PDA

View Full Version : Tutankhamun artefacts to be returned to Egypt

QiX
11-11-10, 05:15
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is to return 19 artefacts taken from Tutankhamun's tomb to Egypt.

The collection is made up of small figurines and jewellery, including a miniature bronze dog, a Sphinx-shaped bracelet decoration and a necklace.

The items will remain on display in Manhattan until June 2011.

Upon their return to Egypt, they will join the rest of the Tut collection at the new Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza, scheduled to open in 2012.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11727479

leglion
11-11-10, 05:34
All artefacts that were taken be force or stolen should be returned period.

EscondeR
11-11-10, 05:47
Kinda strange seeing that thread here :whi: :pi:

Encore
11-11-10, 14:59
As long as the original country has the means to preserve the items that were taken, I agree that they should be given back to them. It makes no sense otherwise. Every time I think of the looting of the Parthenon it makes me sick.:mad:

Why? :confused:

scoopy_loopy
11-11-10, 15:11
As long as the original country has the means to preserve the items that were taken, I agree that they should be given back to them. It makes no sense otherwise.

This. I saw a doco on how piles of Egypts artefacts are simply being piled up in their museums, not shown, and not taken care of either.

If Egypt can actually look after the items, great, all the power to them -- but if not, I'd rather them be kept in London/New York/Parisien Museums where at least we know they won't be ruined/lost/stolen.

NRO.
11-11-10, 15:20

:vlol:

I'm glad what's been done.

Alpharaider47
11-11-10, 16:07
This. I saw a doco on how piles of Egypts artefacts are simply being piled up in their museums, not shown, and not taken care of either.

If Egypt can actually look after the items, great, all the power to them -- but if not, I'd rather them be kept in London/New York/Parisien Museums where at least we know they won't be ruined/lost/stolen.

This is how I feel :p The stuff belongs in a museum, but one where it's gonna get the attention it deserves.

tonyme
11-11-10, 16:10
This is good!

Tear
11-11-10, 16:14
Is Lara the culprit once again?:mis:

the ancient
11-11-10, 16:24
Why? :confused:

Because Lara Croft mostely steals ancient artefacts :)

So this thread is a little bit funny on a Tomb raider Forum

snork
11-11-10, 16:33
Good. :)

It usually is nothing different in any European et al museum. So this is mainly (chauvinistic) propaganda against returning the stolen stuff.

The "1st world" museums almost always have way more stuff that they can show; or than they can safely show (theft, robbery, no properly climated/ lit rooms, etc.)

Alpharaider47
11-11-10, 16:42
It usually is nothing different in any European et al museum. So this is mainly (chauvinistic) propaganda against returning the stolen stuff.

The "1st world" museums almost always have way more stuff that they can show; or than they can safely show (theft, robbery, no properly climated/ lit rooms, etc.)

True, but if they have better storage techniques, then couldn't they better lend them out to other museums as space opens and they can show them? :p Maybe that's wishful thinking.

snork
11-11-10, 17:08
True, but if they have better storage techniques, then couldn't they better lend them out to other museums as space opens and they can show them? :p Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I think they often try to do exactly this - I mean the people who work there often chose their profession because they really believe in it, and want the stuff presented well to the public.

But it is not easy, and often very costly.

I really like the idea from some museum who go the way of a kind of "open archive" - stuff there is not "presented" but in the drawers and like, but accessible to visitors.
Of course you can't do that with Tut Anch Amun kind of things, but for example the vast collections of specimens in natural museums, and other not-so-prone-to-be-stolen stuff.

Alpharaider47
11-11-10, 17:15
I think they often try to do exactly this - I mean the people who work there often chose their profession because they really believe in it, and want the stuff presented well to the public.

But it is not easy, and often very costly.

I really like the idea from some museum who go the way of a kind of "open archive" - stuff there is not "presented" but in the drawers and like, but accessible to visitors.
Of course you can't do that with Tut Anch Amun kind of things, but for example the vast collections of specimens in natural museums, and other not-so-prone-to-be-stolen stuff.

Yeah that's a good point =/

I remember a few places that did that :p

leglion
11-11-10, 18:59
Just a reminder that many of these artefacts are not going into museums but are being given back to the people they were taken from. A perfect examples is the Benin bronzes.
http://www.show.me.uk/dbimages/chunked_image/2006_2738.jpg
http://johnbatchelorshow.com/schedules/image/benin%20bronze%204.jpg
http://www.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/bronze.jpg
^ I read somewhere that a mask like that is needed to perform some kind of ceremony but the specific mask needed is laying in some European museum.
This isn't just theft of an artefact, but theft of culture and years of history.

FloTheMachine
11-11-10, 19:01
Is Lara the culprit once again?:mis:

My thoughts :D

Little-Lara
11-11-10, 23:34
Because Lara Croft mostely steals ancient artefacts :)

So this thread is a little bit funny on a Tomb raider Forum

:vlol: ...and she's English. OMG the comparisons. LMAO. :D

IceColdLaraCroft
12-11-10, 01:17
:vlol: ...and she's English. OMG the comparisons. LMAO. :D

British and it looks like we share a common enemy.

Legend of Lara
12-11-10, 01:24
All of Lara's hard work undone. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
12-11-10, 11:56
I think artefacts belong in their country of origin -- which is why I'm annoyed that roman mask I made a thread about got taken out of cumbria and its probably going to go to another country :/

I say this is good news. :tmb: