PDA

View Full Version : Henna Tatoos - Advice?

xXhayleyroxXx
28-10-10, 22:37
I was just wondering if anyone here has used or knows anything from personal experience about henna tatoos? Is it advisable to get a pen/ink/sachets of henna mix, what are the pros and cons, etc.

Just anything you can tell me about their general use would be great, since I was looking into getting my mum a kit for Christmas ^_^

xxx

I've had a henna tatoo before but it was by this seedy back-street guy in London and I wasn't particularly watching what he was doing :vlol:

Dark Lugia 2
28-10-10, 23:10
The way henna is done traditionally (and professionally) doesnt require a 'kit' so to speak... you buy these 'tubes' of henna:
picture/link (www.google.com/m/imgres?client=ms-opera-mobile&q=henna+tattoo+packet&channel=new&start=2&site=images&imgid=phXGXJuEJZffWM:&imgsz=41772&imgurl=http://tattooyoustore.com/wp-content/uploads/aes/Tattoo-You-Store_748.jpg&imgrefurl=http://tattooyoustore.com/tattooing-supplies/beachcombers-henna-tattoo-10-pre-mixed-paste-cone-party-pack.html&ht=375&wd=500&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&ei=BgLKTNDhOMX2jAfggYuIAw&ved=0CA4Q9QEwAg)
They are usually have a pin on the end or you have to cut a tiny hole in the end. You just squeeze it out like icing sugar on a cake, draw your design, leave it to dry for a couple of hours and wash the dried yup paste off. They last for quite a while, id say a month? Youtube henna tattoos, that should give you more insight. Or wikipedia it :p

xXhayleyroxXx
28-10-10, 23:15
Oh okay -- I'll see what I can find ^_^ Thanks for the info! x

Ahmad
28-10-10, 23:20
you can start by drawing whatever you want on your hand/feet with a pen then cover it with henna as Dark Lugia told you , I just have to say that you need to use a good henna cause if you used something not good you will feel itches and it's better to wash it away
check this for more (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1276&bih=562&q=%D8%AD%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%A1&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=)

Dark Lugia 2
28-10-10, 23:23
No problem, good luck finding some! You shouldnt have too much trouble finding them, asian(indian) clothes stores may sell them, theyreused a lot, especially on holidays like diwali and eid. Try looking online though thats your best bet haha. :p i dunno what the technical name for the henne 'tubes' are, but it still shouldnt be hard. Im sure youd be good at using henna as well since you're so good at art - imagine drawing line art, but in the way you squeeze icing sugar onto a cake, haha. :p
I'll try to find links to buy them, henna isnt expensive.

These are the joys of having a pakistani family. LOL fml D:

Btw, thats good advice Ahmad! :D

xXhayleyroxXx
28-10-10, 23:26
I've seen this henna design book, henna tube and transfers on amazon -- so hopefully the henna would be of good quality :o

In some designs I've seen gold ink/paint being used and its a shame I can't find any :/

EDIT: and thankyou, both of you for helping me ^_^ And like you said Dark Lugia 2 -- my best bet is finding them online since I live in rural england and we don't have many asain clothing shops, I'd have to travel to the city for that.

Catracoth
28-10-10, 23:27
Henna's not permanent...:p do whatever you'd like.

Lizard of Oz
29-10-10, 02:51
My sister had a Henna tattoo once. It lasted her about a week... lost much of it's pigment on the very first days. It hastily faded away -.-

I guess it also depends on the type of "ink" and the level of professionalism in which it's done?

I wouldn't worry though, it's not permanent so there's always room for trial and error :D

Sway6erman
29-10-10, 11:02
My boyfriend is an artist and made me one 3 months ago.Although I was really impressed by the result,it only stayed for 2 weeks.Maybe he did something wrong while making the mixture or thats how long it usually stays.I'm not sure.Also it depends on what kind of henna you are going to use because the one we used(I guess you can't find it in the USA or anywere except Bulgaria:D)was really cheap.About 2 dollars I guess.Anyway,I've heard that the original henna which lasts for month or two and is used for this kind of tattoos is about 60-70 dollars.And if that's true I don't think its worthy.
Thats my result,please ignore the bad quality and my crappy english :D :
http://prikachi.com/images/44/2619044M.jpg
http://prikachi.com/images/53/2619053R.jpg

xXhayleyroxXx
29-10-10, 11:13
Thanks for the comments and pictures ^_^ A feel less clueless now. xxx

larson n natla
29-10-10, 14:04
Hi Hayley if your looking into Henna Tattoos be careful, first just tell your mum to test it on say her elbow to check for any allergic reactions. There have been cases of scarring caused by Henna tattoos, most recently a child who had a flame style Henna permanently scarred on his arm.

Just a little warning ;)

xXhayleyroxXx
29-10-10, 14:18
Thanks for the warning -- I shall do that ^_^

snork
29-10-10, 15:23
Hi Hayley if your looking into Henna Tattoos be careful, first just tell your mum to test it on say her elbow to check for any allergic reactions. There have been cases of scarring caused by Henna tattoos, most recently a child who had a flame style Henna permanently scarred on his arm.

Just a little warning ;)
I recently saw a feature about that, people having had a "henna" tattoo made in their holidays sometimes had that, some got ugly.

It was due to (WP) P-Phenylenediamine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-Phenylenediamine) being in the dark "ink".
I think it is forbidden for such use here.
Getting the henna from some "ecological" shop, maybe asking about P-Phenylenediamine-free guarantee, I would feel safe.

toxicraider
29-10-10, 16:50
Yes, natural Henna should be perfectly safe, but Black Henna contains this chemical that acts as a jet-black dye, and can cause terrible allergic reactions.
Here's (http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html) some information.
Safe Henna should be brown, take several hours or overnight to work, and will only last a couple of weeks. PPD will take less than an hour, come out black, and last for a long time. Also, if you have PPD Henna and get a rash, then you won't be able to use a majority of hair dyes, ever again, as it will make you badly allergic to the PPD hair dyes.

Not trying to scare you, just make sure the henna is safe. The PPD Black Henna is illegal in the UK, so you should be ok.

That site has links to safe places you can get Henna.

xXhayleyroxXx
29-10-10, 16:53
Thankyou all for your help, I really appreciate it :hug: xxxxxx

Dina_Croft
29-10-10, 20:43
Oh my Henna rocks.

The only thing is that after one to two weeks, it's gone. But they're awesome you should totally do it.

And make sure that the henna store has great quality henna or else you could get an infection.

Rivendell
29-10-10, 20:45
Henna Tattoo advice:

Don't fall asleep on white sheets afterwards.

:whi: :o

xXhayleyroxXx
30-10-10, 19:42
Oh my Henna rocks.

The only thing is that after one to two weeks, it's gone. But they're awesome you should totally do it.

And make sure that the henna store has great quality henna or else you could get an infection.

Oh okay, thanks for the tip ^_^

Henna Tattoo advice:

Don't fall asleep on white sheets afterwards.

:whi: :o

I'll make note of that :vlol:

robm_2007
30-10-10, 22:10
I've had a henna tatoo before but it was by this seedy back-street guy in London and I wasn't particularly watching what he was doing :vlol:

WHAT THE ****?!

OMG, that made my day :p
---------
id never get a real tattoo, as i fear it will hurt too much or be just annoying while im getting it, adn i dont want it to be permanent. but, id might consider a henna one, one day.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-10-10, 22:16
WHAT THE ****?!

OMG, that made my day :p
---------
id never get a real tattoo, as i fear it will hurt too much or be just annoying while im getting it, adn i dont want it to be permanent. but, id might consider a henna one, one day.

Well I'm glad my experience with a seedy backstreet guy in London made your day :vlol: Oh gawd that sounds wrong. Experience with tattoos!
And I actually miss my henna tatoo I had from London :vlol: Y'never know, you might like them ^_^