PDA

View Full Version : Keep Your Pets Happy & Safe This Bonfire Night ^_^

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 11:29
I saw this great article and thought I'd share it, I already do all of these and it really does make a difference:

General advice
Where possible, keep your pets indoors in a safe and secure environment. Closing all doors and blacking out windows will help to reduce the impact of the loud bangs and flashing lights of fireworks. Background noise also works as a great distraction; a switched on TV or radio will help to muffle the noise and reduce the visual impact of fireworks.

Dogs
Walking your dog in daylight hours will reduce their exposure to loud fireworks – after all, their hearing is much more sensitive than ours. Set a good example by ignoring the fireworks to make it clear that there is nothing to be afraid of, avoiding making a fuss or getting angry will also help to enforce this. Keep them busy and entertained and try not to leave them on their own for too long.

Cats
Make sure you lock your cat flap once your cat is indoors, and that they have somewhere to hide if it does become too much. Don’t try to tempt them out, this will only increase stress levels – an open wardrobe or cupboard will work perfectly as a cosy hideaway!

Smaller animals
For smaller animals, partially cover any cages, pens or aviaries with a blanket to try and ensure one area is, at least partially, sound-proofed – make sure they can still see out though. Ensure any caged animals have plenty of extra bedding for them to burrow and hide in.

Wild animals
Bonfire night is also a tough time for your local wildlife. Why not help them out by picking up any firework debris and always disturb your bonfire before you light it to give hedgehogs and other wild creatures a chance to flee before the flames arrive.

Article by JustForPets.

TombOfRaiders
05-11-10, 12:14
Nah, I'm strapping my dog to a firework. :)

j/k :D

Underworld2008
05-11-10, 12:25
What a wonderful thread!:tmb:

1 of my 2 dogs hides in a dark place when fire works go off. We found its best to leave her until they stop, she comes out when she feels okay, we do attend to her to make sure she's okay and make sure she's got water of course! The other dog doesn't even care haha

Apathetic
05-11-10, 12:45
what's bonfire night?

Another Lara
05-11-10, 12:49
what's bonfire night?

It's the one night of the year when we get to celebrate a Catholic gang (most famous member being Guy Fawkes) trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament, but who got caught and executed... amateurs! :rolleyes:

An effigy of Guy Fawkes is usually made and thrown onto a bonfire (even though he was hung, drawn and quartered in real life!)... fireworks are set off and kids get to play with sparklers... all in all a fun noisy night... except for pets! :o

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 14:00
Nah, I'm strapping my dog to a firework. :)

j/k :D

If you do you'll get spanked :vlol: In the bad way :pi:

What a wonderful thread!:tmb:

1 of my 2 dogs hides in a dark place when fire works go off. We found its best to leave her until they stop, she comes out when she feels okay, we do attend to her to make sure she's okay and make sure she's got water of course! The other dog doesn't even care haha
Thanks ^_^

Yeah 3 of mine run and hide under the bed and they shake :o Yeah there's not much you can do but make sure they have everything they need and a place to hide. I'm going to see the firework display we have here tomorrow for a few hours, but I'll primp their beds up so they can snuggle up and hide. My other animals aren't bothered thankfully.

ultima espio
05-11-10, 14:09
My Dog didn't mind them at all last year, but this year she hides behind us when they go off. She doesn't cry or anything, but it's quite cute:p

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 14:10
My Dog didn't mind them at all last year, but this year she hides behind us when they go off. She doesn't cry or anything, but it's quite cute:p

Yeah, its so sweet when they hide behind you and try and cuddle you :p

Rivendell
05-11-10, 14:14
It's the one night of the year when we get to celebrate a Catholic gang (most famous member being Guy Fawkes) trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament, but who got caught and executed... amateurs! :rolleyes:

:D

igonge
05-11-10, 14:24
I always keep my cats in on bonfire night. They get so jumpy when they're indoors so I can't imagine what it would be like if they were outdoors :p

Rai
05-11-10, 18:11
My Kimi is by the window as usual, she doesn't seem fazed by them, in fact I think she's watching them :p.

But good thread and advice hayley :tmb:

Neteru
05-11-10, 19:11
It's been seven years since my dog died and I am still jumping with the fireworks going off right now, waiting for him to try to climb all over me in terror.

I would still rejoice were fireworks banned for all those other pets who get so terrified by them.

Rivendell
05-11-10, 19:36
I went to a display this evening, and someone had taken their pet dog along. Words failed me. It sat there quite happily though, admittedly.

the ancient
05-11-10, 19:40
Thanks for the info :D

touchthesky
05-11-10, 19:42
Feel sorry for all the hedgehogs :(

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 20:34
For those who thanked me, there's really no need to :hug: I like hearing about what everyone's pets are doing as well :p When I left home for my dad's 2 of them seemed pretty calm but one had her head buried underneath a cushion and the other was shaking and cowering. Bless :o

@vicky - yeah so do I :( The poor darlin's.

marla_biggs
05-11-10, 21:05
Feel sorry for all the hedgehogs :(

Why's that?

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 21:10
Why's that?

Because right now they're hibernating -- in piles of leaves/garden litter -- which are made into bonfires. They're usually burnt alive if not spotted.

marla_biggs
05-11-10, 21:11
How awful :(

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 21:16
Yep :(

Underworld2008
05-11-10, 21:18
Because right now they're hibernating -- in piles of leaves/garden litter -- which are made into bonfires. They're usually burnt alive if not spotted.

That is awful :( Poor things! I'd always check if I actually cared about this "holiday". I think its awful, I mean think of the wildlife!!! I don't mind bonfires, but all the bangs...i hate it! Not to mention all the empty "fireworks" which fall to the ground and left. They go on till about 1am here :( I hate hate hate hate hate it!!

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 21:24
That is awful :( Poor things! I'd always check if I actually cared about this "holiday". I think its awful, I mean think of the wildlife!!! I don't mind bonfires, but all the bangs...i hate it! Not to mention all the empty "fireworks" which fall to the ground and left. They go on till about 1am here :( I hate hate hate hate hate it!!

I know :( I celebrate it because where I live we're very traditional and all for communtiy spirit -- but if my dad lights our own bonfire I personally check the leaf litter for wildlife.

Trigger_happy
06-11-10, 00:19
They'll all survive- just don't do anything silly and check any piles you plan to burn and its all good. I'm a little disappointed I'm not doing anything this Bonfire night, but maybe tomorrow.