PDA

View Full Version : British Government to spend 2 million on survey

Lara's Nemesis
25-11-10, 15:52
.. to find out how happy everyone is. :confused:

Nice to know they care. :p

I know that 2 million is maybe not a huge amount but this is still a total waste of time and money imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11833241

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 16:00
wtf... there actually isn't a stupider way to use money.

I honestly think David Cameron is going to be worse than Thatcher.

Lara's Nemesis
25-11-10, 16:01

I honestly think David Cameron is going to be worse than Thatcher.

Aaaaaaarghh, please no. :D

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 16:05
I honestly do think so, despite Thatcher completely messing up the North East, and Britain in general :/

Mad Tony
25-11-10, 16:24
I honestly think David Cameron is going to be worse than Thatcher.What, based on this? :confused:

This isn't really news to me. I bet the government spends far more on sillier things and at the end of the day, it's 2million, not 200million.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 16:26
What, based on this? :confused:

This isn't really news to me. I bet the government spends far more on sillier things and at the end of the day, it's 2million, not 200million.

No, from what he's said, his views, his plans...etc. He's a pompous git imo.

Chocola teapot
25-11-10, 16:26
How Ob...

..tuse Angle.

Waste of money FTW.

lara c. fan
25-11-10, 16:29
What, based on this? :confused:

I suppose that's true, but wouldn't this fit under the category of a quango, something they were trying to get rid of? :p

Mad Tony
25-11-10, 16:32
I suppose that's true, but wouldn't this fit under the category of a quango, something they were trying to get rid of? :pA survey is not a quango AFAIK

No, from what he's said, his views, his plans...etc. He's a pompous git imo.Based on what?

Personally, I don't think he'll be as good as Thatcher. He's barely a Tory as it is.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 16:36
Personally, I don't think he'll be as good as Thatcher. He's barely a Tory as it is.

As good as Thatcher? AS GOOD! She completely ruined our land-based industry up here and we never recovered from it. The mines my family worked in were closed, as were many others and poverty set it. Thatcher was not a good person.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course but the North East (apart from a select few Tory freaks) share no love for Thatcher or anyone like her.

TombOfRaiders
25-11-10, 16:37
I'll be looking forward to this survey. Considering the state of this country and my unhappiness with it.

Lara's Nemesis
25-11-10, 16:37
As good as Thatcher? AS GOOD! She completely ruined our land-based industry up here and we never recovered from it. The mines my family worked in were closed, as were many others and poverty set it. Thatcher was not a good person.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course but the North East (apart from a select few Tory freaks) share no love for Thatcher or anyone like her.

She also introduced the Poll Tax, what a terrible idea that was.

snork
25-11-10, 16:39
I can easily think of several dozen stupider ways, see below.
and I actually agree that the GDP as measure is measuring just itself, but nothing else.

---------------------

How about a 3 million € printmedia advertisement campaign :"Four promises, but first a thank you" (German government)

First promise : We secure the finances. We economise, to remain capable of acting and invest.

:vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 16:44

Yep indeed, she and her ideas are a disgrace.

jaywalker
25-11-10, 16:48

Hmm am pretty sure it was actually worked out that if we HAD kept the poll tax we'd be paying LESS now then we do under the current council tax system. Yes it seemed totally unfair at the time, but over time (just like fuel prices) its become accepted to pay more and more (i remember the fuel riots when it hit 1.. we've not been below 1 now for well over a year but no riots?! go figure)

People love to slam Maggie and her `crackpot` ideas but a lot of people forget the things she did that this country needed, like squashing the totally out of control unions (having a resurgence again so maybe DC needs a fresh stomping sesh)

Most people on here have NO clue about how things were under Maggie as they are too young or not even from the country so take other peoples word for it.. ;)
Yep indeed, she and her ideas are a disgrace.

Hmm kinda proves my point a bit :) You're 18, so werent even born until after she was no longer PM :)

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:03
Hmm kinda proves my point a bit :) You're 18, so werent even born until after she was no longer PM :)

I might be young but I suffered the aftereffects of her choices. My grandparents/parents suffered directly, whereas I did indirectly. My great grandpa used to run one of the mines here for years, until it got handed to a string of new managers and then finally closed by Thatcher. I really care about where I live, and its still suffering from Thatcher's choices.

TRfan23
25-11-10, 17:04
^ Think Long-term not Short-term.

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:07
I might be young but I suffered the aftereffects of her choices. My grandparents/parents suffered directly, whereas I did indirectly.

i am still seriously being affected by Mr Blairs foul ups ;) we all are..

I am a yorkshireman meself so i know a lot about the miners and the struggles they had, yes it was seriously fraught time but again its been shown that a lot of the pits were practically running on empty already so it was the unions demanding lifetime jobs etc when the work would dry up a few years later anyway.. didnt make sense. i totally felt for the miners but they were screwed over by the unions and the government.. the government was looking at the bigger picture which is naturally not the concern of the individual but the union leaders were just looking to line their pockets (look at scargell etc!)

Maggie did a lot more good for this country then Blair and co did bad in the last decade :)

The country is like a pub.. It has customers (us) and it has landlords (government). The landlords will come and go, but the pub still serve us the same watered down beer and dodgy looking bar snacks ;) only the name above the door changes.. The only real difference is how much the barmaid smiles at you lessening the blow of the hangover and food poisoning we get :)

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:08
i am still seriously being affected by Mr Blairs foul ups ;) we all are..

Maggie did a lot more good for this country then Blair and co did bad in the last decade :)

The country is like a pub.. It has customers (us) and it has landlords (government). The landlords will come and go, but the pub still serve us the same watered down beer and dodgy looking bar snacks ;) only the name above the door changes.. The only real difference is how much the bar maid smiles at you lessening the blow of the hangover and food poisoning we get :)

Well, that's one way of looking at it :p I quite like that sentiment :vlol:
I just... don't think David Cameron will be good :/

lara c. fan
25-11-10, 17:10

Give the guy a chance... Would you prefer Brown still in power?

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:10

Yeah, I liked Gordon Brown.

TombOfRaiders
25-11-10, 17:11

6VaP1HB7Vew

Yeah, you won't now.

lara c. fan
25-11-10, 17:12

He's the one who made pretty much everything David Cameron is doing necessary.

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:13

I prefer DC's smile then Browns. he `SCARED` me when he smiled

ji4WD2b-anM

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:14
6VaP1HB7Vew

Yeah, you won't now.

Lmao! That was hilarious :p At least Gordon was a laugh! :vlol:

He's the one who made pretty much everything David Cameron is doing necessary.

Hmmm? Elaborate please.

@jaywalker - lmao, aww poor Gordon :p So he didnt have the nicest smile, but I still liked him :vlol:

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:17
Keeping on topic ;) the idea of the survey is a good one if you ask me, simply basing things on gdp is a very inpersonal way of reviewing the state of the country. Whether the concept is achieveable or not is up for debate, but you dont get anywhere if you dont try do you?

Hayley - Its widely regarded that Labours policies since 97 have let the country ring up the huge amounts of debts it has and the Tories have been landed with the unenviable task of trying to correct them. The financial sector collapse etc all been laid flat at DC's feet to sort out.. What will happen tho is that the tories will do things, get things heading in right direction but not in time before people kick em out, the next government will come in and do `nothing` and things will be fine, and take credit.. thats life ;) tis how politics have been for centuries :)

lara c. fan
25-11-10, 17:18
Hmmm? Elaborate please.

Why would I need to elaborate? The Labour party ended up spending way too much, and driving the country into debt. All these cuts are the Conservative's efforts to get this country OUT of debt.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:19
Why would I need to elaborate? The Labour party ended up spending way too much, and driving the country into debt. All these cuts are the Conservative's efforts to get this country OUT of debt.

soooo... why are they spending money on a survey 0_0

lara c. fan
25-11-10, 17:22

Haven't the foggiest. But you can bet a lot more than 2 million would be spent on useless things if Labour was still in power.

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:25

Haven't the foggiest. But you can bet a lot more than 2 million would be spent on useless things if Labour was still in power.

Oh am sure Tories will spend money on things people will think are trivial or nonsensical (spelling?) however sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette :)

as someone said its all about the bigger picture.. I truly believe DC has got a good `map` in front of him about what he needs to do, and he KNOWS and has clearly said that not everyone is gonna like what needs to be done to get things right.. that makes a first for a PM if you ask me :)

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:25

*shrugs* I've always supported Lib Dem :p They need a shot at things. And not joined with Tories.

@jaywalker -- I guess its too early to judge David Cameron, so we'll have to see. He seems spirited, I'll give him that.

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:27
*shrugs* I've always supported Lib Dem :p They need a shot at things. And not joined with Tories.

Lib Dems on their own i dont think could run the country, i see them as a delicious side to a main.

hmm what is it with me an analogies today :)

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:28
Lib Dems on their own i dont think could run the country, i see them as a delicious side to a main.

hmm what is it with me an analogies today :)

I guess we won't know unless one of them becomes Prime Minister :p

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:30
I guess we won't know unless one of them becomes Prime Minister :p

Until this current government, as much as people `liked` them they never registered enough on peoples radar as actually being a governing party.. Their actions now have shown they can rise to bigger occasions, but have they done too much damage by being seen by the left as signing a deal with the devil by siding with DC and co to get their profile lifted?

I wanna be part of this survey for sure, just hope its multiple answer questions as i dont wanna have to write an essay :)

lara c. fan
25-11-10, 17:30
I find the Liberal Democrats quite the liars, even among the world of politics. Even the policy that was most likely to have young people voting for them was then revealed to be a complete lie.

Archetype
25-11-10, 17:31
As kevin bridges said on Have I got news for you, if he wants to find out how happy we all are, then he should travel up and down the country without any secruity gaurds.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:32
Until this current government, as much as people `liked` them they never registered enough on peoples radar as actually being a governing party.. Their actions now have shown they can rise to bigger occasions, but have they done too much damage by being seen by the left as signing a deal with the devil by siding with DC and co to get their profile lifted?

I wanna be part of this survey for sure, just hope its multiple answer questions as i dont wanna have to write an essay :)

True...

I want to be part of it too, even though I resent the fact they're spending so much on it.

@Archetype -- What an excellent idea! :vlol:

jaywalker
25-11-10, 17:33
I find the Liberal Democrats quite the liars, even among the world of politics. Even the policy that was most likely to have young people voting for them was then revealed to be a complete lie.

This is what i was referring to, they've had to bite their tongue on so many of their core beliefs to get into the position they are in. .BUT i do actually believe that they've done a great thing by being the other party in government.. They give the government a more balanced overview, ie they will actually say NO to DC etc, and make them rethink ideas.. which they HAVE!.

True...
I want to be part of it too, even though I resent the fact they're spending so much on it.

How much does it cost to do a national survey? am guessing tis not cheap and as i said if it does give a good overview of peoples REAL feelings (not just a flashpoint of a riot here and there or a headline etc) but a REAL picture of where people are happy etc then am sure its better then blind assumptions everythings fine or not aint it?

xcrushterx
25-11-10, 17:35
I'd say the whole Northern half of the UK has no love for her.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-11-10, 17:39

True ;)

@jaywalker - I suppose you're right :p

Mad Tony
25-11-10, 17:43
As good as Thatcher? AS GOOD! She completely ruined our land-based industry up here and we never recovered from it. The mines my family worked in were closed, as were many others and poverty set it. Thatcher was not a good person.Yeah, I don't think he'll be as good.

Unfortunately Hayley economies change and we needed to shift into a more service-based economy.

Don't really know why you hate David Cameron so much at the moment because a) he's hardly had a chance to do anything yet and b) most of the current government's work involves clearing up your beloved Gordon Brown's mess.

Alpharaider47
25-11-10, 17:43
Hey at least they aren't hiding it in the costs of a toilet seat or coffee maker :p Honestly though, that doesn't sound like an entire waste of money. Something like that might help here in the States. Well... I guess the government would have further evidence that we're ****ed off but still :p

trXD
25-11-10, 23:32
That is really dumb, your not going to make people happy by asking them.

Ward Dragon
25-11-10, 23:36
That is really dumb, your not going to make people happy by asking them.

Yeah, but maybe if the survey is done right they can get a good idea of what people want and what they need to do to make people happy.

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 01:31
That is really dumb, your not going to make people happy by asking them.The purpose of the survey isn't to make people happy, it's to see if they are happy.

Ikas90
26-11-10, 02:08
I took a test online to see if I was happy a few days ago; An Australian version.

And it was free.

Spong
26-11-10, 02:11
^^UK Government take note.

2m? What a waste of money.

scoopy_loopy
26-11-10, 04:14
I don't understand ... why on Earth is it going to cost so much?

Alpharaider47
26-11-10, 05:37
Yeah, but maybe if the survey is done right they can get a good idea of what people want and what they need to do to make people happy.

My thoughts exactly :p

jaywalker
26-11-10, 07:56

I am from the northern half of the UK so please dont assume my feelings thanks :)

Ward Dragon
26-11-10, 12:50
I don't understand ... why on Earth is it going to cost so much?

Considering all the work that needs to be done distributing and collecting the surveys, 2 million pounds is actually pretty cheap if they really are taking everyone's views into account. For comparison, the 2011 census for the UK is projected to cost 500 million pounds (go down to the Costs section here (http://www.oxan.com/worldnextweek/2008-08-28/CountingTheCosts.aspx)).

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 12:54
Of course it's cheap Ward, but people like to moan about small potatoes for some reason. I've always been an advocate of spending cuts, but I've never been one to get up in arms over little sums like this provided the money isn't being spent on something absolutely ridiculous.

The current government are doing a good job on cutting spending but there are some big areas where they've got it wrong, mainly foreign aid and the NHS.

Archetype
26-11-10, 13:17
I've always been an advocate of spending cuts, but I've never been one to get up in arms over little sums like this provided the money isn't being spent on something absolutely ridiculous.

A survey, asking whether people in the UK are happy or not is ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain could make an educated guess at how happy people are. Doesn't stop David does it though...

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 13:25
A survey, asking whether people in the UK are happy or not is ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain could make an educated guess at how happy people are. Doesn't stop David does it though...Some people are happy some are not. You don't know until you ask.

Ward Dragon
26-11-10, 13:26
A survey, asking whether people in the UK are happy or not is ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain could make an educated guess at how happy people are. Doesn't stop David does it though...

I got the impression it was much more detailed than that, asking which topics people were happy about and which things they were unhappy about so that the government knows where it needs to focus on improving.

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 13:28
People moan that politicians are out of touch and then when they try and do something they still moan.

Churchill was right when he said the best argument against democracy was five minutes with the average voter. :vlol:

The Great Chi
26-11-10, 13:35
British people are always happy ;)

Except for the unhappy ones :p

Lara's Nemesis
26-11-10, 13:39
People rarely seem to criticise the political party they support. I wonder if some of the conservatives views would be different if this was labour spending this money.

I personally don't think we need a survey to find out what people want, I would have thought the answers would be fairly obvious.

Archetype
26-11-10, 13:40
Some people are happy some are not. You don't know until you ask.

No need for a survey, you've just hit the nail on the head ;)

Some people are happy some are not.

I got the impression it was much more detailed than that, asking which topics people were happy about and which things they were unhappy about so that the government knows where it needs to focus on improving.

I think the government is already well aware what makes people unhappy..

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 14:06
People rarely seem to criticise the political party they support. I wonder if some of the conservatives views would be different if this was labour spending this money.I know you're referring to me there but if you'll look back at one of my earlier posts you would see that I've never been one to get up in arms over relatively small sums of money being spent on something by the government provided it isn't something outrageous.

No need for a survey, you've just hit the nail on the head ;) There's more to it than that.

I think the government is already well aware what makes people unhappy..Clearly not.

scoopy_loopy
26-11-10, 14:26
Considering all the work that needs to be done distributing and collecting the surveys, 2 million pounds is actually pretty cheap if they really are taking everyone's views into account. For comparison, the 2011 census for the UK is projected to cost 500 million pounds (go down to the Costs section here (http://www.oxan.com/worldnextweek/2008-08-28/CountingTheCosts.aspx)).

Wow! My country has census' too... I had no idea they were that dear though. It makes sense, but regardless.

Lara's Nemesis
26-11-10, 14:30
I know you're referring to me there but if you'll look back at one of my earlier posts you would see that I've never been one to get up in arms over relatively small sums of money being spent on something by the government provided it isn't something outrageous.

I wasn't referring to you personally, I was talking generally about people who are staunch followers of any of the political parties. I suppose you maybe fall into that category tho. :p

TR FAN 18
26-11-10, 15:41
2 MILLION?! Talk about waste of money! :mad:

moodydog
26-11-10, 16:04
They're all pretty much faceless and evil...
Though what a waste of 2 million.

David/ Thatcher same person, different age. History just repeating itself!

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 16:15
David/ Thatcher same person, different age. History just repeating itself!I wish.

Spong
26-11-10, 16:36
David/ Thatcher same person, different age. History just repeating itself!

Good God I hope not. Thatcher brought this country to its knees.

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 16:49
Why do people only look at the negative aspects of Thatcher's time anyway? :confused:

Another Lara
26-11-10, 16:53
Why do people only look at the negative aspects of Thatcher's time anyway? :confused:

Because it's the "in" thing to do! ;)

scoopy_loopy
26-11-10, 16:58
My perceived image of Thatcher has always been, "harsh, but got it done", but all I can go by is the very rare pieces of social media I've seen with anything slightly to do with her. I never knew that people bore hatred for her... Hmmm.... this calls for a Wiki sesh. :pi:

moodydog
26-11-10, 17:30

I suppose IMO it depends on your 'social class' (which is a really old fashioned phrase as I doubt social classes are as strong as they were), and the party your are influenced under.
I doubt many rich folk's would look at Thatcher and say 'Yeh, she made my life hell'. But I am informed of many people she did.

Archetype
26-11-10, 17:38
Clearly not.

So, they are out of touch then ;)

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 17:39
I suppose IMO it depends on your 'social class' (which is a really old fashioned phrase as I doubt social classes are as strong as they were), and the party your are influenced under.
I doubt many rich folk's would look at Thatcher and say 'Yeh, she made my life hell'. But I am informed of many people she did.Not all middle class folks look at Thatcher in a negative light either.

So, they are out of touch then ;)And not psychic.

Ward Dragon
26-11-10, 17:50
I view this survey as a form of market research :p If it was so easy to tell what people want, then companies wouldn't spend so much money testing out ideas and seeing how people react. If the government actually wants some specific feedback on various issues and not just what the media says people want, then this survey seems like a reasonable way to do it.

moodydog
26-11-10, 17:54
Not all middle class folks look at Thatcher in a negative light either.

I forgot to mention that... ;)

Lets look at the university Cuts...

Would it affect the upper class... nope, It would be a price reduction from what they are paying for their private education

Would it affect the working class/ poor... probably not, they may not be able to afford it anyway.

Would if effect the middle class... Yes, here's the target that could afford uni before rise in fees and were aspiring to go... but its just gotten a lot harder.

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 17:56
I forgot to mention that... ;)

Lets look at the university Cuts...

Would it affect the upper class... nope, It would be a price reduction from what they are paying for their private education

Would it affect the working class/ poor... probably not, they may not be able to afford it anyway.

Would if effect the middle class... Yes, here's the target that could afford uni before rise in fees and were aspiring to go... but its just gotten a lot harder.It's going to affect everybody, but if you really want to go there's nothing stopping you.

Archetype
26-11-10, 18:08
And not psychic.

As I said in an earlier post, Cameron should take the kevin bridges approach.

Mad Tony
26-11-10, 18:34
As I said in an earlier post, Cameron should take the kevin bridges approach.Which of course is silly.

Really, how else can they find out how to improve the country?

moodydog
26-11-10, 18:40
It's going to affect everybody, but if you really want to go there's nothing stopping you.

Nah I wont.
Ok, maybe it will to an extent. But it targets most at the middle class.

Obviously get a student loan out. But I doubt many people would like the idea of being up to 30000 in dept before they have properly start adult life.
On the other hand, I suppose that the student loan is going to be one of the best loans you can take out. But, I would rather not have to borrow that much if possible.

Oh that was funny in college today....

A girl was saying how she didn't join in on the student Protest over rising fees.
We asked 'Why not?'
She replied 'Because I am not going to university?'
We asked her 'Why not?'
She replied 'Because the fees have gone up' !

xcrushterx
26-11-10, 18:43
I am from the northern half of the UK so please dont assume my feelings thanks :)
Ok, the majority of the Northern half of the Uk.

Nitpicking not appreciated.

moodydog
26-11-10, 18:46

his/ her comment wasn't specific I don't think.

Ward Dragon
26-11-10, 19:29
Oh that was funny in college today....

A girl was saying how she didn't join in on the student Protest over rising fees.
We asked 'Why not?'
She replied 'Because I am not going to university?'
We asked her 'Why not?'
She replied 'Because the fees have gone up' !

Tell me again why it is so important for everyone to go to university? XD

Seriously though I'm drifting towards the point of view that university isn't the best option for everyone. If someone knows what they want to do, they're probably better off getting training and on-the-job experience and then they can always go back for the university degree later if they need it.

On the other hand I feel like my degree is worthless because no one will even consider interviewing me due to the fact that I haven't got any work experience yet. I was too busy getting the degree to get real work experience, so now I'm pretty much screwed because I can't get a job without the experience and I can't even get a higher degree because their applications want experience as well. So I don't think university is the answer to everything, and some people would be much better off getting work experience or some kind of vocational training which will lead into a job.

At the very least, people need to watch out for that and try to get some experience while they are still at university so that they'll have an easier time getting into grad school or getting the job they want once they graduate.

TRfan23
26-11-10, 19:51
^ Hence why some uni courses allow you to do a year in industry or where ever for work experience, in-conjunction to the course.

But I hope you find a way to sort yourself out in the future :)

xXhayleyroxXx
26-11-10, 21:58

I'm sure David meant the majority of the north, and he's correct. Maggie Thatcher pretty much ruined the land-based industry here (imo). He didnt mean it personally :p

moodydog
26-11-10, 22:23
Tell me again why it is so important for everyone to go to university? XD

Seriously though I'm drifting towards the point of view that university isn't the best option for everyone. If someone knows what they want to do, they're probably better off getting training and on-the-job experience and then they can always go back for the university degree later if they need it.

On the other hand I feel like my degree is worthless because no one will even consider interviewing me due to the fact that I haven't got any work experience yet. I was too busy getting the degree to get real work experience, so now I'm pretty much screwed because I can't get a job without the experience and I can't even get a higher degree because their applications want experience as well. So I don't think university is the answer to everything, and some people would be much better off getting work experience or some kind of vocational training which will lead into a job.

At the very least, people need to watch out for that and try to get some experience while they are still at university so that they'll have an easier time getting into grad school or getting the job they want once they graduate.

I wasn't really commenting on the importance of uni, I agree its not for everyone, and in some circumstances, an apprenticeship would be preferred. I was just outlining the irony protesting, and why that student was refusing to do it. I agree that everyone has the own choice what to do in there lives, and I would never EVER judge anyone for those choices. I just found it funny that the girl was refusing to protest about lowering fees because she isn't going to uni because the fees are raised in the first place. Thats pretty much the purpose of the protest. Its a chance to be active about something that you feel strongly about and not just 'take a back seat'. Its not the end of the world that the fees are going up... but really, I would prefer them not to.

And now back on topic... Government spending 2 million... a complete waste. We are trying to cut spending (which btw is something I agree on.)

xXhayleyroxXx
26-11-10, 22:28
And now back on topic... Government spending 2 million... a complete waste. We are trying to cut spending (which btw is something I agree on.)

I agree with this. I like the fact (excuse the pun) they raise VAT and tuition fees, are planning to make school buses and dinners with a fee and loose our bank interest and then spend 2 million on a bloody survey! My family are facing a second debt because of the seemingly minor things that are happening now.

moodydog
26-11-10, 22:31
I agree with this. I like the fact (excuse the pun) they raise VAT and tuition fees, are planning to make school buses and dinners with a fee and loose our bank interest and then spend 2 million on a bloody survey! My family are facing a second debt because of the seemingly minor things that are happening now.

I must admit though... 2 million for them is apparently 'a bit of pocket money' for them to spend out like this. :o

Still shocking

xXhayleyroxXx
26-11-10, 22:41
I must admit though... 2 million for them is apparently 'a bit of pocket money' for them to spend out like this. :o

Still shocking

If it was just 'pocket money' to them -- they shoudn't have stopped bank interest, as i'm sure they doesn't bring them much income.

Ward Dragon
26-11-10, 23:43
I agree that everyone has the own choice what to do in there lives, and I would never EVER judge anyone for those choices. I just found it funny that the girl was refusing to protest about lowering fees because she isn't going to uni because the fees are raised in the first place. Thats pretty much the purpose of the protest.

Sorry, I guess I went off on a tangent there :p In the girl's defense, maybe she didn't expect the protest to do anything so she decided the best course of action would be to get a job and save up some money before going to university. My previous post kind of sounded like I was mocking her so I wanted to make clear that there could be a reasonable explanation for what she meant :)

trXD
26-11-10, 23:56
The purpose of the survey isn't to make people happy, it's to see if they are happy.
Exactly, people are unhappy about their personal life and then the things that the government can change, which they already know about. This will just be pointless information.

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 00:06
Do people not realize that out of a government budget of something like 800 odd billion, 2million is absolutely nothing? As I said, there are much bigger wastes of spending going on which nobody seems to care about.

trXD
27-11-10, 00:10
Do people not realize that out of a government budget of something like 800 odd billion, 2million is absolutely nothing? As I said, there are much bigger wastes of spending going on which nobody seems to care about.

I absolutely recognise that, which is why I haven't gone on about how this is a waste of money, but waste or not, in my opinion this survey isn't going to help anybody.

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 00:11
I absolutely recognise that, which is why I haven't gone on about how this is a waste of money, but waste or not, in my opinion this survey isn't going to help anybody.My comment wasn't aimed specifically at you. :confused:

trXD
27-11-10, 00:12
My comment wasn't aimed specifically at you. :confused:
Huh? Did I say or imply that it was?

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 00:29
Huh? Did I say or imply that it was?Well your response made it look as if you thought I was talking to you specifically.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 00:32
Well your response made it look as if you thought I was talking to you specifically.

*shakes head* No it didn't. I think you're leaping to conclusions :p Calm ya pash.

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 00:33
*shakes head* No it didn't. I think you're leaping to conclusions :p Calm ya pash.It may not have to you but it did to me.

The Great Chi
27-11-10, 00:45
*shakes head* No it didn't. I think you're leaping to conclusions :p Calm ya pash.Pash... I am going to have to look this word up in the Northumberland dictionary, I'm scratchin my head now :p

I'm away for a Newcastle Brown, that will make me happy (re survey) :D

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 00:47
Pash... I am going to have to look this word up in the Northumberland dictionary, I'm scratchin my head now :p

I'm away for a Newcastle Brown, that will make me happy (re survey) :D

lmao! :vlol:

Pash is an abbrieviated form of passion:p
"Calm your passion" :vlol: But we usually just say 'Calm ya pash'

:ton:

moodydog
27-11-10, 10:32

I said that

Still shocking
:)

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 20:16
I said thatI'm struggling to find the part of my post where I referred specifically to you. :confused:

Killercowz
27-11-10, 20:21
http://images.whatport80.com/images/thumb/7/7a/MJpopcorn.gif/180px-MJpopcorn.gif

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 20:21
I'm struggling to find the part of my post where I referred specifically to you. :confused:

what is with you!? :vlol:

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 20:24
what is with you!? :vlol:Nothing. :confused:

Moodydog showed me his post about how he thought 2million was small change and I just pointed out that I was never specifically referring to him.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 20:28
Nothing. :confused:

Moodydog showed me his post about how he thought 2million was small change and I just pointed out that I was never specifically referring to him.

No hun, y'see -- you said "does no-one else see that?" or something along those lines, and moodydog said that yes, he did see your point, he said it before.

Ward Dragon
27-11-10, 20:31
This appears to be a simple misunderstanding, so there's no need to argue over it :) I hope nobody feels like they were being attacked.

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 20:35
Taken to PM Ward. :)

moodydog
27-11-10, 21:13
I'm struggling to find the part of my post where I referred specifically to you. :confused:

nah, I wasn't saying it like that... I was simply pointing out that I was agreeing with you. :) Or we have similar view on that specific topic.

Try not to be soo defensive about your comments. :o

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 22:07
nah, I wasn't saying it like that... I was simply pointing out that I was agreeing with you. :) Or we have similar view on that specific topic.

Try not to be soo defensive about your comments. :oOk, but I wasn't being defensive. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
27-11-10, 22:09
Taken to PM Ward. :)

And it needn't have been. I haven't got a problem with you and I couldnt be bothered to reply to your pm because I dont want grief. Sorry you took it the wrong way :S

Mad Tony
27-11-10, 22:10
And it needn't have been. I haven't got a problem with you and I couldnt be bothered to reply to your pm because I dont want grief. Sorry you took it the wrong way :SUnless you were planning to post something inflammatory in your PM there wouldn't have been grief anyway.