PDA

View Full Version : Antimatter trapped for the first time!

kthnxbai
20-11-10, 00:41
Just read about this.... CERN have managed to trap 38 anti-hydrogen atoms!

ATOMS made of antimatter have been trapped for the first time, a feat that will allow us to test whether antimatter responds to the fundamental forces in the same way as regular matter.

Antiparticles are the oppositely charged twins of normal particles. Since matter and antimatter annihilate on contact, antimatter experiments have been limited to using charged antiparticles, which can be corralled within electromagnetic traps.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/11/researchers-trap-antihydrogen-atoms.ars

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20827874.500-antihydrogen-trapped-at-long-last.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

This is pretty amazing... I really wanna see what happens over the next few months.... or years

As much as it's a really big step forward in physics I'm interested to see exactly what they're gonna do next and what implications it has

For anyone that doesn't know what the hell antimatter is, well, everything in the universe in made up of matter... depending on what level you go to, you can talk about things being made of certain elements, like tin or copper, or you can go a bit further down and everything is made of protons and electrons and neutrons...

And for every particle that exists (whether you want to think about elements or particles) there's an anti-particle... which consists of the same stuff, but with an opposite charge...
If matter and it's corresponding anti-matter ever meet, they basically cancel each other out...

Scientists reckon that anti-matter should behave the same way as matter, so by finally trapping some of the stuff, we can actually test it!

scoopy_loopy
20-11-10, 00:54
This is really awesome! :D :yah: I can't wait to see the further implications and findings.

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 00:59
Angels and Demons! :p

MangelinaJolie
20-11-10, 01:01

Glad I'm not the only one whose first thought was this.

larafan25
20-11-10, 01:04
This sounds amazing, I love it when we do stuff like this!:)

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 01:06
Glad I'm not the only one whose first thought was this.

:vlol:

kthnxbai
20-11-10, 01:09

Heh, I thought the same and for a while was like oh ****... but they're not exactly storing it anywhere... it got annihilated after a bit, just not quite as instantaneously as before

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 01:54
Heh, I thought the same and for a while was like oh ****... but they're not exactly storing it anywhere... it got annihilated after a bit, just not quite as instantaneously as before

Ah well :p That's pretty neat though that they've managed to do that!

Tommy123
20-11-10, 03:41
pretty cool!

thanks for posting

Ikas90
20-11-10, 03:44
The world is gonna blow up lol. :)

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 03:46

*braces to be killed*

I have to say this, someone will if I don't :p

IceColdLaraCroft
20-11-10, 03:51
There's coffee in that antimatter!

Tombraiderx08
20-11-10, 03:54
I love scientists, but they should spend their time tinkering with things that, Oh I don't know, wont destroy anything? :D

QiX
20-11-10, 03:56

Relax. If something blew up it was 38 atoms of Hydrogen, nothing we would ever miss. Anyway it's a giant leap for mankind contained in the most microscopic step ever :p

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 04:03
Relax. If something blew up it was 38 atoms of Hydrogen, nothing we would ever miss. Anyway it's a giant leap for mankind contained in the most microscopic step ever :p

38 atoms of hydrogen now... how about in 2 years when it's a hell of a lot more!? :mis:

QiX
20-11-10, 04:09
38 atoms of hydrogen now... how about in 2 years when it's a hell of a lot more!? :mis:

Considering the mass it would take about one anti-Earth to destroy the planet. While it's something to worry I don't see it coming in the next thousand years ;)

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 04:19
Considering the mass it would take about one anti-Earth to destroy the planet. While it's something to worry I don't see it coming in the next thousand years ;)

Oh I didn't mean destroy the world haha, just enough to take out the Vatican *wink wink nudge nudge*

QiX
20-11-10, 04:27
Lol, sounds like a plan. But I would stick with old fashioned methods untill we have a more reliable anti-matter cannon. I would hate to see the blast radius damaging Rome and the rest of Italy. Or at least save Venice :p

Alpharaider47
20-11-10, 04:28
Lol, sounds like a plan. But I would stick with old fashioned methods untill we have a more reliable anti-matter cannon. I would hate to see the blast radius damaging Rome and the rest of Italy. Or at least save Venice :p

:vlol:
Naturally /Ewan McGregor voice there's a reference there :pi:

tampi
20-11-10, 10:50
I just think they are trying, manage, simpler particles, basic particles; kicked, punched and destroying them.:confused:

I also like to know where we're going with this.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
20-11-10, 11:46

It would take substantially less. The reaction of antimatter with matter is much more efficient than nuclear energy. The problem is it probably took them many megawatts worth of energy to even capture these 38 atoms.

In antimatter-matter collisions resulting in photon emission, the entire rest mass of the particles is converted to kinetic energy. The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than chemical energy (compared to TNT at 4.2×106 J/kg, and formation of water at 1.56×107 J/kg), about 4 orders of magnitude greater than nuclear energy that can be liberated today using nuclear fission (about 200 MeV per atomic nucleus that undergoes nuclear fission,[31] or 8×1013 J/kg), and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible from fusion (about 6.3×1014 J/kg for the proton-proton chain). The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula E = mc˛), or the rough equivalent of 43 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomb, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, reacted an estimated yield of 50 megatons, which required the use of tens of kilograms[citation needed] of fissile material (Uranium/Plutonium) (hundreds for the full-yield 100 megaton design), and two tons of lithium deuteride (fusion fuel).[32]

Eddie Haskell
20-11-10, 13:00
This is good, now if we can only find some dilithium crystals we can start building the Starship Enterprise.

Croft_Original
20-11-10, 13:31
This is good, now if we can only find some dilithium crystals we can start building the Starship Enterprise.

*in my worst Scottish accent*Aye, aye cap'n:tmb:

Croft.

toxicraider
20-11-10, 13:35
It would take substantially less. The reaction of antimatter with matter is much more efficient than nuclear energy. The problem is it probably took them many megawatts worth of energy to even capture these 38 atoms.
They meant the amount of mass needed to make the earth disappear into thin air, I think, but you're right, much less would cause total devastation. Thanks for that quote, that was quite interesting. When I read that the individual atoms had caused flashes, I figured there must have been some pretty intense amounts of energy being released. :p

Physics fascinates me, but it's so complicated.

LightningRider
20-11-10, 13:53
Cool, I sort of have this fascination with Antimatter against Real Matter, so I can't wait to see the results. :)

lara c. fan
20-11-10, 14:22

Would take much less than that. Anti-matter doesn't peacefully cancel out matter. There's one hell of an explosion coming along for the ride as well.

Chocola teapot
20-11-10, 14:24
That is... Unbeleivable. :p

Vinkula
20-11-10, 14:50
Welcome warp cores! :vlol:

Eddie Haskell
20-11-10, 15:18
Would take much less than that. Anti-matter doesn't peacefully cancel out matter. There's one hell of an explosion coming along for the ride as well.

Yes, and here's the explanation:

2Fj2jswhBoU