PDA

View Full Version : After playing all Tomb Raider Games...

RocketJet
05-12-10, 05:09
After playing and beating all Tomb Raider Games, I have come to several conclusions:

Best: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (Decent Story, Lengthy, all around good experience)
Most Fun: Tomb Raider Chronicles
Best Controls: Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3 Version)
Longest: Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Most Interesting: Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Most Frustrating/Annoying: Tomb Raider III
Most Replayable: TOmb Raider Chronicles
Shortest: Tomb Raider Legend
Most Disappointing: Tomb Raider Legend (why?, it was so short and without a compelling or original story)

Biased? Maybe a little. Chronicles was my first so it is most special for me. What can I say, I think Core did it better. They just started AOD off so bad and lost the vast majority of those who played it and didnt reward the rest until much later. It was the most original of all, yet the controls were jarring at times. Tomb Raider I-III felt the same to me, just a series of episodes. IV felt like a full and enjoyable game. To developers V was an afterthought yet it is my personal favorite. Chrystal is the opposite. They hav excelent controls, yet their games are short and flavorless. They lost the shock and awe feel that the originals captures, especially dor thjeir time. Legend was far too short, Anniversay was good but something felt missing, and Underworld was fun while playing it, but had such a horrible ending that it felt less complete than AOD! THey should have just kept the ending where Lara shoots Amanda-curtain! WHat was wrong with that? She was a weak character whose ager towards lara was never justified and even if the develeopers thought it was...they took it way too far. To me, bringing natla back as the main villain was just milking the original but in such an obvious way. AND THEN TOBY GETS ALL THE CREDIT!! He refused to work with others becaue he didnt get what he wanted at the time. So then when it was convenient, he came back and (reinvented) the franchise. Honestly, how many times must they do this. If they want to be original...they should BE ORIGINAL. Have a story excluding her family or Natla. THey can come up with something else. THey need to get their act together as the modern audience is beginning to lose interest in playing the same games over and over again. Make them more than 6 hours for crying out loud!! The next one better be 20+!!

scremanie
05-12-10, 06:10
Nice. I like list. :)

Ward Dragon
05-12-10, 06:23
Interesting analysis :) The only thing that I really don't understand is how could AOD be the longest game? I found TR4 to be significantly longer. I guess game length can differ according to play style but I still find it hard to understand how TR4 isn't the longest because there was just so much of it :p

Carbon
05-12-10, 08:58
isn't AoD the most repayable because of its multiple routes?

lord gaga
05-12-10, 09:42
Interesting analysis :) The only thing that I really don't understand is how could AOD be the longest game? I found TR4 to be significantly longer. I guess game length can differ according to play style but I still find it hard to understand how TR4 isn't the longest because there was just so much of it :p
I must agree with ward dragon here by saying TR4 was preety long! But AOD is second in my book mostly because of how much you can explore!

isn't AoD the most repayable because of its multiple routes?

I think it's most replayable next to TR5 and i'm replaying both right now:jmp:

:.Dan King:.
05-12-10, 10:03
Mine at present! :)

Best: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (Decent Story, Lengthy, all around good experience)
Best Controls: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (consoles version)
Longest: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Most Interesting: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Most Frustrating/Annoying: Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
Most Replayable: can't choose between "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend" and "Tomb Raider Chronicles"
Most ambigous: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary (great locations, good graphics, Interesting story, dumb Lara and it's not a perfect remake).
Most Disappointing: Tomb Raider Underworld (why? Some locations are amazing, some others suck on ass. Lara is dumb. Dumber than the one in TR: Anniversary)

lord gaga
05-12-10, 10:19
^ mine is that EXACT list! Only one thing is that i like the anniversary control a little more only because you can jump from a pole faster than legend.

cezy rockeru
05-12-10, 12:01
nice list !:D

I like you said "Most Interesting: Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness" :p

RocketJet
05-12-10, 17:00
Well, I just mean by most interesting it was most original. it had the most compelling story yet worst controls of the series. I know it probobly wont happen, but I want them to re-release it on ps3 witht eh underworld engine while expanding on the story. I actually liked where it was going to tell the truth. People didnt like it because it threw out the original formula. I actually was fine with that. We had that in the first 4 games! idk...i felt so uninspired by underworld...idk

Mytly
05-12-10, 18:57
Since this thread is about all the games, it belongs in General Chat. :) Moving ...

peeves
06-12-10, 11:39
Here's my list:

Best: Tomb Raider 3
Most Fun: Tomb Raider 3
Best Controls: Tomb Raider 1 thru 5
Longest: Tomb Raider 4
Most Interesting: Tomb Raider 3
Most Frustrating/Annoying: Tomb Raider 1
Most Replayable: Tomb Raider 3
Most ambigous: Tomb Raider 5
Most Disappointing: Tomb Raider Legend (Why? Because it was too goddamn short and easy)

cezy rockeru
06-12-10, 13:44
Mine is:

Best: TRAOD
Most Fun: TRA
Best Controls: TRA
Longest: TRAOD
Most Interesting: TR4
Most Frustrating/Annoying: TRU
Most Replayable: TRAOD
Shortest: TRL for sure
Most ambigous: TR3
Most Disappointing: TRL [too cheap/short/disappointing]

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-12-10, 13:50
Sorry but it's hard to take a list seriously which ignores the original on all accounts.

Eddie Haskell
06-12-10, 13:58
Sorry but it's hard to take a list seriously which ignores the original on all accounts.

It is also impossible to place an individual back to 1996 as well. The original classic is one of the greatest games ever made then and now, but the magical nature of it was best noticed and appreciated way back when. As an old (I was 37), very seasoned gamer in '96 I was blown away by the game on every level. This same experience is not possible for a gamer of today playing the game, but it can still be appreciated for it's game play, level design, unparalleled atmosphere and historical significance, but the magic cannot be manufactured in the mind of a young, modern gamer. It is similar to when I watch old horror movies with my nieces and nephews, they do not see them anything like I do.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-12-10, 14:10
It is also impossible to place an individual back to 1996 as well. The original classic is one of the greatest games ever made then and now, but the magical nature of it was best noticed and appreciated way back when. As an old (I was 37), very seasoned gamer in '96 I was blown away by the game on every level. This same experience is not possible for a gamer of today playing the game, but it can still be appreciated for it's game play, level design, unparalleled atmosphere and historical significance, but the magic cannot be manufactured in the mind of a young, modern gamer. It is similar to when I watch old horror movies with my nieces and nephews, they do not see them anything like I do.

It's a shame, isn't it? :)

peeves
06-12-10, 16:11

It's a shame, isn't it? :)

You're missing all the fun on TR2-4 because those were good classics too TR5 and 6 were ok. At least you like TR1.

robwolf666
06-12-10, 16:21

I'm having one those Blaze Bayley is better than Bruce Dickinson moments about your choices here...

While I respect the opinion, I'm absolutely baffled by it.

Blackmoor
07-12-10, 20:59
After playing and beating all Tomb Raider Games, I have come to several conclusions:

Best Controls: Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3 Version)
Longest: Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Most Disappointing: Tomb Raider Legend (why?, it was so short and without a compelling or original story)

Biased? Maybe a little. Chronicles was my first so it is most special for me. What can I say, I think Core did it better. They just started AOD off so bad and lost the vast majority of those who played it and didnt reward the rest until much later. It was the most original of all, yet the controls were jarring at times. Tomb Raider I-III felt the same to me, just a series of episodes. IV felt like a full and enjoyable game. To developers V was an afterthought yet it is my personal favorite. Chrystal is the opposite. They hav excelent controls, yet their games are short and flavorless. They lost the shock and awe feel that the originals captures, especially dor thjeir time. Legend was far too short, Anniversay was good but something felt missing, and Underworld was fun while playing it, but had such a horrible ending that it felt less complete than AOD! THey should have just kept the ending where Lara shoots Amanda-curtain! WHat was wrong with that? She was a weak character whose ager towards lara was never justified and even if the develeopers thought it was...they took it way too far. To me, bringing natla back as the main villain was just milking the original but in such an obvious way. AND THEN TOBY GETS ALL THE CREDIT!! He refused to work with others becaue he didnt get what he wanted at the time. So then when it was convenient, he came back and (reinvented) the franchise. Honestly, how many times must they do this. If they want to be original...they should BE ORIGINAL. Have a story excluding her family or Natla. THey can come up with something else. THey need to get their act together as the modern audience is beginning to lose interest in playing the same games over and over again. Make them more than 6 hours for crying out loud!! The next one better be 20+!!Like your summary, have to agree with a lot of it, although following the glimpses of the next TR, I feel quite hopeful that they are going to completely change things.

Interesting isn't it which game you play first and how it influences your perception of the other games. I played TR1 as the first game, and am not mad keen on TR5 really even though I am Core style TR fan.

I have to agree though that the most disappointing TR is Legend.

peeves
07-12-10, 22:06
Like your summary, have to agree with a lot of it, although following the glimpses of the next TR, I feel quite hopeful that they are going to completely change things.

Interesting isn't it which game you play first and how it influences your perception of the other games. I played TR1 as the first game, and am not mad keen on TR5 really even though I am Core style TR fan.

I have to agree though that the most disappointing TR is Legend.

I agree with you because I'm not too keen on TR5 and AOD because those classics were the shortest and easiest ones in fact they weren't even challenging without using medi packs and getting all secrets no cheatcodes they both were pretty easy especially AOD because the AI sucks in that game. The only real TR classics to me was TR1, 2, 3, and 4. And i also agree with you that Legend is the most disappointing TR game along with Underworld.

Mikky
07-12-10, 22:22
Legend didn't have a compelling and original story?!!?!?!?!?! Were you passed out while you were playing or something?!?!?!?!?! I'm sorry, but that's a stupid thing to say. TRL's story was fantastic and one of the best I've seen in a game. It was emotional and deep! :D

peeves
07-12-10, 22:25
Legend didn't have a compelling and original story?!!?!?!?!?! Were you passed out while you were playing or something?!?!?!?!?! I'm sorry, but that's a stupid thing to say. TRL's story was fantastic and one of the best I've seen in a game. It was emotional and deep! :D

TRL wasn't emotional nor dark TBH well at least not for me. TRL's story was stupid.

Squibbly
07-12-10, 22:26

Agree with you there. AoD took me about 13 hours to complete the first time, whereas TR4 took me 23 hours. Even replaying TR4 and knowing what to do, it still felt longer than all the others.

igonge
07-12-10, 22:28
I like your list RocketJet, I like it a lot.

Except the longest game, for me it was TRL. It took me forever to finish it, I only recently finished it lol. It's my favourite.

peeves
07-12-10, 22:28
Agree with you there. AoD took me about 13 hours to complete the first time, whereas TR4 took me 23 hours. Even replaying TR4 and knowing what to do, it still felt longer than all the others.

AOD was so much shorter than TR4 because the levels in AOD were so short it's the 2nd shortest TR Classic even shorter than TR1. It didn't even take me 5 hours to beat.

Squibbly
07-12-10, 22:31
^ Really? I always felt Chronicles was the shortest pre-Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider game.

Lara Croft!
07-12-10, 22:33
Nice list, RocketJet but where is TR2?? :yik:

peeves
07-12-10, 22:33
^ Really? I always felt Chronicles was the shortest pre-Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider game.

I said 2nd shortest for AOD not shortest, Chronicles was the shortest Classic TR game indeed.

Squibbly
07-12-10, 22:34
I said 2nd shortest for AOD not shortest, Chronicles was the shortest Classic TR game indeed.

Oh sorry, I see that now. I misread. :o

Tonyrobinson
07-12-10, 22:37
Best: Tomb Raider 3
Most Fun: Tomb Raider 3
Best Controls: Tomb Raider
Longest: Tomb Raider 4
Most Interesting: Tomb Raider 3
Most Frustrating/Annoying: Angel of Darkness
Most Replayable: Tomb Raider Legend
Most Disappointing: Tomb Raider Anniversay (More of a re-imagining than remake)

TRLegendLuver
08-12-10, 00:08
☆ Best: Tomb Raider II
- Tomb Raider II in my book, should earn the title of the best game in the Tomb Raider series. It was fun and exciting, challenging and I loved Lara's attitude. It has the most array of areas. Underwater, Tibetan Mountains, Temples, Cities like Venice and Bartoli's Hideout, The Great Wall (twice!) and even unique levels like the Floating Islands and the Offshore Rig. The mansion was great and we even got to play an actual level in it that only with your experience that you could survive it. The best by far!

☆ Most Fun: Tomb Raider II
- Once again, big emphasis on the challenge of the game. I already claimed it "Best" but I cannot honestly think of a more fun game that Tomb Raider II. Some other ones come close, but II takes the cake. I love Lara's voice and how she put up with no crap. The exploration in finding treasures was delightful and was great getting vehicles in the game for the first time.

☆ Best Controls: Tomb Raider: Underworld
- I found the controls in Tomb Raider: Underworld, simple, easy and to the point. I didn't have the choppy controls that were in the classics, but then again, they are older games.

☆ Longest: Tomb Raider III
- Tomb Raider III took me the longest time. Tomb Raider IV came close to earning this rank but in the end it was Tomb Raider III that was longer for me. Tons of puzzles, and lots of exploration.

☆ Most Interesting: Tomb Raider
- Not to be cliche, but I personally found the first game in the series, the most interesting. There were many things that created the story: Lara's personality, the theme of it all, and I think the first game has to be the most interesting in general. Otherwise, why continue the game and have it still going in 2010 (almost 2011)?

☆ Most Replayable: Tomb Raider: Legend
- The game may be short and not the most original one, but I really loved the cintematics and the bike chases. It always had me hooked in. I also loved the conversations between Zip, Alister and Lara herself. It was Tomb Raider: Legend that really brought out the best out of TR on the Playstation 2 console.

Most Frustrating/Annoying: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
- A lot of people has this one as the best, but I found the game extremely tedious and irritating. If you missed one thing about four levels ago, you'd pretty much have to replay the entire game and get whatever you missed. The story was okay, it was mainly the time it took to do small things.

Shortest: Tomb Raider: Chronicles
- Now Legend is close to this rank but I could easily beat Chronicles. I only put Chronicles in this rank, mainly because of the story. You take out all their "in-game cutscenes" and I'm done.

Most Disappointing: Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
- While this game had some good points, the bad out weighed the good. The controls were terrible. Glitching almost constantly. You could hardly do anything and most of the the time Lara, was continuely saying, "she wasn't strong enough". It became very annoying and ruined the game. The game had almost no tombs. For a huge half of the game, you were playing more dectective than anything, constantly asking people about someone or another. When it came time to play as another character, it wasn't much better. The story was a bit too dark. I didn't find a man using a supernatural power, impaling his hand into another man and blood splattering all over the wall very interesting or fascinating. It was gory and unneccesary. Nothing like that happened in the first five games, so why start? To make it worse they were working with a much better console than before, yet failed still. I think if more thought had been put into the game it would of been better. Lara had almost constant smart-ass remarks and I was usually yelling at her to move her butt along and do some actual tomb raiding.

That's my list. Don't judge. I didn't judge yours.

Drone
08-12-10, 06:14
@ OP kickass list. I agree :tmb:

Plus I'll add that TR1 has the best TR feeling maybe because it was the first.
TR4 is the longest. AOD is the most interesting with fantastic story and level design. And I have love/hate feelings about Chronicles. Really buggy but really fun. Legend is short but replayable. TRU is most disappointing. TR2 is pure fun. TR3 was frustrating.