PDA

View Full Version : LimeWire.....is finally finished after a court order(May 29th 2000-October 27th 2010)

Johnnay
28-10-10, 01:13
http://blog.seattlepi.com/personal-finance/archives/226352.asp
http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2000902&spid=24698
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/LimeWire-P2P-RIAA-file-sharing-george-searle,news-8477.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/download-error-music-industry-pulls-the-plug-on-filesharing-site-2118499.html
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/10/27/goodbye-to-all-that-limewire-ordered-to-shut-down/

RIP Limewire... it was the most popular P2P Site at its glorious time... now its gone and im so surprised to find out its now dead. discuss:pi:

If you open Limewire you'll get this message

http://client-data.limewire.com/client_startup/home/assets/images/legal_notice/notice.png (http://www.limewire.com/injunction?guid=BF351F9039E7E6231E8586F1137B6A00&lv=5.3.6&jv=1.6.0_20&pro=false&lang=en&os=Windows+7&osv=6.1&sc=76&arch=x86&al=false)

trlestew
28-10-10, 01:14
Thank goodness. Less viruses for the world, and more money towards artists.

Legend of Lara
28-10-10, 01:22

True dat. Limewire is just trouble.

t-raider26
28-10-10, 01:24
I rip audio from youtube videos anyways...

But there's still Frostwire and Ares

and The Pirate Bay :pi:

Encore
28-10-10, 01:24
Heh, I hated that program anyway.

Torrents FTW.

Paddy
28-10-10, 01:25
Limewires always been ****.

Ward Dragon
28-10-10, 01:26

Yeah, Limewire is one of the reasons I avoided using my college network with my own PC. A lot of other students were always downloading crap from Limewire, getting viruses, and crashing the network XD

Johnnay
28-10-10, 01:36
Limewires always been ****.

this.. it was possibly the only P2P Software where most viruses(definitely a lot of them) end up to. reason why i avoided it.

scremanie
28-10-10, 01:56
lawl.

Catracoth
28-10-10, 02:01
Well that sucks.

Ikas90
28-10-10, 02:06
LOL, Limewire got owned.

CiaKonwerski
28-10-10, 02:18
Um, yeah, my Limewire still works just fine.

Alpharaider47
28-10-10, 02:18
Rest In Pieces :mis:

Johnnay
28-10-10, 02:21
Um, yeah, my Limewire still works just fine.

open it sonny:D and see the legal notice;)

Catracoth
28-10-10, 02:29
open it sonny:D and see the legal notice;)

I'm pretty sure he did, hence the program still working.

MattTR
28-10-10, 02:32
I don't use it anyway, too much of a risk.

It's about time though. :ton:

snork
28-10-10, 02:43
I think serverbased p2p networks were like doomed from the beginning.

L'arrêt des activités de LimeWire ne devrait néanmoins avoir aucun effet notable sur le peer-to-peer, malgré une forte présence du logiciel sur les ordinateurs du monde entier. D'une part, parce que plusieurs versions alternatives ont émergé ces dernières années, à l'image de FrostWire, et d'autre part parce que d'autres solutions existent, du BitTorrent à Emule en passant par les services d'hébergement (RapidShare, MegaUpload...).
source : Numerama (http://www.numerama.com/magazine/17166-la-justice-americaine-met-fin-aux-activites-de-limewire.html)

in English :
Stopping Limewire will nevertheless not have a notable effect on peer-to-peer, even if the program had a strong presence on computers throughout the world. One the one hand because several alternate versions have emerged within the last years, like FrostWire; on the other hand there are other solutions, from BitTorrent to eMule to filehosting services (Rapidshare, MegaUpload ...).

I think this has some truth.

Johnnay
28-10-10, 02:44
I'm pretty sure he did, hence the program still working.

yeh true, you can still open it but you will get the legal notice and searching for stuff will get you nothing,

Ward Dragon
28-10-10, 02:48

source : Numerama (http://www.numerama.com/magazine/17166-la-justice-americaine-met-fin-aux-activites-de-limewire.html)

in English :
Stopping Limewire will nevertheless not have a notable effect on peer-to-peer, even if the program had a strong presence on computers throughout the world. One the one hand because several alternate versions have emerged within the last years, like FrostWire; on the other hand there are other solutions, from BitTorrent to eMule to filehosting services (Rapidshare, MegaUpload ...).

It sounds true enough, but I think as companies start to actually take advantage of the online market that will reduce piracy. Most people will use a legal alternative if one is made available. For example, Pandora or one of the other legal online music services which licenses music. The more legal options there are for people to use, the less people will pirate things.

snork
28-10-10, 03:01
I think so too.
Now that they have practically given up on restricting their legal customers (and only those) with all that DRM management stuff (music), it maybe has a chance.
Judging by how people welcomed itunes, I guess it is possibe.

BoyTRaider
28-10-10, 03:03
It took them long enough.

I'm very glad that this happened to be fully honest.

But like much of anything else, people will always find a different way of pirating. Even if most filesharing softwares end up being taken away.

Ward Dragon
28-10-10, 03:06
I think so too.
Now that they have practically given up on restricting their legal customers (and only those) with all that DRM management stuff (music), it maybe has a chance.
Judging by how people welcomed itunes, I guess it is possibe.

Exactly :) Most people want to do the right thing. Companies should realize this and not make the right thing significantly more difficult than doing it illegally. I personally don't care enough about any game or music to bother pirating it, but I can see why excessive DRM would encourage people to obtain the media illegally. Companies need to turn their approach around and reward their legal customers, not punish them. Many companies are already doing this and I think it's benefiting them greatly :)

But like much of anything else, people will always find a different way of pirating. Even if most filesharing softwares end up being taken away.

Right. That's why while I support shutting down Limewire, I think it would be more effective in the long run to reduce the demand for piracy in the first place by coming up with ways to reward people for doing the right thing and buying the media legally :)

-Chromeo-
28-10-10, 03:29
LOL Limewire, awh brings back memories eh?
But no it wasn't too bad of a program minus the viruses. It did what it was supposed to do, and was more user friendly than torrents.

Now lets move on to more support for torrents!!

scoopy_loopy
28-10-10, 03:54
Gosh, limwire. There was a time when I don't think I knew anyone that didn't use it, lol. Oh well, gone now. :p

AmericanAssassin
28-10-10, 04:02
I used to use LimeWire all the time, but now I use YouTube converters anyway, so this doesn't affect me at all. *Happy dance* :yah:

TheBloodRed
28-10-10, 04:12
Hopefully the amount of viruses and spamware will decline on the internet too, but that is wishful thinking. xP

Hairhelmet12
28-10-10, 04:33
Good.

Johnnay
28-10-10, 09:34
Hopefully the amount of viruses and spamware will decline on the internet too, but that is wishful thinking. xP

i wish it never happened in the first place

ryan91
28-10-10, 09:48
nothing has changed for me. i listen everything on youtube.

Dina_Croft
28-10-10, 09:58
I've never used Limewire.

Pirate Bay is my mofo <3

lara c. fan
28-10-10, 10:00
Limewire was still around? :confused:

Ah well. Shows how much I know. :p

Trigger_happy
28-10-10, 10:05
Oh, now I won't be able to get singles- I liked getting a few songs to decide whether to buy an album. I'll just find another way then.

LightningRider
28-10-10, 10:08
I thought LimeWire died a couple of years ago lol.

Never used it anyway. I guess now people will just have to use money to get some things.

Minty Mouth
28-10-10, 10:09
P2P software is only one of the myriad options to download files from the internet. And a really stupid one at that.

Who needs P2P when you've got MediaFire and Rapidshare? Don't let anyone else hog your bandwidth; just find the files you want in google.

Mad Tony
28-10-10, 10:34
You can just get songs off of YouTube now. A lot of songs are in HQ and all you have to do is download one of the many YouTube video downloaders out there and rip the music. The thing I find odd though is record companies themselves put these videos on YouTube. Surely they know millions of people will just download them off of YouTube instead of downloading them?

As for Limewire, I used to use it like 2 or 3 years ago (only occasionally) but it stopped working for me for some reason.

lunavixen
28-10-10, 10:42
oh well

Necromanser
28-10-10, 10:48

in English :

Limewire clones will be appearing and many people still use other torrent trackers. I distinctly remember that one Russian torrent tracker was closed down but a few days later they re-opened the website(under a new name and with a different) host.

So yeah p2p networks are far from dead.

Piracy cannot be prevented fully but people can be persuaded to buy legal versions. I remember when steam had a sale I bought the game there just because it was so damn cheap even though piracy was an option.

I, Tomb Raider
28-10-10, 11:00
Whatever, LimeWire sucked anyways. :pi:

TRfan23
28-10-10, 12:42
Well it'd be hard for them to get rid of like Bit Torrent, as afaik the UK Government use that to calculate how citizen's taxes are spent.
But they could make it so that only the Government could use it, I dono.

But I hated Limewire anyways, not to mention the latest versions got worse. You couldn't exactly download anything but viruses lol.
I'm actually glad it's been taken down, especially since it messed up my sisters laptop, causing non stop BSOD's. So I had to convince her to scrap it. It was pretty much simple to prove since Malwarebytes traced Limewire's Setup as Malware.

Edit - lol I still remember that time I received around 40,000 Trojans from an old Limewire version on my old laptop.

CerebralAssassin
28-10-10, 12:43
so Lamewire finally closed?:p

I download off youtube

larson n natla
28-10-10, 14:21
Great news.

I used it once when I was 12 years old. Lets just say when that massive red writing appeared on the screen saying TROJAN I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Never used it since.

tampi
28-10-10, 14:50
"They" want to control everything. I assure you.
I see, lately, a lot of pressure on many activities, called... "parallel":confused:

ultima espio
28-10-10, 14:53
Yo ho fiddle de dee
being a pirate is alright to be
do what you want coz a pirate is free
you are a pirate

:p

Encore
28-10-10, 15:14
I guess now people will just have to use money to get some things.

Lmao :vlol:

Legends
28-10-10, 15:33
It was a piece of garbage anyway.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-10-10, 16:26
You can just get songs off of YouTube now. A lot of songs are in HQ and all you have to do is download one of the many YouTube video downloaders out there and rip the music. The thing I find odd though is record companies themselves put these videos on YouTube. Surely they know millions of people will just download them off of YouTube instead of downloading them?

As for Limewire, I used to use it like 2 or 3 years ago (only occasionally) but it stopped working for me for some reason.

The audio quality of something uploaded to youtube is wretchedly bad. You'd be lucky to get audio at 128 kbs.

lara c. fan
28-10-10, 16:27
The audio quality of something uploaded to youtube is wretchedly bad. You'd be lucky to get audio at 128 kbs.

I find it perfectly fine. Most of my recent songs (Granted, more soundtracks than songs) came off YouTube, and the audio quality is fine.

Cochrane
28-10-10, 16:31
Oh, now I won't be able to get singles- I liked getting a few songs to decide whether to buy an album. I'll just find another way then.

If you buy single songs from an album on iTunes, then you have to pay the corresponding amount less when you decide to buy the full album later. I think some other online stores have similar policies.

batotesic
28-10-10, 16:32
I remember when I found a 1.2GB game on Limewire, it was 5MB. I thought it's real and got a virus. Sad day for my brain cells :(

batotesic
28-10-10, 16:33

That's why I convert only the songs from official accounts, like VEVO.

Mad Tony
28-10-10, 16:37
The audio quality of something uploaded to youtube is wretchedly bad. You'd be lucky to get audio at 128 kbs.That's why I said a lot of songs are in HQ now. Not perfect but pretty good still.

Sharon_14
28-10-10, 16:38
what's limewire? :o

snork
28-10-10, 16:42
I find it perfectly fine. Most of my recent songs (Granted, more soundtracks than songs) came off YouTube, and the audio quality is fine.

Which is just ANOTHER of the MANY opportunities the music etc. industry missed. (which is why they truly deserve to be screwed over as much as it is by Apple)
Why not release lower-quality digital versions for free - so people can have a listen if they really like it.
Like 48kbit/s, 32 kHz or even mono.

Some internet radios have proven to be able to produce music streams at these low settings still worth listening to.

So, those who would want to listen to it frst (before buying) or those who cant afford would still have some (LowFi) opportunity, but everyone who would want the "real thing" would still have to buy the CD etc.

No, rather they waste billions of dollars for the lawyers. :rolleyes:
well the lawyer companies are probably owned by the same people as the copyright holding companies, so basically it is a way to withdraw the money from "Mo' money for the artists"* into their own pockets.

*Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Minty Mouth
28-10-10, 16:53

Nope. Not to me. Even the best quality audio on YouTube's HD videos seems to be encoded in 128kb/s.

Encore
28-10-10, 16:57
well the lawyer companies are probably owned by the same people as the copyright holding companies, so basically it is a way to withdraw the money from "Mo' money for the artists"* into their own pockets.

*Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Yep, in any case the music labels already took a lot of money from the artists through the record industry. It's a wide spread fact that the artists get most of their income through live shows, while they only get a small percentage of each CD you buy.

lara c. fan
28-10-10, 17:04
Nope. Not to me. Even the best quality audio on YouTube's HD videos seems to be encoded in 128kb/s.

They've always been fine for me, but I don't have particularly high standards. :p

larson n natla
28-10-10, 17:16
what's limewire? :o

It was basically a program were anybody could upload or download any file.

Usually a massive virus/trojan which would ruin your computer. People used the program to download music and movies for free. This was illegal but Limewire couldn't be held responsible because they did not upload the files they merely aloud them to be uploaded.

batotesic
28-10-10, 17:38
It was basically a program were anybody could upload or download any file.

Usually a massive virus/trojan which would ruin your computer. People used the program to download music and movies for free. This was illegal but Limewire couldn't be held responsible because they did not upload the files they merely aloud them to be uploaded.

I think he was being sarcastic :)
Or are you sarcastic^2? :D

larson n natla
28-10-10, 17:41
I think he was being sarcastic :)
Or are you sarcastic^2? :D

Erm, I don't think he was being sarcastic. :o Maybe my humour detector isn't working today.

tampi
28-10-10, 17:41
Enough is already divided the access to knowledge.
If we continue to like that, only very few people will have access to a simple image.

It is true that this is wrong. Some are enriched by the work of others, but those who want to control what is still not controlled, are the major controlers of everything.

In addition. What about access to culture?
Culture, creativity should be a right for everyone.
The whole of a community, not only creates things for every individual in itself, but by the whole community.

Culture should belong to and be accessible to anyone.
They are regulating this. There is always controversy.

I think that the way to regulate it will finally "the old account."
The thing more claimed, will be the highest paid.
This will create a false boom exclusive.....

more laws....

NemesisxAngelus
28-10-10, 17:42
It didn't work for me most of the time anyway.

touchthesky
28-10-10, 17:42
Hopefully this starts happening with loads of other illegal downloading sites.

It annoys me so much, my Mother downloads THOUSANDS of pounds worth of stuff...and I pay for everything. She is on benefits (She could work, she is just extremely lazy and thinks for some reason she's entitled to all this money, but we won't go into that) and gets all this free stuff and I work and pay for mine.

Uzi master
28-10-10, 18:02
I've never used Limewire.

Pirate Bay is my mofo <3

I would NEVER EVER go to that site to get a two dollar game That apparently isn't available anywere...

Encore
28-10-10, 23:08
The whole of a community, not only creates things for every individual in itself, but by the whole community.

I once read a very interesting opinion article that pointed to the fashion industry as an example to be followed; it said that while there is no copyright protection to the clothing designs that show in the runway, it's still an industry that thrives and is booming with creativity. Top designers only stand out when they make something extremely good and unique, so no one even wants to steal each other's art. If only the same could be applied to music and movies!

I should try to find the link... Unfortunately the site where I found it is temporarily down. :/ But it's certainly food for thought.

She is on benefits (She could work, she is just extremely lazy and thinks for some reason she's entitled to all this money, but we won't go into that) and gets all this free stuff and I work and pay for mine.

If it bothers you so much, don't pay for it. No one's forcing you. :p

Tombraiderx08
28-10-10, 23:18
Eh, it didnt want to work half of the time anyways, and the songs were usually crappy quality. I'd rather give my money to the artists anyways :)

snork
28-10-10, 23:53
edit : this reads as if directed at James, that's not what I meant /edit

You are NOT "giving your money to the artists". You are giving it to some monstruous industry, that add no value whatsoever nowhere.

What is so difficult to understand that "the music industry" is pursuing its own interests, and their own interests ONLY.

"More money to the artists" is the last thing they want, it is their money in their eyes.. They do NOT present "the artist's" interests. Never ever.

And also they are NOT pursuing "your" interests. They want nothing to do with you. All they want to do with "you" is your money.
Well, that and to laugh about their customers who run around confusing "us" and "them".
While "they" know that distinction perfectly.

Gawd.
-----------------

There once was this really smart idea of a "culture tax" - basically everyone would have to pay a culture tax per month, and this would cover - no matter what access for online stuff, the libraries, maybe even making copies of notesheets for your village choir, ... - who knows what.

It was smothered down even before serious discussion could start. :(

TRfan23
29-10-10, 00:05
What is the Music Industry called again?

Is it RAII or RAAI or RRAI or RIAI...? Drone mentioned it agesss ago and I forgotten :(

snork
29-10-10, 00:08
RIAA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America) is just one part of it (..of America)

There are also others, my favourite "enemy" being sony. :vlol:

Tombraiderx08
29-10-10, 00:10
Yes but, doesnt some part of the money go to the songwriters (often times the artist)? :confused:

TRfan23
29-10-10, 00:12
Yes but, doesnt some part of the money go to the songwriters (often times the artist)? :confused:

Yes, but most of it goes to the Industry, which imo is wrong.

tranniversary119
29-10-10, 00:16
I usually use mediafire now or youtube. Oh, sometimes Itunes when I feel like paying 1.29$ for a single song -_-.

Cochrane
29-10-10, 00:19
snork: You are oversimplifying here. Yes, many artists make their money with tours and not so much with CDs. However, there are also enough artists for who it is exactly the other way around, and they usually tend to have very different opinions on copyright from the first group.

I once read a very interesting opinion article that pointed to the fashion industry as an example to be followed; it said that while there is no copyright protection to the clothing designs that show in the runway, it's still an industry that thrives and is booming with creativity. Top designers only stand out when they make something extremely good and unique, so no one even wants to steal each other's art. If only the same could be applied to music and movies!

I should try to find the link... Unfortunately the site where I found it is temporarily down. :/ But it's certainly food for thought.
It completely misses the point, though. The issue isn’t that other recording companies or artists steal songs, it’s that the end users violate copyright. It’s not trivial for most people to create an exact copy of a piece of designer clothing. Creating an exact copy of a piece of music, on the other hand? That was and is extremely easy.

Besides, it’s not as if IP wasn’t an issue for the clothes industry. There is a large market for fake products, including those that are obviously fake and try to escape persecution by e.g. changing a letter in the company’s name. And the fashion industry is not happy about it.

snork
29-10-10, 00:21
(wow, am I slow a typer, 3 new posts since I pressed answer ^^)

Of course, but ever so little. Maybe (hopefully) it is different in America or somewhere, but here if you were member of a band - and you are not Britney Spears or what - and wanted a CD published, you practically have to bring your own money.
Or rather, sign contracts that the first so many tens of thousands of Euros earned are to cover publishers costs.
(I mean music being published, not just some CDs pressed that you sell at your concerts)

I liked the few occasions when I liked sth. so much I wanted to buy the CD or/and a t-shirt or whatnot, and the musicians still had the right to distribute themselves.
So I could feel the money goes where I want it. :D

But those occasions are so few.

Please understand that I am coming from being used to having rights (analogue age) that are now bit by bit taken away. :(

Ward Dragon
29-10-10, 00:23
There once was this really smart idea of a "culture tax" - basically everyone would have to pay a culture tax per month, and this would cover - no matter what access for online stuff, the libraries, maybe even making copies of notesheets for your village choir, ... - who knows what.

How would that tax work? It sounds like someone would pay the mandatory tax without any say in the matter and then they have a license to pirate whatever they want since they already technically paid for it :confused:

Encore
29-10-10, 00:33
It completely misses the point, though. The issue isn’t that other recording companies or artists steal songs, it’s that the end users violate copyright. It’s not trivial for most people to create an exact copy of a piece of designer clothing. Creating an exact copy of a piece of music, on the other hand? That was and is extremely easy.

Besides, it’s not as if IP wasn’t an issue for the clothes industry. There is a large market for fake products, including those that are obviously fake and try to escape persecution by e.g. changing a letter in the company’s name. And the fashion industry is not happy about it.

People still buy designer's clothes. A lot of them.

snork
29-10-10, 00:50
How would that tax work? It sounds like someone would pay the mandatory tax without any say in the matter and then they have a license to pirate whatever they want since they already technically paid for it :confused:

That is what is most sad about it - it got booed down before serious (broad) discussion arose.

What exactly would be covered, how would be taxed (per person, per household ?), what about merging it with the TV+radio license fee*, how would the money be spread, what artist gets how much of it, how high would the tax (rather : fee) need to be, and so on.

It was an interesting attempt to take a completely different approach however.

* you also have to pay it if you have a computer+broadband internet access. What for exactly remains unknown. Poor people however can get the license for free, no matter if TV or computer.

Ward Dragon
29-10-10, 00:55
That is what is most sad about it - it got booed down before serious (broad) discussion arose.

What exactly would be covered, how would be taxed (per person, per household ?), what about merging it with the TV+radio license fee, how would the money be spread, what artist gets how much of it, how high would the tax (rather : fee) need to be, and so on.

It was an interesting attempt to take a completely different approach however.

My question was serious. Was that the general idea? That people would pay this tax and then they would be legally allowed to download whatever they wanted?

Also you mentioned libraries earlier. At least in the US, libraries are financed out of property taxes. There's also no TV+radio license fee. Public TV and radio are free, and then people can choose to subscribe to various services which offer more programming if they want. So maybe I'm looking at this from a different perspective and that's why I'm not understanding how this proposed culture tax would theoretically work.

Encore
29-10-10, 00:58
Not sure if anyone cares but, here is an article of what I mentioned.

Copyrighting fashion: who gains? (http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/copyrighting-fashion-who-gains/)

And some more relevant articles:

Is piracy really killing the music industry? No! (http://torrentfreak.com/is-piracy-really-killing-the-music-industry-no-100418/)

Piracy benefits musicians, hurts their labels? (http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-benefits-musicians-hurts-their-labels-091216/)

Read them as you wish.

ozzman
29-10-10, 02:37
i just convert Youtube Videos :D, but i'm glad it's done, it messed up my PC, and for some reason the Internet Lags when loading pages

Lizard of Oz
29-10-10, 02:45
Ah well,

there are tons of other places to practice the act of illegally downloading copyrighted material. :)

Not that I do that, of course.:pi:

KC Mraz
29-10-10, 03:00
And nothing of value will be lost.

It's was mainly way of people getting infected with viruses (virii?). People are just going to find another way of downloading music, at least now they are going to do it a little more safer.

ozzman
29-10-10, 03:07
i only do it for songs i can't get on Disk, like Unreleased songs or Preorder songs, or Region Specific songs[like Japan only songs for Example]

amaris
29-10-10, 03:48
Thank god, one less sourse of viruses for the world. :tmb: (and illegal music downloads. :D)

tampi
29-10-10, 09:39
You are NOT "giving your money to the artists". You are giving it to some monstruous industry, that add no value whatsoever nowhere.

What is so difficult to understand that "the music industry" is pursuing its own interests, and their own interests ONLY.

"More money to the artists" is the last thing they want, it is their money in their eyes.. They do NOT present "the artist's" interests. Never ever.

And also they are NOT pursuing "your" interests. They want nothing to do with you. All they want to do with "you" is your money.
Well, that and to laugh about their customers who run around confusing "us" and "them".
While "they" know that distinction perfectly.

Gawd.

Most of the time is. I think.
Only in cases where the benefits are absolutely outrageous, the artist receives the appropriate payment.

Yes, but most of it goes to the Industry, .
yes

My question was serious. Was that the general idea? That people would pay this tax and then they would be legally allowed to download whatever they wanted?

Also you mentioned libraries earlier. At least in the US, libraries are financed out of property taxes. There's also no TV+radio license fee. Public TV and radio are free, and then people can choose to subscribe to various services which offer more programming if they want. So maybe I'm looking at this from a different perspective and that's why I'm not understanding how this proposed culture tax would theoretically work.

So we pay one of the highest rates across Europe to connect to the internet, with one of the worst services in Europe: quality/price.
Also, here they added a fee for any item related to the ability to store media.
So that we pay but what we buy is not to pirate related action.
I pay for a phone, for a CD, for a hard disc,...
I pay additional taxes if any, that is, before I can commit piracy.

sooooo... :confused:

Not sure if anyone cares but, here is an article of what I mentioned.

Copyrighting fashion: who gains? (http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/copyrighting-fashion-who-gains/)

And some more relevant articles:

Is piracy really killing the music industry? No! (http://torrentfreak.com/is-piracy-really-killing-the-music-industry-no-100418/)

Piracy benefits musicians, hurts their labels? (http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-benefits-musicians-hurts-their-labels-091216/)

Read them as you wish.

Thanks for looking. It really is interesting to note the matter of fashion.:tmb:

i just convert Youtube Videos :D, but i'm glad it's done, it messed up my PC, and for some reason the Internet Lags when loading pages

That is also regulated shortly.

This has happened to previuos things/options/programs.

Anubis_AF
29-10-10, 10:27
Well I haven't really been a fan of LimeWire to start with... but indeed it was nice having it around.
RIP.

NemesisxAngelus
29-10-10, 15:56
what is the music industry called again?

Is it raii or raai or rrai or riai...? Drone mentioned it agesss ago and i forgotten :(

riaa.

Chocola teapot
29-10-10, 16:44
Lmao.

An era has ended.

Mad Tony
29-10-10, 17:34
Don't know what's with all the virus talk. When I used Limewire I didn't get any viruses.

Underworld2008
29-10-10, 17:36
When I used Limewire I didn't get any viruses.

Same.

However, R.I.P Limewire, your reign of terror is over :hug:

TombRaider4444
29-10-10, 18:07
I've always used other services, just not limewire!

Encore
29-10-10, 19:35
Don't know what's with all the virus talk. When I used Limewire I didn't get any viruses.

What happened is that there were LOADS of files named after songs or whatever it was you were searching for, but that were, in fact, viruses. So I guess you'd have to be kinda dumb or in a rush to not notice anything. I fell for it once. :o

FloTheMachine
29-10-10, 19:36
At least the artists will get the revenue they deserve :)

Encore
29-10-10, 19:40
At least the artists will get the revenue they deserve :)

Why do people keep saying this?! For one, it's debatable that the artists lose all that much because of piracy; and on the other hand, it's not like the end of Limewire is the end of piracy itself!

Ugh I hate politically correct cliches.

TombRaiderLover
29-10-10, 19:48
Digital downloading of music sucks, both legally and illegally. Give me packaging and a genuine feeling of ownership. I'll admit that I've asked my sister to download several singles for me in the past, but was it was eradicated completely (not going to happen), I wouldn't miss it.

FloTheMachine
29-10-10, 20:20
Why do people keep saying this?! For one, it's debatable that the artists lose all that much because of piracy; and on the other hand, it's not like the end of Limewire is the end of piracy itself!

Ugh I hate politically correct cliches.

That point is debatable.

lara c. fan
29-10-10, 20:21
That point is debatable.

What point? That the end of Limewire is not the end of piracy?

tampi
29-10-10, 20:37
Digital downloading of music sucks, both legally and illegally.

that is:tmb:

Since I bought my old vinyl and lovingly cared for no scratches .... caring for them as treasures:whi:

Now CD, MP3, WMA, ...

Dowload copy paste copy, paste, repeated ,..... in the PC copy in the Laptop copy in the MP3 portable music copy....

Everything loses value.:confused:

herothing
29-10-10, 20:42
Is it odd that i can still download from limewire? :p

Ward Dragon
29-10-10, 21:14
Digital downloading of music sucks, both legally and illegally. Give me packaging and a genuine feeling of ownership. I'll admit that I've asked my sister to download several singles for me in the past, but was it was eradicated completely (not going to happen), I wouldn't miss it.

When I listen to music on my PC I prefer the convenience of MP3's and not having to swap discs in between songs, but I do like owning the CD's as well. Which reminds me, now that I've got a new PC with a much larger hard drive, I need to re-rip some of my older CD's in higher quality :p (I simply transferred all of the MP3's over from my old PC so some of them are relatively low quality compared to the newer ones).

Los Angeles
29-10-10, 21:16
What's Limewire?

Tonttu
29-10-10, 21:29
That point is debatable.
end of limewire is end of piracy?
People seem to forget that LimeWire was a Gnutella client and Gnutella doesn't depend on LimeWire
LimeWire goes down, users migrate to FrostWire or some other Gnutella client and everything is back to normal
and meanwhile Operation Payback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Payback) gets a Limewire Edition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Operation_Payback.png)

igonge
29-10-10, 21:33
Ha ha. Not used that since 2004 lol. Good riddance. Get music the legal way *****es.

Lara's home
29-10-10, 21:36
LimeWire is sooo 2004 anyway.

Ward Dragon
29-10-10, 21:36
What's Limewire?

A peer-to-peer file sharing service that was frequently used by people to pirate music, movies, etc.

TombOfRaiders
29-10-10, 22:08
Not too fussed over this, I never really used Limewire, I'm with piratebay and btjunkie!!! :D