PDA

View Full Version : The evolution of the geek

Lara Croft!
24-10-10, 18:47
http://www.flowtown.com/blog/the-evolution-of-the-geek?display=wide

A very interesting read, it talks about the origins if the word "geek" and illustrates how its meaning has changed over the years.

I'm sure that all of you fit in at least one of the categories.

I myself can be labeled (and have been called that by friends) as a

TR geek>Lara Croft geek
Star Wars & LOTR geek
Movie geek

What about you?

voltz
24-10-10, 18:54
Geek used to be in line with other names like Dork, Nerd, Dweeb, etc. It surprises me that people are trying to turn it into something that isn't so derogatory.

Necromanser
24-10-10, 18:55
^^^

Now it basically means someone who is into something( couldn't really find better words for it). Hell you can even be a Wine and Cheese geek if you're into that **** :p

BoyTRaider
24-10-10, 19:08
There is way too much on that list that I'm a part of, but just to name a few...

- Academic Geek, back when I was in High School.
- Food Geek
- Videogame Geek

Alpharaider47
24-10-10, 19:10
That was a pretty interesting read :p Kinda neat to see how words change meanings over time.

Liara
24-10-10, 19:12
"Geekus Prime"? Lol. I always thought the computer techies were referred to as computer nerds, not geeks. And that nerds are those who love to study a lot and are good in various fields, while geeks are those who are obsessed with a hobby.

voltz
24-10-10, 19:16
Chris Pirillo is a self proclaimed "GEEK" and his field of interest is mostly in computers, so I guess you could say "computer geek" is a term that qualities.

Evan C.
24-10-10, 19:35
IMO,"geek" is a word to designate a person mostly related to something that can be considered stupid,foolish or strange.It's despective,of course,but seems to be the gold era for geeks,they seem to be very popular around the internet,specially forums :p

moodydog
24-10-10, 22:12
Geek's are so ranged now...

ever heard of the term... 'Geek's are Cool?' Definitely applies to todays society

Geek's FTW ! :ton:

Archetype
24-10-10, 22:14
As a gamer i'm considered a geek apparently (mel :p)

cezy rockeru
25-10-10, 11:09
Rock music geek
TR & Lara Croft geek

Croft_Original
25-10-10, 11:40
As well as being a TR geek I fit into several categories: Star Trek; Star Wars; film, and book geek though fortunately not the biting the head off a live chicken one.:p

Croft.

scoopy_loopy
25-10-10, 11:44
Aw, that was adorable! :D

Keir_Eidos
25-10-10, 13:21
Everyone is a geek about something! Even people that make fun of geeks are geeky about something.

I'm a music technology geek, a games geek, an internet geek and a bit of a gadget geek. Man, that's a lot of geekiness http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/b/bucktooth.gif

Avalon SARL
25-10-10, 18:00
I'm not a music geek as much as a Phil Collins geek :vlol:

2- landscaping/ agriculturegeek

3=- lara croft geek

Encore
25-10-10, 18:12
IMO,"geek" is a word to designate a person mostly related to something that can be considered stupid,foolish or strange.It's despective,of course,but seems to be the gold era for geeks,they seem to be very popular around the internet,specially forums :p

Care to explain?

If you ignore the very distant origin of the word, in modern times geek was mostly used to describe someone who spends a lot of time around computers and technologies, and I find nothing stupid, foolish or strange in those things. In any case, that's what the article says as well.

moodydog
26-10-10, 11:01
I am a music geek
A gaming geek
and a technology/ computer geek.

I am 3 geeks in one :D

Rai
26-10-10, 16:35
I don't think I'm a geek for anything. I suppose I was a Harry Potter geek, but I'm really not obsessive over anything now.

Antonio
26-10-10, 17:17
I am a music geek
A gaming geek
and a technology/ computer geek.

I am 3 geeks in one :D

Same here, so that make us brothers.:p High five, man!:D
Only I will put gaming in first place, than music in second pace.:o

Oh and internet geek as well!;)