PDA

View Full Version : Oh what a good day to be Canadian.

Catapharact
26-10-10, 16:22
Two important events happened yesterday.

a) The city of Toronto has a new Mayor.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/24/toronto-election-vote495.html

Rob Ford is an excellent choice. Hopefully he can reverse all the damage done the NDP and Liberal goofoffs before him but I am not holding my breath considering that Dalton Mcguinty is sill the premire of Ontario. However, I have faith in Rob Ford. Its about time we had a conservative at the helm seat of the city council once again.

b) The city of Calgary just elected its first Muslim Mayor :D. If it can happen in Calgary, it can happen anywhere in Canada!

Hmmm... Mayor Catapharact... Has a nice ring to it.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Muslim+mayor+sworn/3726218/story.html

Chocola teapot
26-10-10, 16:31
You still club Seals, :pi:

And you have Beiber.

Can't you club Beiber instead? :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
26-10-10, 16:35
Reach for the stars, Cat! I know you can do it someday. :D

Catapharact
26-10-10, 16:40
You still club Seals. :pi:

All the more reason for me to support Canada ;). Now how did that joke go? ... Two seals went into a club... No that's not it! Ah I know! Two seals went clubbing! No still not it...

And you have Beiber.

Don't remind me :pi:.

EDIT:

Oh you better believe it ;).

Cochrane
26-10-10, 16:43
Iíd like to know more about Rob Fordís plan to phase out street cars in favor of buses. Does he mean in general, or on specific lines? From what I can see on Wikipedia, itís clear that the street cars currently in use need replacing one way or the other in the near future, but buses on all lines seems like a stupid idea to me.

Encore
26-10-10, 16:44
All the more reason for me to support Canada ;).

Support it? I thought you lived there.

Legend of Lara
26-10-10, 16:44

The world better be getting ready. :whi:

Catapharact
26-10-10, 16:47
I’d like to know more about Rob Ford’s plan to phase out street cars in favor of buses. Does he mean in general, or on specific lines? From what I can see on Wikipedia, it’s clear that the street cars currently in use need replacing one way or the other in the near future, but buses on all lines seems like a stupid idea to me.

Well we have a general TTC overhaul plan in place for major steet car lines. Have you heard of the LRT (Light rail transit) system? The TTC will be replacing the major street car lines (specifically the Spadina, King and Union lines) with LRTs. The others will be phased out with buses :). The other candidates wanted to expand LRT services toand replace ALL street cars with them but right now, Toronto just can't afford such an overhaul.

Support it? I thought you lived there.

I do. What I ment to say was "All the more reason to back Canada on this." Sorry if I misphrased the statement.

Cochrane
26-10-10, 16:52
Well we have a general TTC overhaul plan in place for major steet car lines. Have you heard of the LRT (Light rail transit) system? The TTC will be replacing the major street car lines (specifically the Spadina, King and Union lines) with LRTs. The others will be phased out with buses :). The other candidates wanted to expand LRT services toand replace ALL street cars with them but right now, Toronto just can't afford such an overhaul.
Ah, I see. In that case his politics seem very sensible. As you may have noticed, I am generally in favor of anything that rolls on rails, but if a line has so little traffic that a single 15 m streetcar can handle it, then converting to buses is definitely a much cheaper option with not much of a downside.

Avalon SARL
26-10-10, 16:53
That's nice news :)
and if you think you are a good choice for such a thing,then there is no obstacle to stand in your way :D

Catapharact
26-10-10, 16:56
Ah, I see. In that case his politics seem very sensible. As you may have noticed, I am generally in favor of anything that rolls on rails, but if a line has so little traffic that a single 15 m streetcar can handle it, then converting to buses is definitely a much cheaper option with not much of a downside.

Indeed it is. I would have favored a complete overhaul plan if Toronto's Budget plan allowed for it. Unfortunately we can't afford it right now.

Legend 4ever
26-10-10, 17:11
My cousin lives in Calgary.

Alive_and_Funky
26-10-10, 17:13
b) The city of Calgary just elected its first Muslim Mayor :D. If it can happen in Calgary, it can happen anywhere in Canada!

Hmmm... Mayor Catapharact... Has a nice ring to it.
You're religious?! :yik:

Mayor Catapharact, eh? Cool... :cool:

Alpharaider47
26-10-10, 17:22
That's pretty cool, sounds like you guys are taking steps in a good direction :D

Catapharact
26-10-10, 17:37
My cousin lives in Calgary.

Oh wonderful. I didn't know you have family members living in Canada :).

You're religious?! :yik:

Mayor Catapharact, eh? Cool... :cool:

Yeppers! Though I would consider myself more of a Spiritualist :). Where as I predominantly follow the teachings of Islam, I do accept, believe in and follow upon the teachings of other two Ibrahamic faiths as well.

That's pretty cool, sounds like you guys are taking steps in a good direction :D

Just goes to show that things like religion, sexual orientation, gender and the like aren't a factor for most Canadians :D. Heck George Smitherman (one of the Candidates who ran for Mayor) has a life partner and has adopted a child :).

tampi
26-10-10, 17:47
Wth! It's true! What are you doing in Canada????

You as mayor?

I would have to leave the country ..:p

Congratulations to the Canadians, if was necessary.

Catapharact
26-10-10, 17:52
Wth! It's true! What are you doing in Canada????

Being a Canadian citizen Tampi ;).

You as mayor?

I would have to leave the country ..:p

Oh you say that now but you might change your mind if you looked at my proposals and plans for the city ;).

tampi
26-10-10, 17:57
Being a Canadian citizen Tampi ;).
:eek::tmb::cool: for you

Oh you say that now but you might change your mind if you looked at my proposals and plans for the city ;).

Something like this?:p

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4272/005mlw.jpg (http://img229.imageshack.us/i/005mlw.jpg/)

I wonder what have you in mind :whi:

Alpharaider47
26-10-10, 18:09
Just goes to show that things like religion, sexual orientation, gender and the like aren't a factor for most Canadians :D. Heck George Smitherman (one of the Candidates who ran for Mayor) has a life partner and has adopted a child :).

That's pretty cool :D It'd be stupid if the person was obviously well equipped and the right person for the job, but was held back by something like that.

the ancient
26-10-10, 18:22

Can't you club Beiber instead? :p

marvelous idea!!

Joely-Moley
26-10-10, 18:25
I miss being in toronto, such an amazing city.

Hairhelmet12
26-10-10, 20:03
I wish I lived in Canadia, Everything seems so much simpler there.

Snow, Moose, and Igloos. <3

Catapharact
26-10-10, 20:32
I wish I lived in Canadia, Everything seems so much simpler there.

Snow, Moose, and Igloos. <3

Don't forget Ice Hockey and Tim Hortons ;).

xXhayleyroxXx
26-10-10, 20:40
You still club Seals, :pi:

Yep :/ Its disgusting. I mean, I'd love to go to Canada and I have relatives there but that really puts me off.

Hairhelmet12
26-10-10, 20:51
Don't forget Ice Hockey and Tim Hortons ;).

We have Tim Hortons too. :D

MattTR
26-10-10, 21:27
If I lived in Canada, you'd certainly have my vote. :tmb:

Catapharact
26-10-10, 22:30
Lol! Well its nice to know that people will vote for me if I ever ran for office :p. So thankyou for the support :D. But getting back to the topic at hand; Rob Ford will be sworn in as Mayor in December. He plans on passing a motion to remove the vehicle registration tax and the Property Transfer tax right away (I swear they are both useless taxes.)

Uzi master
26-10-10, 22:32
must you always act all high-and-mighty about conservatives? You act as if any other political party member is a lower life form.

Catapharact
26-10-10, 22:35
You act as if any other political party member is a lower life form.

Lower? No. Misguided? Definitely ;). They just need someone to guide them to the right path... Hopefully a conservative.

Uzi master
26-10-10, 22:38
Lower? No. Misguided? Definitely ;). They just need someone to guide them to the right path... Hopefully a conservative.

you still have not told me whats wrong about liberals other than were crazy, which you never provided reasoning for;)

you just sheilded yourself with drawn-out paragraphs that had nothing to do with liberals.

if you want to reply I'm only interested in a simple reply clearly stating what is wrong with liberal veiws and not go droning on and on.

Catapharact
26-10-10, 22:43
you still have not told me whats wrong about liberals other than were crazy, which you never provided reasoning for;)

you just sheilded yourself with drawn-out paragraphs that had nothing to do with liberals.

if you want to reply I'm only interested in a simple reply clearly stating what is wrong with liberal veiws and not go droning on and on.

Completely wrong... As usual ;).

I have always given you perfect reasons as to why the Liberals are full of it. You just chose to ignore all of it or never reply back. So from our previous encounters where I have ALWAYS countered your views with facts (where as you only send the usual "give me an example" and you provide none) I have learned that its fruitless to discuss things with you on a logical basis.

Like I said... Misguided ;). Now I await the usual "give me examples" statement from you.

Uzi master
26-10-10, 23:01
Completely wrong... As usual ;).

I have always given you perfect reasons as to why the Liberals are full of it. You just chose to ignore all of it or never reply back. So from our previous encounters where I have ALWAYS countered your views with facts (where as you only send the usual "give me an example" and you provide none) I have learned that its fruitless to discuss things with you on a logical basis.

Like I said... Misguided ;). Now I await the usual "give me examples" statement from you.

you bore me with your meaningless words, goodbye :wve:

Catapharact
26-10-10, 23:04
you bore me with your meaningless words, goodbye :wve:

Right back at ya kid ;).

Squibbly
26-10-10, 23:13
You still club Seals

Yep :/ Its disgusting. I mean, I'd love to go to Canada and I have relatives there but that really puts me off.

Yes, because every Canadian supports and partakes in the "event".

I've heard countless people go on about how Canadians are evil due to this. I've never even seen a seal in real life, save for at a zoo, and I do not support it. A long, long time ago, it was necessary for the people way up north to do the seal hunt (lack of resources made life hard, and the annual seal hunt brought in lots of food to live off of for the following year, as well as fur to make clothing from), but I agree that it doesn't need to happen anymore and should be stopped. It's no reason for Canada as a whole to get a bad rep, though. I'm sick of that.

Anyway, yay for the good news! I heard the new mayor is pretty awful, though. I'll have to read up on it. I haven't been paying much attention to that stuff lately.

Catapharact
26-10-10, 23:20
I've heard countless people go on about how Canadians are evil due to this. I've never even seen a seal in real life, save for at a zoo, and I do not support it. A long, long time ago, it was necessary for the people way up north to do the seal hunt (lack of resources made life hard, and the annual seal hunt brought in lots of food to live off of for the following year, as well as fur to make clothing from), but I agree that it doesn't need to happen anymore and should be stopped. It's no reason for Canada as a whole to get a bad rep, though. I'm sick of that.

I personally support the seal hunt since its actually necessary to maintain an allocated population quota as well as it allows the Inuits to live their lives accordingly. Buy LEGITIMATE hunts are monitored closely by the government and the seals are killed humanely. Putting restrictions on the hunt leads to poaching and these poachers don't care as to how the kill the seals.

But offcourse, PETA chooses to tape and present poachers are legitimate hunters to the world

Bongo Fury
27-10-10, 01:49
Very happy to see Rob Ford win the mayoral race here in T.O. I,m not naÔve enough to think that there will be earth shattering changes on the budgetary side of things, but Ford was the only one whom even paid it lip service. For me, the big issue was the absurd direction that transit has been going in recent years, and if he can deal with that Ė it'll be a job well done in my eyes.

Btw, seals are vermin. Viva la seal hunt!

Alpharaider47
27-10-10, 05:58

I think it's stupid when people allow the actions of a minority to affect their perception of an *entire* country. When i went to Vancouver I didn't see a single seal, nor did I see anybody clubbing them :L What I saw were a lot of friendly people, clean air, and some good food :p In fact, I can't wait to go back :D

I also agree with what Cat said in this respect- the way I look at it is that in my experience, indigenous groups seem to have the utmost respect for the land and the animals that they survive off of. I don't think it's right to try and force people like that to change their ways when they've been successfully living in harmony with their surroundings for so long. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that Canada's Inuits are something like that :p

Doby
27-10-10, 11:47
I've always wanted to go to Canada. Someday I'll go.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-10-10, 12:03

Of course they don't, but over here seal clubbing is a negative perception on Canada -- we don't know what its like there, and our media obviously exaggerates things. As I said before I have relatives there, so of course I didn't mean every Canadian. Just the fact it does go on puts me off slightly -- I would still go, and Canada is one of the countries I would most like to visit.
I guess its sort of like...Peruvians eating guinea pigs, the Japanese eating dolphins, the english eating cows when percieved by Indians.
*shrugs*

And you've never even seen a seal!? *spits out cup of tea in shock*

Shark_Blade
27-10-10, 12:04
Canada reminds me of Terrence and Philip.