PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Writing a Report?

xXhayleyroxXx
09-11-10, 21:10
I've completely forgotten how to write a report :( Does anyone have an tips on how I can go about it?
My criteria is:

* Review the commercial use of animals and animal products in human society and how their welfare may be affected.
* Explain the role of working animals in human society and how their welfare may be affected.
* Assess the role of animals in human cultures:
-Media
-Sport and Leisure
- As symbols
And how their welfare may be affected,.

I need a catchy title -- but I'm not sure what. And the article should be between 1000-1500 words so I can't include too much.

I've researched a lot for it, just I dunno how to start it :( Or how I should write.

xxx

robm_2007
09-11-10, 21:16
Well, you basically have an outline right there. start with an introductory paragraph, you just introduce your topic, and have your thesis statement somewhere in there.

then continue to your body paragraphs, with an introductory sentence, the main information relating to that topic, and the last sentence introducing the next topic paragraph.

then have a conclusion that sums it all up.

xXhayleyroxXx
09-11-10, 21:21
Hmm okay -- now I just need a snappy headline :/ Which I am terrible at creating. I think my problem is I have too much information for the project :p Like, say for example I'm looking at how animals are used in human society -- thats split into meat, clothing,lab testing and so on and so forth. But I've then split that off into fur, and and how fur trades affects certain people and why 0_0 I even mentioned silkworm welfare :p

This is just in research though, I haven't started writing my report yet.

Rai
09-11-10, 21:22
Well, if a report is similar to an article or essay, then start with an introduction that outlines what you're going to be talking about, but keep it brief. Then go on with the main topic. Keep it unbiased, to the point and informative. Then conclude to summarize. You've done the research, you need to simply put together the main points.

"Animals are used in many ways within society both commercially and working for humans...etc" or something like that, maybe. You can give examples and then elaborate for the main ones in a separate paragraph.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not as I haven't written a report before, but an essay. but I'd imagine that the layout isn't too different.

xXhayleyroxXx
09-11-10, 21:26
Thanks for the tips you lot :hug: Tiz most helpful xxxxx

robm_2007
09-11-10, 21:38
i have free time on my hand as i work on my Plant Science Report, so i made an outline. it might come useul, but im in the mood for typing and homework and such :p

I. Introduction
II. Commercial Use
A. Animals
i. Use in Consumption
B. Animal Products
i. Furs
ii. Clothing
iii. Lab Testing
C. Future of Animal Welfare Due to Continuous Commercial Use
III. Role of Animals in Human Culture
A. In the Media
i. Movies and Television
B. Sport and Leisure
i. Animals Used in Hunting: As Hunters and Prey
ii. Competitive Animal Shows
iii. Pets
IV. Conclusion

EDIT: Oh WTF? it came out all out of format when i copy and pasted it :/

EDIT 2: You're welcome :D

xXhayleyroxXx
09-11-10, 21:39
You are so sweet! Ahh, thanks ^_^ I'm a visual learner so that helps muchly seeing it like that xxxxxx

Tombraiderx08
09-11-10, 22:11
Cite loads and loads of sources, that's all I got :vlol:

Joely-Moley
09-11-10, 22:21
Keep it in 3rd person, and try to reference as much material as you can. Putting in quotes is always good where it's relevant. Make sure the layout looks good. Cover page, contents, introduction, etc.

robm_2007
09-11-10, 22:24
Keep it in 3rd person, and try to reference as much material as you can. Putting in quotes is always good where it's relevant. Make sure the layout looks good. Cover page, contents, introduction, etc.

im trying to remeber what 3rd Person is in writing. i know if you are talking in third person, than she would be saying (about herself):

"Hayley is hungry. Hayley likes to eat her vegetables." but im sure that isnt the same in writing in 3rd person :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-11-10, 22:25
People have left some great tips so far. :D To help even more, the first paragraph works well as a summary, or an introduction of your topic. You can basically make your final paragraph the exact same thing, just worded differently.

Mainly your first paragraph is making a point, the body backs up your point with facts, and the final paragraph reiterates the point you stated in the first paragraph.

When it comes to research papers, I generally like to stick with five paragraphs. The three body paragraphs are great for mentioning three different details, and going more in depth. Those tend to be my more lengthy paragraphs.

Writing has always been my favorite thing to do in school. I really excelled in this in college, and wrote more papers than I can even remember, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

Good luck with everything. :hug:

im trying to remeber what 3rd Person is in writing. i know if you are talking in third person, than she would be saying (about herself):

"Hayley is hungry. Hayley likes to eat her vegetables." but im sure that isnt the same in writing in 3rd person :p

Third person basically means not making it personal (meaning she shouldn't talk about herself at all). Instead of saying, "I think horses are fast because..." you would simply say, "Horses are fast because...." That's why you need facts to back things up when writing in the third person, because you can't fall back on opinion. Third person is a professional method of writing, anything else seems a bit bloggy, which doesn't cut it for research papers. :p

moodydog
09-11-10, 23:00
Well your opening paragraph has to review what you are going to assess... and should include the main focus of the report. For example, - whether or not animals/ animal produce should be used as resources for human satisfaction/ well-being? Without going into too much detail, you should start a few facts which could back up any points made later in the report and influence/ reinforce your opinions without making the report sound too biased.

As much as you would wan't, making it informative should not influence a biased article (though this can be withheld until the last paragraph). Therefore, try getting as much information from both sides, and make sure that all points made have a 'for' and 'against'.

Each section of the report (as if you were using sub heading) should include about 2,3 or 4 good points. Each paragraph should be a new point, and should include an opening paragraph briefly explaining what the paragraph is about. So an overview of that in your report would be;

First paragraph: Introduction

Section 1- role of working animals in human society (don't write a subheading!)

Second paragraph: Point; Use of farming animals, right or wrong? - possible points for and against.

For - Humans are adapt to hunting animals for meat.
It is the most basic of survival skills.
It appears to be a natural process in human lives and the animal kingdom.
Against - It is classed as a form of cruelty as animals can suffer during the butchering process.
All animals have a right to live.
We do not need to feed off animals to maintain a healthy diet.
New studies show that meat can be genetically grown*

third paragraph - Point; Animal testing, right or wrong? - possible points for and against.

For - It could prove to be very beneficial to the improvements of Human heath and medicine.
Can enable us to a better understanding of the animal mind, and how we can communicate with animals.
Against - The study could potentially be proved unsuccessful upon analysis, therefore unnecessary suffering is caused to the animal.
Testing animals for medicine development may not be as advantageous as human testing **

You could have a quick summary of all your points here (but I would save this till the conclusion)

Section 2- Role of animals in human cultures

Fourth Paragraph - the Media and entertainment

Here you can go into specifics... and analyse each type of animal entertainment into separate paragraphs i.e entertainment of dolphins and the impact on the welfare, bullfighting, circus animals ect

Some possible points 'Against' could be; it is cruel to make the animals work for our entertainment,
'For' - It could preserve endangered species

Follow this structure for sports (horse riding, bullfighting (could also come under entertainment) polo)

Finally your conclusion should overview your points... answering your original question (which should be referred back to throughout) and then finally your opinion. :)

I hope that helps

It is quite vague... and unresearched (and very GCSE :p) but i hope it helps you in any way. :)

* It would be wonderful if you weigh up the pro's and con's of this too... same with ** (but not necessary as it is off topic)

Edit I forgot a paragraph on manufacturing animal products... e.g Glue, clothes ect. I would include this under either culture or society, but doing so would have slightly different impact.

xXhayleyroxXx
10-11-10, 14:24
Oh! thankyou very much everyone ^_^ This is so helpful! xxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

I've wrote this so far:

Intro
Animals are seen and used everywhere in human society – but how important are they to us, and should we be concerned about their welfare?

In society, we rely on animals for many reasons – one of which being commercial use of animals and using animals to make an income. In recent times the commercial use of animals has become an issue, and much debated among animal welfare activists due to the controversial nature of using animals to gain money. Fur, meat, dairy, laboratory testing, breeding, fishing, clothing and fur have more commonly come under review due to ethical concerns regarding the animal’s welfare.

For example, there are mixed opinions about animals raised for meat consumption or caught for the food industry. Roughly 750,000,000 animals are slaughtered for commercial purposes each year in Britain alone, with 650,000 fish being caught from the oceans and lakes – is it possible to know that each creature’s welfare standards were met before its death?

In many small family farms and organic or free-range businesses, the animals are treated reasonably well – but can the same be said for factory farms? The demand in meat products means more and more animals are to be raised in factory farms, where they are kept in confining spaces. With chickens, their beaks and wings are sometimes clipped to prevent the animals from injuring each other.
There is also the issue of how the animals are killed for the meat market. Large farm animals are electrocuted before blood vessels in their neck are cut, game animals are shot before being collected whereas fish are caught and die due to shortage of oxygen. Are these the most humane methods of slaughter possible?Electrical stimulation is used as a torture method in South America, China and the Middle east. The same electrical power is used to stun animals, with no gaurantee that the animal can feel no pain. Depending on your view of the slaughter methods, more humane methods would most likely result in more expensive meat products. Would people be willing to pay that?

Animal Products
i. Furs
Fur was thought to be one of the first materials used to make clothes due to its ability to keep its wearer warm – but as more ethical materials became readily accessable many people began to boycott the trade. It is now one of the most controversial commercial animal product on sale throughout the world.

In fact, the trading of seal fur to Europe has been banned after it was reviewed that the Inuit community would not be under any financial strain if the ban was approved. Many people believe the ban was for the better, but some people think that traditions should be kept and that the sudden loss of money from selling seal fur will cause finincial trouble in the Inuit community, despite what the General Court of the EU deemed.

Rabbit fur farms are still in use however,(for clothing and meat) and an increase in demand has affected its commercial use and welfare issues. This is because it is cheap to produce and rabbit fur farms can experiment more freely with coloured dyes because the fur is less expensive in comparison to other animals. Seen most often in China. Raises many welfare issues – organisation CAFT () are trying to raise awareness by brining public attention to the rabbit’s housing, the animal’s stress levels, transport issues,hygeine,boredom and overcrowding.

ii. Other Clothing – leather, silk, wool.

I have no idea if thats how I should be writing -- feel free to tweak. I'm not sure of my use of constantly asking questions :/

moodydog
10-11-10, 15:07
Roughly 750,000,000 animals are slaughtered for commercial purposes each year in Britain alone, with 650,000 fish being caught from the oceans and lakes – is it possible to know that each creature’s welfare standards were met before its death? > This would make an excellent starting point, and a question for the reader to think about. I would always start with the facts

In society, we rely on animals for many reasons – one of which being commercial use of animals and using animals to make an income. In recent times the commercial use of animals has become an issue, and much debated among animal welfare activists due to the controversial nature of using animals to gain money. Fur, meat, dairy, laboratory testing, breeding, fishing, clothing and fur have more commonly come under review due to ethical concerns regarding the animal’s welfare.

In many small family farms and organic or free-range businesses, the animals are treated reasonably well – but can the same be said for factory farms? The demand in meat products means more and more animals are to be raised in factory farms, where they are kept in confining spaces. With chickens, their beaks and wings are sometimes clipped to prevent the animals from injuring each other. Thus, we are also benefiting from a conservation of energy due to the lack of movement in the chickens. However, this comes at the expense of the chickens themselves. > you might want to rephrase this better for me :p

There is also the issue of how the animals are killed for the meat market. Large farm animals are electrocuted before blood vessels in their neck are cut, game animals are shot before being collected whereas fish are caught and die due to shortage of oxygen...

Are these the most humane methods of slaughter possible?

Just slightly edited the first and second paragraph. Hope its ok for you.

xXhayleyroxXx
10-11-10, 15:11
Thankyou so much for editing ^_^ That's so helpful! xxxx

moodydog
10-11-10, 15:30
Thankyou so much for editing ^_^ That's so helpful! xxxx

happy to help in anyway :hug:

Doing it for the animals :)

xXhayleyroxXx
10-11-10, 15:36
happy to help in anyway :hug:

Doing it for the animals :)

aww :hug: You are actually, because if I pass this course with high marks I'm going on to help rescue them xxx:p

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 15:55
I'm stuck on how to lead one section into another, for example:

ii. Sled dogs.

Sled dogs are crucial working animals to anyone travelling in snowy, impassable conditions. They are used as a transport option, and to deliver food, medicines, items of trade and mail. So how is a sled dog's welfare affected by the cold environment they are made to work in?

Firstly, Siberian huskies and malamutes are perfectly adapted to live and work in cold temperatures -- as low as 75 degrees below 0, so the climate itself does not raise many concerns for the dog's welfare. Running is also a natural instinct to them, so requiring the dog to run fast over long distances has not raised many issues due to a sled dog's high endurance rate.

However, a sled dog's welfare is challenged over several accusations. Ashley Kieth, a sled dog racer claims she has been able to "witness atrocities that many will never hear of or see". The issues she has raised include seeing old or injured sled dogs left to die, some sled dogs being housed in uninsulated wooden huts, female sled dogs having to give birth in the snow, dogs shocked with electric collars to stop them fighting while on the harness, dogs whipped to encourage them to go faster, dogs killed for their felt to make durable winter clothing (including mittens and hats) and some injured dogs were not given the veteinary car they required. Ashley also says the training regime was exerting and stressful.

How would I then go on to another section?

lara c. fan
13-11-10, 16:39
What is the animal in the next section, if any?

trlestew
13-11-10, 16:43
Just continue to use transition words such as "Next, Then, Although, Albiet, Last" etc.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 17:56
What is the animal in the next section, if any?

horses in racing.

@trlestew - thanks :hug: xxxxx

robm_2007
13-11-10, 20:05
it could be like this:

Last Sentence: Huskies arent the only animals experiencing hostile conditions, racing horses have been seeing inhumane treatment by both the trainers and breeders.

First Sentence of next paragraph: Racing horses have been around since XXXX, adn are a popular gambling attraction adn social event, but at what cost to these Equines?

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 21:02
Thanks! Oh, thats perfect thankyou ^_^ Sorry, I'm having a total brain wipeout :( xxxxx