PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things Teens Won't Tell Parents

DgoOdz94
30-11-10, 21:00
Wonder what’s bugging your teen? It’s hard to be certain when all your son does is grunt and your daughter won’t stop rolling her eyes. So rather than pressing our own kids to talk—not going to happen!—we asked teenagers from around the country what messages they wish they could share with their moms and dads. Sure, every child is different, but it may do you and your teen some good if you took these truthful kids’ concerns to heart.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/10-things-your-teenager-wont-tell-you-2413662/

I actually don't tell a couple these.... :whi:

Miharu
30-11-10, 21:15
Nothing I haven't read/heard about before...

xXhayleyroxXx
30-11-10, 21:33
My parents are so lovely (not my step-parents). They are the best parents anyone could ask for ^_^ My dad's the better listener, and advice giver. He gives me space but makes sure I date the right people. He's still very traditional so if you wanna marry me, you better ask my daddy ;)
I can talk to my mum about absolutely anything. She's been there for me through everything. She'll also tell me things how they are -- hard, cold facts instead of sugaring the truth.
Love them both so much <3

Phlip
30-11-10, 21:35
I've experienced #1, #6 & #9. #6 is the worst. My brother gets treated a lot better than me. =/

leglion
30-11-10, 21:35
The list forgot something very major: sexuality.

DgoOdz94
30-11-10, 21:41
I've experienced #1, #6 & #9. #6 is the worst. My brother gets treated a lot better than me. =/
I've experienced #2, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Mostly #4, 9, and 10.

This. I expected them to mention something about it, but there you go... :(

Phlip
30-11-10, 21:42

I'd say only about 20% of all have that problem. The list is based off the most popular things, so sexuality probably wasn't popular enough.

Spong
30-11-10, 22:51

Strictly speaking, I think #5 covers that whole sphere.

Uzi master
30-11-10, 22:53
funny, I dont recall being asked about no.6, yet it seems to be exactly my situation (minus the fact that as of the fifteenth I'm 14 now:p)

DgoOdz94
30-11-10, 22:55
I'd say only about 20% of all have that problem. The list is based off the most popular things, so sexuality probably wasn't popular enough.
Perhaps, or like Spong said #5 may cover that.

Lee croft
30-11-10, 23:02
I dont tell my parents anything.

Underworld2008
30-11-10, 23:08
I don't tend to tell my parents much, although I love them more than anything in the world. My mum, however, is always asking me things :P I know they both trust me, and they pretty much know what things I wouldn't tell them.

Theres just some things you can't tell them without being cringed!

jjbennett
01-12-10, 00:46
To be perfectly honest i never really talked to my parents about anything, they split as i was just becoming a teenager and im not afraid to say that it must have altered something. My Mum and especially my Dad are great people and i probably haven't told them that in a long time, but i'd never tell them anything personal, it just feels really wierd.

My Dad (who i live with) also has no idea of privacy. I was planning to to move out now i've finished uni but due to him being made redundant i don't really want to as if he can't find a job he'll have to rent etc. So im 21, living at home with someone who can't knock before coming into my room. That really rustles my jimmies.

matrix54
01-12-10, 00:59
My mother nag too much for me to tell her anything. She was jumping down my throat when she found a small index card that said you have HIV in an envelope with a gold star on it from a game about spreading STDs at school. :rolleyes: I gave her a dumb look (at that moment I REALLY questioned her intelligence) and I'm think through my head "does that look the slightest bit official. really?" I understand the need to be protective and what not, but credibility does play an important role in certain citations. I have enough nagging from he things she tells me. I don't want more from the crap I tell her. -_-

jjbennett
01-12-10, 01:05
For most parents though it's a learing curve as they'll only do it once or twice and you have to factor that each kid is different as well.

Some people get parents who are just naturally good at it, others have parents that are pushy/harsh/lacking and it's luck of the draw really.

One of my old work colleagues, talked to his daughter when she started seeing a boy and said something along the lines of "you don't want to hear it, but here we go, you'll probably end up at some point having sex, maybe not with said boyfriend but anyway, i can't stop you doing it when we're out the house, i trust you, so just be safe, if you need anything, me and your mum are here". For the record, he told me his daughter has never been in trouble or done anything stupid. Correct parenting.

matrix54
01-12-10, 01:13
She know I'm an intelligent person, and I've even worked at a small company that promotes safe sex and all that. Before that, I used to get lectures from them all the time, and they covered all sorts of tops from being in "Love" to be being an outright slut and spreading AIDS everywhere. SHE KNOWS ALL OF THIS. The problem I have is that... she never gives me Credit for ANY of my knowledge. She sees a problem, nags and I look at her like "Don't you think I know. I'm sure you know I know this, why am I being lectured?" But it isn't just sexual subjects, its everything. She's just stubborn and she acknowledges the problem for acknowledging the child, almost as if she doesn't even know me. Its like... take out the time to get to know me before you assume I have an STD. -_-. Not just that, but trust in general. She says I'm a good child, she even brags about it. Yet, I get no trust. Not only do I do very little bad things, I have no motivation to. Its stupid. Over bearing mother or not.

Tommy123
01-12-10, 03:04
I hardly tell my parents anything.

afterall they would prolly find an issue in anything i say anyway
:rolleyes:

Liara
01-12-10, 11:35
I always hear people saying that they're best friends with their parents and that they tell them everything. What a bunch of BS. No one can ever be actual best friends with their parents unless the age gap isn't that big or the mother/father has the mentality of a teen.

Theres just some things you can't tell them without being cringed!
Amen to that. I'd rather deal with most problems myself then hear my mother give me some sort of cringe worthy details from her life.

TheCoolJazz
01-12-10, 12:01
I dont tell my parents anything.

lol same :D

i mean they do care, but they only do it worse for you then just not telling them anything.

Tonyrobinson
01-12-10, 12:17
Hahaha, I think I've committed all these crimes in my younger days. I'm much more mature now and speak to my parents about everything! :D

Miharu
01-12-10, 12:38
I love my parents they spoil me and there extremely liberal etc. they trust me with a girl and if I was gay that wouldn't phase them one bit. They trust me being alone in the house for 1 or 2 nights etc. so we have a strong sense of trust.

However I don't really tell them anything, not because I'm afraid, but more because it doesn't feel right...most of the issues I have are usually things I have to sort out for myself, having my mum and dad's support would be great but still...It's just something I'd rather sort out my self.

And sometimes there's nothing I really need to tell them.

Another Lara
01-12-10, 12:51
Both my parents are great, although my dad has always been quite strict but I've always respected him for it, and they've never told me not to do something if I wanted to do it! My dad even approved of me smoking pot lol (my dad used to do it as a teenager and so said as an occasional social thing it was harmless!)!

My mum was always the one I went to about boys and sex... she doesn't know all the ins and outs of my sex life (like when I lost my virginity and how many guys I've slept with), but she listens to my love troubles and lets me pour my heart out. She also went with me to the doctors when I went on the pill and to have my first smear test. She did the same with my sister.

I was a typical teenager a lot of the time though, as in just grunted a lot and was always moody and stayed in my room a lot, but I always knew they were there for me which deep down I knew was a great thing to have. I really hope when I have kids one day they appreciate me the way I appreciate my parents!

Miharu
01-12-10, 14:15
Both my parents are great, although my dad has always been quite strict but I've always respected him for it, and they've never told me not to do something if I wanted to do it! My dad even approved of me smoking pot lol (my dad used to do it as a teenager and so said as an occasional social thing it was harmless!)!

My mum was always the one I went to about boys and sex... she doesn't know all the ins and outs of my sex life (like when I lost my virginity and how many guys I've slept with), but she listens to my love troubles and lets me pour my heart out. She also went with me to the doctors when I went on the pill and to have my first smear test. She did the same with my sister.

I was a typical teenager a lot of the time though, as in just grunted a lot and was always moody and stayed in my room a lot, but I always knew they were there for me which deep down I knew was a great thing to have. I really hope when I have kids one day they appreciate me the way I appreciate my parents!

That's pretty much my situation.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-12-10, 14:37
I always hear people saying that they're best friends with their parents and that they tell them everything. What a bunch of BS..

I disagree, sorry :o My mum feels like my best friend because she thinks like a teen -- I go shopping with her and discuss her relationship with my step dad. I help her make decisions and stuff, much as a best friend would do. Although I don't exactly go shopping with my dad, I'll talk through his problems too. I take interest in his hobbies and help him.
Hell, I hate the idea of fishing but I'd go with him if he wanted me too.

When I argue with my parents, they'll ring me up apologising an hour later -- they're so cute <3

cezy rockeru
01-12-10, 14:43
•Sometimes he just needs you to listen.
•He hates when you don’t hold his siblings accountable.
•He wishes you would trust him.

I couldn't agree more...

Dark Lugia 2
01-12-10, 14:53
I dont tell my parents some things either. Like a couple in that list! (good list btw!) Mine are amazing parents but they are a bit too strict for my liking.. putting restrictions on me, stuff like that. I know they do it out of love and want to protect their kids, but theres a time where you should start to let your kids do stuff on their own and let them learn right? I have to bring up that I'm 17 and saying that its frustrating to have harsh limits. :p

I know I'm lucky to have parents that stop and think when I have a point though, its common over here for religious (muslim) parents to stick to their impulse decisions. And they feel like theyre 'losing their respect' if they go against their first decision or if the son/daughter wants to go against that decision, no matter how trivial :p The reality is that you have to earn respect, even from your kids.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-12-10, 15:00
I dont tell my parents some things either. Like a couple in that list! (good list btw!) Mine are amazing parents but they are a bit too strict for my liking.. putting restrictions on me, stuff like that. I know they do it out of love and want to protect their kids, but theres a time where you should start to let your kids do stuff on their own and let them learn right? I have to bring up that I'm 17 and saying that its frustrating to have harsh limits. :p

I know I'm lucky to have parents that stop and think when I have a point though, its common over here for religious (muslim) parents to stick to their impulse decisions. And they feel like theyre 'losing their respect' if they go against their first decision or if the son/daughter wants to go against that decision, no matter how trivial :p The reality is that you have to earn respect, even from your kids.

Mine are like that too -- but I grew up to respect that and now I see that I'm better off. I'm not allowed to smoke or do drugs. I drink though. I was never allowed to sleep over at a boy's house. And if they don't like who I'm dating -- they'll tell me.

Liara
01-12-10, 15:11
I disagree, sorry :o My mum feels like my best friend because she thinks like a teen.
I didn't mean just being close to your folks, but actual best friends. Like having the same relationship like with your best mate from school. Do you really feel comfortable telling them about skipping a class, that time you got drunk, did something stupid or some embarrassing troubles you got yourself into?

I just vault that stuff away and if they ever find out I deny the heck out of it. I might be 21, but they can still lecture me like a kid. My parents sometimes say that if I ever end up doing something stupid I should just make sure they never find out. And I am so using that phrase if I ever have kids... :pi:

Dark Lugia 2
01-12-10, 15:20
Mine are like that too -- but I grew up to respect that and now I see that I'm better off. I'm not allowed to smoke or do drugs. I drink though. I was never allowed to sleep over at a boy's house. And if they don't like who I'm dating -- they'll tell me.

Those are expected though. I'm talking really strict - I'm not allowed to sleep over at anyones house, and theyd like to think that I dont date at all. I'm not allowed to drink. Drugs is a kind of obvious one though :p Those are just a few examples I can think of
Imo theres strict, and then theres harsh. :o Harsh isnt good, I like that your parents would tell you if they didnt like who your dating, instead of flat out stopping you :tmb:

xXhayleyroxXx
01-12-10, 15:21
I didn't mean just being close to your folks, but actual best friends. Like having the same relationship like with your best mate from school. Do you really feel comfortable telling them about skipping a class, that time you got drunk, did something stupid or some embarrassing troubles you got yourself into?

I just vault that stuff away and if they ever find out I deny the heck out of it. I might be 21, but they can still lecture me like a kid. My parents sometimes say that if I ever end up doing something stupid I should just make sure they never find out. And I am so using that phrase if I ever have kids... :pi:

I'd tell me mum those things, yeah :p

Those are expected though. I'm talking really strict - I'm not allowed to sleep over at anyones house, and theyd like to think that I dont date at all. I'm not allowed to drink. Drugs is a kind of obvious one though :p Those are just a few examples I can think of
Imo theres strict, and then theres harsh. :o Harsh isnt good, I like that your parents would tell you if they didnt like who your dating, instead of flat out stopping you :tmb:

Gosh, no my parents arent that strict 0_0 And yeah, i like that too ^_^

Lara Croft!
01-12-10, 22:55
Nothing I haven't read/heard about before...

Same here...

AchilleusGoyo
02-12-10, 01:20

yes, that can't be forgot:D

herothing
02-12-10, 16:41
I could probably pick out a few those that my parents are guilty of.

FloTheMachine
02-12-10, 18:44
My brother was treated a lot better than me :(

Twilight
07-12-10, 01:53
luckily i have 1 parent that listens and understands i'm human and make mistakes. the other one yells at me for everything that isn't perfect.

LaraCablara
07-12-10, 01:58
I don't tell mine anything :p. It makes life much easier, that is, until they find out.

I noticed once you tell em something, they just poop on it. A situation that I'm feeling a little bad about or a tiny problem suddenly turns into World War III or my possible death once they find out.

"Mum can I date an Asian girl?"
"NO YOU'RE GONNA DIE AND MARRY HER AND HAVE CHINESE BABIES"

"Mum can I join the swim team?"
"NO YOU'RE GONNA DROWN AND CATCH A COLD AFTERWARD"

"Mum can I ride a roller coaster?"
"NO YOU'RE GONNA BREAK YOUR BACK" (Ironically, my friend broke his on my first roller coaster ride.)

I did all em anyway :p.

Croftizzle
07-12-10, 02:33
Religion. I don't want to disappoint you by saying I'm an aethiest.

Where's that on your fancy list?? :p