PDA

View Full Version : Ouch.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
04-11-10, 21:12
Just got one of my wisdom teeth pulled... The anesthetic is starting to wear off and it's starting to hurt. Anyone else have this done? I've been chewing on various pieces of gauze for 3 hours because the dentist has me terrified of breaking the clot. Needless to say I can't wait for this to be over...

StefanJ94
04-11-10, 21:15
Yep I have one of my wisdom teeth pulled. Luckly I had no problems, nor pain afterwards even though the tooth was broken into peaces inside :o

Uzi master
04-11-10, 21:16
perhaps you should watch what your eating?:p

I mean, turkeys, super-sized burgers, soilent green, tisk tisk:tea:

Alpharaider47
04-11-10, 21:18
Well, I haven't had any wisdom teeth pulled, however, I have had a molar pulled. It ended up breaking up into three or so pieces and they had to get in there and remove everything one at a time. They were actually surprised I didn't feel anything before, considering there was a huge hole in it. Anyhow long story short, I didn't feel much, if any, pain when the anesthetics wore off.

Love2Raid
04-11-10, 21:19
Yeah, I have had two of em extracted. Luckily my dentist convinced me of getting them out early (they weren´t causing me any trouble), so they got out easily and I didn´t have any pain afterwards and minimal bleeding.

I would say drink a lot (nothing too cold or hot) and have some pain medication if you can´t take the pain. It should go away soon.

Cochrane
04-11-10, 21:20
I had three of them removed. For two it was bad, for one it was no problem at all. If you have some mild, prescription-free painkillers in the house, those ought to help. Otherwise, try to avoid food and drink except for plain water and soft stuff that doesn’t really need chewing. And watch some TV shows on DVD for distraction. At least that’s what worked for me…

interstellardave
04-11-10, 21:23
If it's still bleeding a teabag (may want to wet it quickly first) in place of gauze helps the clotting process.

Eddie Haskell
04-11-10, 21:27
Whatever you do do not remove the clot. Dry socket is the most painful thing a human being can ever experience. Trust me, I am one who can speak to pain everywhere on the body.

Also I allowed a wisdom tooth to completely disintegrate on its own. Yep, I fear dentists, particularly the military ones.

Also I should point out that I had 14 teeth knocked out when I was last wounded. And that was the least of my worries.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
04-11-10, 21:30
Whatever you do do not remove the clot. Dry socket is the most painful thing a human being can ever experience. Trust me, I am one who can speak to pain everywhere on the body.

Also I allowed a wisdom tooth to completely disintegrate on its own. Yep, I fear dentists, particularly the military ones.

Also I should point out that I had 14 teeth knocked out when I was last wounded. And that was the least of my worries.

What do you mean "remove the clot"? The jelly like substance in the hole? I'm trying to go to heroic efforts to leave it the hell alone (I think the human tongue might be the most curious entity to ever exist). I guess by "remove", this is something you have to try to do?

Eddie Haskell
04-11-10, 21:32
What do you mean "remove the clot"? The jelly like substance in the hole? I'm trying to go to heroic efforts to leave it the hell alone (I think the human tongue might be the most curious entity to ever exist). I guess by "remove", this is something you have to try to do?

That's it, it feels exactly like the cranberry sauce from the can. Leave it alone. :o

TRfan23
04-11-10, 21:33
I haven't had any teeth pulled out but my sister has, she got a towel and shoved an end in her mouth and grinded her teeth on it. She had about 4 teeth out, and she looked like vampire chewing on a towel ;)

I wish I took a picture :p

IceColdLaraCroft
04-11-10, 21:36
I remember the glorious amount of sleep I got thanks to the vicodin I was on zzzzz mmmm..i'll take yours if you don't want it :)

Catracoth
04-11-10, 21:38
I had all four wisdom teeth removed at once.
I thought it was the most fun experience. :p

Being high on laughing gas totally messed up my head.

larafan25
04-11-10, 21:39
I had all four wisdom teeth removed at once.
I thought it was the most fun experience. :p

Being high on laughing gas totally messed up my head.

I get laughing gas just for fillings.:pi:

Miharu
04-11-10, 21:48

We don't even have laughing gas in the UK just anesthetic...

I've had 4 fillings in my life time and the 3 that I had used anesthetic...the anesthetic needle really hurts...although you can choose not to have it, but I'm a wimp. :o

larafan25
04-11-10, 21:49
We don't even have laughing gas in the UK just anesthetic...

I've had 4 fillings in my life time and the 3 that I had used anesthetic...the anesthetic needle really hurts...although you can choose not to have it, but I'm a wimp. :o

I'm a wimp so I won't get the a needle.:p

Love2Raid
04-11-10, 21:50
Really?

I once had to do 3 fillings at once (yeah, I know >_>) and my dentist asked me if I wanted local anaesthesia (I don't think dentists use N2O gas here). But I told him that it wasn't necessary. :cool:

I sure as hell regretted that decision some minutes later. :vlol:

Liara
04-11-10, 21:55
I once had to do 3 fillings at once (yeah, I know >_>) and my dentist asked me if I wanted local anaesthesia (I don't think dentists use N2O gas here). But I told him that it wasn't necessary. :cool:

But fillings aren't supposed to hurt, right? It's just scrapping the cavity and filling the tooth in. You don't touch the nerve.

Anyways, as a kid I used to love going to the dentist's, but now I developed some sort of fear. I'm too scared to go there and fix my cracked tooth...

@Sarge: Hope you'll feel better! Feel free to rage/yell at random people on the internet if it helps. :D

Love2Raid
04-11-10, 21:57
I think it depends on how deep the cavity is. The drilling itself is quite unpleasant but the worst part is the rinsing. Aaah!

Dark Lugia 2
04-11-10, 22:36
Keep the gauze in your mouth and dont even try to chew it too hard imo.. the gauze will rub against where your teeth have come out. And dont re-use used gauze if you run out - easy infection there!

Hope the pain and discomfort goes away soon :/ I had 4 teeth taken out to make room for braces, It was only 2 years ago and I cant remember how it felt. :o It felt like it bealed up very quickly. and yeah the blood clot does feel like cranberry juice, bleh! :p

larafan25
04-11-10, 22:46
Really?

I've probably had about 20 fillings in my lifetime, I have pretty bad teeth as well I used to grind my teeth, however when I was a little kid I ate so much candy which caused a lot of cavities.:/

I once had to have 4 teeth pulled at once, that required a needle, and I screamed, and the door had to be closed.

Ward Dragon
04-11-10, 22:50
Have you tried putting an icepack on your cheek? I had all four wisdom teeth removed at once when I was younger and the icepack really worked. But then again I was young enough that the wisdom teeth hadn't fully developed yet (no deep roots) so it was probably a lot easier for me :o

Squibbly
04-11-10, 23:28
I've heard getting wisdom teeth pulled is a terrible experience. I wouldn't know personally, because for some reason, mine don't exist. I never had any grow in, and nothing shows up in xrays (had some done only a month ago). My dentist says it's very odd and I should be thankful for it. From the stories I've heard, I certainly am. Maybe I'm just more evolved than the rest of you. :ton:

Keep yourself doped up on painkillers, I guess. :p

*laralover*
05-11-10, 00:03
I recently started going back to the dentist for alot of work on my teeth. I had a wisdom tooth that was in pieces literaly and they had real trouble yanking that last bit out :p I took a few painkillers and was ok but i had to watch what i ate over the following week. Infact i had some root canal today 4 jags and i almost fell asleep :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-11-10, 02:35
Clot seems to be pretty well set. Hopefully by the morning it will be solid enough that I won't have to be worried about it constantly.

If you want to practice medicine, but never want to worry about having to be held accountable for anything, be a military doctor! :p I had some dental work done when I was in the Army as well... Most of it turned out ok, but I can imagine some aren't always quite as lucky.

Miharu
05-11-10, 05:56
But fillings aren't supposed to hurt, right? It's just scrapping the cavity and filling the tooth in. You don't touch the nerve.

Anyways, as a kid I used to love going to the dentist's, but now I developed some sort of fear. I'm too scared to go there and fix my cracked tooth...

@Sarge: Hope you'll feel better! Feel free to rage/yell at random people on the internet if it helps. :D

As someone said it can depend, it depends on the extent of how much filling etc. is needed. I think drilling is the painful bit, I don't know but the thought of them drilling a hole in your tooth doesn't sound painless.

I'm actually the opposite of you when it comes to fear I used to be petrified of the dentists because the biggest thing I was scared of...was FILLINGS. That's the only thing I was terrified of, all those horror stories you hear didnt startle me it was just the thought of getting a filling.

But of course I had my first 3 fillings very recently and now it just feels like standard procedure.

Liara
05-11-10, 09:29
I wouldn't know personally, because for some reason, mine don't exist. I never had any grow in, and nothing shows up in xrays (had some done only a month ago). My dentist says it's very odd and I should be thankful for it. From the stories
I'm pretty much the same. I kept expecting them to grow and give me that awful pain I heard my sibling talking about, but they never did. I sure hope I won't be in for a surprise and have one spontaneously start growing one day. (I understand that's actually a possibility at my age. :pi:)

I'm actually the opposite of you when it comes to fear I used to be petrified of the dentists because the biggest thing I was scared of...was FILLINGS. That's the only thing I was terrified of, all those horror stories you hear didnt startle me it was just the thought of getting a filling.

Heh, having my fillings done used to be nothing compared to what my dentist used to talk about. She would scare the hell out of me by saying things like she'd cut off my tongue if I moved an inch. Well, I was a kid back then, so I believed anything.

Dennis's Mom
05-11-10, 11:55
I'm sorry for your pain. I can give no advice, since my teeth are almost perfect, but it sounds like you've got some good advice here.

If you need labor advice, though, I stand at the ready. :D

MiCkiZ88
05-11-10, 12:35
Just looking at a thread about dental care is creeping me out.. Never had mine pulled out. Am lucky enough to have them fit in, but the last dentist appointment seems to have given me an re occurring infection to one of the teeth. It hurts like a motha.. but is NOTHING compared to root canal, so.. :p

Sorry to hear about your pain.

scremanie
05-11-10, 13:06
Now I'm scared.

Thanks. :pi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-11-10, 14:43
Actually things have been remarkably smooth so far. Day 2, and there is no swelling and I haven't even taken pain medication (at all). Hopefully the worst of it is over :)

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 14:46
Actually things have been remarkably smooth so far. Day 2, and there is no swelling and I haven't even taken pain medication (at all). Hopefully the worst of it is over :)

I'm glad to hear that :hug: xx

scremanie
05-11-10, 14:47
For some reason I just pictured you falling to the floor in a fit of pain, just after you posted this... :pi:

\Tomb Raider/
05-11-10, 14:53
i had all of them taken out at once...then after i wanted to cut my head off..and rather go through child birth instead of pain on my head..but i cant cause im not a woman

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-11-10, 15:07
For some reason I just pictured you falling to the floor in a fit of pain, just after you posted this... :pi:

And I picture you, sitting at a computer... scremanie-ing :tmb:

Legend 4ever
05-11-10, 20:35
I always wonder why so many people have their wisdom teeth pulled out. Is that like obligatory in the US? I would just think that you don't have to do it unless they're making a problem, but people seem to be getting rid of them as soon as they start growing.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-11-10, 20:40
I always wonder why so many people have their wisdom teeth pulled out. Is that like obligatory in the US? I would just think that you don't have to do it unless they're making a problem, but people seem to be getting rid of them as soon as they start growing.

It had a big cavity in it and it which got food stuck all the time, and was generally a pain in the ass. Also, when he went to do a filling in the tooth next to it, he found the decay had spread from the Wisdom tooth, so the longer I let it go, the worse it would have been.

Legend 4ever
05-11-10, 20:57
It had a big cavity in it and it which got food stuck all the time, and was generally a pain in the ass. Also, when he went to do a filling in the tooth next to it, he found the decay had spread from the Wisdom tooth, so the longer I let it go, the worse it would have been.

So it's not something everyone has to do if there is no problem?

Squibbly
05-11-10, 21:03
If there's no problem at all, then you wouldn't have to get them removed, but the thing is that when they start growing in, it's hard to say how much of a problem they will cause before it's too late and then you're forced to have them removed or live with a lot of pain.
Xrays are usually able to give dentists a pretty good idea if the patient is going to need to have them removed or not, but often say anyway to have them taken out to be on the safe side. Better sooner than later if they are going to cause issues.

Our mouths aren't sized enough to accept wisdom teeth, so when they do grow in, they push into the other teeth and cause terrible pain. Of course, there are some people that don't have this problem, but many do.

Legend 4ever
05-11-10, 21:13
If there's no problem at all, then you wouldn't have to get them removed, but the thing is that when they start growing in, it's hard to say how much of a problem they will cause before it's too late and then you're forced to have them removed or live with a lot of pain.
Xrays are usually able to give dentists a pretty good idea if the patient is going to need to have them removed or not, but often say anyway to have them taken out to be on the safe side. Better sooner than later if they are going to cause issues.

Our mouths aren't sized enough to accept wisdom teeth, so when they do grow in, they push into the other teeth and cause terrible pain. Of course, there are some people that don't have this problem, but many do.

I was asking this because mine have been showing for a year or even two now but are not even close to being out yet. And since my mouth is very small I kinda worry. Maybe the fact that I'm naturally missing all no.5(second premolar) teeth will help me here, so I won't need to pull my wisdom teeth out. I already have 24 teeth and I'll have 26 with these 2. Do people have wisdom teeth in the upper jaw? Cause I don't. I wonder how people who have 32 teeth live their lives.

Squibbly
05-11-10, 21:26
I was asking this because mine have been showing for a year or even two now but are not even close to being out yet. And since my mouth is very small I kinda worry. Maybe the fact that I'm naturally missing all no.5(second premolar) teeth will help me here, so I won't need to pull my wisdom teeth out. I already have 24 teeth and I'll have 26 with these 2. Do people have wisdom teeth in the upper jaw? Cause I don't. I wonder how people who have 32 teeth live their lives.

Yes, wisdom teeth grow in the upper jaw as well. I guess you're lucky. :) I don't have any wisdom teeth at all, not even on the bottom.

Have you had xrays recently? If not, I would have them done so you can find out if you'll need to have your wisdom teeth extracted or not.

Dennis's Mom
06-11-10, 04:37
I have 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth with no problems. The last one never developed. I've had dentists occasionally try to get me to have the unmatched one removed--it's on the top and they think it will "fall" with no bottom mate--but I'm 48 now, at least halfway done with life. It's done almost nothing in 48 years; I'm not too worried about the next 48.

Glad to hear day 2 was better, Craig. :tmb: