PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in New Zealand

Johnnay
24-11-10, 03:56
I guess a lot of people heard that there were 29 trapped NZ Miners at a mining town.. Unlike the Chilean miners it is nearly impossible to get them out due to Carbon Monoxide and Methane underground which happened during a explosion. now a recent 2nd explosion killed the chance of the miners being alive and it has been confirmed that they're all dead.. It really shook me that no one wanted to do a rescue operation soon as in a case of their lives dead...,

Rest in Peace 27 New Zealand men and 2 Australian Men

Discuss

Paddy
24-11-10, 04:39
I guess a lot of people heard that there were 29 trapped NZ Miners at a mining town.. Unlike the Chilean miners it is nearly impossible to get them out due to Carbon Monoxide and Methane underground which happened during a explosion. now a recent 2nd explosion killed the chance of the miners being alive and it has been confirmed that they're all dead.. It really shook me that no one wanted to do a rescue operation soon as in a case of their lives dead...,

Rest in Peace 27 New Zealand men and 2 Australian Men

Discuss

What were they supposed to do, its not like they had an easy task ahead of them, those rescue workers wouldve been killed also had they gone down there.

Librarian
24-11-10, 04:44
Such a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to their families.

And they did state they wanted to send in a rescue team, but there was so much carbon dioxide and methane gas down there that that would have accomplished nothing except to add to the death toll. They were also afraid of causing a second explosion. It's unconfirmed at the moment as to whether their efforts contributed to the explosion this afternoon.

Here's an article. (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/new-blast-all-miners-feared-dead-20101124-1862p.html)

TheBloodRed
24-11-10, 04:44
At least it wasn't another earthquake!!

Librarian
24-11-10, 04:48
^ No one died in the earthquake. This is much worse. Houses can be rebuilt, after all.

Paddy
24-11-10, 05:08
Some of the victims were saying there was a window of opportunity the rescuers couldve used to start the rescue.
I think it wouldve been too dangerous, noone knew if the explosion was gonna happen again. Such a tragic event :( RIP to the victims.

Kiss-Bite
24-11-10, 05:14
Oh please no..! I was so hoping that they would be rescued. :( That is truly very sad news to hear, my thoughts are with all those people that were close to all those that were lost..

TheBloodRed
24-11-10, 05:18
^ No one died in the earthquake. This is much worse. Houses can be rebuilt, after all.

What I meant was that there might have been a bigger earthquake. It is my personal belief that the other one was a precursor to a much bigger catastrophe.

scoopy_loopy
24-11-10, 05:52
There was pretty much zero hope for them from the get go. No life signs were ever shown as far as I heard - even prior to the second blast.

Regardless, this is terrible. I heard among the dead were guys as young as 17. Not cool. :(

Alpharaider47
24-11-10, 06:08
That's terrible :( My thoughts go out to the families, may the dead rest in peace! :(

Ceamonks890
24-11-10, 06:27
Oh no:(

This report has been on all the news shows over here, but I didn't know that a second explosion has happened.

R.I.P 27 Kiwis and 2 Aussies:(

I wish the families and friends of the dead miners, all the best.

Lara's Nemesis
24-11-10, 11:42
Really sad news, must have been terrible for all the families involved. 2 of the men who died were Scottish btw.

RIP

Rai
24-11-10, 11:44
Oh, that's so tragic. My heart goes out to their families. :(

Spong
24-11-10, 11:48
I can't imagine how horrific a situation it must've been for all concerned - to be helpless on the surface and, if they survived the first explosion, to be stuck underground with nothing but hope.

:(

TheRCroft
24-11-10, 12:05
That's horrible :( After the successful rescue operation with the Chileans, I really thought this would end up well. Too bad it didn't :( My condolences to their families, they must be devastated. RIP. :(

Dennis's Mom
24-11-10, 12:44
My thoughts are prayers are with the families. How horrible.

Johnnay
25-11-10, 02:27
today. NZ Has half masted their flags in honour of the dead.

it feels bad they died, especially since Christmas is around the corner:(

Tommy123
25-11-10, 02:28
How awful!

My hopes go out to the families :(

MattTR
25-11-10, 02:28
Wow that's horrible, second mining tragedy recently, I hope nothing else like this happens, and I hope those miners rest in peace. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 09:44
Omg! I was desperately hoping they would be rescued :( I guess its too much to ask for a miracle :(

Rest in peace x

lunavixen
25-11-10, 11:22
the sheer levels of methane and carbon dioxide almost eliminated any chances of survival, as much as i feel for the families of those who lost their lives, i can understand the decision not to send more people down there, it would have only caused more lives to be lost.

Johnnay - Most Australian flags were at half mast as well, we even had a minutes silence at work because one of my workmates knew one of the miners who died

i truly feel for the families and friends of the miners who lost their lives, my heart goes out to you all

robbie_rawr
25-11-10, 11:24
People will end up stop mining all together it this keeps happening.

scoopy_loopy
25-11-10, 11:32
People will end up stop mining all together it this keeps happening.

I doubt it. In last year alone there were 1, 000 deaths in Chinese mines... I see no way it's going to stop any time soon. It's also the source of Australia's vast wealth, I doubt the Aussie government would give up on it either.

Lara's Nemesis
25-11-10, 11:36
I doubt it. In last year alone there were 1, 000 deaths in Chinese mines... I see no way it's going to stop any time soon. It's also the source of Australia's vast wealth, I doubt the Aussie government would give up on it either.

China has an awful record. :(

There were 29 miners rescued from a flooded mine there a couple of days ago tho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11808378

lunavixen
26-11-10, 07:36
the thing is, mining is such a large provider of resources, most metals, including gold, aluminium, tin, zinc, iron and others all have to be mined. coal needs to be mined, even natural gasses used in heating and the like all have to be mined, it's a destructive, but unfortunately necessary staple of modern life

H4RR7H
26-11-10, 07:47
Any other Kiwis (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/group.php?groupid=82) here?

It is indeed a terrible tragedy. I'm just surprised at how unprepared they were - they're still not in there... :(