PDA

View Full Version : Chinese vase sells for 43 MILLION!

TR FAN 18
12-11-10, 09:40
Qianlong Chinese porcelain vase sold for 43m

A vase found in a house-clearance in London has been sold for 43m, thought to be a record for any Chinese artwork.

The 18th Century Qianlong porcelain piece, found in Pinner, had been estimated to fetch up to 1.2m for the brother and sister who inherited it.

The sister left the room to "have a breath of fresh air" when the sale closed, Bainbridges auction house said.

The vase is yellow and sky blue in colour with a fish motif on the front and a perforated outer wall.

The private buyer - who is thought to have come from the Chinese mainland - paid 43m, with an additional premium of 8.6m to go to the auctioneer.

The family who inherited the piece "had no idea what they had", Helen Porter, from Bainbridges, said.

"They were hopeful but they didn't dare believe until the hammer went down.

"When it did, the sister had to go out of the room and have a breath of fresh air."
'Exquisite beauty'

It is thought the vase left China in about 1860 and was acquired by an English family during the 1930s but how the 16in-tall item made its way to the house in north-west London is a mystery, auctioneer Bainbridges said.

A posting on the auctioneer's blog said: "It is a masterpiece. If only it could talk."

Bainbridges described the artefact as "a piece of exquisite beauty and a supreme example of the skill of the ceramicist and decorator".

The ceramic vase was made during the reign of the fourth emperor in the Qing dynasty, Qianlong, who ruled the empire from 1735 to 1796.

Source: BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11739781?print=true)

All I can say is OMG!! :yik:

igonge
12-11-10, 10:38
The sister left the room to "have a breath of fresh air" when the sale closed

She probably went outside and screamed with joy. That's what I would have done, either that or I would have died of shock right there on the spot :p

scoopy_loopy
12-11-10, 11:50
I hate them. So ****ing much. :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
12-11-10, 11:53
I wanna see the vase 0_0

Underworld2008
12-11-10, 11:57
OMG. I'd die on the spot. Congratz on them :D

I also want to see this vase...

xXhayleyroxXx
12-11-10, 12:02
Just seen it on the news -- its pretty, but you'd expect something more elaborate and intricate for that amount of money.

The Great Chi
12-11-10, 12:06
They better handle it with care.

CRASH ! :mis:

Little-Lara
12-11-10, 23:23
Link doesn't have photo reference. :(

I would love to see it.

lara c. fan
12-11-10, 23:25
Just seen it on the news -- its pretty, but you'd expect something more elaborate and intricate for that amount of money.

Somebody paid millions to have a number plate with just the number "1" on it. I wouldn't expect something more elaborate and intricate for that amount of money. :p

Chocola teapot
12-11-10, 23:29
Lmao, I saw it on Daybreak.

Its got blue on top... and Coi Carp on it... I think. :p

dizzydoil
12-11-10, 23:37
Heheh, I saw it on Daybreak too! :p But yeah, unbelievable.

Chocola teapot
12-11-10, 23:40
Heheh, I saw it on Daybreak too! :p But yeah, unbelievable.

High five for Daybreak.

Even though GMTV was better.

digitizedboy
12-11-10, 23:41
I wonder how much the value would've fell to if someone had accidently dropped and broken it.

Chocola teapot
12-11-10, 23:42
I wonder how much the value would've fell to if someone had accidently dropped and broken it.

Dramatically.

MattTR
12-11-10, 23:49
Is it made out of platinum? :eek:

Very awesome. :tmb:

Bongo Fury
12-11-10, 23:52

depends on how much it is insured for and if it would be covered in a case of the "dropsies".

Lizard of Oz
13-11-10, 02:27
I want it! <3

jjbennett
13-11-10, 02:28
I've got one just like that with some flowers in it at home.

Wait a second....

QiX
13-11-10, 03:09
Here's a pic.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49906000/jpg/_49906395_vase_pa.jpg

It's not really breathtaking, but considering it will be locked in a climatised safe surrounded with laser tripwires and 1 gram precision pressure plates all over the floor. Let's say, no one will have the chance to look at it in the next centuries, beauty is irrelevant :p

Alpharaider47
13-11-10, 03:12
I like it :p If I had that kind of money, I might blow it on that. But I'm a sucker for pottery and antiquities :o

TRLegendLuver
13-11-10, 08:00
I inherited this weird Chinese vase/pottery. I've had it looked at it, and its from the 1300s. I need to sell it.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 09:44
I like it :p If I had that kind of money, I might blow it on that. But I'm a sucker for pottery and antiquities :o

Its nice, but honestly I've found better stuff in the river...

HURLEYstickmen
13-11-10, 09:52
Heard this on Real Radio, in Yorkshire (where I live :)) and all I can say is: err... they'd
be up to there ears in money? Ka-Ching!!! What do you think they'd spend it on, do
you wonder...?:D

digitizedboy
13-11-10, 11:33
It's not really breathtaking, but considering it will be locked in a climatised safe surrounded with laser tripwires and 1 gram precision pressure plates all over the floor. Let's say, no one will have the chance to look at it in the next centuries, beauty is irrelevant :p

We'll have to employ Ethan Hunt.

lara c. fan
13-11-10, 12:15
We'll have to employ Ethan Hunt.

Nah... Too much collateral.

Underworld2008
13-11-10, 12:40

LOL. I remember on one of those antique shows, a man valued something (i think it was a plate set) at like 10,000, and then he turnt and smashed them all by mistake. The audiences faces...LOL

Here's a pic.

...Its nice...but not great...

:vlol::vlol::vlol:

SkyPuppy
13-11-10, 12:50
it's er...

yeah, it's ugly. :l

lara c. fan
13-11-10, 12:53
The things is... It's (Relatively) quite old. And, if my mind serves me correctly, only 2 of a kind.

BlueJ97
13-11-10, 12:55
@Qix

Wow it's boobyful

but if it's porcelain ( blue and white ) i'm sure it's much better :D

Dina_Croft
13-11-10, 13:05
Here's a pic.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/29568/original/i_dont_even_cat.jpg?1260115989

Alpharaider47
13-11-10, 16:52

At least *you* live near a river where you can find that stuff :whi:

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 17:11
At least *you* live near a river where you can find that stuff :whi:

Lmao, its quite strange actually. I found a bus stop sign the other day and a broken telegraph pole 0_0 Apparently the woods were once part of the village community, and not overgrown at all -- but once witches apparently became known in the village they stopped using it and it became too dangerous to enter. Its quite fascinating really -- everything is just like it was when they left it, but more.... wild.

Alpharaider47
13-11-10, 17:12
Lmao, its quite strange actually. I found a bus stop sign the other day and a broken telegraph pole 0_0 Apparently the woods were once part of the village community, and not overgrown at all -- but once witches apparently became known in the village they stopped using it and it became too dangerous to enter. Its quite fascinating really -- everything is just like it was when they left it, but more.... wild.

That's really interesting :p See why can't we have that sort of stuff on this side of the pond?

Chocola teapot
13-11-10, 17:13
I'd love to smash it.

What an honour. <3

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 17:14
That's really interesting :p See why can't we have that sort of stuff on this side of the pond?

Because America sucks :p Only joking lol

I'd love to smash it.

What an honour. <3

ooooo rebel! <3

Alpharaider47
13-11-10, 17:18

It kind of does... at least here and everywhere else I've lived in it :vlol:

Chocola teapot
13-11-10, 17:19

ooooo rebel! <3

Lmao, you would totally stomp the smashed pile with me though! <3

xxxxx

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 17:20
It kind of does... at least here and everywhere else I've lived in it :vlol:

Oh well :p

Lmao, you would totally stomp the smashed pile with me though! <3

xxxxx

Oh, I know <3 xxxxxxxxxxxxx

MsRedFoxx
13-11-10, 23:49
Seriously? I don't see how America is more boring then England. I hate where I live atm. I live in the moors and all there is moors (and a satanic underground temple with tunnels leading to it all over my city :p )

But yeah aside from the temple thing that I am too scared to go to and sheep, there's nothin here aside from chavs and tiny tiny houses.

xXhayleyroxXx
14-11-10, 00:09
Seriously? I don't see how America is more boring then England. I hate where I live atm. I live in the moors and all there is moors (and a satanic underground temple with tunnels leading to it all over my city :p )

But yeah aside from the temple thing that I am too scared to go to and sheep, there's nothin here aside from chavs and tiny tiny houses.

where abouts do you live?