PDA

View Full Version : Disney To Stop Making Fairytales

EmeraldFields
21-11-10, 20:14
Disney Animation is closing the book on fairy tales

'Tangled' will be the last such movie it makes for the foreseeable future. The studio is aiming for wider appeal.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Claudia Eller, Los Angeles Times
November 21, 2010

Once upon a time, there was a studio in Burbank that spun classic fairy tales into silver-screen gold.

But now the curtain is falling on "princess movies," which have been a part of Disney Animation's heritage since the 1937 debut of its first feature film, "Snow White." The studio's Wednesday release of "Tangled," a contemporary retelling of the Rapunzel story, will be the last fairy tale produced by Disney's animation group for the foreseeable future.

"Films and genres do run a course," said Pixar Animation Studios chief Ed Catmull, who along with director John Lasseter oversees Disney Animation. "They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it … but we don't have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up." Indeed, Catmull and Lasseter killed two other fairy tale movies that had been in development, "The Snow Queen" and "Jack and the Beanstalk."

To appreciate what a sea change this is for the company, consider that a fairy tale castle is a landmark at Disney theme parks around the world and is embedded in the Walt Disney Pictures logo. Fairy tale characters from Disney's movies populate the parks, drive sales of merchandise and serve as the inspiration for Broadway musicals.

Alas, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Jasmine and the other Disney royals were all born in the 20th century. Now, different kinds of Disney characters are elbowing their way into the megaplexes and toy aisles, including Pixar's "Toy Story" buddies Buzz Lightyear and Woody, Capt. Jack Sparrow from "Pirates of the Caribbean" and a platoon of superheroes from the recent acquisition of Marvel Entertainment.

Over the decades, Disney has benefited from the ticket sales and licensing revenue generated by such princess-driven properties as "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin." The studio's most recent offering, however, was a clear disappointment. Although critically acclaimed, last year's "The Princess and the Frog" was the most poorly performing of Disney's recent fairy tales.

In the age of mega-franchises when movies need to appeal to a broad audience to justify a sizable investment, Disney discovered too late that "Princess and the Frog" appealed to too narrow an audience: little girls. This prompted the studio to change the name of its Rapunzel movie to the gender-neutral "Tangled" and shift the lens of its marketing to the film's swashbuckling male costar, Flynn Rider.

Disney hopes "Tangled" will draw boys, teenagers and adults to the theater, succeeding where its frog-prince saga failed. But it's taking no such chances in the future. Its current animation roster includes "Winnie the Pooh," a return to the Hundred Acre Wood, and "Reboot Ralph" — itself a restart of an older project titled "Joe Jump" — about an outdated video game character who's been left behind by the march of technology.

Catmull said he and Lasseter have been encouraging filmmakers to break with safe and predictable formulas and push creative boundaries.

"If you say to somebody, 'You should be doing fairy tales,' it's like saying, 'Don't be risky,'" Catmull said. "We're saying, 'Tell us what's driving you.'"

So why has the clock struck midnight for Disney's fairy tales?

Among girls, princesses and the romanticized ideal they represent — revolving around finding the man of your dreams — have a limited shelf life. With the advent of "tween" TV, the tiara-wearing ideal of femininity has been supplanted by new adolescent role models such as the Disney Channel's Selena Gomez and Nickelodeon's Miranda Cosgrove.

"By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses," said Dafna Lemish, chairwoman of the radio and TV department at Southern Illinois University and an expert in the role of media in children's lives. "They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."

MGA Entertainment, the maker of Bratz dolls, knocked the toy industry's blond bombshell off her stilettos by recognizing how little girls' interests have morphed.

"You've got to go with the times," MGA Chief Executive Isaac Larian said. "You can't keep selling what the mothers and the fathers played with before. You've got to see life through their lens."

Other filmmakers have been grappling with this evolving sensibility.

Bonnie Arnold, an animation veteran who most recently produced DreamWorks Animation's "How to Train Your Dragon," said animated films must vie in the cineplex with effects-laden action films that a generation ago might have been considered more mature fare.

"You see elementary school kids standing in line to see 'Iron Man' or 'Transformers,' " Arnold said. "To be honest, that's who we're all competing with on some level."

In an effort to give the Rapunzel story a more contemporary feel, Catmull and Lasseter pushed the reset button in 2008 and brought in a new directing duo who had both worked on Disney's animated movie "Bolt." The Rapunzel film underwent a "total restart," Catmull said: All the prior work was scrapped and the movie was reconceived as a musical with five songs by Disney's veteran, multiple-Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken.

The only surviving elements, Catmull said, were "the hair, the tower and Rapunzel."

Directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard blended the hallmarks of the classic Disney tale — including sweeping musical numbers and a happily-ever-after ending — with fast-paced action and witty banter associated with more modern animated films.

"If we were told we would one day grow up and direct the 50th animated feature from Disney, it would blow our minds. It's such a great honor," Greno said. "At the same time, it comes with some challenges.... We love classic Disney, but we wanted to invent fresh, new and exciting ideas."

For example, instead of the requisite prince, the directors designed the romantic male lead as a wise-cracking thief who mixes it up with bandits and beer-swilling thugs. The villain, Mother Gothel, isn't the enchantress of the Grimm tale. She's an incarnation of "Mommie Dearest."

In one of the film's musical numbers, "Mother Knows Best," Mother Gothel tells Rapunzel she's "getting kind of chubby" — a line lifted directly from a real-life mother-daughter exchange recounted during a story brainstorming session.

Disney instructed Menken to depart from the heavy Broadway musical-type scoring he made famous in "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast." So the composer borrowed from leaner singer-songwriters of the late 1960s, including Joni Mitchell.

"It's more like handmade music rather than too over-produced," Howard said. "You'll hear a lot of guitar music, especially when Rapunzel is singing.... That was a nice way to break away from what [Menken] had done."

Catmull acknowledges that Disney has a lot riding on the success of "Tangled." The film faces several challenges, not the least of which is that it opens five days after what is expected to be the biggest family event movie of the season, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1." The stakes are particularly high for "Tangled," which by some estimates cost more than $260 million to produce, including six years of development costs.

"On an emotional and morale level," Catmull said. "We really want this to do well and really want the public to like it."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-et-1121-tangled-20101121,0,6692508.story?page=1

:(

Catapharact
21-11-10, 20:15
Proof that there is a God...

Thank goodness.

EmeraldFields
21-11-10, 20:16

Thank goodness.

Did you read their reasoning though?

"By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses," said Dafna Lemish, chairwoman of the radio and TV department at Southern Illinois University and an expert in the role of media in children's lives. "They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:17
WHAT THE ****

Walt Disney would be crushed if he were still here :( So I'm here instead to feel his pain </3

[Xmas]
21-11-10, 20:17
I hate Disney.

Catapharact
21-11-10, 20:18

Stupid reasoning yes, but I personally think there is a better substitute for both Disney and MTV. Its called Anime ;). Most Anime kinda takes realistic worldly situations and compress them down to unrealistic settings. They IMO stimulate as well as entertain.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:21
Stupid reasoning yes, but I personally think there is a better substitute for both Disney and MTV. I call it Anime ;).

Anime is completely different to Disney. I love some animes but it couldn't replace Disney fairytales in the slightest.

ultima espio
21-11-10, 20:21
There are more fairy tales to turn into movies? Well, they've had a good run.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:22
There are more fairy tales to turn into movies? Well, they've had a good run.

Haven't you ever read the complete collection of "The Brother's Grimm"? :p

scoopy_loopy
21-11-10, 20:23
Anime can't replace Disney, because it's completely different.

This is really sad. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:24
Anime can't replace Disney, because it's completely different.

This is really sad. :(

exactly. Different art style, different focuses -- e.g - less focus on characters (in most).

I'm actually really upset about this :( I want to take Disney over :p

Killercowz
21-11-10, 20:25
There's always Pixar right?

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:26
There's always Pixar right?

yeah think so -- but they're not fairy-tales :(

Catapharact
21-11-10, 20:28
Anime is completely different to Disney.

Correct. Disney can only dream about achieving the visual and contextual ambiance that anime presents. A good anime makes you think as well as entertains you. Disney is just pure junk by comparison.

I love some animes but it couldn't replace Disney fairytales in the slightest.

You can sure bet that my children will not be watching Disney.

http://i53.************/zvq1ki.jpg

Killercowz
yeah think so -- but they're not fairy-tales :(

Oh.... but what about Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles?

NRO.
Walt D is doing backflips in his grave. This is just horrible. I grew up with Disney's fairytales, and now it just feels like a big part of my childhood has been ripped from me.

Well done, Jonas Sissies. Well ****ing done.

scoopy_loopy
21-11-10, 20:31
exactly. Different art style, different focuses -- e.g - less focus on characters (in most).

I'm actually really upset about this :( I want to take Disney over :p

I don't think anime has less focus on the characters, but the messages are usually much different or at least vague. Disney has a traditional look and feel, I'm really disappointed. No wonder kids these days are so screwed up, they haven't had a Prince and Princess figure to aspire to! :tea:

amiro1989
21-11-10, 20:31
This is just horrible.... I feel like a part of my childhood is dying :(

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:33
Correct. Disney can only dream about achieving the visual and contextual ambiance that anime presents. A good anime makes you think as well as entertains you. Disney is just pure junk by comparison.

You said anime was a substitute so that's why I said that. And that's actually really sad...

Oh.... but what about Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles?

None of those are fairytales. Touching yes, but no princes and princesses, no castles, no magic. No love stories.

Walt D is doing backflips in his grave. This is just horrible. I grew up with Disney's fairytales, and now it just feels like a big part of my childhood has been ripped from me.

Well done, Jonas Sissies. Well ****ing done.

You share my thoughts exactly! I grew up with Disney fairy-tales and they made me who I am today. My whole family loves Disney and we still watch them all together lol.

@Josh -- all the animes I've seen didn't really focus on the characters in my opinion but yeah I agree with you x

KyleCroft
21-11-10, 20:33
Why does it seem like Disney does things really great at one point, then turns around and completely butchers it.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:37
Do you know what else I'll miss? THE SONGS!

No more Judy Kuhn singing the Princess's songs :(

Lara's home
21-11-10, 20:38
I don't like Disney anymore. Classics are awesome, the new stuff is mindless fun at best.

robm_2007
21-11-10, 20:38

from the anime that i have seen, they are much more dramatic than Disney.

although i do find it funny that the Anti-Disney comic strip you have is anime-ish.

larafan25
21-11-10, 21:02
from the anime that i have seen, they are much more dramatic than disney.

Although i do find it funny that the anti-disney comic strip you have is anime-ish.

manga.

Lara's home
21-11-10, 21:08
manga.

Mango.
Mango and Animu.

Anyway, comparing Anime to Disney is a bit unfair, sine Disney is a company and Anime is anything animated in Japan.

DgoOdz94
21-11-10, 21:14
what the ****

walt disney would be crushed if he were still here :( so i'm here instead to feel his pain </3
qft.

Paperdoll
21-11-10, 21:22
Stupid reasoning yes, but I personally think there is a better substitute for both Disney and MTV. Its called Anime ;). Most Anime kinda takes realistic worldly situations and compress them down to unrealistic settings. They IMO stimulate as well as entertain.

Tentacles and gods are totally realistic worldly situations.

Catapharact
21-11-10, 21:26
Tentacles and gods are totally realistic worldly situations.

Dolls, I know you are into Hentai and all (another thing that I rather not know about you :p) ... But we are talking about GOOD anime here. Take the Gundam series for instance; Political struggle, Complex characterization and engaging storyline. Even the best of Disney can't top that.

Tony9595
21-11-10, 21:27
;5012093']I hate Disney.

This.

AmericanAssassin
21-11-10, 21:28

No.

Catapharact
21-11-10, 21:29
No.

Elaborate.

Spong
21-11-10, 21:30
;5012093']I hate Disney.

Almost made me spit out my coffee :vlol:

I feel sorry for Billy Crystal, he'll be out of a job.

Alpharaider47
21-11-10, 21:33

I can't decide what's worse :vlol: the fact that they're stopping, or as you pointing out, their reasoning for doing so.

Paperdoll
21-11-10, 21:39
Dolls, I know you are into Hentai and all (another thing that I rather not know about you :p) ... But we are talking about GOOD anime here. Take the Gundam series for instance; Political struggle, Complex characterization and engaging storyline. Even the best of Disney can't top that.

For someone who knows anime, your argument still falls flat. The difference is Anime is made for adults, mostly, Disney isn't. It's like comparing Donald The Duck to graphic novels.

Catapharact
21-11-10, 21:42
For someone who knows anime, your argument still falls flat. The difference is Anime is made for adults, mostly, Disney isn't. It's like comparing Donald The Duck to graphic novels.

Gundam Wing and the Gundam series is made for adults? I fail to see how seeing that the main characters are all in their teens, and usually start off in settings like highschool, have friends and a social life, etc. etc.

Sure adults watch it but given the main characters of the show and the projected interactions between them, I think I can say with confidence that these type of animation are ment for kids.

Rai
21-11-10, 21:44
Disney without Fairytales just seems so wrong to me. But with a son, I missed out on seeing the ones released over the last 15 years. I guess Disney has to do what they feel is 'popular' and second guessing what 5 and 6 year old girls prefer.

AmericanAssassin
21-11-10, 21:45
Elaborate.
The story lines of the typical anime might be a lot more complex than most Disney films, but when it comes to animations Disney wins. Anime drawings are the easiest form of "art" by a mile. Plus, half the time it seems as if the surroundings have no motion. They're so simple and boring. This is just my opinion, of course.

Wana b like Lara
21-11-10, 21:45
What BS is this?! :O!!

Wow, what perverted child has she met?! 5-6 Years old and thinking about being hot?! What the hell.

I Still LOVE Disney and the fact that it's a kids thing. i'm lost for words ..

:'(

Catapharact
21-11-10, 21:49
The story lines of the typical anime might be a lot more complex than most Disney films, but when it comes to animations Disney wins. Anime drawings are the easiest form of "art" by a mile. Plus, half the time it seems as if the surroundings have no motion. They're so simple and boring. This is just my opinion, of course.

I definitely disagree. Anime focuses more on character representation and setting impact through visual means and animes usually are more visually engaging compared to any other form of animation out there (one of the reason why most anime characters have very pronounced eyes.) Its something western animators only recently caught up on and tried to copy... And failed miserably at it.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 21:50
qft.

:hug::( xxxxxxxxxxxxx

AmericanAssassin
21-11-10, 21:51
I definitely disagree. Anime focuses more on character representation and setting impact through visual means and animes usually are more visually engaging compared to any other form of animation out there (one of the reason why most anime characters have very pronounced eyes.) Its something western animators only recently caught up on and tried to copy... And failed miserably at it.

To each his own. I'll continue to like my cheesy fairy tales.:p

disapearing-boy
21-11-10, 21:52
It's terrible! I love disney movies, almost everyone I work with and my also friends all love disney and we're in our 20s.. I even know some people who have the songs on their ipods!:p

The princess and the frog was fantastic and had some of the best disney songs I've heard in a long time, I was really hoping for more movies..:(

Lara's home
21-11-10, 21:53

HOW DARE YOU?!
http://www.comtrya.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PantyStockingGarterbelt.jpg

Chocola teapot
21-11-10, 21:56
Disney just performed the most Epic Fail ever Fail'd in all of animation history.

What a ****ing travesty.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 21:57
Please tell me Disneyland and EuroDisney will still have fairytale themes :(

robm_2007
21-11-10, 22:01
manga.

i KNEW someone was going to say that! oh, lordy :p
----------
anyways, most anime ive seen is liked by children but it doesnt seem the typical children's show/movie (at least compared to the US). adn the blatant sexuality in Anime does show that girls dont want to be Princesses any more, like the article says. my 7 year old niece complains that she is too fat, as do all of the other young girls in my family withntheir image issues. and they used to like Disney, but are now obsessed with Anime.

(Without Pixar) Disney isnt as culturally relevant compared to Anime in today's generation (from what ive noticed), whether it be with kids or adults. Disney films are more of a Pipe Dream, teh whole "i'll marry a prince and live in a castle with my magical pony, adn live happly ever after." Anime is much more serious.

its like The Simpsons, both adults and children like it (at least when it was still good), but it's not a show targeted at children.

Lara's home
21-11-10, 22:07
i KNEW someone was going to say that! oh, lordy :p
----------
anyways, most anime ive seen is liked by children but it doesnt seem the typical children's show/movie (at least compared to the US). adn the blatant sexuality in Anime does show that girls dont want to be Princesses any more, like the article says. my 7 year old niece complains that she is too fat, as do all of the other young girls in my family withntheir image issues. and they used to like Disney, but are now obsessed with Anime.

I would rather say it's because of society as a whole... You know, models, pressure, barbies, movies, etc.
It's not like we see too many fat people there either.

Avalon SARL
21-11-10, 22:11
Well, I believe it is because they are doing it all wrong

I mean, the princess and the frg was good,but not allthat great because everything in it was just so obvious.

I know people who said,"WTF. frogs who must find some way to break the spell and become humans again in the stupidest way."
They have few right points in their reasoning (except 6 year old girls wanting to be hot :confused:

Well,if disney would for once consider stop slapping us with teenage girls like hana montannah, avalon high, and many other silly shows they broadcast, whose main characters then become famous and turn into some stupid sluts they can figure out that they caused that rift in the societies minds ;)

I mean, aint there any other fairy tales different from the theme... transforming from animal to human again..." this is the old thing and better be left to the classics

these tales 2d animation ended with Brother Bear

And OMG, TANGLED CSOTED ABOUT 260 MILLION USD :yik:

Yup, this is a very huge risk... not sure it would even make it while they just gave it a 3 week possible score at the box office before they continue with TRON :confused:

Legend of Lara
21-11-10, 22:12
HOW DARE YOU?!
http://www.comtrya.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PantyStockingGarterbelt.jpg

Panty & Stocking is, like, a modern classic that our children and our children's children will remember and cherish for eternity.

ANYWAY, it's clear that Disney is more concerned with Schmannah Whatever's Breasticular Fashion Show than the classic princesses or whatever. It was just a matter of time.

ANYWAY 2, anime is not just rape porn or filled with pretentious psychobabble or 500-episode fighting shows. Anime is just cartoons, though in Japan they view animation as just another medium comparable to live-action. Basically, animation as a whole doesn't have the "just for kids" stigma over there as it does in a good chunk of the western world. There is anime for adults and teens, but also for little children where magical princesses fly on winged ponies and marry princes.

robm_2007
21-11-10, 22:13
I would rather say it's because of society as a whole... You know, models, pressure, barbies, movies, etc.
It's not like we see too many fat people there either.

yes i know. but the anime that is watched my kids is often sexual, without the actual act. it mores ties into how kids are having sex, drinking, smoking, etc, earlier than previous generations.

not that Anime enforces it or is the cause, but i think that's why it's so popular among kids these days, beacuse its not really a kiddy show; it's a more serious and grown-up take on "cartoons."

TR FAN 18
21-11-10, 22:21
;5012093']I hate Disney.

Yes, Disney has gone completely downhill now. Remember when it was all about ANIMATED films and Mickey Mouse? Now it's all High School Musical and other stupid tween rubbish that they show.

BTW, when I was watching TV the other day, I saw an advert for "Santa Paws - The Search For Santa Paws" and I was like "WTF?!" when I saw it. It has talking dogs. Oh, real original Disney, there haven't been any films with talking dogs yet! [/sarcasm]*cough*Cats & Dogs*cough*

tonyme
21-11-10, 22:21
Disney's just plain WRONG ever since the mid-00s. So I'm not surprised, but yeah. It's horrible.

The Disney classics are my favorite things in the entire world, and they will never leave my mind and heart for one day of my life. There's a reason they're called 'classics' but I grew up with them. I feel sorry for the children of this time, but also kinda glad that they can witness the movies we saw growing up in DVD, BluRay, etc. that's not so bad... but yeah, Disney's just... Dead. Today's kids have to go through silly 3D movies with no real sense of magic and fantasy to them. And please, oh God please, don't even get me started on Disney Channel and the horrifying shows/'original' movies they've been doing the last few years.

Cause I won't stop.

Paperdoll
21-11-10, 22:22
Gundam Wing and the Gundam series is made for adults? I fail to see how seeing that the main characters are all in their teens, and usually start off in settings like highschool, have friends and a social life, etc. etc.

Sure adults watch it but given the main characters of the show and the projected interactions between them, I think I can say with confidence that these type of animation are ment for kids.

Give me more examples and I'll even try to consider your argument.

Avalon SARL
21-11-10, 22:25
^^^ yup...

Well lately there is this new video of Miley cyrus nude and singing such a stupid horrible song with a terrible voice.

s this what Disney really aims releasing into our world :confused::confused:

robm_2007
21-11-10, 22:26
BTW, when I was watching TV the other day, I saw an advert for "Santa Paws - The Search For Santa Paws" and I was like "WTF?!" when I saw it. It has talking dogs. Oh, real original Disney, there haven't been any films with talking dogs yet! [/sarcasm]*cough*Cats & Dogs*cough*

the stupid ass dog movies are spinoffs of the Air Bud franchise. hes a dog who played sporsts and other stupid stuff. they are REALLY lame.

anyway, i believe that those dogs are the Buddies or somethihng. they are Air Bud's puppies. those films make me hate golden retrievers even more with each new release :pi:

Legend of Lara
21-11-10, 22:27
Well lately there is this new video of Miley cyrus nude and singing such a stupid horrible song with a terrible voice.

s this what Disney really aims releasing into our world :confused::confused:

I'm pretty sure that's not Disney's fault. Or I could be mistaken.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 22:28
You lot are talking about Disney's dog movies? What about 'Eight Below'? That was Disney and it was original and excellent <3

Punaxe
21-11-10, 22:29

It's Donald Duck. Duck is his last name.

As for the whole anime thing: it's clear why Catapharact's tastes lie elsewhere, but I have yet to hear from him why that means children should be kept from watching Disney's interpretations of mankind's folklore.

I agree with most of what has been said. Anime/manga artists come a dime a dozen and often the animation uses cheap, distracting techniques, whereas each animated Disney title has its own new style fit for the atmosphere and in my opinion pulls the viewer into the richly presented world. Of course this is a matter of taste; I for one think it would be a shame to lose what is possibly the world's greatest fairytale-interpreter, and would like to hear from Cat not why he prefers something else, but why he is actually glad they are leaving.

Catapharact
21-11-10, 22:32
Give me more examples and I'll even try to consider your argument.

- Code Geass (probably one of the most engaging and mind blowing piece of animation out there) : The main protagonist is a teen; Goes to a private highschool, etc. etc.

- Robotech series: Again same situation as Code Geass and Gundam series.

- Eden of the East: Little girl visiting the U.S. with a normal life and a normal outlook on things runs into a mysterious strange boy. Heh... Sounds like Twilight... Only its actually 10 times better :p.

EDIT:

As for the whole anime thing: it's clear why Catapharact's tastes lie elsewhere, but I have yet to hear from him why that means children should be kept from watching Disney's interpretations of mankind's folklore.

It was more of a sarcastic joke like remark :p, but Disney's spin on folklore is so watered down, it IMO ends up being an insult rather then an homage to the folklore in question. Disney takes the basic concept of the story and turns it into a flimsy comical musical IMO.

Lara's home
21-11-10, 22:33
- Code Geass (probably one of the most engaging and mind blowing piece of animation out there) : The main protagonist is a teen; Goes to a private highschool, etc. etc.

- Robotech series: Again same situation as Code Geass and Gundam series.

- Eden of the East: Little girl visiting the U.S. with a normal life and a normal outlook on things runs into a mysterious strange boy. Heh... Sounds like Twilight... Only its actually 10 times better :p.

You would show Code Geass or Gurren Lagann to your 4-year old kid? :I

Tombraiderx08
21-11-10, 22:34
They better end this with a bang, dammit.

Lara's home
21-11-10, 22:35
. Anime/manga artists come a dime a dozen and often the animation uses cheap, distracting techniques, whereas each animated Disney title has its own new style fit for the atmosphere and in my opinion

You lost me. What cheap, distracting techniques do anime often use, that Disney doesn't?

So it's still pretty bad?

Legend of Lara
21-11-10, 22:36

Show Gurren Lagann to your 4-year old and they'll grow up to be manlier than manly!

SpongeBob Lover
21-11-10, 22:37
Disney's just plain WRONG ever since the mid-00s. So I'm not surprised, but yeah. It's horrible.

The Disney classics are my favorite things in the entire world, and they will never leave my mind and heart for one day of my life. There's a reason they're called 'classics' but I grew up with them. I feel sorry for the children of this time, but also kinda glad that they can witness the movies we saw growing up in DVD, BluRay, etc. that's not so bad... but yeah, Disney's just... Dead. Today's kids have to go through silly 3D movies with no real sense of magic and fantasy to them. And please, oh God please, don't even get me started on Disney Channel and the horrifying shows/'original' movies they've been doing the last few years.

Cause I won't stop.

Absolutely Agree!! :)

Catapharact
21-11-10, 22:37

The first anime I watched as a kid (I was 9 I think) was lenseman and believe me... It was way more violent compared to Code Geass.

Lara's home
21-11-10, 22:38
Show Gurren Lagann to your 4-year old and they'll grow up to be manlier than manly!

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/154/8/1/Gurren_Lagann_Manly_Error_by_PearlWeapon.png

Catapharact
21-11-10, 22:53
So it's still pretty bad?

Surprisingly, no given the fact it deals with serious subjects like Child Soldiers and terrorism. Gundam Series and Code Geass deal with the same issues as well. You won't see Disney tackling such subjects anytime soon :p.

Lee croft
21-11-10, 23:05
I saw the trailer to Tangled; not even Willow Smith can whip her hair like Rapunzel :ohn:

ip_0CFKTO9E

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 23:06
I saw the trailer to Tangled; not even Willow Smith can whip her hair like Rapunzel :ohn:

lmao! :vlol:qft :ohn:

Chocola teapot
21-11-10, 23:07

ip_0CFKTO9E

Son, I am DISSAPOINT.

Lee croft
21-11-10, 23:16
lmao! :vlol:qft :ohn:
:hug:
Son, I am DISSAPOINT.

eh? :o

lord gaga
21-11-10, 23:27
Walt disney just fell off his cloud in heven!
Disney is know for fairytales and i think the only excuse is that they can't be creative enough to continue with them. also i was hopeing for a tinker bell 4 as i really love those :( say what you want about that but tinker bell brought back disney magic when they turned to shows with cheap laughs like hannah montanna and shake it up.

robm_2007
21-11-10, 23:32
You lot are talking about Disney's dog movies? What about 'Eight Below'? That was Disney and it was original and excellent <3

8 Below was suprisingly good. but the other Air Bud adn Buddies movies are really terrible.

Walt disney just fell off his cloud in heven!

You really think that that Anti-Semite with the frozen head went to Heaven? :pi:

Ceamonks890
21-11-10, 23:39
Oh man, that sucks for those that like Disney's fairytale movies:(

The only real animated Disney movies I liked were Aladdin and the Lion King. The rest not so much.

Now that leaves me to wonder. What new animated Disney movies are they going to put in the Kingdom Hearts series, now that Disney aren't doing fairytale movies anymore?

robm_2007
21-11-10, 23:45
Now that leaves me to wonder. What new animated Disney movies are they going to put in the Kingdom Hearts series, now that Disney aren't doing fairytale movies anymore?

Although, im not a fan of KH, I'm hoping they incorporate Pixar. But leave Hannah Montana and Marvel away from KH. A Pixar inclusion might make me want to buy the games :p

Encore
22-11-10, 00:10
I think they're just rolling with the times and trying to survive from a marketing standpoint, because kids don't care about fairy tales anymore - at least not how they are presented by Disney classics. That's the sad fact, and that's why Disney has been slowly dying for a long time now. If you consider how successful Shrek was when it first came out, it's almost a proof in itself - Shrek pretty much destroys all the fairy tale cliches and mocks them to death, and the kids loved it. Hell... I remember how my little cousins, some years ago, described Pinocchio and Dumbo as boring and ridiculous, and how it made me feel old because as a child I loved those movies. It was quite a shock, but mentalities change in different generations. That's inevitable.

About the whole "anime vs. Disney" debate, truth is (and has been said before, yet ignored) that anime is an extremely broad definition and Disney is just one company. If anything, I'd compare Disney with Studio Ghibli, in which case, Studio Ghibli wins by a very long shot - artistically, thematically, musically, everything. Studio Ghibli found a way to keep fantasy relevant in modern day animation, while Disney completely missed the boat a long time ago with their "all or nothing" approach - either "let's make this completely old school again" or "let's completely destroy any shred of magic left in this script". And now, evidently, they're too desperate to try new, creative ideas so they're just flowing with the market studies.

Ceamonks890
22-11-10, 03:17
@robm_2007, oh I don't know. I wouldn't mind having Sora meet Spidey, the Hulk and the X-Men and having them fight Venom, Magneto or any Hulk villian:o But of course, I doubt that Disney and Square-Enix would include Marvel Comics characters, since it would just ruin Marvel's reputation.

TheBloodRed
22-11-10, 03:22
Haven't you ever read the complete collection of "The Brother's Grimm"? :p

I've seen plenty of Brothers Grimm cartoons and I just wish Disney would make some versions of the tales because they would be sooo awesome!

Though I do admit, the Haim Saban Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics ones were fantastic!! I actually have the original VHS! :ton:

My fave is the Worn Out Dancing Shoes... LOVE IT!

6O1LZviQBDM
--

PLUS! They forgot this fashionable fairy tale princess:
http://www.girlsentertainmentnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sheva_alomar_fairytale_costum_by_vergil_yamato.jpg

Twilight
22-11-10, 05:13
Why don't they just tear down the Disney castle in Disney worlds and replace it with a giant missle and send it up their ass.

Alpharaider47
22-11-10, 05:28
Why don't they just tear down the Disney castle in Disney worlds and replace it with a giant missle and send it up their ass.

Well... they could strap Buzz Lightyear to it then :whi:

Ikas90
22-11-10, 05:53
Oh well.. there are plenty of Disney films. As long as they continue to be watched, Disney will never die.

Nothing beats the classics.

Avalon SARL
22-11-10, 06:42
^^^

Well, Tangled cost 260 million USD and just after its release by 3 weeks only they are releasing Tron 2 which, rumours saying may be the highest movie budget ever somewhere above 280 million USD :yik:, excluding the advertizing campaigns disney will spend on these movies
O.O.
I am not sure about this...

Just a 3 weeks time line between the two movies...
That's a very huge risk, spending lots of money yet, being unsure what the returns from the movies will be :confused::confused:

Alpharaider47
22-11-10, 06:50
^ Tron is probably gonna be a massive hit though. They'll probably have all the fans of the first one, their kids, and then some :p It's one of few movies that I think will be really really good in 3D, but it's got the premise and such to actually utilize that and not seem out of place. I saw the trailer in 3D and was pretty impressed :p

patriots88888
22-11-10, 09:02

As sad as it might be, I would say that is fairly accurate. And Disney sets that example to kids about what is important...

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Johnnay
22-11-10, 09:39

Thank goodness.

this:D

I agree with Cat here. the reason they put is stupid. im pretty sure by the time theyre 5 or possibly even around 10 years old they will wish to be princesses whilst watching these films

Anime is completely different to Disney. I love some animes but it couldn't replace Disney fairytales in the slightest.

Well Duh.. Anime/Manga is Cartoony Images made in Japan whilst Disneys Creations are made in America and look different to Anime and dont have the Cartoony Feeling compared to Anime yet are recommended for small kids not big kids like us.. only kiddies watch disney/amine/manga and thats a universal rule:)(not counting Adult Amine

WRONG

Dear Carla you forget to recognize Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Digimon, Yugi-Oh, BlazBlue, Sailor Moon and other kiddies shows which are Anime:).. So Dont think Anime is mainly for Adults, as Cat pretty much easily suggested.

90's anime had a good storyline( Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z). and Animations in Disney are better really:). so i have to agree with you there.

EscondeR
22-11-10, 09:44
3 thoughts after reading the OP:

The fairy tales were not so bad actually and IMO not only [little] girls watched them.

Hmm... I prefer a princess ideal for a girl than a "female dog" :rolleyes: Let them have their childhood, they'll surely become spoiled soon anyway :mis:

This is done under the momentary impression again. They don't foresee the future... Just like the developers of current TR games.

patriots88888
22-11-10, 11:55
I agree with Cat here. the reason they put is stupid. im pretty sure by the time theyre 5 or possibly even around 10 years old they will wish to be princesses whilst watching these films

What imaginary world are you living in? Just look at all the crap that's being sold to children, who they idolize, and what they are most interested in and you'll see how wrong you and Cat are. Times have changed, whether you see that or not.

Lara Croft!
22-11-10, 12:08
I love fairy tales, but as they said if there are no fresh ideas then it's better to stop.

Legends
22-11-10, 12:13
They have already stopped making Disney classics, so no surprise there. And the Princess and Frog thing was awful! They have made no good cartoon movies since the 90's.

Legend of Lara
22-11-10, 12:14
Carla you forget to recognize Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Digimon, Yugi-Oh, BlazBlue, Sailor Moon and other kiddies shows which are Anime:).. So Dont think Anime is mainly for Adults, as Cat pretty much easily suggested.

Not only is that not for kids, it's not even anime. XD

Sharon_14
22-11-10, 12:16
oh well, it doesn't seem like something people should be upset about, disney is just not what it was 20 years ago anymore, people should accept that and move on.

Mikky
22-11-10, 12:39
There's always Kingdom Hearts.

interstellardave
22-11-10, 12:45
Their reasoning is perfectly accurate... that's reality; you can't blame Disney for that.

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 13:04

ip_0CFKTO9E

"She's grounded...like forever!" Well, we know who they're marketing to :rolleyes:

I think they're just rolling with the times and trying to survive from a marketing standpoint, because kids don't care about fairy tales anymore - at least not how they are presented by Disney classics. That's the sad fact, and that's why Disney has been slowly dying for a long time now. If you consider how successful Shrek was when it first came out, it's almost a proof in itself - Shrek pretty much destroys all the fairy tale cliches and mocks them to death, and the kids loved it. Hell... I remember how my little cousins, some years ago, described Pinocchio and Dumbo as boring and ridiculous, and how it made me feel old because as a child I loved those movies. It was quite a shock, but mentalities change in different generations. That's inevitable.

About the whole "anime vs. Disney" debate, truth is (and has been said before, yet ignored) that anime is an extremely broad definition and Disney is just one company. If anything, I'd compare Disney with Studio Ghibli, in which case, Studio Ghibli wins by a very long shot - artistically, thematically, musically, everything. Studio Ghibli found a way to keep fantasy relevant in modern day animation, while Disney completely missed the boat a long time ago with their "all or nothing" approach - either "let's make this completely old school again" or "let's completely destroy any shred of magic left in this script". And now, evidently, they're too desperate to try new, creative ideas so they're just flowing with the market studies.

That's pretty much true. I'm sad to think that no more fairytale movies will be made, but now that I think about it they haven't made a good fairytale movie in years anyway so I guess this is just making it official now. It's probably better if they just stop rather than trying to turn old classics into some watered-down valley-girl crap like the Rapunzel trailer implies with the marketing text. Yeah, better if they just stop :(

Shark_Blade
22-11-10, 13:20
You guys speaks the sad truth. Yeah it's better they stop, at least for now. :( If you don't have the juice to make good fairy tales, then don't.

"She's grounded...like forever". Seriously? I cringe at that, a lot.

And the Prince seems like a cocky self obsessed *******, which makes me wanna mash his head violently into a pulp.

Lee croft
22-11-10, 13:22
It is just a cartoon :p

Dream_Raider
22-11-10, 13:30
Like...forever??? I thought it was a dialogue and that would at least be fine, but.......it was WRITTEN.

*facepalm*

But then it is a good thing, if this is what they mean by fairy tales now....Unless they plan on making something like the old masterpieces, then this is a bad thing

interstellardave
22-11-10, 13:43
Where was "like forever" written?

Shark_Blade
22-11-10, 13:54
^In the youtube trailer of Rapunzel/Tangled/Whatever.. at 1:36.

interstellardave
22-11-10, 13:58
Oh, well, that's really not a big deal. Far greater abuses of the language have been perpetrated all throughout society.

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 14:01
Oh, well, that's really not a big deal. Far greater abuses of the language have been perpetrated all throughout society.

It's more that they did it on purpose to try to appeal to spoiled brats :p It kind of ruins the Disney image for me to see them competing with MTV and Bratz dolls and whatnot.

interstellardave
22-11-10, 14:04
It's more that they did it on purpose to try to appeal to spoiled brats :p It kind of ruins the Disney image for me to see them competing with MTV and Bratz dolls and whatnot.

You're right on the money; that's why I see no problem with it... well, I would disagree with the statement "spoiled brats" though.

If their movies don't resonate with kids anymore that's just a fact. Clearly doing the same thing over and over again has lost its appeal; I don't see where anyone is really "to blame". It just happens over time.

The image of a princess is so outdated it's not funny!

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 14:14
You're right on the money; that's why I see no problem with it... well, I would disagree with the statement "spoiled brats" though.

If their movies don't resonate with kids anymore that's just a fact. Clearly doing the same thing over and over again has lost its appeal; I don't see where anyone is really "to blame". It just happens over time.

The image of a princess is so outdated it's not funny!

It just seems wrong to me to take a classic princess story and turn it into...that :p But it seems like Disney agrees, hence the end of the fairytale movies after this one.

patriots88888
22-11-10, 14:21
It just seems wrong to me to take a classic princess story and turn it into...that :p But it seems like Disney agrees, hence the end of the fairytale movies after this one.

They only agree because they know better about what will appeal to and bring the bucks in from their target audience. If kids still liked this, you bet they would still churn it out. XD

sandygrimm
22-11-10, 14:25
No wonder they been putting modern twists on The princess and the Frog and Tangled :|
They could still make them appealing, specially if they ad the 3D factor. beauty and The beast tried a 2D -3D type of effect.

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 14:49
They only agree because they know better about what will appeal to and bring the bucks in from their target audience. If kids still liked this, you bet they would still churn it out. XD

I meant that they realized it's better to just make new stories as opposed to taking classics and trashing them, which doesn't appeal to the new audience anyway :p If the new audience doesn't like classic stories, that's not going to change just because Disney made the characters stereotypically modern. So rather than continue down this path of modernizing classics, Disney decided to just stop and try something new.

patriots88888
22-11-10, 14:55
I meant that they realized it's better to just make new stories as opposed to taking classics and trashing them, which doesn't appeal to the new audience anyway :p If the new audience doesn't like classic stories, that's not going to change just because Disney made the characters stereotypically modern. So rather than continue down this path of modernizing classics, Disney decided to just stop and try something new.

Well, it seemed as though you were implying that there was some form of principle behind it all. When in reality, the only true principle here and all they really care about is the $! :p

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 14:59
Well, it seemed as though you were implying that there was some form of principle behind it all. When in reality, the only true principle here and all they really care about is the $! :p

I wasn't really arguing morality :p More along the lines that nobody likes a mish-mash attempt to blend things that have no business being together. People who like the classic style will resent the caricatured attempts to be modern, and people who like the modern style won't be interested in a story that's based on a classic. Of course I'm speaking in generalities here, but that's how marketing stuff usually works :p And of course there are plenty of successful cases where an old story has been retold in a modern way, but what I saw in that Rapunzel trailer certainly didn't look like one of them XD Rather it was painfully obvious that the modern stuff didn't belong and was only tacked on for marketing reasons.

sandygrimm
22-11-10, 15:00
They can still make a lot of $$ as long as they make it 3D. I dunno bout others, but I'd go just fro that experience:P

patriots88888
22-11-10, 15:04
I wasn't really arguing morality :p More along the lines that nobody likes a mish-mash attempt to blend things that have no business being together. People who like the classic style will resent the caricatured attempts to be modern, and people who like the modern style won't be interested in a story that's based on a classic. Of course I'm speaking in generalities here, but that's how marketing stuff usually works :p And of course there are plenty of successful cases where an old story has been retold in a modern way, but what I saw in that Rapunzel trailer certainly didn't look like one of them XD Rather it was painfully obvious that the modern stuff didn't belong and was only tacked on for marketing reasons.

LOL! When has morality ever mattered to the entertainment industry? :p

The bottom line to Disney (and all the others is), we'll show it if you go it! XD!

Dina_Croft
22-11-10, 15:17
Τhe reason is so stupid but,

Thank God.

Shark_Blade
22-11-10, 15:23
They can still make a lot of $$ as long as they make it 3D. I dunno bout others, but I'd go just fro that experience:P
Sadly I'm not a fan of 3D gimmicks. Paying that extra buck for it is ridiculous as well imo. If a movie is good, it will be good -with or without 3D.

Anyway, if Disney is going with the flow of the market (the "fart jokes, bratz girls trying to be hot at young age" kind of crowd) then I think they're going to loose their competitive edge by being too similar to the outside environment.

They're always unique with their magic and fairy tale stories. For them to change, and be something similar outside there is just not going to be good for them in the long run imo.

I still think the magic/fairy tale formula that they used is still workable, only to be used in a different direction. They tried "modernizing" Princess and the Frog (and it failed, according to them) and they tried it on Rapunzel/Tangled/Whatever as well..which I feel wouldn't be as big imo.

They might want to steer away from "modernizing" it and move it in a newer, fresh direction. Tell good interesting story, without the dumb jokes. I could only take as much silly jokes in movies in moderate, and the good stories will be remembered for many years to come.

In business, you've got to be bold and take risk. Just being the same as like the other crowd will only bite you in the end.

This goes to you as well CD! Your games are mediocre, even lower than the average games out there!

Lemmie
22-11-10, 16:23
Stupid reasoning yes, but I personally think there is a better substitute for both Disney and MTV. Its called Anime ;).

Anime characters have stupid faces and ridiculous hair.

lara c. fan
22-11-10, 16:32

Not all of them... In fact, most of the ones I've watched don't. Of course, they all have big eyes, but that's a way of conveying their emotions, if my memory serves me well.

Lemmie
22-11-10, 16:36
As far as I can see, they all have the same nose and mouth.

Chocola teapot
22-11-10, 16:38
Τhe reason is so stupid but,

Thank God.

In replacement is Hannah Montana and Crew...

Are you ****ing serious?

:vlol:

lara c. fan
22-11-10, 16:38
As far as I can see, they all have the same nose and mouth.

How does that mean they have stupid faces and/or stupid hair? Or do you retract that statement? :p

And that may be so, but most of these things are put out as TV series. You can't really expect them to have all the subtle nuances of difference in there.

Lemmie
22-11-10, 16:42
How does that mean they have stupid faces and/or stupid hair? Or do you retract that statement? :p

And that may be so, but most of these things are put out as TV series. You can't really expect them to have all the subtle nuances of difference in there.

I certainly do not retract that statement. Anyway, it's a statement of opinion and not of fact - even although I think it is plain to see.

It is an art style that bores me, quite frankly. :o

Simochka
22-11-10, 16:53
Lol I can't stop thinking about The simpsons movie

"Look at me, I’m the mascot of an evil corporation"

I haven't watched a new disney movie in years. I love the classics like Alice in wonderland, the lionking, aladdin etc.. Too bad they new movies and series sucks ass

Catapharact
22-11-10, 17:04

Why do you think more and more serious themed animes are catching on?

Yes there is the occasional Stephanie Myers, or Lady Gag Gag who has to spoil things for us who want to shape the next generation of youth into a more imaginative, astute, intelligent and useful members of society :p, but as I see it, if you raise our youth with proper given insight about the problems that effect our world in an early age (in a somewhat complex and emotive medium of communication) you can sure bet that they will develop an interest in worldly affairs. If you keep on throwing trash at them and demote their potential to kiddish gimpiness (i.e. Britney , Gag gag or MTV and their antics) then you are not exactly setting a high standard for them to gauge their intelligence with :p.

That is what I like about serious themed animes; They present REAL and COMPLEX world issues in a fantastical themed settings. Characters in such settings have to deal with morally questionable situations, and have to deal with things like wars, genocides, bigotry, terrorism, political corruption, etc. etc. It makes a child question things about the REAL world.

My little nephew LOVES the Gundam 00 series (well... the fact that the main protagonist is a Muslim who is questioning his beliefs kinda got him interested in the anime :p.) I stay in touch with him via skype and he asks plenty of co-related questions between the anime itself and the world around us (particularly the idea of religious extremism and political corruption.) I swear he will put half this forum to shame with his insight on things.

THAT is the type of digital entertainment that I can back and support.

Lets have a look at the typical Disney Princesses that we have seen over the years:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/how-disney-princess-works-13.jpg

Yeah I see a GREAT deal of diversity in their facial features [/SARCASAM]

Now lets compare them to a princess from an anime (Princess Marina Ismail.)

http://www.nautiljon.com/images/perso/grandes/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00/marina_ismail.jpg

Difference? The typical Disney Princess in focused on herself and wants a prince of sweep down and save her. Princess Ismail is leading a war torn nation towards stability and peace and has to make difficult political decisions for her people.

Hmmm... I wonder which role model will I choose for my daughters :whi:.

xcrushterx
22-11-10, 17:08
I don't think it's ridiculous to say that the vast majority of children would prefer a Disney princess movie over an anime.

I love anime, but Disney is irreplaceable for a child.

Dina_Croft
22-11-10, 17:19
In replacement is Hannah Montana and Crew...

Are you ****ing serious?

:vlol:

Oh yes I am.

Come on Disney's fairytales have always been a bit cheesy.

interstellardave
22-11-10, 17:25
Princess Hannah grinding on a stripper pole... I'm just sayin'... :p

Nah, jk, don't fear, that's not going to happen... I think... :pi:

Shark_Blade
22-11-10, 17:27
Now lets compare them to a princess from an anime (Princess Marina Ismail.)

http://www.nautiljon.com/images/perso/grandes/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00/marina_ismail.jpg

Difference? The typical Disney Princess in focused on herself and wants a prince of sweep down and save her. Princess Ismail is leading a war torn nation towards stability and peace and has to make difficult political decisions for her people.

Hmmm... I wonder which role model will I choose for my daughters :whi:.Sounds like Mulan.

larson n natla
22-11-10, 17:33
Ok so I didn't like Disney's smiley everything will be fine and covered in raindrops view of life but I secretly don't want them to stop.

Jeez I suppose it will be HANNAH XXXTANA soon enough... :p

Carbonek_0051
22-11-10, 18:49
Don't know if it's been posted yet but:

A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come. - Ed Catmull
[Source] (http://www.facebook.com/Disney)

So yeah. :p

Lee croft
22-11-10, 18:59
The world is a better place again ^_^

Catapharact
22-11-10, 19:00
Ah crud... L.A. Times you guys so know how to tease people. *Sigh* well I can wait a few years for Disney to finally drop its projects.

remote91
22-11-10, 19:02
sounds like mulan.
hi-oh!

Catapharact
22-11-10, 19:04
Sounds like Mulan.

... Without the stupidity, the musical segments, and the totally ridiculous clumsy personalities ;).

remote91
22-11-10, 19:06
Aren't you supposed to make something that appeals to children and not one of those ****ed up anime things?

Carbonek_0051
22-11-10, 19:07
Ah crud... L.A. Times you guys so know how to tease people. *Sigh* well I can wait a few years for Disney to finally drop its projects.
Have fun waiting. Winnie the Pooh and King of the Elves are already in the works and I can guarantee that Disney will never drop fairy-tales. They are the core of Disney and will always be that way. :)

Catapharact
22-11-10, 19:09
Have fun waiting. Winnie the Pooh and King of the Elves are already in the works and I can guarantee that Disney will never drop fairy-tales. They are the core of Disney and will always be that way. :)

... Until the market forces them to change or go bankrupt ;). It will happen sooner or later since I can guarantee you that there are plenty of free lance animation firms which can easily out do Disney's stink worthy attempt at retelling fables.

Carbonek_0051
22-11-10, 19:19
... Until the market forces them to change or go bankrupt ;). It will happen sooner or later since I can guarantee you that there are plenty of free lance animation firms which can easily out do Disney's stink worthy attempt at retelling fables.
Doubt it, while you think they stink most of thier films are both successful with critics and audiences. Hell, Beauty & the Beast was the first animated film to ever get nominated for Best Film in the Academy Awards.

Lemmie
22-11-10, 19:31
Lets have a look at the typical Disney Princesses that we have seen over the years:

Yeah I see a GREAT deal of diversity in their facial features [/SARCASAM]

...but they have excellent hair.

Avalon SARL
22-11-10, 19:45
I beleive, that what they want to do, is not keep doing only Pixar movies.

Disney animators want 2d movies back, with paintings by human artists and not images rendered via max or 3d programs.

I guess they want to just stick away for a while from all these stories regarding a princess wearing a beautiful gown or going singing in the woods and playing with animals :p

This is because people are more interested in the old princesses and the audience need no more and another factor is that any new characters are not being genuine...
just like they are borrowing examples from their past movies and putting them in the new characters which make the movies fail and not feel true and genuine.

The plan with making 2d movies,but regarding different plots, different stories and new experiences.
I dont want to believe that they aim to just what the modern society demands like girls want to be hot.
They can still make very good movies with breathtaking plots and moralistic themes targeted for everyone, youngsters and adults

Anime istotally something different, and most of it is pretty awkward and the characters are so dull.

Everything nowadays is taking the path "Action Hero" -Batman -Grendeizer-
But these movies are just hits because of the graphics and visuals they have, but they dont live the hype forever like a movie with a strong theme.

Imagine how popular Disney movies are...
We are speaking of something fromthe early thirties...

up from 1920's till 1999-2002... beginning by Mickey Mouse and Snow White down to Tarzan...
This is some massive amount of years with unforgettable movies

Movies these days will return you millions, but I dont think there will be these movies that will continue to live and survive with us hundreds of years asdid these past movies :)

sandygrimm
22-11-10, 19:48

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/098/6/1/pink_makes_ariel_cry_by_bri_chan.jpg

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 19:51
Doubt it, while you think they stink most of thier films are both successful with critics and audiences. Hell, Beauty & the Beast was the first animated film to ever get nominated for Best Film in the Academy Awards.

Sadly I don't think Disney will ever top Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, or Fantasia. The trailer for Tangled was posted earlier in the thread and it seemed like a really shallow attempt to get a larger audience :(

Lara's home
22-11-10, 19:54

Then suddenly... Beatrice.
http://www.otakultura.com/wp-content/uploads/Witch.jpg

Carbonek_0051
22-11-10, 19:57
Sadly I don't think Disney will ever top Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, or Fantasia. The trailer for Tangled was posted earlier in the thread and it seemed like a really shallow attempt to get a larger audience :(
I don't think they will top it either, but all the animated films after were good if not as good as B&tB. Last year's Princess & the Frog was a really good film that captured all the charm of the classics.

EmeraldFields
22-11-10, 19:59

I think we all hope they are able to get back to the same level as they were during the Disney Renaissance. But yeah I agree Tangled is not the right direction. Although I'll end up going to the movies to see it. :p

Avalon SARL
22-11-10, 19:59

This movie has got very great visuals,but Rapunzel looks like some kind of freak, especially when holding that pan.
I think it will flop :(
It will have a huge auidence,but I dont think it will cover the estimated 260 million usd costs :eek:

EscondeR
22-11-10, 20:01
I don't think they will top it either, but all the animated films after were good if not as good as B&tB. Last year's Princess & the Frog was a really good film that captured all the charm of the classics.

Oh, yeah... Now you defend the classics :mis: It really depends on the subject, doesn't it? ;)

:D

Carbonek_0051
22-11-10, 20:03
^You're so funny.I think we all hope they are able to get back to the same level as they were during the Disney Renaissance. But yeah I agree Tangled is not the right direction. Although I'll end up going to the movies to see it. :p
Princess & the Frog! :p

I'm not too excited about Tangled but to my understanding it's supposed to be good according to early viewers. Which means the marketing so far represent it terribly. xD

EmeraldFields
22-11-10, 20:06
Princess & the Frog! :p

I'm not too excited about Tangled but to my understanding it's supposed to be good according to early viewers. Which means the marketing so far represent it terribly. xD

I still haven't seen it. I heard it was good though! I'm getting Netflix next month so I will get to see all of the movies I've been missing! :cln:

Yeah I think they're purposely not focusing on the "princess" aspect of it in the advertising because PATF wasn't as "big" as they thought it was going to be. Which is sad because Rapuzel should be about the princess and not the theif guy or whoever he is! :p

Ward Dragon
22-11-10, 20:08

The article said that Princess and the Frog didn't do that well at the box office so after Tangled, Disney is done making official Princess movies. The other movies that you named (Winnie the Pooh and King of the Elves) aren't princess movies as far as I know :p, so I think the article might be right. Disney isn't done making movies of course, but they're probably going in a new direction with future projects.

That's entirely possible. The animation quality did look quite good in the trailer, but it was hard to appreciate it with the stupid way the movie was presented :p I hope that you're right and it is just a marketing thing which doesn't reflect the movie itself.

Carbonek_0051
22-11-10, 20:12
@EmeraldFields: Definitely watch it. :tmb:

That seems to be what they are doing, and it's a tad annoyining. I still plan on seeing it and giving it a fair chance. Mainly for the music. :p

@Jenni: Well Disney said the article is false. I'm sure there will be another Princess film in the future especially if Tangled does well. The reason I think P&tF "flopped" was because it was released around the time Avatar came out. It was a hit with critics.

ajrich17901
22-11-10, 21:48
Don't believe everything ya read, this would cripple Disney. It's the only thing they really have going for them anymore. And personally speaking, I cannot wait for Tangled, it actually looks really good and comical. Also nice to see the Guy getting his time in the spotlight for once.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-11-10, 21:51

That's a fan art though, isn't it?

Legend 4ever
22-11-10, 22:37
I can't believe some people have no respect for Disney legacy. You're allowed to not like those movies, but please understand that millions of children grew up on those and there's absolutely nothing wrong with them(or the movies). We do not all walk around thinking that our prince will one day come and make it all better, or that we will rise up from the dead if a prince kisses us or whatever. But at four, five or six, it's harmless to think that way.

After hearing the news, I was at first sad, but then I realized the last Disney movie I liked was Emperor's New Groove and that was in 2001. Last year, I was totally disappointed by The Princess and the Frog. I actually fell asleep during the first forty minutes. The movie just felt bland and lacked substance, and Tangled doesn't look any better. I guess this could be a good choice after all.

Legend of Lara
22-11-10, 23:05
That's a fan art though, isn't it?

Does it matter? That's how they look like... D:

Uzi master
22-11-10, 23:53
dosnt everyone know they can just watch the movies they've already made?

xXhayleyroxXx
23-11-10, 00:13
Does it matter? That's how they look like... D:

Not really :p Posting a movie screen in comparison to fanart isnt a fair argument. And where is Pocahontas 0_0

EDIT: I also don't think its right to say Disney princesses arent a good inspiration :p
http://albums.mouseplanet.com/MPPromotional/POCAHONTAS01_kp43377c.jpg
Pocahontas cares for animals, her country,her beliefs, her people and her love. I've always been inspired by that and it made me who I am ^_^

lunavixen
23-11-10, 04:46
i'm 20 and i still love Disney movies, i didn't like the newer ones like Bolt, i prefer the classics, they have that sweet innocence about them that you just don't see in movies anymore

MattTR
23-11-10, 04:54
Well, at least they'll still be making something, that's a plus right? :ton:

It's a shame really, because fairy tales still seem to be so very popular.. :(

tonyme
23-11-10, 08:26
*sigh* Ah, the Disney Renaissance days. Those were good. Oh, so good!

Avalon SARL
23-11-10, 10:02
dosnt everyone know they can just watch the movies they've already made?

:tmb:

EDIt
OOH yuo Guys, msut see this :D :vlol:

Talking about modernizing their fairy tales :vlol:

http://www.dumage.com/modern-disneys-man-vs-old-time-disneys-man/

If this seems a bit mature or disturbing, please remove link

Dream_Raider
23-11-10, 16:06
I still love the old disney movies, and I don't HATE the new ones either. :) I think it's really bad that they're stopping, but I did not like the 'like' in the tangled trailer... I still feel like watching it though :pi: :o for old times' sake :p

Legend 4ever
23-11-10, 21:08
We discussed Disney movies in my Visual Communications class today and the professor kept repeating how in the new Disney movies the characters' faces are blank and emotionless, how the eyes show no character and how CGI, among other things, brought the demise of the warm cartoon characters we genuinely cared about. In the beginning I disagreed with what he was saying, because I loved the movie he was ranting about(Toy Story), but I must say that he had a point about modern cartoons to some extent.

FloTheMachine
23-11-10, 22:34

Thank goodness.

I agree.

Lara's home
23-11-10, 22:47
Pocahontas cares for animals, her country,her beliefs, her people and her love. I've always been inspired by that and it made me who I am ^_^

.....And all the other Disney girls.. They are all the same.

Dark Lugia 2
23-11-10, 22:54

I guess Pocahontas is more nature-focused than the rest though :p

This is a shame, but I dont really care myself because most of the disney princess films are years old and have stayed that way - as classics. apart from the princess and the frog theres not been any great classic animated disney princess movies for a long time.

The new film about rapunzel (spelling?) is so cringey - disney taking on a shrek-esque comedy style :p Though the visuals do look stunning

Chocola teapot
23-11-10, 22:58
Ariel's a selfish little ***** who throws her kingdom's plans out of the window and causes utter chaos (after bartering with a magical Seahag) JUST TO BE HUMAN.

Belle gets Gaston killed and reverts a randomer (Gold digger, wants his castle) back into a man...
Even though he was a tight ass scrooge.

Princess Tiana kisses a frog.. and is subsequently turned into one. (Own fault)

Aurora and Cinderella are cliché, ditzy, useless little blondes and Rapunzel is now Bayonetta the 2nd.

Pochahontas and Mulan are the only useful ones.

I AGREE WITH HAYLEY.

:p

Ward Dragon
23-11-10, 23:02
Ariel's a selfish little ***** who throws her kingdom's plans out of the window and causes utter chaos (after bartering with a magical Seahag) JUST TO BE HUMAN.

Belle gets Gaston killed and reverts a randomer (Gold digger, wants his castle) back into a man...
Even though he was a tight ass scrooge.

Ariel is lonely and wants to be loved, and Gaston deserved to die (he seemed like a likely rapist -- what do you think he would have done with Belle if he had succeeded in killing Beast and kidnapping her? XD) whereas the Beast learned not to be so greedy and he and Belle really loved each other.

Chocola teapot
23-11-10, 23:04
Ariel is lonely and wants to be loved, and Gaston deserved to die (he seemed like a likely rapist -- what do you think he would have done with Belle if he had succeeded in killing Beast and kidnapping her? XD) whereas the Beast learned not to be so greedy and he and Belle really loved each other.

Lies.

(Exept for Gaston. :vlol:)

That's what they wanted you think.

They're all very selfish.

Shark_Blade
23-11-10, 23:13
^Have you been smoking pot, Jack? :confused:

Ariel: Stand for her own right to live differently from what she was, and eventually fell in love with a man from another world. Her father is not always right, not all human is evil and dangerous. It teaches us to believe in one self, even when being heavily objected by your own family.

Belle: How on earth is she a gold digger? It's not like she went to the castle and knock on their door and start pole dancing in front of the beast. She came to save her father and fell in love out of her own free will. And yeah, Gaston could be considered as a rapist lol.

Aurora and Cinderella are similar like their original story, and after being so used with the concept by the society nowadays it might seem cliche. It might not be when it first came out.

Chocola teapot
23-11-10, 23:20
^Have you been smoking pot, Jack? :confused:

FFS, It's Called a joke.

michaeldt
23-11-10, 23:21
I hate Disney :wve:

Shark_Blade
23-11-10, 23:25
FFS, It's Called a joke.
Lol :p

Chocola teapot
23-11-10, 23:25
Lol :p

:hug:

;D

Nerd For Life
23-11-10, 23:40
I hate Disney :wve:

How cool, edgy and original.

Tony9595
24-11-10, 00:02
FFS, It's Called a joke.

No, it wasn't a joke. :gki:

bionicarcher
24-11-10, 00:07
The classic films were great and can't be replaced imo. I think they're great for children growing up. I loved them when I was little.

JACOBryanBURNS
24-11-10, 00:42
WHAT?! :mad: I knew the elaboration of Pixar was going to be bad for Disney. I'm 22 and I still love the Princess stories. They hold something dear to me. Even the newer ones. They're the Disney I was brought up on and they all let me live a little bit of that. I guess it's back to my enormous VHS collection of ye olden Disney animation movies.

Btw, what 6 year old is worried about looking hot?

Noodleboy
24-11-10, 10:00
Damnit, I hate this.
I'm a 19 year old boy, and I still think the classic Disney movies are the best thing since ever.
How can they just pull the plug? With Disney's form of fantasy, they can make even the most boring fairytale a huge success.
I for one hate that they replace character like Belle, Ariel, Snowwhite and Cinderella with Hannah Montanna and the Jonas Brothers. Those guys are Disney, but they're not Disney, you know?

Minty Mouth
24-11-10, 16:12
Well, Disney's 'classic films' weren't 'classic films' when they were made. Who knows, maybe the next wave of Disney movies will be looked upon in the same way as we do the older ones.

It's perfectly normal that society's ideals and the things we associate with childhood will change over time. It's been happening all throughout history. If you told a person 300 years ago that all little girls should want to be princesses in fluffy pink dresses falling in love with their prince charming they would have told you it was ridiculous. Values change. Children weren't always the innocent little porcelain dolls to be looked after and doted on.

So what if, now, we're moving away from that image again. I very much doubt this is going to 'ruin' Disney, or Walt is rolling in his grave. He probably didn't decide to animate these 'fairy tales' because he was passionate about the values they instill in children, rather, he was passionate about money. Everyone has seen that video of the clips from all the Disney movies where it shows how they don't even re-animate the characters in different films, and just take the exact sequences and plaster different faces over the bodies.

The old films were loved by many, and they made loads of people's childhoods 'complete', so to speak. But still, there's no reason to say that your way is the only way.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-11-10, 16:28
Not really :p Cinderella is the only one who noticely cares for animals -- but she has different goals to Pocahontas. They're all similar but different.

I guess Pocahontas is more nature-focused than the rest though :p

Exactly :tmb:

I AGREE WITH HAYLEY.

Oh why thanks hun <3 :hug: xxxxxx

StarCroft:AOD
26-11-10, 16:47
Perfect excuse to make a huge blu-ray, classics collection, it'd be great for kids:cln:

xXhayleyroxXx
26-11-10, 22:02
Perfect excuse to make a huge blu-ray, classics collection, it'd be great for kids:cln:

Oh yes :tmb: :p

Shark_Blade
27-11-10, 00:52
I htink this thread should be closed. It's just a stupid rumor. :wve:

'Tangled' To Be Disney's Last Fairy Tale Flick And We're Not Happy About It

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2010/11/22/tangled-disneys-last-fairy-tale/

Editor's Note: After posting this story, we received a statement from Disney debunking the LA Times piece used as our source:

"A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come." - Ed Catmull

Hollywood Crush regrets the error. Rejoice! :yah:

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 00:53
omg! :jmp:

yayyy!

Catapharact
27-11-10, 00:55
I htink this thread should be closed. It's just a stupid rumor. :wve:

Rejoice! :yah:

Old news. See page 13.

Shark_Blade
27-11-10, 01:24
omg! :jmp:

yayyy!Dance with me, girl! :yah::yah:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance018.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 10:15
Dance with me, girl! :yah::yah:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance018.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

woooo :jmp: :yah: :yah:

hehe :p:hug: xxxxxxxxxxx