PDA

View Full Version : Presentation Advice.

egypt_gypsie
27-10-10, 17:18
Sooo, I have a powerpoint due tomorrow, and my presentation has to be at least 15 minutes long.

I have like a severe anxiety problem when it comes to public speaking for some reason....

Is there any anti-nervous techniques that you know of?

the ancient
27-10-10, 17:20
Is it for school?

egypt_gypsie
27-10-10, 17:21
Yeah, it is on a photographer.

The class is Photographic Design.

aidanmalone
27-10-10, 17:24
Im the same, what helps me is if i never look at the people im talking to and just try and get through it as quickly as possible, don't know if this helps you but it does me :)

trXD
27-10-10, 17:24
Just imagine them in there underwear :)

the ancient
27-10-10, 17:26
So you know the people in the class? that would be a good thing :)

make sure you know your presentation well and you can awnser to question they could ask you afterwards.
look at the back of the class, it looks then that you are looking to them without making eyecontact.
speak loudly and slow enough (not to slow/fast ofcourse) and try to make them stay focussed on the PP (15 minutes is a lot realy).
oh and make sure your PP fits the subject your are talking about (don't let the pictures show to fast/slow)

good luck :)

Nerd For Life
27-10-10, 17:32
Im the same, what helps me is if i never look at the people im talking to and just try and get through it as quickly as possible, don't know if this helps you but it does me :)

Eye contact is very important while speaking to a crowd.

Legend of Lara
27-10-10, 17:35
Just imagine them in their underwear. :)

Fix'd yer grammarz.

\Tomb Raider/
27-10-10, 20:05
just be yourself , pretend that they are all your friends and make some jokes and dont worry if nobody laughs...your not there to impress them, just the teacher. have some pictures of the guys work and explain a thing or two about each pic that you chose, and why you chose it.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-10-10, 20:05
I have severe anxiety while giving presentations as well -- and unfortunatly on my course we get marked for confidence. It sucks :/

I had a presentation recently, and I ran through it all several times beforehand. Then when it came to it -- the memory stick took ages to load my file, the videos didnt work and then my teacher shouted at me for 'wasting her time waiting for it to load'.

I got merit though I think, which is good.

Liara
27-10-10, 20:11
When I had to give a presentation in high school I kept telling myself that no one in class cared about what I was talking about. Let's face it, teens don't pay attention, right? So if you mess up, stutter or whatever, it won't matter. Take a peek at a few of them and you'll notice they'll be playing on their phone or chatting to each other. So relax, and have fun. ^.^

My presentation lasted about 45 minutes (and me with my anxiety problems) but I could tell that after about 2-3 minutes no one besides the teacher cared. So there's no reason to feel self-conscious. You'll be fine, I'm sure. Good luck!

Dingaling
27-10-10, 20:20
The best thing for a presentation is to know what you're talking about. If you know what your presentation is about and you know your subject you're in a good place. Be confident in that and you'll feel better about your presentation as a whole.

As for the fifteen minute worry, don't stress too much about it. I had notes for a presentation which I thought would only last me two minutes or so and I ended up at 17 and a half minutes :D. Speak clearly and at a good pace - don't rush too much but don't be too slow. You'll find as you're talking you'll most likely add additional bits of information as you remember them and if they add to the topic. If you make a mistake or something goes out your mind, do not let that panic you, just take a deep breath and correct yourself or carry on :).

Alpharaider47
27-10-10, 20:23
Take some deep breaths before hand, that usually helps me out right at the start. Go over your material, but not to the point where you're going to really stress yourself out, making a couple note cards with bullet points might help you. It will give you something to do with your hands, and something else to glance at occasionally. You'll also have a reference then as well. When I give a presentation I generally try to connect to the audience nowadays, if you can view the audience as more like friends than complete strangers, etc it may help you ease into things.
That's what generally works for me, hope it helps you somehow :) And I wish you good luck!

Sgt BOMBULOUS
27-10-10, 20:26
When I had to give a presentation in high school I kept telling myself that no one in class cared about what I was talking about. Let's face it, teens don't pay attention, right? So if you mess up, stutter or whatever, it won't matter. Take a peek at a few of them and you'll notice they'll be playing on their phone or chatting to each other. So relax, and have fun. ^.^

My presentation lasted about 45 minutes (and me with my anxiety problems) but I could tell that after about 2-3 minutes no one besides the teacher cared. So there's no reason to feel self-conscious. You'll be fine, I'm sure. Good luck!

Is there anything else people under 25 ever do anymore outside the house?

lara c. fan
27-10-10, 20:26
Is there anything else people under 25 ever do anymore?

I go on the internet a fair bit.

:p

Dennis's Mom
27-10-10, 20:37
Nervousness is just you're body getting you ready for something important. Do no confuse it with fear. Use the energy, and remember, your audience wants you to do well. They're already on your side. Just tell them what you know. ;)

Melonie Tomb Raider
27-10-10, 20:55
I know you may hear this a lot, and it's easier said than done, but just be yourself! If you're talking about something you're passionate about, it should come easier to you.

Public speaking really is a lot of fun once yuo get the hang of it. No one is perfect at it, and nobody is expecting you to be perfect, but the best thing you can possibly do is be comfortable. :) Hope it goes well. :hug:

larafan25
27-10-10, 21:32
Kick their butts with your extreme amount of knowledge on the subject.

Just know what you are talking about, it's your mark that counts.:cool:

Joely-Moley
27-10-10, 21:49
I had to do this last week for class and I like you was really nervous.
It ended up going pretty well, I think.

What helped me, was I ended up talking to my lecturer before hand and he said they take that into account and that everyone will be a nervous to some extent.

Try to get the first line out, something like 'Good Morning, my name is ____, today I will be talking to you about _____' Once that's out it becomes easier.

Look around the room, you don't have to make eye contact if you don't feel comfortable with that. Also try not to speak to fast.

Good luck.