PDA

View Full Version : Derby mural features Lara Croft

Last Hope
10-11-10, 16:33
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49844000/jpg/_49844831_mural.jpg
The mural features prominent people and places from Derby

A mural put up by Heanor artist Mel Holmes could brighten up shopping trips in the City Centre.

The Babington Lane artwork, depicts great people from Derby and includes Jedediah Strutt, Richard Arkwright, Joseph Wright and Lara Croft.

Derby landmarks such as the Friar Gate bridge and Pride Park Stadium also feature in the mural.

Mr Holmes has previously done artwork for the likes of Robbie Williams and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49844000/jpg/_49844980_mural2.jpg
Lara Croft is the most recent character to feature in Mel Holmes's Derby mural

The mural is like a timeline of Derby's heroes.

The artist, who admitted he had no problem finding a wealth of historic figures to feature, said: "I've tried to keep one end of it quite bright and modern and neon and the other end a bit more traditional."

Also featured are the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, the Silk Mill and QUAD.

The work is part of Derby City Council's Art in the City project.

Mel Holmes has also created several UK murals including artwork at The Trafford Centre, Manchester and Meadowhall, Sheffield.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/derby/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_9167000/9167259.stm

robm_2007
10-11-10, 16:41
Ill bet ppl will protest or even draw a braid on her. or even put that she's not the real Lara :p

Alex Fly
10-11-10, 16:43
Excellent news, thanks for posting ! :)

Alpharaider47
10-11-10, 17:01
Agreed, that's quite awesome :D

the ancient
10-11-10, 17:12
Awasome news

thanks for sharing :D

Avalon SARL
10-11-10, 17:20
Thanks for sharing
this is a very nice news :)

Evan C.
10-11-10, 17:27
Woah,that's awesome.I would like to take a piece of that drawning.
BTW someone should find some snipers, I don't want that masterpiece to be scratched or something U.U

snork
10-11-10, 17:33
Masterpiece ? :confused:

Seriously, the art section here is full of better Lara pictures. What's with her left arm, elephantiasis ?

AmericanAssassin
10-11-10, 17:35
Love it. :D

Legend of Lara
10-11-10, 17:35
Pfft. That is beary amusing.

igonge
10-11-10, 18:04
YAY! :D lol

Croft_Original
10-11-10, 18:18
Wow, that's a big Lara, nice.:tmb:

Croft.

Catracoth
10-11-10, 18:18
Beautiful artwork.

TheRCroft
10-11-10, 18:50
That's great, I am just wondering why didn't they put Lara at that mural before. :p
Thank you for sharing :D

tomblover
10-11-10, 19:17
CD Lara? In Derby? Tsk.

Awesomely painted none the less.

xXhayleyroxXx
10-11-10, 19:22
that's so awesome :p <3

Horus-Goddess
10-11-10, 19:27
Oh wow this is awesome XD I sooo wanna see that D:

As for snork's comment about her arm.. I believe it's called foreshortening. XD

It is a little bit off though I do agree. Still looks pretty nice though.

I do wish they'd used a more classic looking Lara though :o Or at least give her the classic clothing/braid. <- picky.

Phlip
10-11-10, 19:28
What a horrible photo to choose from. And it should be TR1 Lara! CD's Lara came from America. :(

Rai
10-11-10, 19:49
That's cool. First a road now her picture. Lara Croft for Mayoress of Derby ftw :D.

TheBloodRed
10-11-10, 19:50
Yet another reason to stop by Derby whenever I travel to England again!! :jmp:

tampi
10-11-10, 20:17
Masterpiece ? :confused:

Seriously, the art section here is full of better Lara pictures. What's with her left arm, elephantiasis ?

It's due photo's perspective.
The arm is in the foreground.

Each day that passes, Lara Croft becomes a more representative icon. :tmb:

Tony9595
10-11-10, 20:36
Oh look! It's Laura Crystal :D

Lara Croft!
10-11-10, 20:44
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Rivendell
10-11-10, 20:53
I'm glad she's being shown off more around Derby. :tmb:

Almost certainly should have used an image of Core-era Lara though.

robm_2007
10-11-10, 21:30
I'm glad she's being shown off more around Derby. :tmb:

Almost certainly should have used an image of Core-era Lara though.

They prolly wanted to use the most up to date version (and they might have excluded GOL). as, teh Core Lara has been dead for 7 years; may she burn in Hell

:pi:

larafan25
10-11-10, 21:51
LOL LOL TRU Lara LOL.:p

Nice painting though and good recognition.:)

da tomb raider!
10-11-10, 22:18
I'm not impressed for obvious reasons.

larafan25
10-11-10, 22:19
I'm not impressed for obvious reasons.

What reasons may those be?:)

Phlip
10-11-10, 22:21
What reasons may those be?:)

The obvious reason was very obvious.

larafan25
10-11-10, 22:23
The obvious reason was very obvious.

Well no matter how many times you say that it's obvious, I still do not know which reason.

da tomb raider!
10-11-10, 22:24
It's CD Lara. That's why. :p

larafan25
10-11-10, 22:27
It's CD Lara. That's why. :p

Oh, well at least they put Lara up, because it's Lara, and they are commemorating Lara Croft as an Icon. It is a recent vision of Lara, so possibly more recognizable to todays gamers.

voltz
10-11-10, 23:09
Well no matter how many times you say that it's obvious, I still do not know which reason.

When you look at the other characters depicted in that picture, somehow I get that classic song from sesame street "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same" playing in my head. It's certainly out of place having her placed there.

DgoOdz94
10-11-10, 23:55
Pretty cool! :D

Sir Croft
11-11-10, 01:24
It's based on this screenshot
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/tombraiderunderworld_x360_screenshots_01/screen044_nm.jpg

That's awesome! :tmb:

Tombraiderx08
11-11-10, 01:26
What's with her left arm, elephantiasis ? I think part of it is because of the angle the picture was taken from :p
But, pretty cool! :tmb:

Phlip
11-11-10, 02:49
Oh, well at least they put Lara up, because it's Lara, and they are commemorating Lara Croft as an Icon. It is a recent vision of Lara, so possibly more recognizable to todays gamers.

MORE recognisable? LOL probably not. The actual Lara would be much more recognisable. The new "Lara" looks nothing like classic Lara.

MattTR
11-11-10, 02:53
Underworld Lara? :eek:

Pretty cool. :p :tmb:

leglion
11-11-10, 02:53
MORE recognisable? LOL probably not. The actual Lara would be much more recognisable. The new "Lara" looks nothing like classic Lara.

The new Lara look everything like classic Lara. What doesn't look like classic Lara?

MattTR
11-11-10, 02:57
The new Lara look everything like classic Lara. What doesn't look like classic Lara?

What doesn't look like classic Lara?

This:

http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/images/6/60/Janice.jpg

Janice should have went on that mural I tell you! :whi:

Phlip
11-11-10, 02:59

I disagree. And I can't really explain. I mean obviously aside from the lack of her recognisable classic outfit and braid.

It's actually quite sad that they've used the new, totally different Lara for a mural where Lara was originally created.

robm_2007
11-11-10, 03:03
I disagree. And I can't really explain. I mean obviously aside from the lack of her recognisable classic outfit and braid.

It's actually quite sad that they've used the new, totally different Lara for a mural where Lara was originally created.

I say you should "Tear down this wall."

Phlip
11-11-10, 03:04
I don't care that much, but it's still a ****ing disgrace.

robm_2007
11-11-10, 03:06
I don't care that much, but it's still a ****ing disgrace.

Would you rather it be Lara in her Legend dress? :p

leglion
11-11-10, 03:07

Besides the fact that casual gamers associate the ponytail with lara croft now, the classic outfit was available in all of crystal's games and all the outfits they used were Lara croft-esque. We've also proven to you long ago that the facial coordinates are exactly the same. Now it's just down to your opinion that's most likely biased (from what I've been reading in your post, you think everything CD did is lousy.) Some times I wonder if there's a crystal bashing association on this forum?!? :confused:

Phlip
11-11-10, 03:08
^I really doubt gamers now see Lara having a ponytail when it's only been in 2 games. And it doesn't matter that the classic outfit is in Legend and Anniversary - it could at least be on the mural with a braid.Would you rather it be Lara in her Legend dress? :p

That'd be quite cool, but as the same time, still a huge middle finger for the original creator's.

robm_2007
11-11-10, 03:17
but as the same time, still a huge middle finger for the original creator's.

How? im sure that there could be some clause in the CD contracts that they have with Eidos/[] Enix: that the CD design of Lara will be used in these sort of things.

kinda like how GoldenEye 2010 has Daniel Craig, adn not Pierce Brosnan; DC has the rights to portay any (official) version of James Bond in any medium during his contract. perhaps its the same for the CD Lara.

anyways, im sure that Eidos doesnt give a **** about hurting Core's feelings, and im sure they dont care either. even if they gave Lara the classic outfit and braid but used the CD model, it would still be CD Lara.

leglion
11-11-10, 03:18
^I really doubt gamers now see Lara having a ponytail when it's only been in 2 games. And it doesn't matter that the classic outfit is in Legend and Anniversary - it could at least be on the mural with a braid.

That'd be quite cool, but as the same time, still a huge middle finger for the original creator's.

Which sounds more realistic:

Do you know who lara croft is?
Version 1: "ya, isn't it the girl in the brown shorts, boot, brown top, and ponytail?"

Version 2: "Ya, isn't it the girl with the red round glasses, brown shorts, blue top, and a braid?"

I think it would be version 1.

Furthermore, which version of Lara do people dress up as for Halloween?

robm_2007
11-11-10, 03:20
Which sounds more realistic:

Do you know who lara croft is?
Version 1: "ya, isn't it the girl in the brown shorts, boot, brown top, and ponytail?"

Version 2: "Ya, isn't it the girl with the red round glasses, brown shorts, blue top, and a braid?"

I think it would be version 1.

Furthermore, which version of Lara do people dress up as Halloween?

it would be the Core type Lara O_o

how long have you been playing TR? the CD Lara/TR is nowhere near as popular or recognized as Lara when she was in the '90s.

leglion
11-11-10, 03:27
it would be the Core type Lara O_o

how long have you been playing TR? the CD Lara/TR is nowhere near as popular or recognized as Lara when she was in the '90s.

I was playing as long as I could control a keyboard and hold a controller. :p

Do you honestly think all those people who play the FPS games imagines lara with round red glassed and a blue top?

http://www.intuitive.com/blog/images/davetaylor-gamer.jpg
Think hard.

http://www.primotechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/trlegend.jpg

this

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p282/ladylaracroftweb/Site/Outfits/ClassicLara_Front.jpg
over this

Horus-Goddess
11-11-10, 03:37

Oh no... going to start this again are we?

And also to follow up... I know I personally will always recognize Lara for her Core concepts over the CD versions... I don't ask casual gamers who Lara is often. But when I bring up Tomb Raider, people my age at least, know her as her old Core concept. Of course they know of the new games... but she's most recognizable as her classic portrayal in my experience. Teal top, brown short shorts, holsters and dual pistols. Can't forget the braid either ;)

leglion
11-11-10, 03:52
Oh no... going to start this again are we?

I'm sorry, i just despise people who whine relentlessly for no damn reason! :mad: At frist, you say you want to Lara to look the way she did in the classics. Then when CD does this, you say "NOOOOO that Lara is ugly!", "She looks like she had a boob job", "her head is too big!", "her lips are too pouty", "her eyes are too big", "her eyes are too lifeless", etc. Excuse me, but didn't core Lara look like she had a boob job? Weren't her eyes lifeless? Weren't her lips pouty in the classics? Wasn't her head big?
http://tombraiderunderworld.wikispaces.com/file/view/Peter_Conelly_-_Tomb_Raider-_The_Last_Revelation_-_Album_Art.png
I just feel it's fair that if I have to hear them whining despite disproving their claims, they have to hear me disprove it over and over and over again. :)

Tony9595
11-11-10, 04:30
^ Ah, she's perfect. :cln:

LightningRider
11-11-10, 08:59
Actually, yeah, she looks way fiercer than CD Lara.

Not that I'm hating.

This was a surprise. One more reason for me to want to visit Derby. :D

Mikky
11-11-10, 13:11
That's so awesome! :D Go Lara! :yah:

Phlip
11-11-10, 13:29
How?

Because Core, who worked in Derby, were fired and the series including Lara Croft was handed over to an American developer, so the new version of "Lara" being displayed on Derby's wall is disrespectful to her original creators.

tonyme
11-11-10, 13:39
It looks nice!:tmb: Very awesome news :D

Squibbly
11-11-10, 14:08
I hate to take part in this debate, but I kind of think Underworld Lara resembled Lara from TR1 a fair bit.

http://i40.************/2hcjln9.jpg

http://i44.************/20fpx7r.jpg

I don't really care what she looks like (preferably sticking to what she's generally looked like all these years, though). I just want a great game in the future.

Anyway, cool mural. Yay for Lara!

Sir Croft
11-11-10, 14:15
Are Lara's look what really makes her recognizable? Come on, let's admit it. Any brunette woman with dual pistols will be recognized as Lara.

Phlip
11-11-10, 14:22
Are Lara's look what really makes her recognizable? Come on, let's admit it. Any brunette woman with dual pistols will be recognized as Lara.

I doubt everyone in Derby is a gamer, so I doubt that'd be enough.

Sir Croft
11-11-10, 14:30
And that's precisely why they'd think it's Lara. Not everyone in Derby is a gamer, but most of them probably know Lara from the movies.

Phlip
11-11-10, 14:37
And that's precisely why they'd think it's Lara. Not everyone in Derby is a gamer, but most of them probably know Lara from the movies.

If someone isn't a gamer, they're a lot less likely to recognise Lara, so it should be the original version which even non-gamers recognise.

Horus-Goddess
11-11-10, 16:52
Hmm the comment about the movie Lara is pretty true also. My younger brother who's now 15 said some of his friends thought that the Tomb Raider games were based off of the movies lol. Only reason my lil bro knows better is because he grew up watching me play the originals. xD

So... I could sort of see where people may get the idea she's only from the movies. Movies tend to pick up more attention than games do not just because it's a film but because of the actors/actresses or directors etc. I can see where people would relate Lara to Angelina Jolie before they would the games, if they're unfamiliar with the games in the first place.

As for your comment Leglion, I know it's annoying to see people whine that CD Lara doesn't look like the classic Lara, but they're just as entitled to their opinion as you are lol. Sometimes you just need to sit up and learn to agree to disagree... Arguing a point over and over doesn't get anyone anywhere. It's like arguing politics or religion... Neither party's going to agree with the other. So there's really no point in trying to point out something to someone who will not change their perspective.

Alpharaider47
11-11-10, 18:13
If someone isn't a gamer, they're a lot less likely to recognise Lara, so it should be the original version which even non-gamers recognise.

She's a pop culture icon though. Even if you haven't played the games, you've probably seen at least one or two pictures of her throughout your life and you've at least heard her name. It's like Indiana Jones- you don't have to have seen the movies to know who or what he is and looks like.

Rai
11-11-10, 18:46
Mel Holmes, the artist, who was [probably] commissioned to paint the mural, would have chosen to add Lara on there. I'm only guessing here, but chances are he decided to add TRU Lara as she is the latest version (bar GoL), and she's the most realistic looking, so she's in keeping at least with the rest of the mural. Maybe he should have picked Core Lara, but I'm struggling to see how it is disrespectful to choose the most up to date version. She's still Lara, and I'd imagine that people are more likely to recognise the Lara from the most recent Tomb Raider game. The fact that Lara is on that mural at all is awesome. She's up there among people who were actually once living after all :p. It's an achievement for Lara and Tomb Raider.

Squibbly
11-11-10, 18:50
^ Exactly, it's really quite wonderful that she got up there at all. Complaining about what version of her is there is rather petty, to say the least.

xb4b1x
11-11-10, 18:52
Mel Holmes, the artist, who was [probably] commissioned to paint the mural, would have chosen to add Lara on there. I'm only guessing here, but chances are he decided to add TRU Lara as she is the latest version (bar GoL), and she's the most realistic looking, so she's in keeping at least with the rest of the mural. Maybe he should have picked Core Lara, but I'm struggling to see how it is disrespectful to choose the most up to date version. She's still Lara, and I'd imagine that people are more likely to recognise the Lara from the most recent Tomb Raider game. The fact that Lara is on that mural at all is awesome. She's up there among people who were actually once living after all :p. It's an achievement for Lara and Tomb Raider.

100% agree

FloTheMachine
11-11-10, 18:57
It looks nice :D

Phlip
11-11-10, 20:01
She's a pop culture icon though. Even if you haven't played the games, you've probably seen at least one or two pictures of her throughout your life and you've at least heard her name. It's like Indiana Jones- you don't have to have seen the movies to know who or what he is and looks like.
If someone had only seen a few pictures of Lara, it's extremely likely that they'd be classic Lara since she's existed a lot longer.
I'm struggling to see how it is disrespectful to choose the most up to date version...

It's the fact that it's CD Lara, not that it's the most up to date version. :confused: Using CD Lara is disrespectful to her original creators because the series was taken away from Core. It should be Core's work in Derby.

robm_2007
11-11-10, 20:08
If someone had only seen a few pictures of Lara, it's extremely likely that they'd be classic Lara since she's existed a lot longer.

It's the fact that it's CD Lara, not that it's the most up to date version. :confused: Using CD Lara is disrespectful to her original creators because the series was taken away from Core. It should be Core's work in Derby.

i dont think so. its like if they were to be doing a mural on James Bond, i can imagine they would use Daniel Craig. Why? Becuase is he is James Bond. Connnery, Brosnan, Moore, Dalton, etc are no longer to face of James Bond.

It was for the current Lara Croft, using a former version of her wouldnt make sense, as she is no longer relevant in the current games.

larafan25
11-11-10, 20:09

All that would show is the weakness of the whiny fans. The fact that Lara Croft has survived so much and is still around and still a British gaming icon is what's ...well...iconic.

Besides most classic images of Lara are buried in old gaming magazines and the games are not on the front shelf of the stores.

Also if you don't think that painted image of Lara is Core's work, you are greatly mistaken.;)

Phlip
11-11-10, 20:16
i dont think so. its like if they were to be doing a mural on James Bond, i can imagine they would use Daniel Craig. Why? Becuase is he is James Bond. Connnery, Brosnan, Moore, Dalton, etc are no longer to face of James Bond.

It was for the current Lara Croft, using a former version of her wouldnt make sense, as she is no longer relevant in the current games.
Whichever actor was used for the films being used in Derby should be used.
All that would show is the weakness of the whiny fans. The fact that Lara Croft has survived so much and is still around and still a British gaming icon is what's ...well...iconic.

Besides most classic images of Lara are buried in old gaming magazines and the games are not on the front shelf of the stores.

Also if you don't think that painted image of Lara is Core's work, you are greatly mistaken.;)

Not weakness, just recognition of it being disrespectful.

So? I still bet most people would recognise TR1-5 FMV Lara over Legend/Underworld Lara more.

What? :confused:

Lara's home
11-11-10, 20:18
Lol @ complaints. Talk about moaning

larafan25
11-11-10, 20:20
Whichever actor was used for the films being used in Derby should be used.

Not weakness, just recognition of it being disrespectful.

So? I still bet most people would recognise TR1-5 FMV Lara over Legend/Underworld Lara more.

What? :confused:

How are most people going to recognize an image of Lara that is much older and hasn't been in the media for some time? Compared to a fresh image and portrayal.

Also Lara Croft is Core Designs creation and her evolution is Core Design as well as Crystal Dynamics.

Phlip
11-11-10, 20:22
How are most people going to recognize an image of Lara that is much older and hasn't been in the media for some time? Compared to a fresh image and portrayal.

Also Lara Croft is Core Designs creation and her evolution is Core Design as well as Crystal Dynamics.

Because more people would have seen it. It's not as if Lara's as popular now as she used to be.

There's a difference between evolution and outright change.

Chocola teapot
11-11-10, 20:24
How Amazing. <3

Lara's home
11-11-10, 20:24
Because more people would have seen it. It's not as if Lara's as popular now as she used to be.

Evolution = Change
Don't try to act like people don't recognize this Lara. Everyone does.

Phlip
11-11-10, 20:25
Evolution = Change
Don't try to act like people don't recognize this Lara. Everyone does.

Only general gamers, not the general public.

larafan25
11-11-10, 20:25

Ok .....so... Evolution on steroids?

Lara may not be as multimedia however she is still recognizable as Lara Croft.

Lara's home
11-11-10, 20:26
Only general gamers, not the general public.

Really, now? I've yet to meet this general public then.

Rai
11-11-10, 20:46
The way I see it, Core created Tomb Raider and Lara, CD have continued with Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is 14 years old, and people still recognise the franchise and it's figurehead Lara. This shows respect for Core as the originators, it shows how what they created has become so iconic that Lara is painted on a mural, in Derby the place of TR's birth. It shouldn't matter which 'Lara' is there, it IS Lara and this Lara is recognisable as such. This is good. Does anyone think that the people of Core care if 'their' Lara isn't there or rather that Lara is there in her most recent (TR) form at all? I'd hazard a guess at the latter. The artist had a right to choose which Lara to paint, he could have chosen his own interpretation like some artists might have done and do (just look at the work by TRF artists), but he chose one that he felt would be recognisable today (most probbaly), or one he recognises first. He didn't intend it to be an insult to Core, but a tribute to Lara and Tomb Raider. Again I'm guessing, but this is how I would see it if I were a mural artist.

Alpharaider47
11-11-10, 21:10

That's not my point- you'd still recognize it as Lara Croft would you not? :p

^^ You make a lot of sense Rai :p I agree with ya, and I think this whole Core vs Crystal(all of it, the whole nine yards) is a bunch of pointless BS :p