PDA

View Full Version : Religous holidays.

lord gaga
06-12-10, 00:35
Hey guys and gals of the forums. I would like to talk about religous holidays as christmas is coming up. I feel as if the children are forgeting what the true meaning of these holidays mean. I mean look at what they think of it now.

Christmas:
Really about the birth of jesus and how happy this day is supposed to be to us we give each other gifts to represent the 3 wise men's gifts of happiness. Now it's about santa clause giving gifts to good kids and giving coal to bad one.:(

Easter:
The death of jesus and how we should really look at it as a good thing as he saved us from sin. Now it somehow turned into a big rabbit hiding eggs all over the place. Now how did that happen?:mad:

Even halloween which was about warding off evil spirts by dressing even more grusome turned into kids getting candy by wearing clown outfits.

Now really i think we are losing the true meaning of these holidays and wonder is there are anyone else out here that feel this was. Sorry if you do not conform to christianty and feel offened by this thread.

Trigger_happy
06-12-10, 00:47
All public holidays change meanings. However, I don't think Christmas is now entirely about presents. If you only ever watched telly ads, then you might think that, but now its about bringing family together and spending the whole day having fun. The presents are nice, but now I'm at an age where playing with my presents isn't possible on the day, and I think I look forward to Christmas even more. Its a time of not having to work, of being free from responsibility, or meeting family and having laid back fun.

disapearing-boy
06-12-10, 00:51
I don't feel offended, it's a valid discussion.:) Although halloween was never a christian festival. It was a pagan ritual practised by the Celts who believed the gateway to the underworld/after life would open. So they'd sacrifice some cows and burn their bodies as a sacrifice to appease the spirits and wear masks scare them away. So I would personally choose candy over burning dead animals any day, so at least that tradition improved! Now we just burn wood and tyres (and the occasional cat:()..

I never understood the whole easter bunny thing, it's not really used in Ireland. No-one hides easter eggs here, but we do eat them. I agree that these holidays have lost their meaning and are completely commercial nowadays. I'm not really religious but I sympathise and can understand your frustration.

Although wikipedia says
'The egg is widely used as a symbol of the start of new life, just as new life emerges from an egg when the chick hatches out'

So it was a pagan symbol but it did fit the Christian beliefs of the resurrection, so I guess they kept it after converting. The chocolate bit was obviously just someone trying to make money. It worked:/

Lara's home
06-12-10, 00:52
Well, I wouldn't mind getting gold for christmas either.

larafan25
06-12-10, 00:54

Same.:cool:

I also wouldn't mind being treated as the son of God.

Squibbly
06-12-10, 00:58
Most religious people I know celebrate the holidays you mentioned for the Christian reasons you mentioned (except Halloween - the families I know either don't celebrate that at all or dress up and go trick-or-treating).

Non-religious people or those not strict about it do not celebrate these holidays for the religious purpose of them, obviously. What's the issue? I wouldn't say kids are "forgetting the meanings". Rather, kids are celebrating these holidays in ways they were raised to.

Chocola teapot
06-12-10, 01:01
I love the holidays, They truly make life.

http://i55.************/qxj37p.jpg

Legend of Lara
06-12-10, 01:05

Be prepared to toss around some small bombs for that to happen.

oocladableeblah
06-12-10, 01:10
I don't see anything bad about the meaning of holidays changing. All religions have similarities.
For Christmas not celebrating the day because of Jesus isn't bad not everyone believes in that, but they might find something about Christmas like the family getting together nice and thus they incorporate it into their beliefs. Things change through time.

Lara's home
06-12-10, 01:12
Be prepared to toss around some small bombs for that to happen.

I actually think you're on to something.. I see, now..

It was Jewatrice, all along.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs343.snc4/41576_307116503266_7358_n.jpg

scoopy_loopy
06-12-10, 02:38
Hey guys and gals of the forums. I would like to talk about religous holidays as christmas is coming up. I feel as if the children are forgeting what the true meaning of these holidays mean. I mean look at what they think of it now.

Christmas:
Really about the birth of jesus and how happy this day is supposed to be to us we give each other gifts to represent the 3 wise men's gifts of happiness. Now it's about santa clause giving gifts to good kids and giving coal to bad one.:(

Easter:
The death of jesus and how we should really look at it as a good thing as he saved us from sin. Now it somehow turned into a big rabbit hiding eggs all over the place. Now how did that happen?:mad:

Even halloween which was about warding off evil spirts by dressing even more grusome turned into kids getting candy by wearing clown outfits.

Now really i think we are losing the true meaning of these holidays and wonder is there are anyone else out here that feel this was. Sorry if you do not conform to christianty and feel offened by this thread.

They're both just adpated from pre-Christian dominance Pagan holidays, so why give a hoot what they're REALLY meant to 'represent'? Enjoy them in the spirit they were intended, family, love, selflessness & giving, blah blah blah & stop worrying about what other people are doing so much.

Uzi master
06-12-10, 02:53
well, if christmas wasn't so commercialized I wouldnt celebrate it...

"waits for mad tony's comment" :whi:

Croftizzle
06-12-10, 02:53
The title of the thread is "religous holidays" and you don't mention Hannukah or Kwanzaa? If I was an alien, I would get the impression that these are the only ones....

QiX
06-12-10, 03:11

Christmas:

Easter:

So I was taught when I was a kid, but for all effects Christmas meaned toys, Easter meaned chocolate and Halloween was never celebrated in my country. And if you reasearch a little deeper most christian holydays were originally pagan festivities, Christmas meaning the winter solstice and Easter the jewish Pesach millenia before Christ was born. After all I think the meaning to anything is what you make of it, and it's not the same to everyone.

Trigger_happy
06-12-10, 10:54
The title of the thread is "religous holidays" and you don't mention Hannukah or Kwanzaa? If I was an alien, I would get the impression that these are the only ones....

What's Kwanzaa? I thought Futurama made it up as a joke?

Admles
06-12-10, 11:16
They're both just adpated from pre-Christian dominance Pagan holidays, so why give a hoot what they're REALLY meant to 'represent'? Enjoy them in the spirit they were intended, family, love, selflessness & giving, blah blah blah & stop worrying about what other people are doing so much.

This. Go Josh!

End of thread.

lord gaga
06-12-10, 16:48

Sorry but being a christian i won't know what they do. Sorry if i offened you!:(

Dark Lugia 2
06-12-10, 17:06
What's Kwanzaa? I thought Futurama made it up as a joke?

Noo lol! wikipedia it :p I think its an African celebration of harvest simmilar to Thanksgiving.

Mad Tony
06-12-10, 17:10
well, if christmas wasn't so commercialized I wouldnt celebrate it...

"waits for mad tony's comment" :whi:Umm, what is there to comment on? :confused:

In fact, the only reason why I'm typing this out is because of your bit at the end.

Twilight
07-12-10, 02:42
christians took the concept of christmas from the germans who celebrated the winter solstice with a pine tree, the yule log, etc.
so christmas isn't religious at all, it's celebrating the winter solstice.