PDA

View Full Version : Still one of the most baffling hijacking cases 39 years later...

patriots88888
24-11-10, 12:26
This guy is still on the FBI's wanted list and remains one of the greatest unexplained mysteries all these years later. Most suspect he plunged to his death, while others remain skeptical of that. Did he get away with it?

D.B. Cooper is the name attributed to a man who hijacked a Boeing 727 aircraft in the United States on November 24, 1971, received $200,000[1] in ransom, and parachuted from the plane. The name he used to board the plane was Dan Cooper, but through a later press miscommunication, he became known as D.B. Cooper. Despite hundreds of leads through the years, no conclusive evidence has ever surfaced regarding Cooper's true identity or whereabouts, and the bulk of the money has never been recovered. Several theories offer competing explanations of what happened after his famed jump, but the F.B.I. believes that he did not survive.[2]

The nature of Cooper's escape and the uncertainty of his fate continue to intrigue people. The Cooper case (code-named "Norjak" by the F.B.I.)[3] is the only unsolved U.S. aircraft hijacking,[4] and one of the few such cases anywhere in the world, along with Malaysia Airlines Flight 653.

The Cooper case has baffled government and private investigators for decades, with countless leads turning into dead ends. As late as March 2008, the F.B.I. thought it might have had a breakthrough when children unearthed a parachute within the bounds of Cooper's probable jump site near the town of Amboy, Washington.[5] Experts later determined that it did not belong to the hijacker.

Despite the case's enduring lack of evidence, a few significant clues have arisen. In late 1978 a placard containing instructions on how to lower the aft stairs of a 727, later confirmed to be from the rear stairway of the plane from which Cooper jumped, was found just a few flying minutes north of Cooper's projected drop zone. In February 1980 on the banks of the Columbia River, eight-year-old Brian Ingram found $5,880 in decaying $20 bills, which proved to be part of the original ransom.[6]

In October 2007, the F.B.I. claimed that it had obtained a partial DNA profile of Cooper from the tie he left on the hijacked plane.[7] On December 31, 2007, the F.B.I. revived the case by publishing never-before-seen composite sketches and fact sheets online in an attempt to trigger memories that could possibly identify Cooper. In a press release, the F.B.I. reiterated that it does not believe Cooper survived the jump, but expressed an interest in ascertaining his identity...

Full write up here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

Anyone else heard of this? I find it both fascinating and intriguing. :) There's supposed to be a new and updated TV documentary coming out sometime this month, but I haven't seen any sign of it yet. :(

All I have to say is, if he did get away with it he is one clever dude! :p

Spong
24-11-10, 12:54
I absolutely knew this was gonna be about D.B. Cooper when I saw the thread title. I've seen so many documentaries about it, it's truly fascinating.

sandygrimm
24-11-10, 14:40
I still don't see how he could of survived such a jump with the money and from that height/speed. And if he did, he lost most of the money..
I'm really curious of this new documentary :D It's too good of a story to be left as dead and in the past :cool:

Shark_Blade
24-11-10, 15:07
Either he is very clever, or very lucky; or both.
And the FBI believes he did not survive? Then where is the proof? They did not found any body whatsoever, so it's not a conclusive fact at all.

But come one, 39 years... he might not have lived at all right now.

Anyway, aside from that,

The nature of Cooper's escape and the uncertainty of his fate continue to intrigue people. The Cooper case (code-named "Norjak" by the F.B.I.)[3] is the only unsolved U.S. aircraft hijacking,[4] and one of the few such cases anywhere in the world, along with Malaysia Airlines Flight 653.
Hmmm...

Malaysia Airlines Flight 653 (MH653), a Boeing 737-2H6 aircraft registered as 9M-MBD (delivered September 1972 as 9M-AQO), crashed at Tanjung Kupang, Johor, in Malaysia on the evening of 4 December 1977.[1] It was the deadliest and first fatal accident for Malaysia Airlines, with all 93 passengers and 7 crew killed instantly.[2][3] The flight was apparently hijacked as soon as it reached cruise altitude. The circumstances in which the hijacking and subsequent crash occurred remain unsolved.Interesting..:pi: Johor? That is south from here. I never knew we have a mysterious plane case like this (well, I wasn't even borned at that time, so lol).

The Great Chi
24-11-10, 16:57
Jumping with parachute and a pick up on the ground by an accomplace was likely the plan.