PDA

View Full Version : Overall, I am happy with the election results

Solice
04-11-10, 04:39
Being an Independent, I like to see a balance of power in government. One party rule, and I mean either party, is bad for the country at large because they tend to do what is best for them, not The People. I know it's not perfect, democracy demands concessions, which can lead to watered down laws and gridlock. But the threat of totalitarian government is a worse evil.

QiX
04-11-10, 04:56
Being not an american citizen, everytime republicans win anything I trully hope to be far from their next target :cool:

Horus-Goddess
04-11-10, 05:59
I agree... I am also an independant. I don't like the far right OR far left... and the way things were going with all the dems in washington was starting to scare and **** me off.

But I have a problem with most politicians in general usually because they sell themselves to be something they're not... and once they've been elected, turn out to be sometimes near opposite of what they claimed to be... Our own president for example claimed he'd bring balance and he ended up being extremely left. -_-

I may not agree with everything the republicans believe in but any balance is better than none.

As for what QiX said... I probably shouldn't even comment on how ignorant that sounds to me lol.

QiX
04-11-10, 06:26
As for what QiX said... I probably shouldn't even comment on how ignorant that sounds to me lol.

Given republican's standards regarding foreign affairs would you expect any different?

Mad Tony
04-11-10, 11:32
Given republican's standards regarding foreign affairs would you expect any different?Yes because Republican governments just nuke every country in sight...

I'm still waiting for that invasion of Iran people said was gonna happen like 6 years ago.

interstellardave
04-11-10, 11:39
In the United States government inaction is usually better than any actions that are taken. Gridlock, while bad in theory, is at least not actively harmful most of the time.

Anniversary Lara
04-11-10, 11:52
Considering I want to go to America soon, I surely hope that they will not mess up the health care Obama pulled through :o

Horus-Goddess
04-11-10, 14:05
Doesn't sound like it's going to happen any time soon seeing as Obama's got this set date in his head about when to pull us all out of there. :whi:

I also don't like the health care **** they've put into action but that's me... =_=

Cochrane
04-11-10, 14:07
In the United States government inaction is usually better than any actions that are taken. Gridlock, while bad in theory, is at least not actively harmful most of the time.

Yeah, it's not like there are any problems that need fixing in the US right now, right?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
04-11-10, 14:24
Yeah, it's not like there are any problems that need fixing in the US right now, right?

This is what can make governments huge, and in turn grow crippling deficits... When those in charge lose sight of when a problem requires government intervention. In the US, the way states are run is a good indication of this. A state like California which has always had a liberal government, has a government program for EVERYTHING, and they're in a serious budget crisis. Compare that to a conservative state like TX, which has no deficit problems to speak of. Not to say TX is perfect, because we have our share of issues (mostly education related), but at least we're not broke.

Alpharaider47
04-11-10, 14:30
Given republican's standards regarding foreign affairs would you expect any different?

That's not true. You don't see the US invading all of it's enemies do you? North Korea and Iran are still standing and there are no US troops fighting inside their borders :whi: If republicans were truly how you suggest that might be different. They have their problems but they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be... well ok, they weren't. I don't know about now or if I care anymore- both sides suck.

interstellardave
04-11-10, 15:18

Yeah, and when government "fixes" things they usuall become worse... or other problems are created. Plus the problems that need fixing are usually created by government interference in the first place.

That's my 2 cents as a lifelong american. I have neither the time or inclination to debate specific issues, mind you, and there are always exceptions... but in most cases I think a pull-back of government interference will fix a lot of our ills, rather than always adding layer after layer of regulation, taxation, oversight, etc.

Cochrane
04-11-10, 15:26
But even pulling back government interference won’t happen without a congress that approves laws to that effect.

interstellardave
04-11-10, 15:34
Yes, but the inclination of both parties is that the government should DO something; that they are responsible for the solution in the form of new beaurocracy, but not in the form of "pulling back". Since I think that makes things worse, in general, the logical best thing is for neither party to be fully in power. If that means things don't get done I'm happy with that when I think that what they would do would be worse than doing nothing!

Of course the other option--which is still in play, mind you--would be for both parties to work together on something reasonable and not too far out there in either direction. That might be the ideal process; it just seems to never happen.