PDA

View Full Version : Astrobiology Finding By NASA

Squibbly
30-11-10, 00:49
NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at http://www.nasa.gov.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_M10-167_Astrobiology.html

Wow! What do you think they'll say? :eek:

larafan25
30-11-10, 00:50
**** me it's happening!!! ahahahahahhhhhhh!

I knew it I knew it! D:

I'm so friggen stoked, bring on the aliens! D:

Tombraiderx08
30-11-10, 00:51
Hmm...interesting. I dunno. XD

Ward Dragon
30-11-10, 00:53
That's definitely something to look forward to this week :p

larafan25
30-11-10, 00:54
IMO this is better than TR9 cover reveal!

I will re-read that quote in your post more than the leaked brief.

robm_2007
30-11-10, 01:03
Did they finally capture Jocelyn Wildenstein?

Tony9595
30-11-10, 01:04
^ OMG :vlol:

MattTR
30-11-10, 01:04
Interesting.. I hope they have some evidence if they do find anything, like pictures or something.. :vlol: :D

Did they finally capture Jocelyn Wildenstein?

Wasn't she allegedly in Area 51? :confused:

Spong
30-11-10, 01:16

^^This.

Although they'll probably announce that they're closing down SETI. Which would obviously "impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life",

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 01:22
Well, letīs hope the īaliensī are friendlier than those from the movie Mars Attacks!
:vlol:

Come on, I wouldnīt expect anything more than some micro-organisms. Yay.

Squibbly
30-11-10, 01:32

So? Even if that's all it was, that's still an amazing discovery. We'd be really lucky if it was that. We've had basically nothing up until this point and there are still some people who believe the earth is the only place in which life could ever exist (in our possibly INFINITE universe).

Think of what all life started out as. If micro-organisms is all we get, still quite an incredible discovery, I say.

Spong
30-11-10, 01:34
Despite what I said before, I'm secretly hoping they're going to announce that they've unearthed an android's head in a cave beneath San Francisco :jmp:

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 01:34
@Squibbly: If you want my honest opinion: itīs a complete waste of money.

Tony9595
30-11-10, 01:35

That's what they are today. Tomorrow, you'll be in their mouth.

:P

Spong
30-11-10, 01:37
If you want my honest opinion: itīs a complete waste of money.

But even the smallest discovery is still a discovery, no?
We've got to start somewhere.

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 01:38
^
What for?

I respect your opinion, but I just don't see the point. That's what they are today. Tomorrow, you'll be in their mouth.

:P
Oh no you didn't. :ohn:

robm_2007
Wasn't she allegedly in Area 51? :confused:

She escaped from Area 69. Scientists were testing on her to see how she has both cat and human DNA.
--------
I'm sure it's something dumb like, we found water on Mars.

Squibbly
@Squibbly: If you want my honest opinion: itīs a complete waste of money.

Well... fair enough. It is kind of asinine when you consider what money should be going towards. Tonnes of money has been spent on worse things, though. At least we're learning something.

IceColdLaraCroft
30-11-10, 01:43
Despite what I said before, I'm secretly hoping they're going to announce that they've unearthed an android's head in a cave beneath San Francisco :jmp:

It'll be microbial life more than anything else. Or maybe they'll reveal that mother earth is sentient :)

Spong
30-11-10, 01:45
^
What for?

I respect your opinion, but I just don't see the point.

The advancement of our knowledge? It's a wonderful thing.
I can see your point about the amounts of money involved, but I see that merely as indicative of how we're still somewhat inept at the actual research.

It'll be microbial life more than anything else. Or maybe they'll reveal that mother earth is sentient :)

Data's head ftw! :D

Tommy123
30-11-10, 01:47
even though its probably going to be some bacteria/micro-organism

Im still excited :jmp:

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 01:50
I do think satellites, them looking 'out there' to spot any asteroids that might hit us etc etc is all useful. But spending billions of dollars to search for extra-terrestrial life while there are so many people on this planet who are struggling to survive?

Edit:

Just to clarify, I am fully aware of how many things that we use today wouldn't be here without NASA's research, and I am very thankful for that. I am not saying they shouldn't receive any money at all, they should just change their focus (preserving this planet instead of finding some bugs on other planets).

Dark Lugia 2
30-11-10, 02:30
**** me it's happening!!! ahahahahahhhhhhh!

I knew it I knew it! D:

I'm so friggen stoked, bring on the aliens! D:

O M G you're like that crazy dude that wants to shake hands with the aliens/live with them only to be killed by them as soon as they see you that you see in films :p lo

I cant wait to watch the stream!! Any discovery is still a discovery - imo microorganisms are just as significant as we've not discovered any living organisms outside earth before!

@lovetoraid - i dont think thats fair.. NASA's purpose for being is space-related and its always been built up that way, just because they have lots of money doesnt mean they should change their goals from other-worldly to our-worldly :p its like the asking PETA to change their goals to helping humans, and greenpeace, etc

scoopy_loopy
30-11-10, 03:10
How exciting! :D This year has been great for space news, I remember the hype about the Hayabusa return to Earth earlier in the year, all those scientists racing out into the desert... :D Now this! I'm doubtful it's going to be about anything sapient (although that would be pretty awesome), regardless - it'll doubtless be interesting.

Ikas90
30-11-10, 03:11
I've been waiting my whole life for this answer.

Sir Croft
30-11-10, 14:51
Come rescue us, Asari, from this pityful planet! I want to embrace eternity!

Pietras
30-11-10, 14:56
YES! Let's meet Jabba finally!

Forwen
30-11-10, 14:58
I do think satellites, them looking 'out there' to spot any asteroids that might hit us etc etc is all useful. But spending billions of dollars to search for extra-terrestrial life while there are so many people on this planet who are struggling to survive?

Oh how I resent this approach. I understand you donate all the money you don't need to survive to charity?

Pietras
30-11-10, 14:59
Oh how I resent this approach. I understand you donate all the money you don't need to survive to charity?
haha too much truth! I see you still got it despite your age :p

Forwen
30-11-10, 15:00
haha too much truth! I see you still got it despite your age :p

I'm not getting younger that's for certain :p

Pietras
30-11-10, 15:02
I'm not getting younger that's for certain :p

Darling, but there's hope! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=175623 :D

Forwen
30-11-10, 15:07
Darling, but there's hope! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=175623 :D

DePinho said the treatment might be safe in humans if it were given periodically and only to younger people who do not have tiny clumps of cancer cells already living, unnoticed, in their bodies.

Joy :p

scoopy_loopy
30-11-10, 15:24
Come rescue us, Asari, from this pityful planet! I want to embrace eternity!

Wash out your mouth! :mad: Next you'll be telling us all about your Vaenia adventures... :mis:

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 17:13
Nope, I only have a household to run, not a country (or bigger).

xXhayleyroxXx
30-11-10, 17:15
omg :jmp: I hope they found something.

Forwen
30-11-10, 17:22
Nope, I only have a household to run, not a country (or bigger).

And how is that different?

Sir Croft
30-11-10, 17:22
Wash out your mouth! :mad: Next you'll be telling us all about your Vaenia adventures... :mis:

Oh, don't worry. I won't share my azure experience.

Alpharaider47
30-11-10, 17:23

Hey now, at least he didn't say Turians, even though that could be interesting :p

Sir Croft
30-11-10, 17:25
Hey now, at least he didn't say Turians, even though that could be interesting :p

*imagines a female Turian*
*shudder*
I like my women smooth and curvy, thanks!

Alpharaider47
30-11-10, 17:26
*imagines a female Turian*
*shudder*

Ahaha! Well how about Quarians? :p

Forwen
30-11-10, 17:30

But turians are curvy:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8955/turian.jpg

And I DEMAND turian wimmin in ME3!

That being said, considering the very first thing turians did upon coming across humans was to open fire that might not be the best idea :p

Sir Croft
30-11-10, 17:30
^They're not smooth... and look like cockroaches.
Ahaha! Well how about Quarians? :p

Could work. As long as they don't die in the middle of the process.

Forwen
30-11-10, 17:32
You know you don't believe this... Just look at dem hips :cln:

Sir Croft
30-11-10, 17:37
Just look at them exoeskeletons! Creeeeeppy....

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 17:41
And how is that different?
Well, if you are responsible for the welfare of a certain number of people, you will make sure that the basic needs are covered before spending money on bigger things that sure are cool, can't deny that, but have lower priority (imo).

But don't let me ruin your excitement. I will join you all in watching the announcement live, for me being sceptical doesn't mean I'm not curious. :)

Forwen
30-11-10, 17:49
Well, if you are responsible for the welfare of a certain number of people, you will make sure that the basic needs are covered before spending money on bigger things that sure are cool, can't deny that, but have lower priority (imo).

But don't let me ruin your excitement. I will join you all in watching the announcement live, for me being sceptical doesn't mean I'm not curious. :)

Federal government normally contributes less than 1% of its budget to NASA; in contrast they spend 20% of it on 'social security' (numbers pulled from Wiki but they seem to be sourced). Wouldn't make much difference it they scrapped NASA altogether and 'gave the money to the poor'. Also I seriously doubt a party campaigning on such a platform would get very far.

As for the announcement itself... I'll be surprised if it has absolutely anything to do with an actual discovery of extraterrestrial life. We'll see though.

Rai
30-11-10, 17:50

Make that two things. The second being me turning another year ancient.

Roll on Thursday :vlol:

Mmmm, I wonder what it is. It'll be worth a look.

tampi
30-11-10, 17:55
I hope they have more success when they launched the Hubble telescope and then realized they could not see anything. :ohn:

I was never convinced by the explanations.
What the hell happened with that?

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9343/images55.jpg (http://img834.imageshack.us/i/images55.jpg/)

There is no little evidence that something like this is close enough for us.
We have a satellite that, by proximity, should have conditions similar to our planet. And, yet, it's a gray and inert piece of land.:confused:

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 17:57
Federal government normally contributes less than 1% of its budget to NASA; in contrast they spend 20% of it on 'social security' (numbers pulled from Wiki but they seem to be sourced). Wouldn't make much difference it they scrapped NASA altogether and 'gave the money to the poor'. Also I seriously doubt a party campaigning on such a platform would get very far.

As for the announcement itself... I'll be surprised if it has absolutely anything to do with an actual discovery of extraterrestrial life. We'll see though.
Didn't know those numbers, thanks. :)
I think that the absolute amount of money seemed like so much to me, because I am not used to budgets that huge (living in a very small country) like those from the US. So now that I know the relative amount, I can live with that. :p

Let's see what they have to say. XD

Avalon SARL
30-11-10, 19:02
OMG. What an amazing thing it will be to discover something huge as this.
If so, it makes us humans very very superior to any other living being in the whole universe :) ;)

Alpharaider47
30-11-10, 19:14
Could work. As long as they don't die in the middle of the process.

:vlol: You'd think in the future aliens would have cures for those sorts of problems :p

Mytly
30-11-10, 19:19
Considering that it's something that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life, I doubt that it is any actual evidence for extraterrestrial life. ;) Perhaps a completely new method for looking for exoplanets? Or for looking for signs of life on previously found exoplanets? Whatever it is, if it gets us one step closer to finding extraterrestrial life, than that's great. :jmp:

larson n natla
30-11-10, 19:58
I assume this is something to do with SETI however I hope for more news on the confirmation of other life.

Nerd For Life
30-11-10, 20:09
Well... fair enough. It is kind of asinine when you consider what money should be going towards. Tonnes of money has been spent on worse things, though. At least we're learning something.

Agreed. I can't wait to know more about this.

lara c. fan
30-11-10, 20:31

Edit:

Just to clarify, I am fully aware of how many things that we use today wouldn't be here without NASA's research, and I am very thankful for that. I am not saying they shouldn't receive any money at all, they should just change their focus (preserving this planet instead of finding some bugs on other planets).

If NASA finds life on other planets, they could look into seeing if we could make it so humans could survive on that planet, thus solving an population problems that come up for a while. :p

robm_2007
30-11-10, 22:50
Make that two things. The second being me turning another year ancient.

How old will you be? *prepares for a virtual slap*

Unless you were joking/lying, i remember you saying that you were 37 last year, or the year before. but i might have been mistaken or drunk. maybe both.
------------------
I hope its not aliens, cuz it will eventually turn into one of us trying to take of the other group.

Dark Lugia 2
01-12-10, 15:13
Am I right in saying that 2pm EST is 7pm GMT? :o

Catapharact
01-12-10, 15:24
If NASA finds life on other planets, they could look into seeing if we could make it so humans could survive on that planet, thus solving an population problems that come up for a while. :p

If the life they manage to find happen to be bacterial spores or single celled organisms, then that still doesn't guarantees that the planet in question can sustain human life. Bacterial spores can survive in the most harshest environment conceivable... They can survive in outer space itself. Its one of the reasons why scientists and engineers assemble all their spacecrafts in clean rooms.

QiX
01-12-10, 15:30
Am I right in saying that 2pm EST is 7pm GMT? :o

That's it, errm, I guess. EST equals GMT plus 5h. But I may be wrong, I'm never sure of when does daylight saving apply or not. If it wasn't for that timezone conversions would be so easy :p

Liara
01-12-10, 15:49
When I told this to a friend of mine his first reaction was "come on sexy aliens!" And you know what, I'm kind of with him on that... :whi:

I just hope they won't reveal some sort of microscopic bacteria or something. That's hardly exciting news at this point.

Love2Raid
01-12-10, 16:23
I heard itīs some sort of bacteria that needs arsenic to survive, which is apparently unique and proves that life in other conditions than we previously thought is possible.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334628/Astrobiology-findings-Alien-bacteria-lives-arsenic-Californian-lake-opens-search-life-planets.html

I donīt think the absolute number of people will become a real problem. In developed countries, the limit of age has most likely been reached already (about 120 years). Unless we somehow manage to extend this, people wonīt live much longer. Also, people tend to have less children than in the past. Ask your parents or grandparents (if you can) how many siblings they have/had. The norm in developed countries right now is about 2 or 3 kids, 4 is already considered a lot. So if you assume that couples get an average of 2 kids and we wonīt get much older, it wonīt get out of hand. There is enough space. The problem is a lack of resources, which will probably be our own fault (taking more than we return). We could prevent this, if we really wanted to.

I donīt see us surviving on any planet in our solar system, they are just too different. Maybe if we find a way to travel much faster/further, we could find a planet that is just as unique as ours (not sure how unique it is...). For now, our future does not lie on Mars, it lies here.

Oh well, Iīll stop ranting now. :p

Kapu
02-12-10, 01:06
I agree. Everything on Earth has grown to work specifically on Earth and Earth only. I'm sure we could attempt to make living on another planet work, but I don't see how we can get past the fact that we need oxygen.

If there are organisms on another planet I hope to god we don't interfere. I can see us humans really ****ing this up.

Dark Lugia 2
02-12-10, 18:04
Is it supposed to be on now? The live stream wont work for me, from NASATV :/

Think its this:
http://www.justin.tv/solarcast#/w/608400496/3

dizzydoil
02-12-10, 18:20
Yeah, it's that I think or the official link: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

:eek: It's fascinating!

tampi
02-12-10, 18:32
I've heard this a few minutes on the radio.
As usual a "surprising" finding :ohn::confused:
In the mines of Rio Tinto in Huelva (Spain) (http://www.google.es/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1399&bih=713&q=minas+de+rio+tinto&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=), studied about that for years.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3820/riotinto1.jpg (http://img703.imageshack.us/i/riotinto1.jpg/)

Squibbly
02-12-10, 18:40
I'm listening, and from what I gather, they're saying that arsenic has been a substitute for phosphate in the known constituents of organisms.

larafan25
02-12-10, 19:14
I agree. Everything on Earth has grown to work specifically on Earth and Earth only. I'm sure we could attempt to make living on another planet work, but I don't see how we can get past the fact that we need oxygen.

If there are organisms on another planet I hope to god we don't interfere. I can see us humans really ****ing this up.

We simple need to build bridges, durable enclosed bridges from planet to planet.

Our side of the bridge will have oxygen so we can use it, and then their side would have... some other stuff.

Wait, but we still wouldn't be able to go on the planet....I failed.

CerebralAssassin
05-12-10, 09:58
so...what did they say?what was the porisma?

Dark Lugia 2
05-12-10, 12:23
so...what did they say?what was the porisma?

Basically, they found a type of bacteria/microbe who's DNA is something that we've never seen before. Its a small change - DNA as we knew it has always been held together by a phosphate backbone (the strands that make the double helix/spiral) and its been the same for every living organism. This microbe is majorly different in that instead of phosphorus molecules being the backbone in its DNA, its arsenic molecules.

So, its a first because phosphorus has always been very important in the chemistry of DNA.

Dina_Croft
05-12-10, 12:37
I think that they knew this like years ago but now that the top secret files leaked they might have said this because this information is in that files too.

Dark Lugia 2
05-12-10, 12:53
I think that they knew this like years ago but now that the top secret files leaked they might have said this because this information is in that files too.

I dont remmber hearing about anything to do with NASA in the cable filea leaked? And tbh although its fascinating, its not exactly a discovery thats shaking the world or worthy of being top secret... like a found alien or something. :p

Dina_Croft
05-12-10, 12:59
I dont remmber hearing about anything to do with NASA in the cable filea leaked? And tbh although its fascinating, its not exactly a discovery thats shaking the world or worthy of being top secret... like a found alien or something. :p

Yeah like some things from the leaked files are so important. :whi:

Dark Lugia 2
05-12-10, 13:29
Yeah like some things from the leaked files are so important. :whi:

Still dont see how you associate this with the leaked files though. :p If anything theyd push to release info and not hide it because it gives NASA and their scientists that 'edge' on research.

Ward Dragon
05-12-10, 20:27
Basically, they found a type of bacteria/microbe who's DNA is something that we've never seen before. Its a small change - DNA as we knew it has always been held together by a phosphate backbone (the strands that make the double helix/spiral) and its been the same for every living organism. This microbe is majorly different in that instead of phosphorus molecules being the backbone in its DNA, its arsenic molecules.

So, its a first because phosphorus has always been very important in the chemistry of DNA.

Yeah, what I heard was that they knew the organism lived in an environment that contained arsenic so they intentionally took samples and gave the organism arsenic instead of phosphorous to see what would happen. They are saying that the surviving organisms incorporated the arsenic into their DNA in place of phosphate. I think there's still a debate going on though because some chemists think that arsenic compounds are too unstable in water for the resulting DNA to last, so I'm sure more experiments will be done to confirm whether the DNA does in fact contain arsenic now.

Aphrodite22
05-12-10, 21:23
IMO all these ''news'' have been known by them for like 20 years and now
they reveal them as a big discoverement just to seem transparent but in
reality they have much bigger news hidden that they dont wanna reveal
(like having aliens trapped underground wtf)

Tony9595
05-12-10, 21:55
It'd be funny if they made their way up to the surface :p

Chocola teapot
05-12-10, 22:55
That's amazing, IMO.

Life is amazing.