PDA

View Full Version : She said "I do" to herself

Lara Croft!
24-10-10, 15:34
Chen Wei-yih has finally planned the wedding day she's been dreaming about since she was a young girl. On Nov. 6, the Taiwanese office worker will reportedly don a floor-length white gown and flowing veil, carry a fragrant bouquet and enjoy a gourmet meal with 30 of her closest friends and family members.

Only there's one major difference: for the 30-year-old Taipei resident, there will be no Prince Charming, no tuxedoed groom. In an effort to defy the traditional Asian perception of single, independent women as failures, Chen says she will marry herself.

"Age 30 is a prime period for me," Chen is quoted by Reuters as saying. "My work and experience are in good shape, but I haven't found a partner, so what can I do?"

Chen's defiant act has received heaps of praise -- mostly from Asian women -- on her Facebook page, which features a personal quote that reads, "We must love ourselves before we love others," along with an album of formal bridal portraits. "You didn't just marry yourself, you showed the world that this is [a] time for women," wrote one user. "They can do everything and no one can judge or control them."

After her lavish "nuptials," Chen plans to embark on a solo honeymoon to Australia, The Korea Herald reports.

Source and pictures here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/22/taiwan-bridetobe-plans-we_n_772431.html)

What is your opinion to something so strange? To me it seems a bit stupid. It's great that she is independent and hasn't settled with a guy she doesn't want, but having an actual wedding?
Apart from the useless spending, to me a wedding is not just a fancy party where you get dressed up elegantly. It's the celebration of the promise of a union between 2 people. Two as in, one plus one. She could wear a wedding dress and travel on her own, but a one-person wedding is something that cannot exist by definition.

scion05
24-10-10, 15:37
It's just... strange.

Liara
24-10-10, 15:37
If she has the money and it makes her happy, then why not? Everyone's free to do whatever they see fit. It's not hurting anyone and by the pictures of her smiling it looks like she's having a good time.

Catapharact
24-10-10, 15:40
Well there is a fine line between being independent/confident and being a narcissist... I think Mrs. Chen just crossed it Lol! I wonder though as to how much of this was just an antic to get her parents off her back from pushing her into a wedding proposal.

Miharu
24-10-10, 15:42
If she has the money and it makes her happy, then why not? Everyone's free to do whatever they see fit. It's not hurting anyone and by the pictures of her smiling it looks like she's having a good time.

This.

But yeah it is abit, strange...

TheRCroft
24-10-10, 15:42
That is.. incommon, but if that's the way she is happy, then good luck for her :p

Minty Mouth
24-10-10, 15:43
Waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

She's obviously not completely happy being alone--at least, not enough to make a life long commitment to herself. Why else would she be going through this charade other than to experience the marriage she always wanted but never got?

Question: Can she get a divorce if she meets someone else? :p

Evan C.
24-10-10, 15:45
Spending money to marry with no one?
WTF,isn't enough with masturbation?

Cochrane
24-10-10, 15:51
Well, thereís two ways to see this. Either she is a narcissistic idiot. Or she is making the point that one can be successful without being married, something thatís still not universally accepted especially in asian cultures, and she makes that point in a slightly weird way.

In the first case, it is clearly a waste of time and money. In the second, Iím not so sure.

larafan25
24-10-10, 15:57
Cool.

She is treating herself to a wedding for herself.

LNSNHGTDS
24-10-10, 15:57
When I read the title I thought this thread was about a mental case :p .

WEll,it is...strange.She can do whatever she wants yes but why spend so much money?

larafan25
24-10-10, 15:58
When I read the title I thought this thread was about a mental case :p .

WEll,it is...strange.She can do whatever she wants yes but why spend so much money?

It probably would have been spent on herself anyways.

Rai
24-10-10, 16:02
Lets face it, it's clear she just wanted the big celebration and the dress and saying its to define her independence as a single women is an excuse :vlol:. If this is how she wants to spend her money then all good, imo.

Marriage is a lot more than a big 'do' though. Hopefully, she'll get the chance to experience the real deal soon enough.

Chocola teapot
24-10-10, 16:04
I'ma do that.

<3

Lara Croft!
24-10-10, 16:17
Question: Can she get a divorce if she meets someone else? :p

lol :D

sandygrimm
24-10-10, 16:26
The all godly Narcissus looks down and nods :p

Minty Mouth
24-10-10, 16:27
I think this 'experience' was more likely born out of low self esteem than overly high.

Squibbly
24-10-10, 16:31
I understand why she's doing it. In that culture, women don't amount to anything unless they marry. She's proving a point: women can be happily and successfully independent without being failures.
I imagine this wedding is going to generate a lot of attention, which will bring light to the point she is trying to make.

Do I find it strange? Of course. I see why she wants to do this, though.

Ward Dragon
24-10-10, 16:48
I understand why she's doing it. In that culture, women don't amount to anything unless they marry. She's proving a point: women can be happily and successfully independent without being failures.
I imagine this wedding is going to generate a lot of attention, which will bring light to the point she is trying to make.

Exactly. I see this as an interesting way to demonstrate the point that women don't need to marry someone in order to have value themselves, which is a point that needs to be made especially in her culture. The article seems to imply that her actions resonated with a lot of women in the country and has inspired them to be more independent, so if it actually works then good for her :)

Also, a few people asked about divorce. At the end of the article it said that she isn't technically married so she doesn't need to get a divorce if she wants to get married to someone else in the future.

Edit: Wait, this isn't the article I thought it was :p Someone showed me a different article about this yesterday and that's the one that said she doesn't need to get a divorce. I can't remember the link though.

voltz
24-10-10, 16:59
Am I the only one who's reminded of Dennis Rodman?

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/uploads/1/Dennis_Rodman.jpg

TRfan23
24-10-10, 17:01
So where is she gonna kiss herself when the whoever does the service and says "you may kiss yourself"?

Alpharaider47
24-10-10, 17:05
Well, thereís two ways to see this. Either she is a narcissistic idiot. Or she is making the point that one can be successful without being married, something thatís still not universally accepted especially in asian cultures, and she makes that point in a slightly weird way.

In the first case, it is clearly a waste of time and money. In the second, Iím not so sure.

Maybe it's a combination of both? :p

:tmb: Totally agree with ya
And at the end of the day, it's her choice and if this makes her happy, more power to her!

Sir Croft
24-10-10, 17:05
I bet it won't last long.

Lara Croft!
24-10-10, 17:53
^lol

Am I the only one who's reminded of Dennis Rodman?

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/uploads/1/Dennis_Rodman.jpg

What did he do?

Encore
24-10-10, 17:55
To me it seems a bit stupid. It's great that she is independent and hasn't settled with a guy she doesn't want, but having an actual wedding?
Apart from the useless spending, to me a wedding is not just a fancy party where you get dressed up elegantly. It's the celebration of the promise of a union between 2 people. Two as in, one plus one. She could wear a wedding dress and travel on her own, but a one-person wedding is something that cannot exist by definition.

She's making a statement on just how meaningless the concept of marriage is for a lot of people. Me included. So yeah, if she doesn't mind spending the money on making that statement, I agree with her.

Azerutan
24-10-10, 17:59
I actually applaud her :)
She seems more happy than many married couples out there, so why not?
It's not my business to judge her...

voltz
24-10-10, 18:00
What did he do?

He married himself. :whi:

tampi
24-10-10, 19:35
Soon we will see someone who is married with a pencil.

-"Ooooh! I fell from the first moment", said the bride.

Evan C.
24-10-10, 19:38
Tampi,that would be very practical indeed.When you know it's about to end after so many use,you can marry with a box of pencil and have new romantic sensations xD

Alpharaider47
24-10-10, 19:41
Tampi,that would be very practical indeed.When you know it's about to end after so many use,you can marry with a box of pencil and have new romantic sensations xD

I'm sensing a pen in her future :o

tampi
24-10-10, 19:42
Yes, the question is not what you do but when you do.
If you are first, you have a small bonus.

trXD
24-10-10, 19:42

She has fingers doesn't she?

Catapharact
24-10-10, 19:44

And a mirror.

Poor gal. She is so going to be picked on for this for a looong time.

tampi
24-10-10, 19:47
:vlol:
Why a mirror?
I don't get it :D

voltz
24-10-10, 19:57
Don't forget the future stolen sex tape! :jmp:

Evan C.
24-10-10, 20:05
I wasn't going THAT DEEP trXD,seriously I wasnt :p

KIKO
24-10-10, 20:13
It's unusual but if it makes her happy :) It's her own business anyway.

TRenTIs
24-10-10, 22:31
So a woman can marry herself legally but two women can't marry each other legally?

Ward Dragon
24-10-10, 22:38
So a woman can marry herself legally but two women can't marry each other legally?

It wasn't a legally recognized marriage. She had the ceremony but didn't get a legal marriage certificate.

robm_2007
24-10-10, 22:39

those two women can marry themselves at least. ;) lol. yeah, it is stupid.
-----------
im waiting for her to divorce herself due to a sex-less marriage :pi:

Dennis's Mom
24-10-10, 23:00
It wasn't a legally recognized marriage. She had the ceremony but didn't get a legal marriage certificate.

I hope she didn't accept gifts. That would turn this into an instant classic grift.

It seems to me that it would be more of a statement to shun the idea of marriage altogether. I mean, apparently, she does still need to be married. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/33.gif

lord gaga
24-10-10, 23:11
wonder when they would get devorcied:p

Lizard of Oz
25-10-10, 01:39
That is awesome! :tmb: Should totally do this! :D

Tommy123
25-10-10, 03:20
lmao

oh wow

QiX
25-10-10, 03:34
Having a high self-esteem is something positive, but this is beyond ridiculous :vlol:

scoopy_loopy
25-10-10, 04:25
I read this on msn today, yesterday (the combination of those words in one sentence makes my brain hurt :pi:) - I thought it was awesome. :tmb:

domina
25-10-10, 07:15
I don't really know her full intent--there could be some underlying esteem/psychological/whatever issues here--but I like the idea of giving a big screw you to the notion that a woman is somehow a lesser being without a man. I think a lot ideals regarding marriage are antiquated, and I'm for shaking the system a bit.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
25-10-10, 10:14
I can't wait to see her Children! Oh wait...

cezy rockeru
25-10-10, 10:50
^:vlol:
weird:pi:

Lara Croft!
28-10-10, 16:29
I can't wait to see her Children! Oh wait...

:D

larson n natla
28-10-10, 16:51
Admirable she is showing the world its ok to be single and powerful.

Plus she is supplying her local area with money, I don't see the downside. She is happy, looks wonderful and boosted the local economy. Win,win.