PDA

View Full Version : Do you differentiate between the terms "gender" and "sex"?

Legend 4ever
08-11-10, 22:41
This is a big issue for a lot of people. Usually when I talk to my friends or acquaintances, especially in languages which don't have separate words for gender and sex (and there are many languages with that unfortunate trait), it is often considered that one's sex and gender are the same and that they are defined by what's between one's legs.

Not only is that not true, but a lot of people, myself included, don't even believe that gender is(only) a sociological component, aka. gender as in "gender roles". I consider gender to be a fully integrated part of a personality, something that is constant, but is sometimes obscure even to one's self until some point in his or her life. Some people use the term "psychological sex" in order to make the topic a bit more obvious to the interlocutor; some even differentiate between gender as in "gender roles" and gender as in "psychological sex".

Also, sex is sometimes indiscernible in humans, because of the mutations of chromosomes and/or ambiguous genitalia in newborn babies, so the existence of the term gender makes it much easier for the people with such problems to define themselves to others and understand that who they are is completely common and that they're not the only ones with that issue.

I had a fight with my friend because he said that a parent should definitely decide, if a child is born with ambiguity of genitalia, what sex the child will be and that doctors should perform the surgery immediately. I think that(and that is an opinion most doctors hold today) that a child should be left as is and then let him or her tell the parents what gender they feel are. They should then go on to perform surgery which will finally make the sex fit the child's gender.

Since my friend believed that both sex and gender are defined by genitalia, he said that a human that already has genitalia of a certain sex should always accept that that is their gender too. Kinda like "Your body tells you there is something wrong with your mind, not the other way around.", which we know is not an accepted way of thinking nowadays. He basically said that transsexual people should be put to mental institutions and that saying "I'm a woman." while having a penis is like saying "I'm Asian." when you're Caucasian.

He also said that if a person born with ambiguous genitalia(pseudo or real hermaphroditism), whose parents had the surgeons perform surgery on while they were still babies are not sane, if they later in life realize that they've been assigned the genitalia of the opposite gender, thus making their sex and gender not match. I regularly meet a lot of people who share the same opinion as this guy and I'm honestly shocked again and again every time. Is this issue so hard to grasp?

larafan25
08-11-10, 22:44
I don't even know what gender is.:/

tombfan91
08-11-10, 22:52
i consider sex to be the biological term for a person. boy or girl. i consider gender to the more psychological.

larafan25
08-11-10, 22:52
i consider sex to be the biological term for a person. boy or girl. i consider gender to the more psychological.

What do you mean by Psychological?

Catracoth
08-11-10, 22:55
'Gender' is used in some parts of the world while 'sex' is used elsewhere. It's just a matter of foreign word usage - not a big deal.

Minty Mouth
08-11-10, 22:58
People seem to forget that the only reason words exits is because we made them. Does gender mean the same as sex? I don't know, what does the dictionary say? We invent words and attribute meanings to them. It's not a linguistic problem, really. The problem is more in the vein of: can this second meaning of 'gender' really be applied, and does it exist.

I believe the general consencus is that Sex is your equipment, and Gender is your psychology.

Cochrane
08-11-10, 22:58
There is no distinction between the words in German, in both cases it translates to "Geschlecht". My favorite online dictionary actually also offers "soziales Geschlecht" (social gender/sex) for gender and "biologisches Geschlecht" (biological gender/sex) for sex, but those are not terms widely used. So I tend to use both terms interchangeably, even if that isn’t technically correct. Sorry.

xcrushterx
08-11-10, 22:59
'Gender' is used in some parts of the world while 'sex' is used elsewhere. It's just a matter of foreign word usage - not a big deal.
No, they mean different things. 'Gender' is the social & cultural differences between each, where as 'sex' is the biological differences.

Personally, it's not something I really pay much attention to, but it's something I am aware of.

Liara
08-11-10, 22:59
All my psychology professors told us to use "gender" instead of "sex" when referring to test subjects, since (apparently) it's more formal or something. So as far as I'm concerned they're more or less synonyms. But I guess it depends in what context you use them.

Catracoth
08-11-10, 23:03
No, they mean different things. 'Gender' is the social & cultural differences between each, where as 'sex' is the biological differences.

Ah, good of you to point that out. :tmb:
I hadn't considered that.

Alpharaider47
08-11-10, 23:05
I tend to distinguish between the two as they were defined to me in my Anthropology class.

CiaKonwerski
08-11-10, 23:43
Wow, you completely read my mind. That is beyond freaky. I wanted to create a thread like this discussing how I have been feeling lately when it comes to this. Ever since I learned that there was a difference between Sex and Gender I have been asking myself lately if my Gender is female. My Sex is male, but I swear that my Gender is female. I do indeed differentiate between the two. I feel as if I act more like a straight female than I do a male. I will go ahead and say it all here, I am attracted to straight guys, not going to lie anymore. But I do not consider myself gay because in my mind I see myself as a female. I have always felt this way really. I have felt that everything I have done in my life, the choices that I have made reflect the choices that a female would make. i have been constantly been being pointed to signs here lately that are drawing me to believe this as true. This thread for instance, I would have never thought of anyone else creating this and I have been thinking about this a lot lately, so is it fate? I also just recently read this out of the blue...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/02/at-george-washington-univ_n_777637.html

But for me it is the opposite. Beyond weird, but I am glad that someone finally made this thread. It is just the oddest thing. So for everyone on here who I have told where I am never going to have a relationship, this is why. It would not be fair to anyone and it is better to isolate myself because there will never be a normal relationship for me. I know I know, who is the one that defines "normal" but yeah...

xXhayleyroxXx
08-11-10, 23:44
I never knew there was a difference -- in animal management classes we can write either on the health check forms and we use them with the same definition.

Forwen
09-11-10, 00:12
I don't care what my 'social gender' is, since I'm lucky enough to live in a time and place where defining this is not necessary for my well-being.

Evan C.
09-11-10, 00:43
IMO:

Sex ---Bio
Gender---Cultural,social

larafan25
09-11-10, 00:48
So how do I know what my gender is?

Rai
09-11-10, 00:57
I don't differentiate. I was taught that the terms 'gender' and 'sex' were the same, they define whether you're male or female. I appreciate that for some, the way they feel about themselves is different to what nature dictated was their gender/sex and also it is medically possible for a baby to be born with both male and female genitalia, it is then their parents' choice whether to bring that child up as male or female, and their 'true' gender could become apparent over time. There are exceptions to the 'rule', but gender and sex are just terms.

Azerutan
09-11-10, 00:57
In Portuguese, we have the two words:
Sex ---> sexo
Gender ---> género

It's the same situation for English, but people here also tend to think both terms mean exactly the same.

:}hello friend
09-11-10, 01:32
I was taught they were the same. I used to think that meaning of sex was adults kissing when I was in first grade.

scoopy_loopy
09-11-10, 03:09
They're the same to me, only sex has the double meaning in that it's also a verb - obviously.

CiaKonwerski
09-11-10, 03:44
So how do I know what my gender is?

Basically, what you perceive yourself as more. Do you see yourself as more of a female or a male? This can be based on the decisions that you make, to things you enjoy doing, to what you are attracted to. There are several different things.

Ward Dragon
09-11-10, 04:29
I had a fight with my friend because he said that a parent should definitely decide, if a child is born with ambiguity of genitalia, what sex the child will be and that doctors should perform the surgery immediately.

I don't know too much about these cases, so I have to ask -- even if the external genitalia is ambiguous, doesn't the baby have internal organs? For example I would think it would be easy to tell with a sonogram if the baby has ovaries or not :o

So for everyone on here who I have told where I am never going to have a relationship, this is why. It would not be fair to anyone and it is better to isolate myself because there will never be a normal relationship for me. I know I know, who is the one that defines "normal" but yeah...

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfectly normal relationship :p If you find the right person, they'll love you for who you are. I don't think you should resign yourself just yet. If you meet the right person and they understand you, then it's up to them if they are willing to take the chance at a relationship. So basically what I'm saying is if you really know and trust somebody and they want a relationship with you, then as long as you are honest, that is being fair :)

I don't care what my 'social gender' is, since I'm lucky enough to live in a time and place where defining this is not necessary for my well-being.

Same here. I still don't understand what it really means to feel like one gender or the other, but my doctor has recently confirmed that I have a significant hormone imbalance so that would probably be why XD This is one of those things where I know I'll probably never understand it, but I accept that other people feel differently.

Ikas90
09-11-10, 05:19
If you have 50% masculine and 50% feminine personality traits, what does that make you?

Capt. Murphy
09-11-10, 05:28
Since my friend believed that both sex and gender are defined by genitalia, he said that a human that already has genitalia of a certain sex should always accept that that is their gender too. Kinda like "Your body tells you there is something wrong with your mind, not the other way around.", which we know is not an accepted way of thinking nowadays. He basically said that transsexual people should be put to mental institutions and that saying "I'm a woman." while having a penis is like saying "I'm Asian." when you're Caucasian.

I agree with that. The part about one should accept what they're born as physically.

Not to put them on the same level, it's just an example of this kind of thinking. Let's say you have a person that has uncontrollable desires to hurt people, or to kill. In their mind it feels good to do what they do, they may even find reasons to justify what they do. Perhaps they WERE "born that way". But that still doesn't make how they think and feel -right.

I'm not saying one particular group is in the wrong here. There are numerous life-styles that travel a hard road in life, yet they choose to still go the way they're headed - despite all of it's complications.

You could say that they don't choose their path... But they don't actually choose to CHANGE their path (in life). So there is always a choice involved. ...somewhere.

As for the hermaphrodite issue. If I had a child that was born that way and I had to decide... Okay. My first thought was to leave them alone and let them grow up how or what they feel they are. Or Divine it.

tombfan91
09-11-10, 06:13
What do you mean by Psychological?

what i meant was who you see yourself inside. so a person in their mind is male and biologically his sex is male. however in some cases their maybe a guy who feels like he is female but biologically his sex is male. I hope that helped a bit more ^_^. guess i was a little too vague lol.

MattTR
09-11-10, 06:26
I'm really glad you pointed this out, I always thought of the two being the same. :o

Can't the two go hand in hand if they are meant to be used to describe oneself as a whole?

Minty Mouth
09-11-10, 08:12
Doesn't the idea of this abstract 'gender' promote sexism? If you are saying that the masculine and feminine gender enjoy different things and think differently, then equality comes up to a rocky road.

Miharu
09-11-10, 08:50
:yik:

Holy crap!!!

:yik:

You learn something new everyday in these forums. :)

Me personally, I thought sex/gender were the exact same thing as in it means whether your a boy or girl through biological(?) means.

Laras Backpack
09-11-10, 09:02
Doesn't the idea of this abstract 'gender' promote sexism? If you are saying that the masculine and feminine gender enjoy different things and think differently, then equality comes up to a rocky road.

In Social Anthropology class we were given the impression that it goes the other way: that the concept of gender is socially constructed and culture specific. This is a really over simplistic way of putting it, but basically by acknowledging that many of the differences we see between the sexes are in fact a product of culture and upbringing rather than biology we as individuals and as communities will be woken up to discrimination. In theory we will realise that the idea of femininity and masculinity are not fixed or predetermined.

Though it is worth noting that gender theorists all have different models in mind when discussing sex and gender. It's worth reading up on.

Legend 4ever
09-11-10, 09:24
Wow, you completely read my mind. That is beyond freaky. I wanted to create a thread like this discussing how I have been feeling lately when it comes to this. Ever since I learned that there was a difference between Sex and Gender I have been asking myself lately if my Gender is female. My Sex is male, but I swear that my Gender is female. I do indeed differentiate between the two. I feel as if I act more like a straight female than I do a male. I will go ahead and say it all here, I am attracted to straight guys, not going to lie anymore. But I do not consider myself gay because in my mind I see myself as a female. I have always felt this way really. I have felt that everything I have done in my life, the choices that I have made reflect the choices that a female would make. i have been constantly been being pointed to signs here lately that are drawing me to believe this as true. This thread for instance, I would have never thought of anyone else creating this and I have been thinking about this a lot lately, so is it fate? I also just recently read this out of the blue...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/02/at-george-washington-univ_n_777637.html

But for me it is the opposite. Beyond weird, but I am glad that someone finally made this thread. It is just the oddest thing. So for everyone on here who I have told where I am never going to have a relationship, this is why. It would not be fair to anyone and it is better to isolate myself because there will never be a normal relationship for me. I know I know, who is the one that defines "normal" but yeah...
Wonderful post. Just be strong and no matter what you do, know that there will always be people who will love you for who you are and support your decisions. And trust me, you can lead a perfectly satisfying life either way.

I don't know too much about these cases, so I have to ask -- even if the external genitalia is ambiguous, doesn't the baby have internal organs? For example I would think it would be easy to tell with a sonogram if the baby has ovaries or not :o

Even if a baby is a false hermaphrodite ie. has ambiguous outer genitalia but has only testicles, that still doesn't mean parents should decide their child should be a boy, because the mind could have already been the opposite of what male genitalia witnesses -- the mind could be female even though the body is male.

And it's the same way with transsexual people with the small difference that there was no ambiguity of genitalia -- the mind and genitalia just formed completely to the opposite due to a lot of factors, one of them being hormone imbalance while the baby was still in the womb.

I'm really glad you pointed this out, I always thought of the two being the same. :o

Can't the two go hand in hand if they are meant to be used to describe oneself as a whole?

I would say yes(I hope I understood your question right).

I guess it's hard for people who haven't been though some of it to understand(like it's hard to explain people that homosexuality is not a choice, because they never had to explain that their heterosexuality isn't a choice).
But it is important to know that gender issues are not equivalent to people who have some kind of psychological illness -- they cannot be fixed in any other way but by reassigning the physical sex of a person. Sure, one can chose to live life ignoring it, but in a lot of cases it leads to suicide in later years or to transitioning at the age of 40, 50 or 60, when a person had already had family and children, which IMO is the unfortunate option.

Ward Dragon
09-11-10, 11:41
Even if a baby is a false hermaphrodite ie. has ambiguous outer genitalia but has only testicles, that still doesn't mean parents should decide their child should be a boy, because the mind could have already been the opposite of what male genitalia witnesses -- the mind could be female even though the body is male.

I'm trying not to get too explicit, but what I was getting at is medically, would issues like urination or menstruation require surgery? Or would the, um, ambiguous body parts be able to function without causing any medical complications?

Legend 4ever
09-11-10, 13:08
I'm trying not to get too explicit, but what I was getting at is medically, would issues like urination or menstruation require surgery? Or would the, um, ambiguous body parts be able to function without causing any medical complications?

That is a good question and I never thought about it. But I'm guessing urination wouldn't be a problem because the urethra would not be affected. I don't even think there are cases where the genitals of both sexes develop. It's usually ie. male genitals with no testicles, but with ovaries or the other way around, but there can be a lot of different issues.

tampi
09-11-10, 15:49
Do not you know that's what you're missing.
Having a language distinguishes things by genre is a poetic concept difficult to explain.
We (in my country) say: "El Sol" or "The Sun" (male gendre) and "La Luna" or "The Moon" (female gendre).
So, with all things. Except some non-gender-ambiguous concepts. What still complicates and enriches the concept male, female and ambiguous of things (all things). (That's why I write so many times articles:o)
This item is not obviously a novel subject.
But heck, I've thought many times about you that you don't use that distinction.

This is a big issue for a lot of people. Usually when I talk to my friends or acquaintances, especially in languages which don't have separate words for gender and sex (and there are many languages with that unfortunate trait), it is often considered that one's sex and gender are the same and that they are defined by what's between one's legs.

Not only is that not true, but a lot of people, myself included, don't even believe that gender is(only) a sociological component, aka. gender as in "gender roles". I consider gender to be a fully integrated part of a personality, something that is constant, but is sometimes obscure even to one's self until some point in his or her life. Some people use the term "psychological sex" in order to make the topic a bit more obvious to the interlocutor; some even differentiate between gender as in "gender roles" and gender as in "psychological sex".

Also, sex is sometimes indiscernible in humans, because of the mutations of chromosomes and/or ambiguous genitalia in newborn babies, so the existence of the term gender makes it much easier for the people with such problems to define themselves to others and understand that who they are is completely common and that they're not the only ones with that issue.

I had a fight with my friend because he said that a parent should definitely decide, if a child is born with ambiguity of genitalia, what sex the child will be and that doctors should perform the surgery immediately. I think that(and that is an opinion most doctors hold today) that a child should be left as is and then let him or her tell the parents what gender they feel are. They should then go on to perform surgery which will finally make the sex fit the child's gender.

He also said that if a person born with ambiguous genitalia(pseudo or real hermaphroditism), whose parents had the surgeons perform surgery on while they were still babies are not sane, if they later in life realize that they've been assigned the genitalia of the opposite gender, thus making their sex and gender not match. I regularly meet a lot of people who share the same opinion as this guy and I'm honestly shocked again and again every time. Is this issue so hard to grasp?

This post is great and intelligent.

And this is quite interesting for me, like other post of the thread.

For me this is the explanation of gender and sex.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2271/sinttulo1ls.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/i/sinttulo1ls.jpg/)

That is, it is not only to distinguish male from female.
If not, moreover, the concept of gender goes beyond the physical barriers of the individual. The concept of gender also has a relationship with the environment and the environment communicates with the individual alike.

While, on the other side sex only instructed us on physical concepts.

I don't know about the other issues.

Legend 4ever
09-11-10, 16:11
I love that image you posted.

tampi
09-11-10, 17:19
I love that image you posted.

Thank you very much

robm_2007
09-11-10, 19:03
Ive filled out applications and forms before, adn they ask (not on the same document), but they have you fill out what your Gender or Sex is.

In that instance, they mean your biological gender/sex, not what you are inside.

Legend 4ever
09-11-10, 19:22
^ Was that in English? Because I've never seen any US application that asked for one's gender. Only sex.

tombfan91
09-11-10, 19:31
If you have 50% masculine and 50% feminine personality traits, what does that make you?

i think that makes you androgynous (sp?)

Horus-Goddess
09-11-10, 19:59
I never truly understood those who struggle with knowing they are the opposite gender from what they were born with biologically, until I met a close friend of mine who I knew over the net for a few years, in person. He is biologially female but I swear to God left and right that he is a he lol. It wasn't until then that I felt I really could understand it. Because before I never really got it. I mean I'm a girl both mentally and physically so it's hard for me to imagine for myself, but I can see how something like this would be for others who struggle with these things their whole life. I couldn't imagine how painful it must be to look in the mirror and know you're something different.

The thing that bothers me is that so much of society is not usually accepting of these things. It seems to be getting better as more awareness is brought forth, but there are still idiots in the world and that will never change. lol

robm_2007
09-11-10, 20:40
^ Was that in English? Because I've never seen any US application that asked for one's gender. Only sex.

yes, they were in English. i do see mostly it ask for Sex, but i have come across some that say Gender. maybe they were dated forms or something.

Rai
09-11-10, 21:11
For reference, here are the definitions as given by Dictionary.com

Gender (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gender), in particular:

3. informal the state of being male, female, or neuter
and

Pronunciation: /ˈjen-dər/
Function: n
1 : Sex 1
2 : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

gender gen·der (jěn'dər)

n.
The sex of an individual, male or female, based on reproductive anatomy.
Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture

Sex (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Sex)

in particular for the purpose of this thread:

World English Dictionary
sex (sɛks) http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html)— n 1. the sum of the characteristics that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive function 2. either of the two categories, male or female, into which organisms are placed on this basis

Legend 4ever
09-11-10, 22:16
The thing that bothers me is that so much of society is not usually accepting of these things. It seems to be getting better as more awareness is brought forth, but there are still idiots in the world and that will never change. lol

True. When I was explaining gender identity disorder and generally the concept of gender to this guy, he just dismissively said "Oh, they're just gay." I admit, a few years ago, I would have started a fight with him. Recently I realized that I cannot educate everyone, especially someone who doesn't want to accept it. I can just ostracize them from my life because I consider them dangerous to be around and feel like they're constraining me.

CiaKonwerski
10-11-10, 02:18
OKAY, so another weird sign has come about. Not only from the link I posted which I found on the net randomly, and this thread being created. Now today I was flipping through channels and went to see what was on the CW. The Tyra Show was on and the guest star was Isis. She/he was a model on Top Model a few season back being trans-gendered. She talked about what it was like etc. I seriously believe these are signs especially since I have been thinking about this A LOT lately. Are they good or bad? Are they telling me that it is okay? I am so confused.

robm_2007
10-11-10, 03:39
OKAY, so another weird sign has come about. Not only from the link I posted which I found on the net randomly, and this thread being created. Now today I was flipping through channels and went to see what was on the CW. The Tyra Show was on and the guest star was Isis. She/he was a model on Top Model a few season back being trans-gendered. She talked about what it was like etc. I seriously believe these are signs especially since I have been thinking about this A LOT lately. Are they good or bad? Are they telling me that it is okay? I am so confused.

Are you questioning whether you are really a girl on the inside?

it can be okay to the individual person, but it can be not okay to the outside observer (ie family and some parts of society).

Legend 4ever
10-11-10, 10:19

Being who you are is never bad (unless you want to kill or rape that is).
If people don't accept you for who you are they don't deserve to stay in your life. I think you should think this through and then decide what to do.

Zelda master
10-11-10, 13:13
I dont see any difference, I understand what is meant... However whenever someone asks my Sex I always anwser: "Yes please:D"... Then never see that one comming though :pi:

Squibbly
10-11-10, 16:06
I see a difference, a big one.

One's biological sex is present at birth, but psychological gender can be very different to what one can see in the mirror. Some are quite literally born with the opposite gender's brain, hence feeling "trapped" in their own body.

Sex is the biological definition, but gender is how one identifies who they really are.

moodydog
10-11-10, 16:11
if you differentiate sex... you get... boy + girl :p

robwolf666
10-11-10, 16:25
Do you differentiate between the terms "gender" and "sex"?

Yes and no, lol. :)

It really depends on the context in which the word "sex" is being used.

larson n natla
10-11-10, 17:17
SEX - either the male or female division of a species, esp. as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.

Gender - sex: "the feminine gender. "

(Taken from a dictionary)

They both mean the same thing so it is quite redundant to see them differently.

It is like an English person calling a ball a football whilst an American person refers to it as a soccer ball. Both the same ;)

Squibbly
10-11-10, 17:21
SEX - either the male or female division of a species, esp. as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.

Gender - sex: "the feminine gender. "

(Taken from a dictionary)

They both mean the same thing so it is quite redundant to see them differently.

It is like an English person calling a ball a football whilst an American person refers to it as a soccer ball. Both the same ;)

It's often poor taste to quote one's self, but:

One's biological sex is present at birth, but psychological gender can be very different to what one can see in the mirror. Some are quite literally born with the opposite gender's brain, hence feeling "trapped" in their own body.

Sex is the biological definition, but gender is how one identifies who they really are.

They have different meanings. I can't understand how anyone would argue otherwise.

robm_2007
10-11-10, 17:31
^ Because thats how we (or at least I) was taught in school. There was never any mention in school (until college) that acknowledged that a person can have two genders, and not be hermaphroditic.

i understand the reasoning, behind distinguishing to two terms, but you'll have to forgive me if I dont use them correctly. and, i dont think it would be a normal or polite thing to ask someone what their gender is, and mean it in the context of if their biological self matches their internal mindset of themselves.

Legend 4ever
10-11-10, 17:31
They do not mean the same. You do not use a dictionary on this because it's not a linguistic term. Better pick up a sociology, psychology or a sexology book.

robm_2007
10-11-10, 17:40
They do not mean the same. You do not use a dictionary on this because it's not a linguistic term. Better pick up a sociology, psychology or a sexology book.

I know that, but i might not always use it in the right context. Ive taken 2 Psychology and Sociology courses each, and I have picked up the books; which the latter action does not mean that just by picking it up, will I gain the knowledge it contains by Osmosis.

all sarcastic remarks aside, in public schools (perhaps they are getting more into it now), they would consider sex/gender to mean the same thing. if i say gender, i can mean what your biology says you are if i want to; adn if i am wrong, then i guess ill and (youll) just live with that.

Considering im not going to ask someone what their gender is, and it be in the context that Psychologists would consider the word to mean; i think that would be rude.

Legend 4ever
10-11-10, 17:44
^ I was referring to what larson n natla posted because I've seen people referencing dictionaries which in most cases do not cover sociology or psychology terms.

And it's not about asking someone their gender, it's about the fact that if not enough awareness is raised, people who do not have gender identity issues will think that there is something wrong with people who feel they're psychologically different from what their genitals are saying they are. They will think that just because their gender and sex match, there can't be a case of where those two don't match.

Encore
10-11-10, 17:55

And what exactly constitutes a female or male personality trait? For example, I love football, Formula 1, video games, violent action movies - does this mean I'm more male than female? Well, I can guarantee you that the answer is no. I have a female body and I'm sexually attracted to guys, and I never felt any doubts whatsoever about my sex or gender.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a gender specific personality trait. There are only gender roles, to which we may or may not attach ourselves, and sexual preferences, which I've always assumed was the main criterion to define our sexual identity.

As for the actual argument in this thread, I believe it's purely a debate over semantics and it seems to me that it only makes things worst for those who do feel confused about what they are.

jackles
10-11-10, 18:00
sex= male /female
gender= masculine/feminine

coolaideonfire
10-11-10, 19:19
In general no, I tend to mix and match the words using them as one and the same in every day conversation but I realise the difference between them.

larson n natla
10-11-10, 20:06
Well thanks for the insight :)

personally I do not differentiate. In the past I have filled in questionnaires. I have been asked for either my sex or gender both of which have always had the two options male and female.

Not to sure how you can perceive a word to mean something else when the term is clearly defined but I suppose it is down to how people view gender as a mixture of traits than male or female.

Legend 4ever
10-11-10, 20:16
Why is it so hard to understand that the same way there is female and male sex, there is female and male gender. Sex is genitals, gender is one's identity.

I understand that a lot of people who don't study Psychology, Sociology, Communications, LGBT studies or Gender studies don't learn the difference, but why not try to think about it if you are faced with new facts.

Ward Dragon
10-11-10, 20:28
Why is it so hard to understand that the same way there is female and male sex, there is female and male gender. Sex is genitals, gender is one's identity.

I understand that a lot of people who don't study Psychology, Sociology, Communications, LGBT studies or Gender studies don't learn the difference, but why not try to think about it if you are faced with new facts.

At least for me, it's difficult to understand because I don't consider my gender or sexuality to be part of my identity. My identity is my personality, my opinions, my emotions, my memories. Sure gender and sexuality can influence those things, but so can a lot of other physical characteristics. I don't really consider those characteristics to define me so I have trouble understanding why they seem so important to other people. But like I said before, I accept that other people feel differently even if I probably will never understand it myself.

Lara Croft!
10-11-10, 21:44
To me "sex" is used to describe the physical differences between male and female genitalia. "Gender" on the other hand, is a socially constructed identity given to us. Sex has to do with universal physical and psychological factors, while gender is about the roles we are attributed.