PDA

View Full Version : The 8 pen, New method for text entry

Sgt BOMBULOUS
01-11-10, 19:15
q3OuCR0EpGo

More (http://www.the8pen.com/index.html)

lara c. fan
01-11-10, 19:18
That sounds quite complicated to get used to...

Chocola teapot
01-11-10, 19:23
Rotating to get to your letter... and tapping?

Seems to be the most logical thing I made of that...

Sounds intriguing.

Lemmie
01-11-10, 19:36
I'd like to give it a go. :) Looks like an interesting system.

Lizard of Oz
01-11-10, 19:39
Seems like something I would have to take a while to get used to but maybe will make it faster once you learn it well. IDK!

Love2Raid
01-11-10, 19:41
Looks promising. I am not very familiar with typing on touch-screen devices (like I Phone), so I cant tell if this is actually faster and easier to use than what is already available. But it seems to be really fast. I like it. :)

tampi
01-11-10, 19:46
Available for Android 2.2 tomorrow!
I'm just writing on my mobile. I must try this tomorrow.
She says is easy
I'll see
Thank-you very much for sharingto write with this little keyword is not so easy like she shows with this invent.

It looks like as star trek control panel:cln:

Cochrane
01-11-10, 19:50
Interesting idea, but this is definitely something Id have to see in action before deciding on it. The main problem I see is the huge amount of learning, compared to the normal keyboard.

I also wonder how it would compare to real keyboards on laptops. Not too well, I suppose, but it might be worth a try anyway.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
01-11-10, 19:54
Interesting idea, but this is definitely something Id have to see in action before deciding on it. The main problem I see is the huge amount of learning, compared to the normal keyboard.

I also wonder how it would compare to real keyboards on laptops. Not too well, I suppose, but it might be worth a try anyway.

When you say deciding on it, I expect it would be a supplementary option, and would not supplant normal qwerty type keyboards on mobile devices (just like the regular & reverse Dvorak inputs are an option on most computers).

larson n natla
01-11-10, 20:03
Sticking with the keyboard.

Whilst it may have some errors the system proposed in the video is too complicated. The system itself would result in more errors than fast typing.

Cochrane
01-11-10, 20:06
When you say deciding on it, I expect it would be a supplementary option, and would not supplant normal qwerty type keyboards on mobile devices (just like the regular & reverse Dvorak inputs are an option on most computers).

Indeed. Thats the awesome thing about mobile devices and virtual keyboards, of course: You can choose any you like. Personally, I regularly switch between a german and an english one. The truly interesting ones, however, are the ones for chinese and japanese. Its awesome what is possible there, although it might be even more awesome if I had any clue what it was I was writing there.

Rai
01-11-10, 20:10
I don't even have a mobile that uses a keyboard, lol. This looks like it could take some practice, but maybe once you're used to how it works, it could be faster.

ultima espio
01-11-10, 20:12
Looks confusing and annoying:o

woody543
01-11-10, 20:29
Ooo looks good, would love to try it.

PoseidonsDeath
01-11-10, 20:48
Interesting idea. Not sure if it would work though. Who knows, that may become the default way to type on phones in the future.

KIKO
01-11-10, 23:09
Looks interesting but how about 'drawing' the letters on the touch screen. Easier no?

TRexbait
02-11-10, 00:17
Well, I use my friend's touch screen sometimes, and the typing is horrible on them, this looks faster. But if you were to compare this system with non touch screen phones, it seems significantly slower. I personally have no trouble using my phone's keyboard and can type relatively fast on it.

jjbennett
02-11-10, 00:31
Seems overly complicated to me, and something that to write at speed with would take considerable time.

I still think that the standard numberpad with letters on it works well. Sadly, my HTC Desire will only let me use the keyboard and that is ok, just not a patch on having a numberpad like my old phone had.

PoseidonsDeath
02-11-10, 01:25
Looks interesting but how about 'drawing' the letters on the touch screen. Easier no?

Ever had a Nintendo DS? They tried that. They'd have to have a really advanced "guessing" machine. Not everyone has the same handwriting.

scoopy_loopy
02-11-10, 02:42
I don't know if it would be any faster. I can get two thumbs onto my iPhone keyboard - when turned sideways - and I can type pretty quickly that way.

The Great Chi
02-11-10, 10:27
My problem with this and other compact mobile phones, is that I can hardly see the letters on the display, never mind type them onto small pushbuttons :D

The answer for me in the USA was a Jitterbug phone, which has a large display and big buttons for ease of typing, specifically for those of us having difficulty with a mobile phone using miniture buttons.

I just checked the UK for a similar product and they have just released the Doro big button phone on some of your phone provider companies.

To me this is the easy solution for texting and phoning, ie, bigger controls, bigger display, but still mobile enough to fit in your 'big' pocket ;)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/greatchi/phone1.jpg

NOTE TO ADMIN: If you feel this like too much advertising, then please remove above, cheers Chi :D

EscondeR
02-11-10, 10:44
Meh, a nice handwriting recognition system would be far better.

Tombraiderx08
02-11-10, 10:53
That's actually a pretty neat idea, I'm happy with traditional keys though.

tombraidergale
02-11-10, 11:12
Android, uh? Sadly I don't have it, I'd like this thing on iPhone/iPod Touch, just to try it :p

interstellardave
02-11-10, 11:58
I have a hard time thinking this will ever catch on...

The Great Chi
02-11-10, 12:22
Go big button :tmb:

Eddie Haskell
02-11-10, 12:22
I never text anyone. If they can't speak to me then fahgetaboutit. My vision sucks now, and my bifocals barely cut it for the larger things in life.

Although I will say it is a well thought out solution for this problem. If I could see better I'd learn it.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-11-10, 12:26
I never text anyone. If they can't speak to me then fahgetaboutit. My vision sucks now, and my bifocals barely cut it for the larger things in life.

Although I will say it is a well thought out solution for this problem. If I could see better I'd learn it.

You mean you'll never be like her??

3JyGlqZN5EE

tampi
02-11-10, 12:41
Is not available yet.

In Desire HTC keys are fine. You do not need a microscope to see them.
The problem is the size of the keys with respect to the fingers.
If the phone is of a girl sure it's perfect.
I don't have hands as an aestivate port, but are a bit large and the keys are very small.
I haven't practice either. :o
The truth is that in the video the hand moves too fast.:yik::whi:

Also see yesterday if the option was in Market Place. I don't think download anything that is not on the official site.

I have a hard time thinking this will ever catch on...

What do you mean?:confused:

interstellardave
02-11-10, 12:44
What do you mean?:confused:

I just don't think people will like this...

Eddie Haskell
02-11-10, 12:46
I have 28 nieces and nephews, and most of them are obsessed with what is going on something place else instead of where they are at the moment. At last years family Christmas party my mother (who is 80 years old) went off on them and demanded that they put all the phones away until they left. My brothers and sisters confiscated all of them and placed them in a locked drawer. They were naked now... :D

The party was a smashing success, with more family interaction and fun. And as they left they all stated that at every subsequent party the phones must go.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-11-10, 12:51
I have 28 nieces and nephews, and most of them are obsessed with what is going on something place else instead of where they are at the moment. At last years family Christmas party my mother (who is 80 years old) went off on them and demanded that they put all the phones away until they left. My brothers and sisters confiscated all of them and placed them in a locked drawer. They were naked now... :D

The party was a smashing success, with more family interaction and fun. And as they left they all stated that at every subsequent party the phones must go.

I agree 100%. When I look around me I see it happening... Kids are turning into texting zombies. The typical explanation for why they do it doesn't hold water either... "It's so I can communicate". Texting is easily the most inefficient, impersonal way to communicate. It has a purpose, but that has since evaded today's youth.

tampi
02-11-10, 12:59
I just don't think people will like this...

Ah, thanks. I don't think so. It would change everything to what we are accustomed. May be more comfortable adapting keyboards or other solutions.

There is an App for android that can hand write, but does not work too well yet.
The screen is too small to be able to write long words.:p

However, the voice search application works quite well if there is silence, of course. This type of application itself could implement for writing

Yes, it's like: "Close the TV, please!"
Maybe we will have to remove power from the house when a party

robm_2007
02-11-10, 18:07
if there isnt already an iPhone App, ive always thought that there should be something that let's to you text using a rotary phone method :pi:

Maybe the older crowd would catch onto texting more :)

tampi
02-11-10, 20:16
Cost: 1,13

Comments are not any good.
They say it is very difficult to use.
It takes lots of practice.:(