PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities using blackmail for money

IceColdLaraCroft
28-11-10, 21:47
Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga, Usher and Justin Timberlake will shut down their facebook and twitter accounts until $1million is raised for a charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11856828

I can understand wanting to raise money for charity, but it's essentially blackmail to say "if you want us back on facebook & twitter you're gonna have to pay up" instead of using those mediums to promote the cause.

larafan25
28-11-10, 21:49
Hmmm good intention...but...I agree, it does seem like blackmail, and what have Facebook and TWITTER done? Will these blackmailing celebrities be giving money to charity too?:)

Dark Lugia 2
28-11-10, 21:56
If anyone really misses them then they can just visit their official websites. Doesnt sound like it'll make a difference imo. :o

Catapharact
28-11-10, 21:57
Alicia Keys... I am seriously disappointed.

To the others... please... I'll pay you a million dollars to shut your twitter pages down.

ShadyCroft
28-11-10, 22:00
That's just me, but I just dont understand the whole following a celebrity on Twitter or having their Facebook page or profile. I couldnt care less if Gaga shut down her Twitter account.
I like her songs and if I came across her on the street will say Hi and maybe take a picture, but this is as far as it goes...
make a big deal about any of them ? obsessing about them ? no..for me, just no.

Chocola teapot
28-11-10, 22:19
As if this is Bad in any shape or form, It's raising money ffs.

Squibbly
28-11-10, 22:24
Or... they could just donate $1 million (each, even, since you know they easily could).

:p

Lee croft
28-11-10, 22:25
As long as Britney doesnt do it I am ok :D

Love2Raid
28-11-10, 22:29
They are making a statement with this action. I donīt see anything wrong with it, itīs raising money for the poor. Whatever people do, itīs always wrong...

LE SIGH

Catapharact
28-11-10, 22:29
Or... they could just donate $1 million (each, even, since you know they easily could).

Now now Squibbly... That would mean that these Celebs understand the concept of common sense. Sadly, I think Hollywood initiation dictates that they have to abandon such concepts along with getting a frontal lobe lobotomy

Rai
28-11-10, 22:31
If it raises money for charity, that can only be a good thing.

TombRaiderLover
28-11-10, 22:33
So... the motivation for donating to this charity is essentially now to encourage these celebrities back online as opposed to actually helping those in need? That's disturbing.

Love2Raid
28-11-10, 22:36
So... the motivation for donating to this charity is essentially now to encourage these celebrities back online as opposed to actually helping those in need? That's disturbing.
Whatīs disturbing is that people obviously care more about their īcelebsī getting back online than unknown people who are starving to death. Thatīs the statement they are making.

Spong
28-11-10, 22:37
Isn't this story the wrong way round? They'd stand more chance of raising a million on the promise of shutting down these accounts, surely?

The more celebrity accounts they shut down, the more money they could raise.

:ohn:

Catapharact
28-11-10, 22:39
Whatīs disturbing is that people obviously care more about their īcelebsī getting back online than unknown people who are starving to death. Thatīs the statement they are making.

Then just plain say it. What are they afraid of? Backlash from their fans? I think they pretty much have guaranteed that with this little antic.

Love2Raid
28-11-10, 22:39
^
Well, they wouldn't get much attention that way.
isn't this story the wrong way round? They'd stand more chance of raising a million on the promise of shutting down these accounts, surely?

The more celebrity accounts they shut down, the more money they could raise.

:ohn:
:vlol:

I wouldnīt touch either Facebook or Twitter with a ten-foot pole.

larafan25
28-11-10, 22:44
Then just plain say it. What are they afraid of? Backlash from their fans? I think they pretty much have guaranteed that with this little antic.

Uggg, the intention is to raise money for charity.

Either make your point, or make your point while giving to charity.

Hmmm...I think the second one makes sense.

Sir Croft
28-11-10, 22:50
As long as Britney doesnt do it I am ok :D

Britney doesn't even own her Facebook, it's pointless.

IceColdLaraCroft
28-11-10, 22:50
As if this is Bad in any shape or form, It's raising money ffs.

It's raising money by withholding something and saying "it's not coming back until we have this figure of money" which is blackmail.

They are making a statement with this action. I donīt see anything wrong with it, itīs raising money for the poor. Whatever people do, itīs always wrong...

LE SIGH

They're pretending to be dead instead of using those same social networking sites to promote the cause they're trying to help. It's extremely self important and like other people have said fans who donate will only care about getting back in touch with their stars rather than the actual cause.

Yep. Which makes me wonder if this would lead to a more financial direction for staying in touch with your fav celebrity. Think about it...this could lead to celebrities saying "if you want 24/7 access to me you just have to pay this fee."

Catapharact
28-11-10, 22:51
Uggg, the intention is to raise money for charity.

Either make your point, or make your point while giving to charity.

Hmmm...I think the second one makes sense.

All you are going to get is a lot of people making excuses NOT to wanna give to charity and with the second option, you have just given them a reason NOT to donate.

Not only that, I am sure that some of the disgruntled "fans" (or should I say addicts) are now going to spread bad publicity about not only the celebs themselves but the charity as well.

Paddy
28-11-10, 22:55
Dont understand how anyone can sugarcoat blackmail as a good thing.

Love2Raid
28-11-10, 22:59
They're pretending to be dead instead of using those same social networking sites to promote the cause they're trying to help. It's extremely self important and like other people have said fans who donate will only care about getting back in touch with their stars rather than the actual cause.

The only problem I see is that the attention will go to them instead of the people they are raising the money for, intentionally or not. But, I can live with that, as long as those who need the help get it. And who knows, maybe the fans will get used to the silence. :mis:

IceColdLaraCroft
28-11-10, 23:11
The only problem I see is that the attention will go to them instead of the people they are raising the money for, intentionally or not. But, I can live with that, as long as those who need the help get it. And who knows, maybe the fans will get used to the silence. :mis:

Something that bothers me is that they're doing things that are COMPLETELY removed from helping in ANY way.

-making videos of themselves in coffins
-going offline from social networking sites

They aren't going to foreign countries with high HIV populations and donating their time, money and personal effort. There are people that criticize Angie when she raises awareness about int'l issues but at least she goes to those countries, meets with those people in need and gives her money as well as her time.

this stunt just seems like "how can I help AND get attention for myself?"

Love2Raid
28-11-10, 23:19
That last sentence of yours hit the nail on the head. Very true.
And it's very easy as well, it doesn't only require no effort, it even saves them time! :vlol:

I don't mind though, it's for a good cause.

StefanJ94
28-11-10, 23:19
meh, let them go! Who needs them anyway :pi: Alicia can stay tho :whi:

Mad Tony
28-11-10, 23:21
The sad thing is a lot of their fans will be stupid enough to give to these charities for that sole reason.

IceColdLaraCroft
28-11-10, 23:23
The sad thing is a lot of their fans will be stupid enough to give to these charities for that sole reason.

and not because they actually care, but just to get their access back.

robm_2007
28-11-10, 23:50

As long as people are donating to charity, i dont care the reason.
-------------
Are they all expecting $1 Million collectively, or $1 Million for each celebrity?

Alpharaider47
28-11-10, 23:55
I'd pay 1 million dollars if Gaga never started her account back up :mis:

Mad Tony
28-11-10, 23:58
I'd pay 1 million dollars if Gaga never started her account back up :mis:I'd pay 1 million dollars for her to just go away for good.

Alpharaider47
29-11-10, 00:02
I'd pay 1 million dollars for her to just go away for good.

That'd be too easy, though I'd love it :p

RockSteady101
29-11-10, 00:05
That's low, but it shows how much we're dependant on celebs (and how they know we are) if them shutting down their virtual interface is possibly going to raise a million.

SkyPuppy
29-11-10, 00:05
^^ i'd pay 1 million dollars if you two would just shut up.

Alpharaider47
29-11-10, 00:08
^^ i'd pay 1 million dollars if you two would just shut up.
I guess you won't be out a million http://1337planet.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/teehee.png

Legend of Lara
29-11-10, 00:12
Whoa that is just that is just that is just meh.

I don't use Facebook so I don't care.
I only use Twitter to stalk voice actors so I don't care.

trXD
29-11-10, 00:27
That does make them look like nobheads :p

igonge
29-11-10, 00:52
They have the money, why can't they give it to charity themselves? Selfish *******s.

trXD
29-11-10, 00:54
They have the money, why can't they give it to charity themselves? Selfish *******s.
Uhh, all four of them do.

igonge
29-11-10, 01:11
Uhh, all four of them do.

Well what's another 1 million then? They want attention.

Ceamonks890
29-11-10, 02:14
I don't even use Facebook or Twitter, nor do I like(Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake) or know(Alicia Keys and Usher), so I don't really care.

KyleCroft
29-11-10, 02:53
I don't even use Facebook or Twitter, nor do I like(Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake) or know(Alicia Keys and Usher), so I don't really care.

You don't know who Usher and Alicia Keys are? :confused::confused:

Ikas90
29-11-10, 03:44
Good. Since not enough people donate to charity, they should be made to by these means.

QiX
29-11-10, 04:04
This is not actually blackmail, it's more a sort of a cyberselfkidnap :p

Tony9595
29-11-10, 04:06
I hope no one donates <3

MangelinaJolie
29-11-10, 05:44

Indeed. This isn't blackmail in any way. Nobody is at risk of anything because they're choosing to pull their presence from two websites. If anyone is so upset as to believe that they are obligated to stay on those sites, and thus donate, they've got problems. It's simply a way for the celebrities in question to bring awareness to the charities, not extort people to donate.

IceColdLaraCroft
29-11-10, 10:07

Indeed. This isn't blackmail in any way. Nobody is at risk of anything because they're choosing to pull their presence from two websites. If anyone is so upset as to believe that they are obligated to stay on those sites, and thus donate, they've got problems. It's simply a way for the celebrities in question to bring awareness to the charities, not extort people to donate.

fine then it's extortion

knightgames
29-11-10, 11:34
They couldn't be any more self important now could they?

I wonder how "stars" would react if fans left messages on the "star's" website/facebook saying they'd ask to be removed from the "star's" list unless the star donated money to a charity. I doubt they'd give it much thought.

Who are the stars aiming this at? Fans of course.... but I'm talking the age/financial demographic which they are aiming this message. Which is kids with most likely NOT a lot of money. (edit: When I say kids I mean from mid-late teens to early twenties)

Say's an awful lot about what the star's feel toward their fans. They couldn't have respectfully asked for donations instead of kidnapping your emotions? Pathetic.

Donate if you want with the clear conscience that you've been duped from your money. I hope it goes to a worthwhile charity that USES the money you send.....

The stars and their antics? Screw them.

tampi
29-11-10, 11:57
After rereading and trying to decipher what they want to do, I have understood this story. :o
:ton:

I^^ also wonder this.

And when I start to wonder about that, I begin to see dark thoughts. Blackmail, precisely.:confused:
First of all. Charity? Which charity is concerned?
That of "charity" is a term so broad....
The charity is given. Simply. You don't need it to make news. First.

Then I also see envy.
They are jealous that Faceebok is making money with their accounts.?

I guess everyone wants their cake. And they are in a position of power on this.

interstellardave
29-11-10, 12:03

Lady Gaga can probably find a million dollars in her couch... :p

Dark Lugia 2
29-11-10, 13:39
Lady Gaga can probably find a million dollars in her couch... :p

I thought you said 'her cooch'! :vlol: but yeah, that too. :p

patriots88888
29-11-10, 18:12
What's really sad is how utterly not surprising any of this is to me. I've detached myself from trying to reason and understand where people's priorties lie.