PDA

View Full Version : Russia and Qatar To Host 2018 and 2022 World Cups

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 17:50
England missed out on the right to host the 2018 World Cup after football's governing body Fifa picked Russia to stage the event for the first time.Russia beat England, Spain-Portugal and Netherlands-Belgium to win a ballot of Fifa's 22 executive members in Zurich.

England hoped Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham would give them a boost but the bid got only two votes, with a majority of 12 needed.
Meanwhile, Qatar was chosen to host the 2022 World Cup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9250585.stm

The whole thing is disgraceful IMO.

Doubt many people on here will care but I know there are some sports fans around here.

jackles
02-12-10, 17:51
I care. I wanted us to get it!!! :o

lara c. fan
02-12-10, 17:55
Why is it disgraceful?

Keir_Eidos
02-12-10, 17:56
:(

Congratulations to them.

2026 is due to be out of Europe (although this isn't confirmed) and 2030 will be the 100th anniversary (would expect Uruguay would be a shoe in there for at least a joint bid) so... the next time we'll have a realistic chance to get it will be 2034.

I'll be 56 :yik:

TombOfRaiders
02-12-10, 17:58
I couldn't care less the fact that our country lost out. Congrats Russia & Qatar.

Phlip
02-12-10, 17:59
I couldn't care less the fact that our country lost out. Congrats Russia & Qatar.

This. :) If anything it's a good thing, tbh.

*leaves thread so don't quote this post and ask me why* :vlol:

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:00
Why is it disgraceful?Russia - similar issues to South Africa with regards to things like security and corruption. Also, Russian is known for being quite racist, as far as football is concerned anyway. Poor infrastructure and facilities too in comparison to the other bids. All of the other bids (England, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands) would've been much more appropriate.

Qatar - Completely irrelevant in the footballing world and have a very poor human rights record. Also I think the temperatures in the summer there are ridiculous.

Would like to see England form a breakaway organization because I'm fed up with FIFA corruption.

Oh and by the way, to those who don't care, don't post. I made this thread for those who do care (regardless of their opinion).

Spong
02-12-10, 18:03
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! :vlol:

I couldn't stop myself laughing when I heard England had lost the bid. Personally, I'm glad (as if that wasn't patently clear). In a time of supposed austerity, we're wasting enough money as it is on the Olympics in 2012.

If you want to pin the blame on someone for us losing the bid, blame David Beckham. Talk about inarticulate, he can't string more than two sentences together without saying "y'know".

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:07
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! :vlol:

I couldn't stop myself laughing when I heard England had lost the bid. Personally, I'm glad (as if that wasn't patently clear). In a time of supposed austerity, we're wasting enough money as it is on the Olympics in 2012.

If you want to pin the blame on someone for us losing the bid, blame David Beckham. Talk about inarticulate, he can't string more than two sentences together without saying "y'know".I'm not gonna rise to the obvious trolling attempt but what's wrong with David Beckham? He's one of the few recent England players with any class about him.

lara c. fan
02-12-10, 18:11
Russia - similar issues to South Africa with regards to things like security and corruption. Also, Russian is known for being quite racist, as far as football is concerned anyway. Poor infrastructure and facilities too in comparison to the other bids. All of the other bids (England, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands) would've been much more appropriate.

Qatar - Completely irrelevant in the footballing world and have a very poor human rights record. Also I think the temperatures in the summer there are ridiculous.

Would like to see England form a breakaway organization because I'm fed up with FIFA corruption.

Oh and by the way, to those who don't care, don't post. I made this thread for those who do care (regardless of their opinion).

And? Let them have their chance. It's hardly disgraceful because a perhaps more well-known EU country or something didn't get it.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:13
And? Let them have their chance. It's hardly disgraceful because a perhaps more well-known EU country or something didn't get it.I'd be happy to let them have their chance if they were actually fit to host the games. Take Australia. Never hosted a World Cup before but I would have liked to have seen them got it.

What's the point of even bidding for the World Cup if it just goes to nations that haven't had it before?

Catapharact
02-12-10, 18:18

Tony... While I agree with your views in general, sometimes you just leave this impression that you don't really read much about the world.

Qatar is actually one of the more accepting countries in the region, which offers equal rights to both men and women, allows open practice of religions other then Islam, and even has an open policy when it comes to alcohol consumption.

Tonyrobinson
02-12-10, 18:21
I don't care much for the game but it would've been nice to see something hosted here but hey atleast Britain has the Olympics for 2012. :)

Spong
02-12-10, 18:21
I'm not gonna rise to the obvious trolling attempt but what's wrong with David Beckham? He's one of the few recent England players with any class about him.

It's not trolling, that's what I genuinely think. David Beckham, for all his footballing prowess, is a retard. He was a terrible choice to represent us at the bid.

I'd be happy to let them have their chance if they were actually fit to host the games.

And we are? Judging by the disgraceful actions of the fans at the Birmingham/Aston villa match last night, I'm not surprised Fifa want to keep football's most prestigious tournament away from the home of hooliganism.

lara c. fan
02-12-10, 18:22
I'd be happy to let them have their chance if they were actually fit to host the games. Take Australia. Never hosted a World Cup before but I would have liked to have seen them got it.

What's the point of even bidding for the World Cup if it just goes to nations that haven't had it before?

Oh, come off it. There was a time where England, France, Italy and so on hadn't had it. You think they shouldn't have got it, and it should have just kept it where it was first held?

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:23
Tony... While I agree with your views in general, sometimes you just leave this impression that you don't really read much about the world.

Qatar is actually one of the more accepting countries in the region, which offers equal rights to both men and women, allows open practice of religions other then Islam, and even has an open policy when it comes to alcohol consumption.Qatar may be fairly liberal compared to its neighbors but they still leave much to be desired when it comes to human rights.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:28
Oh, come off it. There was a time where England, France, Italy and so on hadn't had it. You think they shouldn't have got it, and it should have just kept it where it was first held?What? All I'm saying is that it should go to the best bid. For example, all of the bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were marked as low risk, except Russia which was medium and Qatar which was high. Why choose countries where there are bigger risks to fans?

It's not trolling, that's what I genuinely think. David Beckham, for all his footballing prowess, is a retard. He was a terrible choice to represent us at the bid.I was on about the whole "hahahaha England didn't get the bid".

And we are? Judging by the disgraceful actions of the fans at the Birmingham/Aston villa match last night, I'm not surprised Fifa want to keep football's most prestigious tournament away from the home of hooliganism.Hooliganism like that is very rare. As a Villa fan who has been to a number of games against Birmingham City I can tell you there is not normally any trouble.

If you think England is the home of hooliganism you clearly know nothing about football. Coincidentally, Russia is really bad for hooliganism, far worse than England. Not to mention there is a problem with racism towards black players in Russia.

Catapharact
02-12-10, 18:32
Qatar may be fairly liberal compared to its neighbors but they still leave much to be desired when it comes to human rights.

Qatar has problems when it comes to its anti-gay laws (specifically, the act of sodomy which can land a person in jail for 5 years.) Other then that, there isn't really much of a problem in that region. Al-Quakers usually stays out of there (since they have nothing to gain by attacking people in that small country) and it houses not only a good local security force but an international one as well (including U.S. soldiers.)

Given the country's good GDP standing (and the fact that they don't owe much of a debt to the World Bank of the IMF as compared to England or Australia,) its a viable choice to host the game in.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:35
Qatar has problems when it comes to its anti-gay laws (specifically, the act of sodomy which can land a person in jail for 5 years.) Other then that, there isn't really much of a problem in that region. Al-Quakers usually stays out of there (since they have nothing to gain by attacking people in that small country) and it houses not only a good local security force but an international one as well (including U.S. soldiers.)

Given the country's good GDP standing (and the fact that the don't owe much of a debt to the World Bank of the IMF as compared to England or Australia,) its a viable choice to host the game in.Fair point, but how passionate about football are they? While that shouldn't stop anyone I do think it's important that a host nation has a strong love for the game.

Spong
02-12-10, 18:35
I was on about the whole "hahahaha England didn't get the bid"

That wasn't trolling either. I found it genuinely funny.

If you think England is the home of hooliganism you clearly know nothing about football.

I've never claimed to know anything about football. The game sucks if you ask me, the World Cup is about the only football tournament I can stomach. It doesn't change the fact that England has the biggest reputation for hooliganism though (regardless of the 'facts' you throw around).

Catapharact
02-12-10, 18:40
Fair point, but how passionate about football are they? While that shouldn't stop anyone I do think it's important that a host nation has a strong love for the game.

Well... Why don't you decide for yourself after reading this ;).

http://www.mapsofworld.com/qatar/sports/soccer.html

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 18:41
I've never claimed to know anything about football. The game sucks if you ask me, the World Cup is about the only football tournament I can stomach. It doesn't change the fact that England has the biggest reputation for hooliganism though (regardless of the 'facts' you throw around).England did have the biggest reputation for hooliganism... in the 80s. It's a well known fact that countries like Russia suffer from big problems with hooliganism. Rare sights of hooliganism are clearly not the reason why England didn't win the 2018 bid.

@Cat: I'm sorry but I don't think that article is much to go by :p

Qatar soccer is noted for its excellent football players who are regarded as one of the finest sports persons anywhere in the world.No disrespect to them but they are very small when it comes to football. 100 Canadian dollars if you can find me one person who can name a Qatari football player.

Catapharact
02-12-10, 18:53
uch to go by :p

No disrespect to them but they are very small when it comes to football. 100 Canadian dollars if you can find me one person who can name a Qatari football player.

Irrelevant. You asked if they were passionate about Football ;). They have 20 good internationally known clubs going (one of them I believe was even sponsored by Coca Cola.) And the country obviously has a love for the sport.

Punaxe
02-12-10, 18:58
(...) Poor infrastructure and facilities too in comparison to the other bids. (...)

Not that I've really been following this, but it was my understanding that Russia, in fact, had no facilities at all. Which is exactly why it was a strong bid: everything could be exactly the way FIFA wanted it to be, because it still had to be built. All finances had been secured, unlike the Netherlands where there wasn't even full governmental approval let alone a tight financial plan. I wouldn't have wanted to have it here; we're short on space as it is and I - and most regional governments with me - was never sure of any real and lasting benefits.

But hey, at least you've got London 2012.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 19:20
Irrelevant. You asked if they were passionate about Football ;). They have 20 good internationally known clubs going (one of them I believe was even sponsored by Coca Cola.) And the country obviously has a love for the sport.I'm an avid football fan and I don't know of any of these clubs. :p

I'm just worried that it will be a similar situation to South Africa. In other words, lots of empty seats.

Not that I've really been following this, but it was my understanding that Russia, in fact, had no facilities at all. Which is exactly why it was a strong bid: everything could be exactly the way FIFA wanted it to be, because it still had to be built. All finances had been secured, unlike the Netherlands where there wasn't even full governmental approval let alone a tight financial plan. I wouldn't have wanted to have it here; we're short on space as it is and I - and most regional governments with me - was never sure of any real and lasting benefits.

But hey, at least you've got London 2012.Having no infrastructure in place means there's a great risk of things not being ready. What if it all has to be rushed?

kristi
02-12-10, 19:25
I am surprised why they didn't choose the hosts for the 2054 Olympics. :o

TombOfRaiders
02-12-10, 19:27
I am surprised why they didn't choose the hosts for the 2054 Olympics. :o

Olympics? Don't you mean World Cup? :p

FloTheMachine
02-12-10, 19:40
I wish Netherlands got it :( But I'm not getting wound up about it :) It's just a sport :D

Punaxe
02-12-10, 20:07
(...) Having no infrastructure in place means there's a great risk of things not being ready. What if it all has to be rushed?

Well, you've seen what Poland and Ukraine got done with less time and most of all, less money. I don't think that'll be a problem. Also, it may just be a great chance for those few Russians that have a habit of beating up Uzbeks et cetera to learn to respect other cultures... Forcibly so, then, but it'd be a good thing.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 20:08
Another thing that should be pointed out is that all of the nations involved in the 2018 and 2022 bidding processes rank highly as far as freedom of the press is concerned, except Russia and Qatar. Both of those countries sit quite near the bottom.

http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2010,1034.html

No doubt part of the reason why Russia and Qatar were chosen is because the press in those countries are not free and thus wont be able to criticize the cesspool of corruption that is FIFA.

Alpharaider47
02-12-10, 20:57
Give the Ruskies a shot :p Maybe they'll surprise you!

I think Punaxe and Cat have some excellent points as well. It should be interesting :D

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 20:58
It'll go from interesting to disgusting when bananas start getting thrown at the African teams.

tampi
02-12-10, 20:58
I'm very disappointed too :(

Portugal-Spain had been a good choice.
We lost against Brazil in the Olympics and now this.

Well, Congratulations @Esconder :D:hug:

This is the beauty of having friends all over the world, can never be sad at all. :D

Alpharaider47
02-12-10, 21:00
It'll go from interesting to disgusting when bananas start getting thrown at the African teams.

You didn't mention the vuvuzelas :mis:

I'll wait and see how things go though :p Like I said, maybe things will surprise you and it will have been a great choice. Maybe these two nations will really rise to the challenge.

xb4b1x
02-12-10, 21:33
Two votes..lame :mad:

This is how it shouldve been:

2018-England
2022-US

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 21:51
Two votes..lame :mad:

This is how it shouldve been:

2018-England
2022-USI agree. However, I would've been perfectly fine with any of the other countries getting it, even South Korea or Japan, despite the fact that it was only in 2002 that they last hosted the World Cup.

Cochrane
02-12-10, 21:59
I didn’t follow all this much, but what do you guys think about the corruption scandal surrounding all this? If I had to guess who would be most likely to bribe their way in, Russian officials would definitely be near the top of my list.

As for who was most qualified, I think all countries would have been able to pull it off. It’s not that hard, it just takes a lot of money. Russia and Qatar are definitely unusual choices, but not as odd as they may seem. Both Russia and the middle east (counting Qatar as just qatar is obviously wrong, even if that is the only country where events are held) are important economic areas, which has been reflected in sports events. In motor sports, for example, we have the Bahrain Grand Prix, and a Russian Grand Prix is planned for 2014. Going there opens up a huge new market of viewers (and hence TV image rights) and sponsors, which is what sports are all about, after all.

Anything in europe, on the other hand, won’t do that. People in England won’t watch much more world cup if it’s in the UK than they will when it’s held in Russia, all things considered. The US might have been an exception, with the world cup sparking new interest in (true) football, but with the high-profile competition of baseball, basketball, neither-foot-nor-ball football and the like, the potential home market is far less interesting than the others.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 22:01
Do you not agree though Cochrane that somewhere like Russia is much more dangerous to go than England or the Netherlands?

Cochrane
02-12-10, 22:06
Not fully. At least russians know what side of the road to drive on. :D

Seriously, yes, you’re right. Of course it’s more dangerous. But that didn’t stop South Africa either. Ultimately, I think it does not matter that much. I would love to see numbers, but I have a feeling that most of the money made at the world cup comes:
a) From domestic fans.
b) From TV rights, sponsorships and the like.

Fans who travel all the way from home to support their team are a nice addition, but ultimately not what pays most of the bills. If it’s not dangerous enough to get you (or anyone else) to turn off the TV or stop buying World-Cup-branded stuff, the danger level is pretty much irrelevant.

Mad Tony
02-12-10, 22:12
What about atmosphere? South Africa was an absolute debacle in that department and surely you'd want the world cup to be in a country that is really fanatic about football?

TheRCroft
02-12-10, 22:24
I'm very disappointed too :(

Portugal-Spain had been a good choice.
We lost against Brazil in the Olympics and now this.

Agreed :tmb: :D Although I don't know if this gathering of Portugal and Spain would work, I would really loved if they were the winners. Anyway, congratulations to Russia and Qatar, I prefer wait for the 2018 and 2022 to make any judgment.

Love2Raid
02-12-10, 23:33
Awwwwwww, man! There goes my chance to attend a World Cup match anytime soon! :(:(:(:(

Iīm not happy, but Iīm not a sore loser either. Congrats to Russia and Qatar! :tmb:

I have no doubt that they will be great hosts.

Cochrane
02-12-10, 23:56
What about atmosphere? South Africa was an absolute debacle in that department and surely you'd want the world cup to be in a country that is really fanatic about football?

What does atmosphere buy you? How much money did FIFA loose because less people were watching because they were annoyed by Vuvuzelas? I doubt it was all that much.

I am not saying that this is a good decision for fans or players. There were a lot of decisions in recent world cups that went pretty much against the interests of all fans. But world class football like the world cup is not made for the fans, itís made for money, and I do think that the decision makes a lot of sense coming from that direction.

I am also not saying that I personally like (or dislike) this decision. I donít really care about football as a game; I am just interested in the economy and corruption behind it (which is why I am posting in this thread).

By the way, are we sure that Russia and Qatar are not fanatic about football? I wouldnít have thought Japan and Korea were either, but if you recall the 2002 world cup, apparently they were. Not having any world class players/teams does not make a country uninterested either, as the continent of Africa shows. Catapharact showed that Qatar does have a non-neglibible interest, and Iíd very surprised if this wasnít the case for Russia as well.

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 00:31
I never said Russia didn't have an interest in football, as I expect they do. It's mainly Qatar I'm worried about there, mainly because the population of the country is about half that of the city my favorite team (Aston Villa) come from. They've never even qualified for a World Cup before either, and when it comes to football Asia is pretty poor so it's not like they face tough opposition in qualifiers.

As for Russia, there are just too many problems. Hooliganism, corruption and racism are the main ones that come to mind. Sure every country has them but they're all much worse in Russia.

IceColdLaraCroft
03-12-10, 00:32
YAY for Qatar!

Lemmie
03-12-10, 00:33
How nice for them.

The Great Chi
03-12-10, 00:43
Hey its only football, and you do have the Olympics in London in 2012 :tmb:

That's when we will have the alien attack over the Olympics opening cermony... you heard it here first... sorry, I think David Icke mentioned it on his conspircy site a while back, or on a Doctor Who episode :p

Johnnay
03-12-10, 00:47
Another thing that should be pointed out is that all of the nations involved in the 2018 and 2022 bidding processes rank highly as far as freedom of the press is concerned, except Russia and Qatar. Both of those countries sit quite near the bottom.

http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2010,1034.html

No doubt part of the reason why Russia and Qatar were chosen is because the press in those countries are not free and thus wont be able to criticize the cesspool of corruption that is FIFA.

Russia is a favourite while Qatar possibly would have been in the middle. And I dont think the reason why they got it is because of corruption.

Do you not agree though Cochrane that somewhere like Russia is much more dangerous to go than England or the Netherlands?

Russia is a mafia state as quoted by wikileaks. And I hear non slavs get targeted by hooligans there and dont forget the Chechen terriorists too. So yep:)

scoopy_loopy
03-12-10, 01:11
Australia lobbied hard for 2022, I thought it would have been pretty awesome if it paid off. :(

Alpharaider47
03-12-10, 01:19
Russia is a mafia state as quoted by wikileaks. And I hear non slavs get targeted by hooligans there and dont forget the Chechen terriorists too. So yep:)

You gotta take wikileaks with a grain of salt though. Besides, we've got what 8 years? We'll see what Russia's like then :p

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 01:25
Australia lobbied hard for 2022, I thought it would have been pretty awesome if it paid off. :(Would have loved to see Australia get it. Australia however don't really have any massive problems hence why they didn't get a look in.

Paddy
03-12-10, 01:33
Im happy Australia didnt get it in a lot of ways. Have tried watching the soccer world cup in the past, but like soccer I just got bored of it in general.

trXD
03-12-10, 01:34
I actually had my jaw hanging open in disbelief as I watched BBC news today, people care sooo much! Am I missing something or is it just where the world cup is going to be held?

Football isn't really my thing, but I don't criticise fans passion of it usually, because there is nothing wrong with it until stuff like this goes on.

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 01:36
I actually had my jaw hanging open in disbelief as I watched BBC news today, people care sooo much! Am I missing something or is it just where the world cup is going to be held?

Football isn't really my thing, but I don't criticise fans passion of it usually, because there is nothing wrong with it until stuff like this goes on.Stuff like what? :confused:

jjbennett
03-12-10, 01:38
The bids are done on a more political slant than a football one Tony, a developing country will put a bid in as it gets them on the map so to speak. For FIFA to even consider them they'd have to have a lot of good qualities, that in the time leading up to the next World Cup, can be built upon, creating new facilities etc. Personally, i think hosting it in Qatar and Russia will be not only good for the countries involved but also for football as a whole, we should get some amazing games, especially depending on where the stadiums are in Russia...snow games!

patriots88888
03-12-10, 01:39
Boohoo for you!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_EOdPxkPqlQA/SHb5ODfLLLI/AAAAAAAAAfA/_ctwh9y5E50/s400/grapes.jpg

trXD
03-12-10, 01:41
Stuff like what? :confused:
Nothing terrible has happened, no riots or anything crazy (to the best of my knowledge).

But I'm just saying I don't think people should care so much, people come up with huge ideas of some kind of massive injustice that has happened, it's just weird to see and can get pretty rediculous at times. It's like a primary school where the kids are falling out with each other because of petty things, its just no good for anybody.

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 01:42
The bids are done on a more political slant than a football one Tony, a developing country will put a bid in as it gets them on the map so to speak. For FIFA to even consider them they'd have to have a lot of good qualities, that in the time leading up to the next World Cup, can be built upon, creating new facilities etc. Personally, i think hosting it in Qatar and Russia will be not only good for the countries involved but also for football as a whole, we should get some amazing games, especially depending on where the stadiums are in Russia...snow games!Oh I know it's done on a political slant. However, it shouldn't be.

I doubt the world cups will drastically improve the countries involved and while it may be good for the countries hosting it will not be good for football. Hosting the World Cup in Qatar is like hosting the Olympics in Kathmandu.

Nothing terrible has happened, no riots or anything crazy (to the best of my knowledge).

But I'm just saying I don't think people should care so much, people come up with huge ideas of some kind of massive injustice that has happened, it's just weird to see and can get pretty rediculous at times. It's like a primary school where the kids are falling out with each other because of petty things, its just no good for anybody.It's bad for a country to be hyped up about hosting a major sporting event?

I can tell you're not a football fan because the last thing fans should do is just there and take this from FIFA. FIFA need exposing as they are blatantly corrupt. You seem annoyed at the fact that people are angry that the governing body of the national sport is corrupt. If you don't care fair enough, just don't start going round talking down at people for caring.

jjbennett
03-12-10, 01:45
No, agreed, there's never a massive change, but it does help none the less. How do you see it being bad for football?

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 01:49
No, agreed, there's never a massive change, but it does help none the less. How do you see it being bad for football?Russia - lots of issues with corruption, hooliganism and racism as I mentioned earlier. Also don't have any kind of infrastructure or stadia in place.

Qatar - Really insignificant in the footballing world, horrible climate (for football) and human rights issues.

Boohoo for you!Any point in that? I always thought you were quite a sensible and mature poster so this is quite a surprise to me unless I'm missing something. :confused:

trXD
03-12-10, 01:50
It's bad for a country to be hyped up about hosting a major sporting event?

I can tell you're not a football fan because the last thing fans should do is just there and take this from FIFA. FIFA need exposing as they are blatantly corrupt. You seem annoyed at the fact that people are angry that the governing body of the national sport is corrupt. If you don't care fair enough, just don't start going round talking down at people for caring.

Woah woah woah, that's not what I'm saying.

Like I have already said, I think its great that they are passionate, but I just think it's silly they are taking the dissapointment so hard, it's not very grown up. That's pretty much my entire point, and I'm not annoyed as much as weirded out.

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 01:57
Woah woah woah, that's not what I'm saying.

Like I have already said, I think its great that they are passionate, but I just think it's silly they are taking the dissapointment so hard, it's not very grown up. That's pretty much my entire point, and I'm not annoyed as much as weirded out.I don't think you understand where a lot of this disappointment is coming from. It's not because England didn't win, it's who got the nod over England, and also who got picked for the 2022 World Cup (England weren't involved in that).

If Spain/Portugal or Belgium/Netherlands had won I can bet there wouldn't be half as much of an outrage as there is now. Also, England only got two votes (one of the votes coming from an Englishman) which all seems rather odd after some of the things FIFA said like about how England are the only country that could host the World Cup tomorrow.

patriots88888
03-12-10, 02:05
I'm sorry, but this reminds me in some ways of the 2001 World Series. Anyone who wasn't a Diamondbacks fan thought it was an outrage that the Yankees lost and thought they deserved to win that year because of what had happened on 9/11. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way and happens to be one of the things I like about sports. The respective teams and players players don't give a flying **** what you think about it.

Just curious, what has been the participating teams/players reaction to all of this? I'm sure they have a voice in 'what is good for the sport', no?

trXD
03-12-10, 02:06
I don't think you understand where a lot of this disappointment is coming from. It's not because England didn't win, it's who got the nod over England, and also who got picked for the 2022 World Cup (England weren't involved in that).

If Spain/Portugal or Belgium/Netherlands had won I can bet there wouldn't be half as much of an outrage as there is now. Also, England only got two votes (one of the votes coming from an Englishman) which all seems rather odd after some of the things FIFA said like about how England are the only country that could host the World Cup tomorrow.

Actually, if FIFA said that, I can understand the outrage a little more. But what is so terrible about Russia holding it?

Catapharact
03-12-10, 02:10
I don't think you understand where a lot of this disappointment is coming from. It's not because England didn't win, it's who got the nod over England, and also who got picked for the 2022 World Cup (England weren't involved in that).

England? Where student riots can't be controlled by cops who aren't even allowed to carry guns? (And are even being manhandled for carrying tasers?) As compared to Qatar where a violent protest will be quashed down in mins. Security is air tight in that given nation.

Qatar also currently enjoys a good economic standing over England and can EASILY facilitate a world cup as compared to England which will just put itself in more debt over this venture. Same applies to Australia as well.

Logically, it makes all the more sense to have it in Qatar.

Forwen
03-12-10, 03:58
Saw the news while down at the pub... There was no audio, but Putin had his usual troll face on :]

jamieoliver22
03-12-10, 07:48
Oh noes!!!11!...

EscondeR
03-12-10, 07:54
I'm not gonna rise to the obvious trolling attempt...
Ha-ha... Funny. So ironic. Especially after this:
Russia - similar issues to South Africa with regards to things like security and corruption. Also, Russian is known for being quite racist, as far as football is concerned anyway. Poor infrastructure and facilities too in comparison to the other bids.

Have you been in any or both BTW? :mis:

And frankly speaking you've lost moral right to talk about racism with your first post in that thread.

Cochrane
03-12-10, 10:33
Would have loved to see Australia get it. Australia however don't really have any massive problems hence why they didn't get a look in.
Australia is small (in terms of population) and, for just about every football fan, really far away. Yes, Qatar is even smaller, but there is much of the entire arab region as possible customers and viewers.

Personally, Iíd have favored Belgium/Netherlands, just because I live next to these countries so it would be almost as having the world cup here. Itís annoying, but also fun at times. The Benelux area also has the advantage that it can be reached very easily from the UK, France and Germany, increasing the market potential (to some degree that goes for Spain/Portugal as well, of course, but itís not realistically possible to take a coach there from the UK or Germany). Ultimately, though, they apparently decided new viewers were more important.

England may be the only country (of the ones who submitted bids; we still have all those stadiums from 2006 standing aroundÖ) that can host a world cup tomorrow. But that was not what was asked for here.

Carbon
03-12-10, 10:43

They got that so that we can expand the football over the world!!!!, anyway, you guys have the olympics coming up.

Carbon
03-12-10, 10:46
England? Where student riots can't be controlled by cops who aren't even allowed to carry guns? (And are even being manhandled for carrying tasers?) As compared to Qatar where a violent protest will be quashed down in mins. Security is air tight in that given nation.

Qatar also currently enjoys a good economic standing over England and can EASILY facilitate a world cup as compared to England which will just put itself in more debt over this venture. Same applies to Australia as well.

Yea, and scotland have to help pay it off!:cen:

Phlip
03-12-10, 11:12
I've changed my mind, Im annoyed now. =/ We could have gotten so much out of this.

Avalon SARL
03-12-10, 11:20
That's very nice actually.
Wow, Hopefully when it happens in Qatar I will definitely be the first to buy a ticket :)

And what's this jubilee about being racist and have no human rights :mad:

So Allowing alcohol consumption gives you better records for human rights :confused:

:tmb: I am so happy for this

amore-guy
03-12-10, 11:44
This was never about sports (for some countries), Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$... $$$.. $..

Carbon
03-12-10, 11:47
This was never about sports (for some countries), Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$... $$$.. $..

yea, exactly

scoopy_loopy
03-12-10, 12:01

Australia more into debt? You know they grew economically and came through the GFC better than any European or English speaking country ... right?

Australia is small (in terms of population) and, for just about every football fan, really far away. Yes, Qatar is even smaller, but there is much of the entire arab region as possible customers and viewers.

Right... because distance stopped them from having it in South Africa? :pi:

tampi
03-12-10, 12:04
Cochrane sets the record straight in this thread.

Are doing to the sport as well as in the Crusades or religion throught the history.
Obviously everything has its impact.
Brazil and its capital, in particular, is being "cleansed." The Chavelas are no longer drug territory to become encouraging neighborhoods with healthy people.

Currently, they choose destinies of the greats sporting events in terms of expanding market needs.
That's it.

With all that that implies. Coke for everyone! http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5720/rockw.gif (http://img547.imageshack.us/i/rockw.gif/)

Cochrane
03-12-10, 12:16
Right... because distance stopped them from having it in South Africa? :pi:

South Africa is first of all in the same time zone as most of Europe, which is great for television. Just as or perhaps more importantly, the entire continent of Africa is very much into football and presents a huge potential market. Not all places are extremely poor, after all.

Australia, though? I just donít think that there is such a huge market for live TV transmission rights, merchandise, sponsorship and so on around as even in South Africa. I could be wrong, of course, but it seems as if FIFA thought more or less the same.

robwolf666
03-12-10, 12:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9250585.stm

The whole thing is disgraceful IMO.

Doubt many people on here will care but I know there are some sports fans around here.
Something else to thank the British press for.

Kind of glad we didn't get it though, we fall to pieces over a couple of inches of snow.

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 13:01
I'm sorry, but this reminds me in some ways of the 2001 World Series. Anyone who wasn't a Diamondbacks fan thought it was an outrage that the Yankees lost and thought they deserved to win that year because of what had happened on 9/11. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way and happens to be one of the things I like about sports. The respective teams and players players don't give a flying **** what you think about it.Read through the thread.

While I thought England should've won that's not what I'm angry about. I would've been perfectly fine with Belgium/Netherlands or Spain/Portugal hosting because they're much more suitable places to hold a World Cup. I'm also angry about FIFA's corruption (and don't even try and deny they're not corrupt).

Just curious, what has been the participating teams/players reaction to all of this? I'm sure they have a voice in 'what is good for the sport', no?All disappointed but some have come out and criticized FIFA's corruption.

For example, the England 2018 bid chief executive said he thinks the voting process needs to be reformed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9253733.stm

But what is so terrible about Russia holding it?I've been through this about 5 times in the thread.

England? Where student riots can't be controlled by cops who aren't even allowed to carry guns? (And are even being manhandled for carrying tasers?) As compared to Qatar where a violent protest will be quashed down in mins. Security is air tight in that given nation.My security concerns are not over Qatar and to be fair to the police here, they've been pretty good at controlling the students riots bar the first one.

Qatar also currently enjoys a good economic standing over England and can EASILY facilitate a world cup as compared to England which will just put itself in more debt over this venture. Same applies to Australia as well.I doubt England would get into debt over this. We'd easily make that money back because we wouldn't have had to build much. The stadiums and infrastructure are already here.

And frankly speaking you've lost moral right to talk about racism with your first post in that thread.Where was I racist? :confused:

Australia is small (in terms of population) and, for just about every football fan, really far away. Yes, Qatar is even smaller, but there is much of the entire arab region as possible customers and viewers.I dont see what was wrong with Australia's bid. They have a proven track record of hosting major sporting events (Sydney Olympics). Plus, people want to go to Australia. IIRC it's one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. As a football fan who knows lots of other football fans I can tell you they'd much rather go to Australia than Qatar.

Or what about the USA? FIFA go on about how they want to expand the game yet they don't give it to USA which is a massive potential market due to the rapidly growing interest in football (soccer) over there.

ShadyCroft
03-12-10, 13:06
Interesting ! I was surprised to hear that Qatar got it, mainly because when you hear the word "Qatar", you quickly associate it with heat and deserts and what not, facilities that may not be up to hosting the world cup, but I dont know much about Qatar and have never been there so I cannot judge.

and anyways, I really cant feel or take this issue on a personal level. England may be a better host, yes, but Qatar got it and let them have a chance at it, thats fine...I dont think twice of it.

Mad Tony
03-12-10, 13:08
and anyways, I really cant feel or take this issue on a personal level. England may be a better host, yes, but Qatar got it and let them have a chance at it, thats fine...I dont think twice of it.The problem is the World Cup should be awarded to the best hosts (whoever that may be) otherwise what's the point of a bidding process?

By the way, England were bidding for 2018 where as Qatar were bidding for 2022. :)

TR FAN 18
03-12-10, 13:10
LOL @ the Google suggestions when typing "fifa is "

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4363/fifais.png

:vlol: