PDA

View Full Version : a turkey question

tombfan91
24-11-10, 23:00
sorry couldn't find another thread with this.

this year my family wanted to brine the turkey. so we did the brine. It's kinda salty. is it suppose to be that salty?

Phlip
24-11-10, 23:03
Brine IS salt water, so it should be salty.

Catapharact
24-11-10, 23:03
How salty does it tastes? Actually... Before that, let me ask you if you bought a Kosher Turkey? If you bought a Kosher Turkey, its usually already treated with Salt water.

Spong
24-11-10, 23:04
It's kinda salty. is it suppose to be that salty?

That's what she said :pi:

As for your actual question, I have no idea. I can't cook a salad or ice cream, let alone a turkey.

tombfan91
24-11-10, 23:09
How salty does it tastes? Actually... Before that, let me ask you if you bought a Kosher Turkey? If you bought a Kosher Turkey, its usually already treated with Salt water.

i just bought a regular turkey (20 pounds). i used kosher salt on the water though. it's just really salty. my mom got this recipe from foodnetwork

1 pound of kosher salt. 3 quarts hot water
1 cup mollasses
2 cups of honey
1 cup of soy sauce
red pepper flakes
dried sage
garlic
water
ice 5 pounds
place turkey in tub
rest for 12 hours
pat dry when taken out

Catapharact
24-11-10, 23:16
Hmmm... That recipe sounds perfectly fine for a wet brine process. Its actually under-brined since you just left it for 12 hours. Maybe its because you guys have never eaten brined turkey before and it just tastes way too salty.

tombfan91
24-11-10, 23:30
Hmmm... That recipe sounds perfectly fine for a wet brine process. Its actually under-brined since you just left it for 12 hours. Maybe its because you guys have never eaten brined turkey before and it just tastes way too salty.

maybe. this si our first time having brined turkey. we were going to brine it for that long amount of hours but we tasted it ti and thought it was too salty. so it might have been the fact that this is our first time having brined turkey.

patriots88888
24-11-10, 23:46
maybe. this si our first time having brined turkey. we were going to brine it for that long amount of hours but we tasted it ti and thought it was too salty. so it might have been the fact that this is our first time having brined turkey.

You tasted the water or have you already cooked the bird? Don't forget that once cooked, the excess salt will disperse and thus reduce that salty taste somewhat.

tombfan91
25-11-10, 01:35
You tasted the water or have you already cooked the bird? Don't forget that once cooked, the excess salt will disperse and thus reduce that salty taste somewhat.

just the water. we r cooking the bird tommorow. oh ok then i guess this brine is ok then ^_^. thanx for the help you guys.