PDA

View Full Version : Squatters rights in the UK, madness !

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 16:53
Just read a mad thing on the internet today.

A guy in London went on holiday, and a load of Italian students moved into his house to stay, and the guy cannot get them evicted.

It seem in England it is not a criminal act to move illegally into a persons house and stay there, it is a civil action and could cost the owner a fortune in legal fees and years to get these squatter out.

I know what we would do with them in certain states in the USA, if they tried it here :mis:

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 16:59
What is it with you and constantly bashing the UK?

Anyway, are you not going to provide a source? I've heard this news story but knowing you you probably got it from some tabloid.

Spong
22-10-10, 17:03
It's only a civil matter if the squatters did not force entry and there's no evidence of damage. If they did, then it becomes a criminal matter and the squatters are removed by the police straight away.

But, other than that, you're right Chi, it's a stupid law.

Evan C.
22-10-10, 17:06
I didn't knew that :O
Even,I wouldn't hurt a person because it entered on my house,I would just do it in case of life or death matter,but even that would be horrible to both.

Cochrane
22-10-10, 17:18
There are similar laws in a lot of countries (possibly even the US…). For example, I recently read a report about how widespread this is in the Netherlands. In the case you describe, though, it seems that those squatter’s rights do not apply, since the owner wasn’t away for a very long time.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-10-10, 17:26
What is it with you and constantly bashing the UK?

Anyway, are you not going to provide a source? I've heard this news story but knowing you you probably got it from some tabloid.

I've never seen him bashing the uk... he said a lot of nice things about Northumbria.

It is ridiculous though, I've known a few people who've lost their homes to squatters.

Spong
22-10-10, 17:28
...he said a lot of nice things about Northumbria.

Did he? Wow, I'm impressed, I live in the UK and I can't think of anything nice to say about Northumbria.

LOL

xXhayleyroxXx
22-10-10, 17:29
Did he? Wow, I'm impressed, I live in the UK and I can't think of anything nice to say about Northumbria.

LOL

I hope you're kidding ^_^

Spong
22-10-10, 17:30
I hope you're kidding ^_^

I might be :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
22-10-10, 17:31
I might be :pi:

You better be :pi: ^_^

tampi
22-10-10, 17:34
Same thing here.
There are people who Squatters = "okupas (occupied)" houses and change the lock. The owner finally can not enter his house for YEARS!:confused:

Chocola teapot
22-10-10, 17:37
One of my FAV laws.

I wouldn't be amused if this happened to me though.

Dennis's Mom
22-10-10, 17:39
Talk about nerve!

Found a couple of sources:
http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/legal_blog_watch/2010/10/uk-squatters-will-be-taking-your-house-thank-you-very-much.html (comments are worth reading)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322246/Man-leaves-home-week-decorated-15-squatters-in.html

Spong
22-10-10, 17:43
The reason stuff like this takes sooo flippin' long to resolve is the bureaucracy, the red tape. It's all so unnecessary :hea:

Lara's Nemesis
22-10-10, 17:46
Squatting is illegal in Scotland thankfully.

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 17:49
I've never seen him bashing the uk... he said a lot of nice things about Northumbria.He hates the UK. Loves belittling and ridiculing us. I dare say he gives Americans on here a bad name.

Chocola teapot
22-10-10, 18:04
He hates the UK. Loves belittling and ridiculing us. I dare say he gives Americans on here a bad name.

Drama Queen.

And coming from me... well.

:}hello friend
22-10-10, 18:05
He hates the UK. Loves belittling and ridiculing us. I dare say he gives Americans on here a bad name.

What's horrible about hating the UK? I don't see how that gives other Americans and I a bad name, most of us aren't trolling the forums hating on Britain.

P.S. Chi is awesome.

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 18:11
He hates the UK. Loves belittling and ridiculing us. I dare say he gives Americans on here a bad name.Thats a mad statement as usual, Mad Tony, you just love as you brits say 'stirring it up' :mis:

I love your country, I have relatives there. I even speakada your language.. most of the time :p

I am only showing up some of your strange laws that seem to help criminals rather than law abiding people.

We have some crazy laws as well in the USA.

Anyway getting away from your usual personnal insult attacks , lets get back to the subject.

That bit about Scotland....

How does your part of the UK get round this problem, do you send the police in and throw them out ?

Lara's Nemesis
22-10-10, 18:19
From the ever reliable wikipedia.:p

Scotland

Squatting is a criminal offence in Scotland, punishable by a fine or even imprisonment. The owner or lawful occupier of the property has the right to evict squatters without notice or applying to the court for an eviction order, although when evicting, they cannot do anything that would break the law, for example, use violence.

Not exactly ideal. Seems really stupid that you can't just call the police and have them removed instantly. I'm sure it can't be too easy for some people to evict squatters themselves.:( I wonder how long it takes to apply to a court as well.

tampi
22-10-10, 18:21

No, no, here is illegal too , and probably everywhere.

This reminds "the chair game". (Here we say: "Whoever went to Sevilla lost his seat" ->"Quien se fue a Sevilla perdió su silla")

_2MXk1Mi0D4&:p

But what is done with the right that says: "Everyone has the right to a decent home?:confused:

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 18:27
What would happen if they sold your furniture, TV and all your favorite posessions in the meantime :eek:

Or damaged or set fire to the property :yik:

I am sure if it is your own property you can smash your own door down and move back in with a load of your 'heavy' buddies, and just squat over the squatters :D

This must lead to some very violent situations.

In England and Wales .... Are they going to change the law so the police can move in quickly ?

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 18:29
What's horrible about hating the UK?Wait, what?

I don't see how that gives other Americans and I a bad name, most of us aren't trolling the forums hating on Britain.Just to clarify I don't think any less of Americans on here just because of this one person.

I am only showing up some of your strange laws that seem to help criminals rather than law abiding people.That's fair enough but you could've provided a source and you also exaggerated.

I love your countryYou have yet to convince me anything but the opposite.

No, no, here is illegal too , and probably everywhere.Unfortunately I don't think squatting is illegal in most place. It could be illegal in Spain though, I don't know.

Lara's Nemesis
22-10-10, 18:33
What would happen if they sold your furniture, TV and all your favorite posessions in the meantime :eek:

Or damaged or set fire to the property :yik:

I am sure if it is your own property you can smash your own door down and move back in with a load of your 'heavy' buddies, and just squat over the squatters :D

This must lead to some very violent situations.

In England and Wales .... Are they going to change the law so the police can move in quickly ?

You are not allowed to use violence, maybe if you say please they will leave peacefully. :o

I'm sure a lot of people would feel a bit intimidated or be unable to deal with a situation like this themselves anyway.

tampi
22-10-10, 18:34
Unfortunately I don't think squatting is illegal in most place. It could be illegal in Spain though, I don't know.

Well, the squatter takes possession of property of others. There is a right of ownership.

But this right "collides" with the right to "adequate housing" to these "homeless", I think.

Evan C.
Here it's illegal,some houses that are inhabited are occupied by families very poors and with many childrens,and it's kind of sad seeing how they are taken off from them to live again on streets when that house probably won't be habited.

But it's illegal anyway.

The Great Chi
It must be so hard for you to google it Mad Tony :D

Here you are....

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/squatters-move-into-nris-1-1-million-home-61373

As for exagerating thats nonsense, but I would expect your personnel insults to continue, because thats all you are good at.

So lets get back on track and discuss the subject, Mr Mad Tony, and less of the insults, Thank you.

Another Lara
22-10-10, 18:38
This law has never made sense to me... but then again here in England a criminal has more rights than every other law abiding citizen!

One example of how stupid the squatters rights is was an article I read a while ago that made me sick!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316756/Mother-spent-50k-squatter-evicted.html

Punaxe
22-10-10, 18:42
There are similar laws in a lot of countries (possibly even the US…). For example, I recently read a report about how widespread this is in the Netherlands. In the case you describe, though, it seems that those squatter’s rights do not apply, since the owner wasn’t away for a very long time.

Law has just been passed to make it fully illegal. Personally I think that that's actually taking it too far: I'd rather have seen it simply made easier to evict them if the property owner requested it, but perhaps the practical application of the law boils down to the same thing. My birth city for example, and probably most others as well, isn't suddenly hunting them all down, but at least they now have the law on their side should it become necessary.

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 18:42
It must be so hard for you to google it Mad Tony :D

Here you are....

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/squatters-move-into-nris-1-1-million-home-61373If you'd read my first post I already said I've heard of this. However, I wondered where you got it from because we all know how different media outlets like to exaggerate.

less of the insults, Thank you.How ironic.

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 18:47
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-evicted.html

Why did the neighbourhood not get together and surround the house till the squatters left with a bit of intimidation, if you get my drift :mis:

We would do that in our part of the states, and the local police department would just look the other way, till justice was rightly served :p

jackles
22-10-10, 18:49
Lets ALL keep in mind that while anyone is entitled to their opinions resorting to digs at each other makes any debate less than articulate.

jaywalker
22-10-10, 18:49
Keep it on topic everyone no need to continue the little side comments :)

Squatters are criminals to me pure and simple. Grr at them. Hope Dave is listening in his protected home in downing street.

Edit - spooky jackles hehe. jinx.

Another Lara
22-10-10, 18:50
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-evicted.html

Why did the neighbourhood not get together and surround the house till the squatters left with a bit of intimidation, if you get my drift :mis:

Or burn the house down and claim it on the insurance! You could blame it on the squatters for obviously being careless...

Not that I would do that of course if I was in that situation!:pi:

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 18:52
Who's actually responsible for all this red tape with regards to the eviction of squatters? Labour I assume?

ggctuk
22-10-10, 18:55
I think Labour did introduce some of these laws but they've introduced about 1,000 laws.

All the publicised squatter cases are where they squatters broke into a property. Bear in mind I did say publicised.

If we go on holiday and return to find squatters in our home, we don't care. We'll knock the door in and throw them out ourselves.

Mr.Burns
22-10-10, 18:55
Who's actually responsible for all this red tape with regards to the eviction of squatters? Labour I assume?

Probably. We don't have anything like this in the US...yet. Of course we also have...wait for it...*waits for the liberals to flip out*...guns...:eek:

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 18:56
Lets ALL keep in mind that while anyone is entitled to their opinions resorting to digs at each other makes any debate less than articulate.Thankyou, I was wondering when a moderator would step in, as a certain person on this website tends to use the personnal insult method to 'stir things up'

Chat is supposed to be about a subject, not dig at each other.

lara c. fan
22-10-10, 18:57
Thankyou, I was wondering when a moderator would step in, as a certain person on this website tends to use the personnal insult method to 'stir things up'

As far as I can see, he's not personally insulting you. He's just saying the impression he gets from you.

Mr.Burns
22-10-10, 18:57
Thankyou, I was wondering when a moderator would step in, as a certain person on this website tends to use the personnal insult method to 'stir things up'

Yeeeaaa....but continuing to talk about it, that's not helping the situation either. You're better off ignoring the person rather than slipping in a last word. Best to just leave it be.

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 18:58

Keep it on topic everyone no need to continue the little side comments :)

Probably. We don't have anything like this in the US...yet. Of course we also have...wait for it...*waits for the liberals to flip out*...guns...:eek:I assume the guns deter people from taking over homes?

Dennis's Mom
22-10-10, 18:58
There are laws for adverse possession, but the ones for Texas I looked at referred to years of possession and always under the supposition you believed the property to be yours and treated it as such.

Guns won't make any difference if you're not at home.

I must say, I'm shocked at the chutzpah of the squatters. Did you look at the pictures?

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 18:59
What's a chutzpah? :p

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 19:00
Sorry, I said I knew your language earlier..... but can you give me the meaning of chutzpah, thanks :D

EDIT ... Oh, Mad Tony and I agree on something.

Mr.Burns
22-10-10, 19:00
I assume the guns deter people from taking over homes?

The only time you really see squatters over here are in abandoned homes. Occupied homes, not likely. Besides, with no laws protecting squatters, anyone caught inside a person's home without their consent can be removed.

What's a chutzpah? :p

Sorry, I said I knew your language earlier..... but can you give me the meaning of chutzpah, thanks :D

It's yiddish. :p It means you have guts, balls, a big set, etc.

Cochrane
22-10-10, 19:02
Oh come on. There was evil in the world before the Labour party, you know. :D

Squatters rights like this have existed under common law for quite a long time. They have been tightened more and more over the twentieth century - Labour actually passed a law that made it significantly harder for a squatter to become the legal resident of a property.

Law has just been passed to make it fully illegal. Personally I think that that's actually taking it too far: I'd rather have seen it simply made easier to evict them if the property owner requested it, but perhaps the practical application of the law boils down to the same thing. My birth city for example, and probably most others as well, isn't suddenly hunting them all down, but at least they now have the law on their side should it become necessary.
Ah, thank you for the explanation! I guess most squatters don’t hurt anybody, but some certainly do, and giving the police the tools to end squatting in such a situation seems reasonable.

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 19:04
Is the Law going to change, to sort out this problem in England and Wales ?

jackles
22-10-10, 19:09
What would help things is more affordable housing...people can't afford to get on the housing market, council houses are not being built, private landlords charge the earth. Also forcing owners of empty buildings to either rent them out or sell as opposed to keeping them vacant and liable to misuse would also help ease the housing situation.

ggctuk
22-10-10, 19:12
Oh come on. There was evil in the world before the Labour party, you know. :D

Squatters rights like this have existed under common law for quite a long time. They have been tightened more and more over the twentieth century - Labour actually passed a law that made it significantly harder for a squatter to become the legal resident of a property.

At the risk of being accused of being racist... the squatters I have seen in the media have all been foreign and the process to evict them takes months due to the squatters using human rights laws to keep the legitimate owners out etc etc. One family of squatters were removed only to break into a house further down the same street. The owner is still trying to get them out.

Uzi master
22-10-10, 19:22
Woulden't entereing a locked home be called breaking an entering?

at any rate I doubt say, breaking down your own door is iligal....

seriously these people, "yeah we broke into your home, but we promise not to damage any of your things, okay bye!" and after 12 years they own the house? and the actual owner is having to pay their expenses like heating and so on? I seriously doubt these people aren't messing with stuff in there either, I can bet that at the very least the kitchen is going to be empty when they finnaly leave.

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 19:22
I would tell you my worry if I lived in the UK regarding this problem and that is HOLIDAY HOUSES (Vacational homes).

I have my own home and my relatives and I co-own a holiday house in a resort in another part of the states. It is unoccupied for weeks at a time.

Now, how does that go in the UK ?

Are your holiday homes secure from this problem of squatters, as they will be unoccupied a lot and relatively unprotected.

Spong
22-10-10, 19:30
Are your holiday homes secure from this problem of squatters, as they will be unoccupied a lot and relatively unprotected.

If you secure the property well, any squatters will have to force entry in order to get in. In which case it immediately becomes a criminal offence and the police will act straight away and remove the squatters. If you don't secure a property properly and people get in, say, with a key, then here in the UK, you're looking at months of legal red tape to get rid of them.

ggctuk
22-10-10, 19:33
If you secure the property well, any squatters will have to force entry in order to get in. In which case it immediately becomes a criminal offence and the police will act straight away and remove the squatters. If you don't secure a property properly and people get in, say, with a key, then here in the UK, you're looking at months of legal red tape to get rid of them.

Why do I see a lot of the time, the Police send people whose homes have been broken into and squatted in away because they claim it's a civil matter?

The Great Chi
22-10-10, 19:43
This brings me bact to the question I asked earlier.... will they change the law on squatting to a criminal offence ?

ggctuk
22-10-10, 19:44
This brings me bact to the question I asked earlier.... will they change the law on squatting to a criminal offence ?

I hope so, I really do.

moodydog
22-10-10, 19:44
this is just complete madness... They should be forced out without warning. It should be as easy as...
going up to your housing agency, proving ownership... contacting police and get the squatters forced out without any warning (sort of like a police raid)

If I was ever unlucky enough to get my house taken over by squatters, but rich enough to afford a new house, then I would insist that the house doesn't belong to me, get the squatters to agree... pre load the house with heroine or some other harmful substances (like just for these situations,) and call the police and get a warrant for a raid.! then watch them rot in prison! :mis:

Mad Tony
22-10-10, 20:12
While the law can be ridiculous Chi squatting isn't all that common here. It happens, but if you had a holiday home over here the odds getting it taken over by dirty squatters would be pretty slim.

Dennis's Mom
22-10-10, 20:13
Oh my! That's quite a vindictive streak, moodydog, and so at odds with your cookie monster avatar. :vlol:

However, I agree. We should stock our homes will illegal substances on the off chance someone squats while we're away. :D

moodydog
23-10-10, 01:27
Oh my! That's quite a vindictive streak, moodydog, and so at odds with your cookie monster avatar. :vlol:

However, I agree. We should stock our homes will illegal substances on the off chance someone squats while we're away. :D

i know... the avatar contradicts my personality :D

Solice
23-10-10, 03:31
Squatters rights? Has the world gone mad?

Mikky
23-10-10, 11:44
I really don't think the police (or the Goverment or whatever) would actually allow some random Italians to stay there. Britain doesn't work like that.

The Great Chi
23-10-10, 16:05
I really don't think the police (or the Goverment or whatever) would actually allow some random Italians to stay there. Britain doesn't work like that.Well according to the English & Welsh law, the police cannot interfere, unless there is some wrong doing.

And the Scottish law (which according to a member on site) is not that much better at protecting owners of an empty house from being illegally occupied

I think it is time their Parliment sorted it all out, and gave the police proper powers on this subject.

Ward Dragon
23-10-10, 16:58
Well according to the English & Welsh law, the police cannot interfere, unless there is some wrong doing.

Since when is breaking and entering not considered wrong-doing? XD

Why don't the real homeowners just say they had a pet inside and it's being mistreated or neglected by the squatters? I'm sure that would get a response :pi:

The Great Chi
23-10-10, 18:02
I would agree that breaking and entering is a wrong doing, but squatters only have to say they walked in through an unlocked door or open window, and squat in an unocupied house that has been empty for some time.

So it is a civil action, and that takes time and money.

trXD
23-10-10, 20:16

This

Cochrane
23-10-10, 20:32

There are actually several cases where other rights are considered more important than someone’s right to private property. The most obvious case is eminent domain, when the state can take away someone’s property (usually land) for the greater good, such as building a new road. Another example in Germany: There is a railway line that was closed for a long time, but has recently reopened. The towns along the line wanted to keep it closed, though, because it was in the way of some new roads that were planned, and bridges instead of paving over the tracks would have cost more. So they bought the railway line and then tried to stop the operator RSE (which had leased it from the previous owner DB; the lease was cancelled by the towns) from running trains there. But several courts have ruled over and over again that running a railroad is more important than property rights, so RSE can continue to run trains and maintain to the track, even though the owners of the track have no contract with RSE and are strictly opposed to anything RSE does there.

In the case of squatting, like here, though, I agree that it is a little mad that this is not a criminal offense, at least in such clear-cut cases.

Forwen
24-10-10, 00:59
Somebody who was living in the place immediately before you moved in is a Displaced Residential Occupier (DRO) and they can get the police to evict you, without needing any paperwork.

http://www.squatter.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=25

Is this not the case here?

Anyway, this is outrageous.

Alpharaider47
24-10-10, 01:12

That's about as funny as "illegal immigrants rights" here in the US :vlol:

tampi
24-10-10, 01:47
not to mention the multitude of free houes

SpArKy
24-10-10, 08:09
Our Justice system is at times insane, however you will find if you study law that in the UK there is 'A law to counter every law'......so like a previous member explained, the squatters must have broken a window or door to get access - therefore this is 'Breaking and Entering' before the Squatters Rights law......therefore house back see ya later bunch of immigrant Italian students :D.....

I am proud of the UK Judicial system it is one of the best in the world.

scoopy_loopy
24-10-10, 08:33
Oh my god, how scary! *mental note, always lock the doors!*

Simochka
24-10-10, 08:38
I don't think that have ever happened in Sweden. I never heard about it before... ever.. Until now :o

I'm pretty sure it's illegal in Sweden and the police would come right away to kick them out from your house.

When you buy a house/ apartment you have to sign like 548673475 papers. Isn't it quite obvious who owns the house? Such a stupid law.

The Great Chi
24-10-10, 11:24
....I am proud of the UK Judicial system it is one of the best in the world.If you can afford it, considering some of the costs mentioned in the stories above :eek:

moodydog
24-10-10, 12:18
what happens if the real owner has another 'secret' entrance to the house which the squatters do not know about. Could the owners just walk in via that entrance and evict the squatters that way?

tampi
24-10-10, 13:03
Finally I can write a bit more comfortable because some recent posts I have written with my mobile phone, I'm still not very familiar with it. Also just yesterday I activated the key to the spell checker was in English:o. It's hard to write in English with Spanish words autocompletion:p

Our Justice system is at times insane, however you will find if you study law that in the UK there is 'A law to counter every law'......so like a previous member explained, the squatters must have broken a window or door to get access - therefore this is 'Breaking and Entering' before the Squatters Rights law......therefore house back see ya later bunch of immigrant Italian students :D.....

I am proud of the UK Judicial system it is one of the best in the world.

The problem is that they come into your home and immediately changed the lock on the door. When you arrive at your home the key does not work. The squatters are inside your home and never leave it. If you want to enter you have to destroy the door and face them. If you call the police, the issue is postponed bureaucratically. to ascertain the truth.

They usually claim a right to housing, but you in the meantime, you have to go live with your "Ms. Paquita" aunt :o

Anyway I can see that the problem extends throughout Europe. For many years we have this problem and the authorities shamelessly, in some cases, have supported the actions of the squatters. This is a shame!!!:mad:
Politics and the votes.:pi:

disapearing-boy
24-10-10, 21:28
It might be quicker to just get a shotgun and do it yourself? I don't support violence but criminals have too many rights!

Uzi master
25-10-10, 01:44
It might be quicker to just get a shotgun and do it yourself? I don't support violence but criminals have too many rights!

screw the shotgun! just get a medievel battering ram:whi:

SpArKy
25-10-10, 18:14
Finally I can write a bit more comfortable because some recent posts I have written with my mobile phone, I'm still not very familiar with it. Also just yesterday I activated the key to the spell checker was in English:o. It's hard to write in English with Spanish words autocompletion:p

The problem is that they come into your home and immediately changed the lock on the door. When you arrive at your home the key does not work. The squatters are inside your home and never leave it. If you want to enter you have to destroy the door and face them. If you call the police, the issue is postponed bureaucratically. to ascertain the truth.

They usually claim a right to housing, but you in the meantime, you have to go live with your "Ms. Paquita" aunt :o

Anyway I can see that the problem extends throughout Europe. For many years we have this problem and the authorities shamelessly, in some cases, have supported the actions of the squatters. This is a shame!!!:mad:
Politics and the votes.:pi:

As long as you have the deeds and Mortgage evidence - smash the door in and chuck them out. These squatters often bluff, I would most defiantly have all my neighbours round to force them out. Bunch of no hopers need to get jobs. I am confident any judge would look at the case and throw it out.

SpArKy
25-10-10, 18:15
If you can afford it, considering some of the costs mentioned in the stories above :eek:

Every citizen who can't afford it has free legal aid in the UK. It is part of the Magna Carta which is basically the origin of fairness.

In some instances it drives me mad.........

tampi
25-10-10, 18:37
As long as you have the deeds and Mortgage evidence - smash the door in and chuck them out. These squatters often bluff, I would most defiantly have all my neighbours round to force them out. Bunch of no hopers need to get jobs. I am confident any judge would look at the case and throw it out.

My mortage?
You should look at this video (http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20100929/barricadas-sindicalistas-calles-barcelona-donde-han-quemado-coche-guardia-urbana/357618.shtml) :o