PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham Man Dies After Overdose of Caffeine Powder

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-11-10, 17:24
Michael Lee Bedford was at a party where he consumed two spoonfuls of caffeine powder. He later died. A coroner has ruled that a caffeine overdose killed him (CBC).

Of critical note is this: a manufacturers warning indicated that one should take no more than 1/16th of a teaspoon. Bedford swallowed the equivalent of seventy energy drinks in seconds. This instance merely adds to growing concern around the availability and growing range of caffeine-laced products, many of which are packaged to appeal to a young audience. Many people fail to realize that caffeine is a legal drug which, when consumed in too high a dose at one time, can cause dramatic consequences.

A man recently cited caffeine intoxication in his defense at a murder trial (Time Healthland). Judging by the list of symptoms which constitutes legitimate intoxication, such an event may be plausible. One must experience five or more of the following: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, diuresis (need to pee more frequently), uncontrollable jerking motions, tachycardia or arrhythmia, muscle twitches, flushed face, stomach problems and rambling thoughts or speech. Sound familiar? Then you may have experienced intoxication after probably two or three cups of brewed coffee taken in short space of time (Healthland Time). These figures may help put into perspective just how much caffeine Bedford consumed.

REF (http://www.huliq.com/10020/caffeine-killer-nottingham-man-dies-after-overdose-caffeine-powder)

What do you guys think of this? Personally, I find it sort of hard to feel sorry for him. You should do a little research before ingesting anything... The consequences, however dire, are still your fault.

Legend of Lara
05-11-10, 17:25
SEVENTY energy drinks!? :yik:

._.

Chocola teapot
05-11-10, 17:30
How... unfortunate.

tampi
05-11-10, 17:30
I think it doesn't kill the poison if not the dose. As is already known.

And also I think I like coffee and it's necessary to be careful with everything.

interstellardave
05-11-10, 17:38
I think enough is done already to protect stupid people from doing stupid things. Clearly it was all his fault.

Uzi master
05-11-10, 17:39
I'll just stick to my coca cola thanks, no powder for me.

jjbennett
05-11-10, 17:41
It's just another example of natural selection weeding out the idiots. Mind you, probably didn't have too long left before he was gunned down in Nottingham :whi:

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 17:43
Oh wow, how terrible :( I wonder why he took caffeine powder anyway?

Croft_Original
05-11-10, 17:43
This is what I was wondering, why do people want to take it anyway? Why not just drink strong coffee?:confused:

Croft.

Dark Lugia 2
05-11-10, 17:45
I didnt know you could die like that! :S

Mind you, probably didn't have too long left before he was gunned down in Nottingham :whi:

What a bunch of tripe. :p I live in Nottingham and that sounds ridiculous. Never heard of gun crime being an issue here.

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 17:49

What a bunch of tripe. :p I live in Nottingham and that sounds ridiculous. Never heard of gun crime being an issue here.

Is that where Centre Parks and Sherwood forest is?

Lara's Nemesis
05-11-10, 17:50
This is what I was wondering, why do people want to take it anyway? Why not just drink strong coffee?:confused:

Croft.

Probably because it is more convenient than drinking coffee, they have been selling caffeine tablets for years. Didn't realise you could get it in powder tho.

Edit: Duh me, he must have ground down a lot of these type of tablets.

http://i56.************/2hphc7s.jpg

Harmless product if used properly but some people will abuse it leading to tragedies like this.

igonge
05-11-10, 17:57
I think enough is done already to protect stupid people from doing stupid things. Clearly it was all his fault.

Yep :tmb:

Dark Lugia 2
05-11-10, 18:00
Is that where Centre Parks and Sherwood forest is?

Dunno about Centre Parks, but Sherwood Forest is.

Croft_Original
05-11-10, 18:01
Probably because it is more convenient than drinking coffee, they have been selling caffeine tablets for years. Didn't realise you could get it in powder tho.

http://i56.************/2hphc7s.jpg

Harmless product if used properly but some people will abuse it leading to tragedies like this.

Still seems a bit wierd to me I'd rather enjoy drinking the coffee first rather than just have the caffeine hit without it.:) And yep, some people just don't engage their brain first:(

Croft.

jjbennett
05-11-10, 18:04

Around here the term "Shottingham" is commonplace :o Im from Derby by the way mate.

CerebralAssassin
05-11-10, 18:08
this is...I.....

yeah...why would anyone take pills/powder over the real thing?(coffee).coffee tastes great..plus the high you get from the pills is more "artificial" (hard to explain) and doesn't last as long.

Lara's Nemesis
05-11-10, 18:14
Still seems a bit wierd to me I'd rather enjoy drinking the coffee first rather than just have the caffeine hit without it.:) And yep, some people just don't engage their brain first:(

Croft.

I agree, I would rather drink the coffee myself but I think you would have to drink a lot to get the same effect as these type of pills.

I'm not sure who these things are marketed at anyway, they might help people who have to drive late at night I suppose.

tampi
05-11-10, 18:15
We often do inexplicable things.

I once witnessed how a known (" a half friend") that began to take puffs on a cigarette until he almost died.

His face changed and became white.. white... white...

Evan C.
05-11-10, 18:23
I am sorry,but stupidity is dangerous than ignorance.

Croft_Original
05-11-10, 18:25
@CerebralAssassin: Should've known you'd prefer the coffee over the powder.;)

I agree, I would rather drink the coffee myself but I think you would have to drink a lot to get the same effect as these type of pills.

I'm not sure who these things are marketed at anyway, they might help people who have to drive late at night I suppose.

I suppose it might come in handy for late night driving, you wouldn't want to drink a lot of coffee then for obvious reasons.:cln:

@tampi: Smoking's something else I don't "get". Yuck:p

Croft.

tomblover
05-11-10, 18:36
Whoa...

I mean, I like energy drinks, but 70 of them?

Whoa.

tampi
05-11-10, 18:37
You're lucky, Croft.
Never touch that. It's completely unnecessary.
Life has enough smoke.

Croft_Original
05-11-10, 18:43
^I've had quite a few friends who were smokers so I've already had enough second hand smoke to last me the rest of my life.:rolleyes:

Croft.

Sir Croft
05-11-10, 19:24
He's definitely not very active now. *don sunglasses, cues intro*

Scurvy
05-11-10, 19:26
I want some caffeine powder :cool:

CerebralAssassin
05-11-10, 20:29
We often do inexplicable things.

I once witnessed how a known (" a half friend") that began to take puffs on a cigarette until he almost died.

His face changed and became white.. white... white...

the first time I did a cig I almost died too:p

xXhayleyroxXx
05-11-10, 20:35
Dunno about Centre Parks, but Sherwood Forest is.

Yeah -- I went there when I was younger ^_^ Nice place! Its about... 5 hours from here I think.

Horus-Goddess
05-11-10, 20:48
Jesus... how awful. Didn't know they had powder stuff like that.

I know here in the US when energy drinks started becoming popular among teens (toward the end of my high school years so I wasn't really interested then) there have been some cases before warnings were slapped on the cans where kids have died from consuming too much...

That and the **** in energy drinks is terrible for your health, not just the high you get from the stuff. Maybe high is the wrong word but you get what I mean.

Stuff like Taurine for one is really bad for your heart...

I can understand why they put warnings on these things, I just wish kids would be smart enough to value their lives.

The only caffiene I consume on a daily basis is coffee, and even then I only have one or two cups of it each morning. Not dark coffee either. :/ And really I don't drink coffee just for waking up lol, I genuinely like the taste.

Just like anything else I think people need to use their heads before consuming anything and realize what the possible risks are. ><

dizzydoil
05-11-10, 20:49
That's alot! I don't eve-

Encore
05-11-10, 23:34
Caffeine powder? I had no idea this existed, what's the exact purpose of it? Beyond giving people overdoses, that is. :p

I drink Red Bull sometimes... I must be super tolerant to caffeine as I never really noticed anything out of the ordinary by drinking it. To me it feels just like drinking a cup of coffee, really. But doctors say it's supposed to be much worst. However, I have very low blood pressure and often I have days with very low energy so I honestly don't think it's that bad for me.

stranger1992
05-11-10, 23:40
AHh how sad. Silly person for having all that powder though. Im living in Leicester at the moment and Ive also heard the term Shottingham. But its one of those things really. You have to actually live there to say something worthwhile about it. Im sure Nottingham is a lovely place when the student nights are not on haha.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-11-10, 12:21
I'm glad to see no one is blaming the manufacturer of the caffeine powder. Even if I am a little unsure WHY such a thing even needs to exist.

peeves
06-11-10, 17:15
This is sad to see the guy die of having to drink many energy drinks and caffeine powder.

Legend of Lara
06-11-10, 17:16
This is sad to see the guy die of having to drink many energy drinks and caffeine powder.

Wha

There were no energy drinks.

peeves
06-11-10, 17:19
Wha

There were no energy drinks.

Didn't it say 70 energy drinks?

Goose
06-11-10, 18:25
Caffeine powder? I had no idea this existed, what's the exact purpose of it? Beyond giving people overdoses, that is. :p

Its abit like ripped fuel, increases your heart rate so you sweat alot, and your metabolism works over time. Helps to lower your body fat %, basically a cheaters way of loosing weight, without doing cardio, and with none of the health benefits (as it actually harms you).

Rai
06-11-10, 18:29
His death just seems so...pointless. How could he not know the limit to take? I feel bad for his family.

voltz
06-11-10, 19:44
Its abit like ripped fuel, increases your heart rate so you sweat alot, and your metabolism works over time. Helps to lower your body fat %, basically a cheaters way of loosing weight, without doing cardio, and with none of the health benefits (as it actually harms you).

That stuff is pretty dangerous to take over time because of the added strain it puts on your heart and it impacts your overall health. I had a driver who was hooked on energy drinks to keep up with his shifting work schedule and just lately I got to talk to him again, he's not looking very healthy at all.

It's just another example of natural selection weeding out the idiots.

Well I know some of you people do get off on this sort of thing, but a life is a life... you're just cheery because it didn't involve yours.

trlestew
06-11-10, 19:47
Didn't it say 70 energy drinks?

The amount of caffeine he took was equivalent to 70 energy drinks.

Melonie Tomb Raider
06-11-10, 20:00
That's sad :(