PDA

View Full Version : Ireland will request EU and IMF bailout package

DragonSlayer
21-11-10, 17:58
Ireland will request EU and IMF bailout package
4-year programme of steep tax rises

Anyone here from ireland? The paper says they will receive a bailout of 80 billion pounds from IMF and EU. I read that some people there are upset because they fought to be independent for so long but now the banks and politicians spent them into economic ruin and now they are going to have to make severe spending cuts and steeply raise taxes.

Here is link to an article about the Irish bailout to be announced Monday:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/8149722/Ireland-will-request-EU-and-IMF-bailout-package.html#dsq-content

In the USA, the TV tells us often that the Irish are a passionate bunch who enjoy a good drink from time to time. Does anyone think the Irish people are going to revolt over this or are they going to be economic-slaves for the IMF?

I really couldn't care less what our useless politicians get up to i've gotten so tired of hearing about them that i stopped watching the news because that's all they ever talk about now, brian cowen this brian cowen that.

They should let me run the country i would bring in a shoot to kill policy for the idiots who got us into this mess starting with brian cowen and they guy who was there before him bertie ahern, and where is the irish president in all this isn't she supposed to be the one running the country she does nothing except occasionally write her name on whatever piece of legislation cowen and his cronies come up with, if i were president i'd sack the whole lot of them and run the country myself, why bother having a president that does nothing, a while back she flew to some country to secure trade and jobs and all that stuff for ireland, did she succeed i don't know because i haven't heard of any new jobs being created just jobs being lost.

Our so-called president does nothing and is hardly ever in the news apart from when she broke something skiing back in 2001 she only comes out at christmas to put a wreath at a memorial and that's it.

Brian Cowen is going to join his former high flying buddies George Bush and Gordon Brown in doing nothing because it won't be long before he is kicked out and he can take our useless irish president with him.

On the subject of our useless politicians and their messed up priorities some of the stuff they get upto boggles the mind a couple of years back 1 politician i forget his name decided that in order to draw attention to a water crisis he would pose with two nearly naked women who would be holding jugs of water, it was a misguided thing to do and to think these are the idiots running the country, and then there was the time that brian cowen bertie ahern and mary hanafin took time out from their not very busy schedules to go for a walk on a beach and have their picture taken.

Our so called politicians make me want to do this every time i hear about their latest antics.
http://s1.postimage.org/nqeddd8k/suicidal.gif (http://www.postimage.org/)

Not all of our politicians are useless for example
Pat Rabbitte sticks it to Pat Carey on Prime Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqx4E5tq1Bo

Cochrane
21-11-10, 18:22
So Ireland does request the funds now? Not really a surprise, given the situation, but still it looks odd after the many assurances that it would not. I wonder what this will do for other problematic economies like Portugal and Spain now.

Mad Tony
21-11-10, 18:35
Request? I thought they'd already accepted?

DragonSlayer
21-11-10, 18:40
Request? I thought they'd already accepted?

I think they have i heard on the radio a while ago that our finance minister brian lenihan rang his EU counterparts which to me means his EU bosses to tell them that we have accepted the tens of billions of euro bailout or whatever it is they're calling it.

scoopy_loopy
21-11-10, 19:29
Dear IMF, I am also broke. Please give me 80 million. :pi:

disapearing-boy
21-11-10, 22:00
9where is the irish president in all this isn't she supposed to be the one running the country

Our president has no power, she doesn't run the country.. It's a purely ceremonial role, like in England they have the queen, same thing minus the monarchy aspect. The Irish president has very little power, the Taoiseach (Irish term for Prime minister for anyone else reading) runs the country.

The government denied a bailout for so long.. and now they've done a complete U-turn! Our politicians earn more money than other world leaders, far more than Obama or any other world leader! And we're such a small country.. They blamed the Irish public for living beyond our means when they squandered billions.. Time to leave the country methinks:(

Solice
22-11-10, 02:00
That's what happens when a country sells it's soul to the EU.

Cochrane
22-11-10, 05:38
That's what happens when a country sells it's soul to the EU.

No. Take Iceland for example: Not an EU member, but got into a similar problematic situation - and is now considering joining the EU to help deal with the results. This is in both cases the result of a risky economic policy that worked great when the world economy was doing well, but was not able to deal with a recession properly.

DragonSlayer
22-11-10, 17:23
No. Take Iceland for example: Not an EU member, but got into a similar problematic situation - and is now considering joining the EU to help deal with the results. This is in both cases the result of a risky economic policy that worked great when the world economy was doing well, but was not able to deal with a recession properly.

You know iceland has problems when it has Kerry Katona as the public face of one of its food items.

Ireland is well and truly in the red thanks to cowen and the rest of his bungling idiots.