PDA

View Full Version : The Tomb Raider Forums Book Club

Catracoth
05-12-10, 04:00
The Tomb Raider Forums Book Club
http://i54.************/339io8p.png

I thought it would be interesting to open up a thread that's strictly dedicated to the vast worlds of literature; and no, this won't be a book club where we pick a random book, read it, and discuss it like a church group. It's just a place for us bookworms to come and cluck like hens on the latest novel we couldn't put down, give some fellow readers some suggestions, or receive suggestions ourselves.

The TRF Book Club offers a handful of general discussion topics, as well as sub-topics that may branch out from the main topics, such as:

Authors
Genres
Favourite reads
Then and Now
Electronic Reading
Newspapers
Magazines

I'll get the discussion going with a light, friendly topic. We've all had experiences with novels that we just couldn't put down until we finished it, and nearly had a fit of anxiety when it ended. I just finished The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd, and needless to say, it was so good, I almost threw the book in sadness when it ended.

What was the latest book you read, and were you unable to put it down until you finished it?

ajrich17901
05-12-10, 04:39
Well for me I just got done reading the Alan Wake Novel, loved it. Also Resident Evil city of the dead, I can read it over and over again.

freeze10108
06-12-10, 06:24
The last book I read was Things Fall Apart for English. I didn't really like it because it was written simply and rather uneventfully (from a European/an American perspective), and I think the ending could have had more meaning if Achebe had written it differently.

I'm currently working on Don Quixote (the Eidth Grossman translation) for a research project in English, and I'm going to couple it with The Once and Future King. They're both really funny, and very good novels. I'd recommend them a lot (but my Don Quixote recommendation isn't very valid yet because I haven't read very much of it... :o)

Also, for my own pleasure, I'm reading Like Water for Chocolate, which is quite good too, but you have to be open to magic realism (which I love). I'm not very far into this one either, but it's been pretty entertaining; we watched part of the movie in Spanish class, so I really want to put aside some time to read some more of it, but it's a little hard to do right now... :(

Ikas90
06-12-10, 07:14
Right now I'm still reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's a fantastic book, and means a lot to me. It's a book that I'm living my life according to.

It's basically a fable about achieving your dreams. Through this book, I can see things that other people commonly discard. Other people might only see it as an inspirational story, but I see it as a method of life. It sums up my outlook on what we should do with our lives to achieve our sense of enlightenment.

It gives you an insight on how you can be aware of your personal goal in life, and how you can follow the path to it, despite being told by society that your dreams are impossible.

It represents everything that I stand up for, and everything that I believe in.