d like to be friends with. Walpurgis, though, is mainly known in central europe, not so much in the english language area, where Halloween seems to have a similar purpose, but at the other end of the year. Making Walpurgis something definitely negative is also at least dubious; today it is mainly a general celebration, while in the 16th century, it was an excuse for witch burning, which some might say might be condoned by associating the evil wizards with it.

The Great Chi
20-10-10, 23:43
Do you think the death eaters are like Tolkiens dark riders (lord of the rings) ?

Or maybe they just bought their dark cloaks from the same shop :D

jaywalker
21-10-10, 07:33
Ooh remembered another one from school

There was 2 ways up from the main building to the sleeping area, and the dorms were arranged along these long corridors (and down some offshoot corridors too). We had inspections every so often and we all would be having someone listening out, and we'd always hear the whisper coming from up the corridor and would promptly jump into bed or turn torches out etc (we were such an innocent bunch of rebels really heh)..

Thing was we never really chased up next day who had warned us etc, as we always assumed it was the other dorms (each dorm was like a gang and stuck together even during day at school etc).

However a few years later when nearing end of our time there before moving up to senior school some of the kids were chitchatting about fun times we'd had etc and asked about the message and what it meant as was always assumed it was just a simple call (like a cat call)

As i said everyone assumed it was just the other dorms, but when we talked together we realised that the other dorms assumed the same that it was us calling out to them.. We asked the teachers and told them what we had been hearing, it sounded like the word "Cavey". When they replied that it was latin for "Danger" we all kinda went a little white, as none of us spoke latin, we didnt get taught it (the class had been dropped a few years before we joined the school in '82/3). So who had been calling it!?!

I've looked it up and its quite a known phrase in public schools to be used as a call of warning, but none of us knew it here (well it was yorkshire ;))

Another Lara
21-10-10, 08:08
Borley Rectory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borley_Rectory) (on Wiki).

Picture (http://www.dirjournal.com/info/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Borley-Rectory-outside.jpg) (too large to post)

Once reputed to be the most haunted place in the UK. I went there one night years ago with a group of friends. It was rubbish.

I thought it had mysteriously burnt down so there wouldn't be anything there to see now, and that the hauntings in the area stopped after the fire anyway? Borley Rectory was my absolute favourite ghost story that I always used to read about as a kid, always wanted to visit there! :D

Houston is too new to have ghosts. However, back at home in Hanover Pennsylvania my mom insists their house is haunted. It's almost 200 years old, and one of the oldest in the entire area. I think she said she saw a man in a suit standing there while they we renovating it years ago. Others who had lived in the house 30 years ago confirmed the same thing. Glad I never saw that when I lived there!

The house me and Jay live in at the moment is around 260 years old and so is very creeky... as the top 2 floors were turned into flats, it's very easy to dismiss noises as our neighbours... but the feeling of being watched, taps turning on of their own accord and lights turning on after you've left the room, aren't the actions of neighbours! :o

When I was little and lived on Canvey Island in Essex, there wasn't that many ghost stories around, seeing as it had only ever really been a bit of marsh that the Dutch used for sheep farming in the 1700s and wasn't actually lived on until the late 19th Century, there wasn't any history there to help fabricate the stories. There is one though that on some nights a misty figure can be seen walking along the marsh who is suspected of being a Viking looking for his boat home! :p

One place I have visited in Essex that sent a chill down my spine is a little village near my old college called Canewdon, which is supposed to be very haunted indeed and has one of the most haunted churches in England apparently! There are too many stories to mention so I'll just post a link to them all:
http://www.travbuddy.com/Canewdon-Ghosts-v191412

Where we live now in Surrey, my favourite ghost stories come from Hampton Court Palace which is about half an hour away. We've done a ghost walk there and it was really atmospheric and creepy... didn't see any ghosts though!:(

One of the most famous stories from Hampton Court is that of Katherine Howard who was accused of adultery and arrested there, and apparently she ran down the corridor to plead for mercy to Henry who was in the chapel praying. She just made it to the door of the chapel before the guards caught up with her and dragged her away screaming for Henry... apparently you're supposed to see her running down the corridor or hear her crying. :(

Spong
21-10-10, 16:02
I thought it had mysteriously burnt down so there wouldn't be anything there to see now, and that the hauntings in the area stopped after the fire anyway? Borley Rectory was my absolute favourite ghost story that I always used to read about as a kid, always wanted to visit there! :D

I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the place, I never even bothered reading that Wiki page I linked. I visited Borley nearly twenty years ago now, all I knew was the reputation it had. And it utterly failed to live up to it (and you've most likely explained why). The whole excursion would've been a complete write-off had there not been a couple of women with us, but I digress...

ryan91
21-10-10, 16:54
when i read ghost stories i find them ridiculous. but when it gets dark and i go to bed, i remember those tard stories and jump at shadows. i don't turn off the tv till the morning :D.

cbragg09
21-10-10, 17:19
The Moundsville Penetintiary

'Nuff said
:)

Phlip
21-10-10, 17:34
I don't have any LOCAL ones, but I love telling this one...

Once upon a time, there were 3 people living in Hill House Manor; a mother, a live-in maid, and the son, many years ago.

https://mymotels.com/propertyimages/298312/old_manor_country_house_exterior_leven_unitedkingd om.jpg

The son loved to eat ice-cream, Strawberry ice-cream. He couldn't get enough of it. He would ask the maid regularly to bring him his ice-cream via the dumb waiter.

http://www.haagendazs.com/img_db/pro/pro_sti_101.jpg http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/Dumb20waiter20door-1.jpg

But then one day, the maid put the ice-cream too far at the back in the dumb waiter, so the boy leaned in. Further and further until he could eventually reach it, but then, as he was trying to get out, the dumb waiter started coming back up because of the automatic mechanism, while the son was halfway inside. Unfortunately by then, it was too late... his head had got caught and been CHOPPED off.

Later, when the maid came to collect the empty dish of strawberry ice cream, she found the head.

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/298001_main.jpg http://www.badidea.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/screaming-woman.jpg

Some people say he was pushed by another boy who lived there before him, having lost his own head, needing to find a new one. Others say the maid strategically placed the strawberry ice-cream too far at the back of the dumb waiter and had manually pulled it up on purpose.