In what language do they think?

larafan25
21-11-10, 20:18
Holly ****!

Good Question.:/

Miharu
21-11-10, 20:19

That's actually a good question and one I've never thought of.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-11-10, 20:19
Depends whether they were born deaf. Because in that case, they'd just see pictures and not hear. If they lost their hearing during life they'd think in the language they talked in.

Lara's home
21-11-10, 20:20
What if they are blind too?

How can pictures be used as thinking?
If you are very mad, you make an angry smiley?

larafan25
21-11-10, 20:20

This is fantastic!

How would you think.:/

Catapharact
21-11-10, 20:21

Sign Language. Universally speaking offcourse.

larafan25
Sign Language. Universally speaking offcourse.

What if they cannot picture the signs.

peeves

What if they were blind, deaf, numb around the skin, tongue and nose?

DragonSlayer
21-11-10, 20:23
What if they were blind, deaf, numb around the skin, tongue and nose?

Statistically the chances of that many things happen to the same person are a million to one if not higher.

peeves
21-11-10, 20:24
Statistically the chances of that many things happen to the same person are a million to one if not higher.

It still could happen even if it's very rare.

larafan25
21-11-10, 20:24

Well there are about 6 billion or so people on this earth, so...:)

Catapharact
21-11-10, 20:28

I don't understand your question. Do you mean they are blind as well as deaf? Then they are taught to use systems such as TeleBraille to help them out.

larafan25
21-11-10, 20:34
I don't understand your question. Do you mean they are blind as well as deaf? Then they are taught to use systems such as TeleBraille to help them out.

But how can you imagine in your mind telebraille. Wait...what is Telebraille?:/

DragonSlayer
21-11-10, 20:37
http://theinfosphere.org/File:The_Scary_Door_Ep1.jpg
:vlol:

Joking aside they should be able to picture what the signs were like because they would have been them before they went blind even if they didn't take any notice of them, now if they were born blind then that would be a different story.

I think it's more commonly known as braille if you said telebraille people would look at you as if you were from another planet, i haven't had much experience with braille just that guy in the scray door in futurama whose picture i've posted above.

Catapharact
21-11-10, 20:38

Google is your friend.

http://www.deafblinduk.org.uk/telebraille.html

Miharu
21-11-10, 20:41
Google is your friend.

Wow. Very clever. :tmb:

Avalon SARL
21-11-10, 21:20
Yes the sign language

Now saying that someone has got alllife troubles mixed in one person, which is rare to happen...
But supoose it does, people like that often have shocking abilities.
Like the blind, they say they have a higher sixth sense of feeling things around them.

Someone being deaf,blind, cannot smell etc...
dont think the world has ever had a record of such a living being :)

But, he will have some superior sense that will guide through life

Tombraiderx08
21-11-10, 21:28
Basic human thoughts have no language, it's just comprehension.

moodydog
21-11-10, 22:00

http://www.altertype.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/johnny_got_his_gun2.jpg

robm_2007
21-11-10, 22:43

Well there are about 6 billion or so people on this earth, so...:)

......then that means that there are 6 MILLION people in the world who are completley senseless? oh wait, my math was wrong. it's 6,000. that's still a lot.

Google is your friend.
a better friend is a real person to tell you :pi:

larafan25
21-11-10, 23:37
Google is your friend.

How does that help them think?

MangelinaJolie
21-11-10, 23:45
Gv1uLfF35Uw

Watch and learn.

scremanie
22-11-10, 00:05
Bloody Helen Keller! http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/user_33293_7EC2RMZ7.gif

Basic human thoughts have no language, it's just comprehension.

How could anybody possibly know this?

No one knows how or what you're thinking, but yourself. No study or test in science or psychology can change this, unless someone actually went inside your brain and was listening to how you were thinking. I think in my own voice, with my own accent. Because I know what I sound like. Deaf people don't on the other hand, so what do they sound like in their minds? Is it just random slur only they, themselves, can understand?

They can't think in Braille, can they?

CiaKonwerski
22-11-10, 00:07
I was learning about dreams in Psychology. Apparently when deaf people dream, they still dream with no sound. I am unsure if that happens if you go deaf later on in life though.

scremanie
22-11-10, 00:09
You were studying psychology my dear.

MangelinaJolie
22-11-10, 00:29

No one knows how or what you're thinking, but yourself. No study or test in science or psychology can change this, unless someone actually went inside your brain and was listening to how you were thinking. I think in my own voice, with my own accent. Because I know what I sound like. Deaf people don't on the other hand, so what do they sound like in their minds? Is it just random slur only they, themselves, can understand?

I think you may have missed the point, but you are correct to an extent. Helen Keller, for example, obviously has a way of thinking, and we don't know it. But at the base, for someone unlike her without support and education, what occurs in the brain? Instinctive responses and wordless thoughts. Needs and impulses. They can feel emotions and distinguish between them, they can know what they are, but they may not have a way of naming them, etc.

I'd hate to make this comparison but considering it's what we are, like animals.

scremanie
22-11-10, 00:38
I didn't miss the point at all. I'm just trying to understand how anyone could possibly know how another person is thinking, and automatically make an assumption and say that it's the truth. The main question was, how do deaf people think when they have never heard themselves speak, or others, so what is their language? It can't be Braille...

Tombraiderx08
22-11-10, 00:55

What I mean is, if you cant speak, and you have no writing system, then the 'language' you think in, is just by recognition and remembering things, and putting those together in whichever scrambled order makes sense to you.

Alpharaider47
22-11-10, 01:05
I didn't miss the point at all. I'm just trying to understand how anyone could possibly know how another person is thinking, and automatically make an assumption and say that it's the truth. The main question was, how do deaf people think when they have never heard themselves speak, or others, so what is their language? It can't be Braille...

Maybe they don't really have a "language" like we're all thinking? I think Jame's explanation works pretty well. Consider how humans thought prior to spoken/written language, and I'm sure we'll be on the track to finding our answer. How they thought then is beyond me though :p

scremanie
22-11-10, 01:37
Like babies perhaps?

OMG! deaf people are babies?! :eek:

:p

Mikky
22-11-10, 11:39
Going deaf is one of my worst fears.

And maybe they think in images instead of words, if that makes sense. :p

Paddy
22-11-10, 11:41
Id rather go blind then deaf, I couldnt survive without music :p

Mikky
22-11-10, 11:45
Id rather go blind then deaf, I couldnt survive without music :p

But the how would you play Tomb Raider? :eek: Or just video games in general? :p

Dina_Croft
22-11-10, 14:22
http://memegenerator.net/Philosoraptor/ImageMacro/1572790/Philosoraptor-if-a-person-is-born-deaf-what-language-do-they-think-in.jpg

Had the same question.