PDA

View Full Version : "I'm right, you're wrong"

lara_bond
01-11-10, 17:54
I thought about this all last night.

So I was trick-or-treating with my friends because we were bored and wanted free candy. So we're walking down the road and come up to a normal sized condo. There is a dark 40-50 year old woman outside with a bandanna, a fur coat, cheap sunglasses, a cigarette, and a clearly fake water gun. "Can you guess who I am?"
"Washed up!" I think to myself.
"Here's a clue: Tomb Raider" she says.
Lara Croft!?" I blasted. I was disgusted. This is her costume for Lara Croft? She didn't look even relatively close.
"No, it's pronounced Lerah Croft." Pronounced with an E, the usual mispronounce of Lara.
This is a complete disgrace. She dressed up as a hobo and called herself Lara Croft, and tried to correct me of the visible mispronunciation of Lara?

Oh. Hell. No.

I put my candy back in her bowl and walked away. What a disgrace.

So, the main idea of this is:

Has anyone ever tried proving you wrong of something that you know for sure, and there so wrong that it's pure shame?

Ex: the not-so-bright kid in math thinks his answer is right and yours is wrong.

Is it just me who gets mad at these things?

Love2Raid
01-11-10, 17:59
:vlol:

sorry

\Tomb Raider/
01-11-10, 18:01
I put my candy back in her bowl and walked away. What a disgrace

yes that happens to me too LOL

larson n natla
01-11-10, 18:04
It would of been polite to just take the candy and thank the lady but I guess you wanted to make a point. Which is admirable I suppose. Hope you had a nice Halloween!

Personally I have witnessed this before and been the guilty party. Particularly at maths. I'm the 'not so bright kid' and sometimes am just convinced that I ma right before being proved wrong. Quite embarrassing.

batotesic
01-11-10, 18:08
that happens all the time, and it's sooo annoying :hea::hea:

the ancient
01-11-10, 18:17
I would go in discussion with her 'cause I saw and heared Lara enough to know how she looks and prenounce her name.

I have the same problem to sometimes :)

JonnyL
01-11-10, 18:35
Lol yea in my house it's always like that :P

Underworld2008
01-11-10, 18:42

Really? For the costume, maybe she just worked with what she had. I understand the whole mispronunciation, but really? Bit OTT in my opinion.

Anyway, hope you had a good Halloween in the end!

oh and yeah I get annoyed when people think they're right, even though you have the facts!

Squibbly
01-11-10, 19:03
It drives me mad when people argue to no end when I know for a fact that I'm correct. It's like someone arguing that the sky is naturally purple when you KNOW it's blue.

moodydog
01-11-10, 19:04

So I was trick-or-treating with my friends because we were bored and wanted free candy. So we're walking down the road and come up to a normal sized condo. There is a dark 40-50 year old woman outside with a bandanna, a fur coat, cheap sunglasses, a cigarette, and a clearly fake water gun. "Can you guess who I am?"
Lara Croft!?" I blasted. I was disgusted. This is her costume for Lara Croft? She didn't look even relatively close.
"No, it's pronounced Lerah Croft." Pronounced with an E, the usual mispronounce of Lara.
This is a complete disgrace. She dressed up as a hobo and called herself Lara Croft, and tried to correct me of the visible mispronunciation of Lara?

Oh. Hell. No.

Has anyone ever tried proving you wrong of something that you know for sure, and there so wrong that it's pure shame?

Ex: the not-so-bright kid in math thinks his answer is right and yours is wrong.

:vlol: :vlol:

relax.

Who should care how she dressed!

N lol if people try to correct me on things I know more about... I dont try and argue... I just automatically feel superior :whi::rolleyes:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
01-11-10, 19:13
Then what happened?

AmericanAssassin
01-11-10, 19:13
When people pronounce her name Lerah or Laura, I want to knock their teeth out. It's not that hard to say Lara.

lara_bond
01-11-10, 19:17
When people pronounce her name Lerah or Laura, I want to knock their teeth out. It's not that hard to say Lara.

Exactly. That's what really ****ed me off. It's not the costume, it's just the fact that she corrected me wrongly is what blew my cap.

xcrushterx
01-11-10, 19:19
Over reaction much?

Catracoth
01-11-10, 19:41

I died at the opening post.

Chocola teapot
01-11-10, 20:47
I would have Lol'd,

In her face. <3

Taken the Sweets and have felt good.

x

Anubis_AF
01-11-10, 20:50
Spank her. I would.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-11-10, 21:10
I can't believe a whore in a fur coat argued with you about that... and dared to dress up as sexy Miss Lara :ohn:

Yeah I hate when people think they're right and try to correct you, when you know you're right.

Similarly, I remember when I was little I had an argument with a posh londoner girl about scones and their pronounciation. Us northerners say sc-on while most southerners saying -scone as in cone and I was arguing with her for ages :vlol:

"Haway man, its scone!" :ton:

Rai
01-11-10, 21:16
This woman clearly didn't even have a clue who Lara is, maybe she was confusing her for someone else :p.

@Hayley, I'm southern and it is soo scon :tmb: Scone indeed *tuts* :vlol:

Hmm, yeah I've had moments like that, but if someone is convinced they're right and are hard headed about it, then I just shrug, leave the to their delusions :p

xXhayleyroxXx
01-11-10, 21:19
This woman clearly didn't even have a clue who Lara is, maybe she was confusing her for someone else :p.

@Hayley, I'm southern and it is soo scon :tmb: Scone indeed *tuts* :vlol:

Hmm, yeah I've had moments like that, but if someone is convinced they're right and are hard headed about it, then I just shrug, leave the to their delusions :p

Hurrah for you :tmb: Do you say bath not barth?

Tbh, the women described in the original post sounds more like Janice than Lara.
"Excuse me moi cher, you pronounced Lara's name wrong"

lara c. fan
01-11-10, 21:20
I say scone as scon, but bath as barth.

*coughs awkwardly*

xXhayleyroxXx
01-11-10, 21:22

*coughs awkwardly*

I don't even... I refuse to talk to you :p I'm joking ;) x

AmericanAssassin
01-11-10, 21:23

*coughs awkwardly*

I don't see that the same. I don't mind different pronunciations of random words (usually), but names are set in stone. They are fact. That's the way I see it anyway.

lara c. fan
01-11-10, 21:24
Saying it as bath just sounds too strange and short.. :p

tomblover
01-11-10, 21:25
I would have said "you look more like Janice!" and left her to figure out the rest. XD

I am usually the wrong one under these circumstances...

Sometimes when I listen to Gaga, though, people like to come up to me and tell me that she's male, and when I'm finished with my tirade of evidence as to why she's female and they refuse to listen, I kind of freak out. XD

Rai
01-11-10, 21:29
Saying it as bath just sounds too strange and short.. :p

When I lived in Bath, this is how it was pronounced, it kinda stuck even though I used to say barth. I revert back sometimes :p.

PoseidonsDeath
01-11-10, 21:43
Haha, funny story. I'm sure I've had an experience like that, but I can't think of one right now. Hmmm. *Goes off to reflect on past events related to subject*:jmp:

Lee croft
01-11-10, 21:51
I would have said "you look more like Janice!" and left her to figure out the rest. XD

Darn...someone always gets there 1st

cbragg09
01-11-10, 22:06
I would have done the same thing. I get defensive when it comes to TR knowledge cause I whole heartedly admit to being more than obsessive. The only time something like this happened though was a friend always called it Tomba Raider, and anytime he did Id say "What game?" and keep saying that until he finally pronounce Tomb right

lara_bond
01-11-10, 22:16
Sometimes when I listen to Gaga, though, people like to come up to me and tell me that she's male, and when I'm finished with my tirade of evidence as to why she's female and they refuse to listen, I kind of freak out. XD

I hate when that happens. She freaking admitted that she's a woman on national T.V.! Gosh! But yeah, a lot of people think she's a guy. I had a best friend, and we had so much things that are uncommon. He's like Francis from L4D2 AKA he hates everything. So I put on Lady GaGa one day, and he said "ew, she's a man. Take it off."

We aren't friends anymore.

No, I didn't overreact, he just hates everything that I love, and that pushed me over the edge. Ex: Lady GaGa, Glee, Tomb Raider, Life (and not the T.V. show, honey).

xXhayleyroxXx
01-11-10, 22:17
Darn...someone always gets there 1st

I mentioned Janice before that :p

Encore
01-11-10, 23:06
It drives me mad when people argue to no end when I know for a fact that I'm correct. It's like someone arguing that the sky is naturally purple when you KNOW it's blue.

Usually I just explain myself once and if nothing productive comes out, I ignore them. I mean, if you have knowledge first hand and the person still dismisses it, then nothing you say will convince them, so what's the point? Let the ignorant people have fun in their sense of self importance, maybe one day they'll open their eyes.

AmericanAssassin
01-11-10, 23:09
He just hates everything that I love, and that pushed me over the edge. Ex: Lady GaGa, Glee, Tomb Raider, Life (and not the T.V. show, honey).

I have "friends" like that in my life, as well. They hate things that I enjoy before even experiencing them. They pre-judge everything simply because they want to annoy me and I hate it.

Sir Croft
01-11-10, 23:28
There is a dark 40-50 year old woman outside with a bandanna...

http://idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Antoine-Dodson-Bed-Intruder-song-Huntsville-Rapist-Gregory-Brothers-Kelly-Dodson.jpg

Couldn't think of anything else...

Ikas90
01-11-10, 23:29
I am always right, and everyone else is always wrong.

Fact.

:}hello friend
01-11-10, 23:34

Oh. Hell. No.

I swear, I see a lady that's a looks like the person in the description on a day to day basis.

Oh wait, it's me.

trlestew
01-11-10, 23:39
Over reaction much?

Yes. :confused:

I would had have to walk away real quick and laugh at the sight of that though :vlol:

Librarian
02-11-10, 00:58
At least she chose someone awesome to try to dress up as :p

Miharu
02-11-10, 01:17
I just hate it when I know I'm right, I explain everything LOGICALLY in clear sentances and the person is like "No..." "That's wrong."

Next thing you know...either a teacher or something happens that proves my point even when I've given a clear example and there like "oh."

100,000th reason to hate school kids who think there right all the time.

Btw even though you was disgusted, you should have took the candy anyway, I think throwing the candy back in the bowl is quite rude, you could have easily made the woman feel bad.

scremanie
02-11-10, 01:32
I always have these sort of arguments with MyRaider4Life... :pi:

Of course, I'm always right. :ohn:

jjbennett
02-11-10, 01:37
If you know you are right then leave someone to fail if they don't listen to you the first time. Sadly for a lot of (thick) people, thats how it is. Just take solice in the knowledge that you are right and many other will probably point out they are wrong also.

Mr.Burns
02-11-10, 01:38
Spank her. I would.

:eek: Adam! My eyes!

*clears throat* Um...yea, so I get that from my customers all the time. I especially love it when they complain that they can't get satellite tv because of the trees on their property.

Me: "I'm sorry sir, but there are too many trees for you to get reception.
Customer: "well, they should put satellites right above us."
ME: They can't do that in a geo-synchronous orbit."
Customer: Why not?
ME: It's the laws of physics.
Customer: Well, who cares about the laws of physics, put a damn satellite up there.
ME: *facepalm*

trlestew
02-11-10, 01:42
Oh my :|
Well, you still get paid right? :p Patience will get anyone far I guess.

SkyPuppy
02-11-10, 01:43
*clears throat* Um...yea, so I get that from my customers all the time. I especially love it when they complain that they can't get satellite tv because of the trees on their property.

Me: "I'm sorry sir, but there are too many trees for you to get reception.
Customer: "well, they should put satellites right above us."
ME: They can't do that in a geo-synchronous orbit."
Customer: Why not?
ME: It's the laws of physics.
Customer: Well, who cares about the laws of physics, put a damn satellite up there.
ME: *facepalm*

that sounds like something i would say... screw the laws of physics!

Mr.Burns
02-11-10, 02:15
Oh my :|
Well, you still get paid right? :p Patience will get anyone far I guess.

Oh yea, I'm paid by the hour. I have encountered way too many idiots out there for my tastes.

You! :smk:

Alpharaider47
02-11-10, 02:25
Oh yea, I'm paid by the hour. I have encountered way too many idiots out there for my tastes.

Do you make a lot of money from dealing with idiots then? :p That's like people and wanting cell coverage everywhere :vlol: putting towers everywhere won't necessarily make things any better!

scremanie
02-11-10, 02:27

But it's so true. :ton:

Mr.Burns
02-11-10, 02:30
Do you make a lot of money from dealing with idiots then? :p That's like people and wanting cell coverage everywhere :vlol: putting towers everywhere won't necessarily make things any better!

Contrary to popular belief, I do actually pull down a decent living in my job and yea, I gotta deal with morons ALL of the time. Now when someone gives me the "put them above us" speech, I just tell them "talk to G-d. he wrote the laws of physics." :p

Alpharaider47
02-11-10, 02:33
Contrary to popular belief, I do actually pull down a decent living in my job and yea, I gotta deal with morons ALL of the time. Now when someone gives me the "put them above us" speech, I just tell them "talk to G-d. he wrote the laws of physics." :p

:vlol: I like your answer for them :p

I've just started working myself so I haven't much experience with idiots in the workplace environment :p I'm sure that will change soon though :o

robm_2007
02-11-10, 02:38
When ppl wont listen when i tell them that the Earth is flat :/

It must be nice living in such ignorance.

scremanie
02-11-10, 02:50
The lyrics "I'm always wrong, but, you're never right." come to mind.. :whi:

voltz
02-11-10, 03:37
people and their "p-r-e-c-i-o-u-s" Lara.... only one thought comes to mind on this subject.

http://media1.clipaday.com/embed/m_videos/thumbs/britney_alone_88u3.jpg

Tombraiderx08
02-11-10, 11:36
Oh. Hell. No.

I put my candy back in her bowl and walked away. What a disgrace. You're my hero :D! I get mad about those things as well, I just kind of accept that some people are going to be stupid and believe they are right, no matter what (that may imply that I'm always right, which is far from the truth, lol) so I just wont argue, lol.

digitizedboy
02-11-10, 12:07
When someone is convinced I am wrong, I just go along with it even if I know I'm 100% right. No point in arguing. :)

ultima espio
02-11-10, 12:30
Tbh, I wouldn't have liked that either:p

And yes, I have been through "I'm right your wrong", mostly with some geeks at college...

I still want to kick ass whenever I think of the 17 members of Organisation 13:mad::p

I just like to prove people wrong :p

Azerutan
02-11-10, 15:56
When I prove people wrong and they know they're wrong, they call me arrogant every time.

I only argue when I know I am right anyway (not about subjective matters of course).

Mikky
02-11-10, 16:51
I don't believe that story at all. You really expect me to believe that you, a TR fan who's on a TR forum, conveniently decided to go out because you were "bored", and met someone you said they were dressed up as Lara Croft?! Yeah, right! :vlol:

the ancient
02-11-10, 16:53
^I think a lot of people dress up as Lara for Haloween XD
We get also bored you know :p

Mikky
02-11-10, 16:55
^I think a lot of people dress up as Lara for Haloween XD
We get also bored you know :p

Even if they do, it just seems way too coincidental that a TR fan met someone who was dressed as Lara Croft.

lara_bond
02-11-10, 16:59
I don't believe that story at all. You really expect me to believe that you, a TR fan who's on a TR forum, conveniently decided to go out because you were "bored", and met someone you said they were dressed up as Lara Croft?! Yeah, right! :vlol:

Believe whatever you like. But it happened. And to be honest, I didn't because I was bored. I was dressed up. But I was at a costume party with my friends, and we had nothing else to do. We went trick-or-treating for like 3 hours, and within those 3 hours and 150 houses, ONE person dressed up as Lara.

But hey, I'm not forcing this upon you. It's your opinion, and I respect that.

Mikky
02-11-10, 17:03
Believe whatever you like. But it happened. And to be honest, I didn't because I was bored. I was dressed up. But I was at a costume party with my friends, and we had nothing else to do. We went trick-or-treating for like 3 hours, and within those 3 hours and 150 houses, ONE person dressed up as Lara.

But hey, I'm not forcing this upon you. It's your opinion, and I respect that.

And I respect you for respecting me. :hug:

If I met someone who was dressed as Lara, I would so take a picture. :p I would certainly think of it as a huge coincidence since I'm such a huge TR fan, so I would no doubt take a picture. :p

lara_bond
02-11-10, 17:50
If I met someone who was dressed as Lara, I would so take a picture.

Remember, she looked nothing like Lara. If it was authentic, I would've whipped my phone out ASAP. And she was dressed as "Lerah Croft" anyway :p.