PDA

View Full Version : First Job Stories?

egypt_gypsie
13-11-10, 14:02
So, I started at Mcdonalds yesterday, and I was super nervous that it would take me forever to learn the cash register. So when I got there, the girl that trained me in only told me half of the stuff on the register....

So people were ordering things that I had no idea about...

And now I am afraid I will forget everything, since this is my second day....

And the manager kept yelling at me, I guess she had been mad all day or something.....

How did your first day/week at your first job go?

Saphyre
13-11-10, 14:07
I've just done my first proper week at my job. It's not gone too well as I was off a couple of days because of my grandad passing away, that, and I work in a call center so all the people on the phone can be really angry and stuff with you.

Met some brilliant people though. Shame next week I'm getting moved downstairs so I won't be able to see some of the brilliant people I've met. Or should that be person? I've gotten really attached to some people which is a mistake because work colleagues come and go.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-11-10, 14:22
My first job was terrible! It was in this stupid, pokey little cafe. The kitchen was so tiny it was impossible to work in. Then they just expected me to know things and got annoyed if I asked them if they could explain it. Then I got a ten minute lunch break. Then they asked me to buy spreadable cheese and got peed off when I brought the wrong make back :S

Soooooo glad I quid!

ultima espio
13-11-10, 14:23
I'm still waiting :p

Capt. Murphy
14-11-10, 00:25
My first j-o-b was in a Toy factory where they use plastic-injection-mold-machines (they made stuff like those plastic bowling sets, and jack-o-lanterns). I was employed there for month, but only worked for... 3 -I think, or maybe 1 -from calling in "sick"... Actually, I HATED that job. And the fact that the boss of that place was a psycho didn't inspire me to come in either. It was good-bye and good-riddance! :wve:

ETA: Maybe 1/4th of the time the machines would break down and I'd have to sweep the floor, or (like one time) a hydraulic hose busted on one of the machines - spraying extremely hot fluid around. And there was the shredding machines where we'd drop in scrap pieces of plastic to be recycled. Sometimes they'd seize up. I heard from one guy one of them had flames to shoot out. And there was tale of another person - working at a machine, and a door or something came off and crushed the guys toes.

patriots88888
14-11-10, 04:06
So, I started at Mcdonalds yesterday, and I was super nervous that it would take me forever to learn the cash register. So when I got there, the girl that trained me in only told me half of the stuff on the register....
So people were ordering things that I had no idea about...

And now I am afraid I will forget everything, since this is my second day....

And the manager kept yelling at me, I guess she had been mad all day or something.....

How did your first day/week at your first job go?

Did you explain to your manager that you were improperly trained? I know there's a lot of items on those registers so they shouldn't expect you to identify them all right from the get go... and if they do, they aren't being very practical about it. Hopefully they'll keep you on it for awhile and not move you around too much because the only way to successfully learn anything like that is through repitition. After a awhile (a few days to a week), it should become second nature to you.

My first job at age 16 was manager at a laundromat... which is just a fancy title for saying I cleaned it and locked it up at night. Pretty self explanatory job and I was by myself (which I loved) so no need to worry about any potential conflicts with anyone. The owner barely showed up, only about once a week to collect the money from the machines.

Ikas90
14-11-10, 04:47
My first job was k.

I was a data logger for a real estate company, preparing invitations for people who want to invest in property. I was trained, and everything went fine. I worked there for 6 months.

Alpharaider47
14-11-10, 05:06
Well I've just recently started working at GameStop, my first actual job. So far I have about 4-5 days in, actually just got back from closing the store :p It's been great so far, lots of interesting people and the work's not too difficult. I've learned a lot different things already and am answering phones, etc. The manager has been great, and the other employees really help make sure I know what I'm doing. Everybody looks out for me, and I feel like I've helped quite a few people so far :D

cbragg09
14-11-10, 05:46
My first job was MegaTan. It was a tanning salon... It was nice :)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-11-10, 11:20
My first job was MegaTan. It was a tanning salon... It was nice :)

Did you steel any free... tan?

kthnxbai
14-11-10, 11:58
My first job was in a golf course.... running the club house

I was left alone on my first day... it was a pretty andy job though, it could get super busy at times

it had kind abad hours too.... 6.30 am starts... 12 hour shifts

I did once pull two shifts which meant I was in 6.30am-11.30pm... that was pretty horrible

AND it was in the middle of nowhere so there was no where to go for lunch or anything...

But still, I think it's been my favourite job that I've had so far.... I only left cause the company got bought out and they brought in their own staff...