PDA

View Full Version : Just paid my tuition bill for Winter term

Solice
30-11-10, 03:08
Brother, can you spare a dime? :( They say I'm too 'rich' for student aid, then why does tuition make me so poor?

Why does tuition go up five times faster than inflation?

Alpharaider47
30-11-10, 05:52
Wish I knew! I got the bill for my next quarter, it's not cheap at all :(

scoopy_loopy
30-11-10, 05:57
Why do you make such trivial threads, and so often? It's a little trying. "No offence."

Dennis's Mom
30-11-10, 13:50
Sorry. I have to pay Dennis's in the next week.

Mikky
30-11-10, 13:52
Sorry. I have to pay Dennis's in the next week.

You mean, you have to pay " Dennis' ". :p You don't add an extra "s", you just put a ' . That's what I learned in school, anyway. :p

scoopy_loopy
30-11-10, 13:59
You mean, you have to pay " Dennis' ". :p You don't add an extra "s", you just put a ' . That's what I learned in school, anyway. :p

It's correct either way, because 'Dennis' naturally ends in an 's', even without it being plural. You were probably just taught a different convention.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-11-10, 14:01
The tuition fees are exactly why I don't go to Uni. Tiz ridiculous :ohn:

Underworld2008
30-11-10, 15:28
I'm going uni next year.

FML when it comes to money :L

lara c. fan
30-11-10, 15:30
I can live off the cheap noodles if it comes to that...

I love cheap noodles.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-10, 15:35

I love cheap noodles.

Hey you know, you could make your own noodles even cheaper!

http://www.freevectors.com/downloads/flour/flour.jpg

lara c. fan
30-11-10, 15:37
Hey you know, you could make your own noodles even cheaper!

http://www.freevectors.com/downloads/flour/flour.jpg

Meh, effort. :p

By cheap I mean 12-17p. Still cheap, and good enough as a meal.

Liara
30-11-10, 15:40
"We don't need no education"... :D I just paid off my own fee, so we're pretty much in the same boat. I'm not complaining though, I don't eat much or like to shop.

Lee croft
30-11-10, 16:12
I was meant to go to uni in 2 and a half years time but thanks to the rise in money I will not be going at all.

So this has changed my direction completely. :(

Dark Lugia 2
30-11-10, 16:30
The rise in money hasnt changed my decision :S it should come into effect in my second year at uni. I'll just take our a student loan or something? There are some family savings too
I'm excited :D but obviously not excited to pay lol. Already have 2/5 uni offers back, wahey! anything to get me out of this city :p i joke lol (no, really)

Love2Raid
30-11-10, 18:10
I feel your pain. :/

Dennis's Mom
30-11-10, 18:14
It's correct either way, because 'Dennis' naturally ends in an 's', even without it being plural. You were probably just taught a different convention.
I follow Strunk's guidance. (http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html) Lynch (http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/p.html) is not in disagreement with him.

TRfan23
30-11-10, 18:17
I was meant to go to uni in 2 and a half years time but thanks to the rise in money I will not be going at all.

So this has changed my direction completely. :(

You just need to take out a student loan, and you won't pay it back unless you earn a certain amount in a job. If you don't have a job, you won't be paying it back and in 25 years after getting the loan it'll be written off even if you haven't fully paid the amount back.

Besides the government aren't forcing the uni's to rise the tuition fees, they're permitting them, afaik.

the_legend
30-11-10, 21:47
im currently on the aksa , economy school. they said the WHOLE three years would cost about 3000 chf but now ( im in the first half of the second year) its already something about 4000 , adding the laptop 5000:mad:

Mad Tony
30-11-10, 21:48
The rise in money hasnt changed my decision :S it should come into effect in my second year at uni. I'll just take our a student loan or something? There are some family savings too
I'm excited :D but obviously not excited to pay lol. Already have 2/5 uni offers back, wahey! anything to get me out of this city :p i joke lol (no, really)How long did those offers take to come through? I sent my applications off yesterday.

Legend of Lara
30-11-10, 21:57

I love cheap noodles.

Yes.

Nerd For Life
30-11-10, 22:32
I've never thought of a more appropriate moment to say "cool story, bro" than this one.

So...

Cool story, bro.

robm_2007
30-11-10, 22:38
always write on student aid/financial aid forms that niether you nor your family are going to be using any personal money for your education; they give you more.

at least, on my forms it asks how much anticipated funding will come from family or personal money, and i always put $0.
--------------
my (community college) school costs (without books) for Spring Semester is $3440. its about 14 Credit hours, room and board in the dorms (Meal plan included in the dorms here). so it should be about 4K with books. ive been able to reuse a couple books over 2 years, so i was able to save money that didnt go towards books.

but we have to pay before school starts, is it not like that for universities?

Solice
01-12-10, 00:13
Why do you make such trivial threads, and so often? It's a little trying. "No offence."

Take your arrogance someplace else. You are not who determines what is 'trivial'.

robm_2007
01-12-10, 00:52
Take your arrogance someplace else. You are not who determines what is 'trivial'.

this thread actually has some decent point of being here; unlike the "LOL catZ in Sinkz", or the "Why is Mr. Krabs Daughter a Whale?" threads.

jjbennett
01-12-10, 01:00
If one other person likes a thread it has a purpose. If you don't like what's in it then leave, if you don't agree, then put a point across and get some discourse going.

Seems simple to me.

Tuition fees are one of the main talking points here in the UK at the moment. I'm glad i finished my degree this year to avoid the possible hike in prices, but due to failing the year i'm worried as to how, if i wish to resit the final year in future, how much it will cost.

Solice
01-12-10, 02:50
always write on student aid/financial aid forms that niether you nor your family are going to be using any personal money for your education; they give you more.

at least, on my forms it asks how much anticipated funding will come from family or personal money, and i always put $0.
--------------
my (community college) school costs (without books) for Spring Semester is $3440. its about 14 Credit hours, room and board in the dorms (Meal plan included in the dorms here). so it should be about 4K with books. ive been able to reuse a couple books over 2 years, so i was able to save money that didnt go towards books.

but we have to pay before school starts, is it not like that for universities?

Yes, Uni is always pay up front. It is smart to go to community college first. What is your major?

If one other person likes a thread it has a purpose. If you don't like what's in it then leave, if you don't agree, then put a point across and get some discourse going.

Seems simple to me.

Tuition fees are one of the main talking points here in the UK at the moment. I'm glad i finished my degree this year to avoid the possible hike in prices, but due to failing the year i'm worried as to how, if i wish to resit the final year in future, how much it will cost.

The English are really getting whacked too. How much does it cost to go to Uni in England?

Ikas90
01-12-10, 02:58
I don't do uni. I sincerely doubt that it's going to get me anywhere in life, rendering it a waste of time and money.

robm_2007
01-12-10, 03:55
Yes, Uni is always pay up front. It is smart to go to community college first. What is your major?

Im double majoring in Secondary Education; adn hopefully in Russian or Japanese, with a minor in something related to either language (like history or politics or something).

I plan to become a High School Foreign Language teaccher, as its a field that is in high demeand, adn i think american students need more culturalizing. Ive always wanted to be a teacher, and i ve alsway wanted to learn several languages, so i decided to combine the two adn make it my carerr choice :D

maybe after 10-15 years of high school teaching, i'll teach at a community college, so that i can swear and talk about whatever adn not get in trouble :p :pi:

Solice
01-12-10, 05:08
Im double majoring in Secondary Education; adn hopefully in Russian or Japanese, with a minor in something related to either language (like history or politics or something).

I plan to become a High School Foreign Language teaccher, as its a field that is in high demeand, adn i think american students need more culturalizing. Ive always wanted to be a teacher, and i ve alsway wanted to learn several languages, so i decided to combine the two adn make it my carerr choice :D

maybe after 10-15 years of high school teaching, i'll teach at a community college, so that i can swear and talk about whatever adn not get in trouble :p :pi:

Sounds like an exciting goal. You can also travel the world, teaching English and making very good money.

touchthesky
01-12-10, 09:43
Come to Scotland.

:P

jackali
01-12-10, 10:36
The English are really getting whacked too. How much does it cost to go to Uni in England?

At the moment, just over 3,000 a year on tuition fees, then another 4,000 on living costs etc.

So that's roughly 21,000 for a three year degree... and that's the lower end figures. Some people have to pay out a lot more for living costs, books etc.

After the reforms come in... roughly 9,000 a year in tuition fees, then the same on living costs.

That'll be over 39,000 for a three year degree, and again, low end figures for living costs and books, depending on whereabouts you have to live and what course you're doing for the books.

Dark Lugia 2
01-12-10, 13:57
Come to Scotland.

:P

A friend of mine looked into that lol :p He thought he was a Scottist citizen because he was born there - but you have to have lived there for 3 years to be entitled to apply for uni

Sgt BOMBULOUS
01-12-10, 14:21
So what's your degree in?