PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Fraud Cartoon Display Pictures!

larafan25
06-12-10, 00:20
Recently everyone has had their profile pictures on facebook as cartoons, apparently to raise awareness of child violence, but apparently it was done by a group of Peadophiles or something, my sister said she saw it on the news. O.O

Anyone know about this!?

Fallen.Angel
06-12-10, 00:22
I hope that's not true... :mad::( I have the Lion King for my profile pic.

larafan25
06-12-10, 00:23
I hope that's not true... :mad::( I have the Lion King for my profile pic.

I'm not sure, my sister just sent me a message though.:/

trlestew
06-12-10, 00:24
Recently everyone has had their profile pictures on facebook as cartoons, apparently to raise awareness of child violence, but apparently it was done by a group of Peadophiles or something, my sister said she saw it on the news. O.O

Anyone know about this!?

That ****es me off because I changed my profile pic for nothing but creeps :mad:

*Changes it back*

Phlip
06-12-10, 00:25
*changes back*

Fallen.Angel
06-12-10, 00:25
Well, like LaraFan has stated, their sister just sent them a message, so who knows if this is true or not. I really hope it's not, that'd be a dirty thing to do. =/

Phlip
06-12-10, 00:27
Well, like LaraFan has stated, their sister just sent them a message, so who knows if this is true or not. I really hope it's not, that'd be a dirty thing to do. =/

I heard about this from someone else.

Tony9595
06-12-10, 00:28
LOL we did that last weekend, it surprised me to see the rest of the world doing it this one. -_______-

And even so, I didn't put any cartoon related picture, just one of the super amazing annoying orange!

Spong
06-12-10, 00:29
Facebook. LOL.

Tony9595
06-12-10, 00:30
^ lol spongy wants a facebook

Catapharact
06-12-10, 00:30
Calm down people. It ain't true.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20024583-10391698.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campaign-To-End-Violence-Against-Children-Childhood-Cartoon-Faces/165381953497707

Its untrue.

TheRCroft
06-12-10, 00:31
No, that's not true, as far as I know. At least in my country, it was the idea of a journalist to "awaken the child within us", but I'm not sure about that theory, I never heard of it before :o

Legend of Lara
06-12-10, 00:32
*changes back*

Oh wait I don't use Facebook har har.

Spong
06-12-10, 00:32

I'd rather lick (the late) John Candy's armpit.

JonnyT
06-12-10, 00:33
It's certainly strange seeing a load of cartoons taking over Facebook lol.

trlestew
06-12-10, 00:35
I'd rather lick (the late) John Candy's armpit.

Stop being a troll -_-

Phlip
06-12-10, 00:37
He has no friends to add. :whi:
Calm down people. It ain't true.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20024583-10391698.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campaign-To-End-Violence-Against-Children-Childhood-Cartoon-Faces/165381953497707

Its untrue.

That proves nothing.

I'm a really paranoid person, so I'm keeping it as a photo of just myself, and not Pepper Ann.

lara_bond
06-12-10, 00:37
Since it's untrue, I am Dexter form Dexter's Laborotory. What an awesome show.

Catracoth
06-12-10, 00:39
I lol'ed.
People are revolting.

larafan25
06-12-10, 00:40

That proves nothing.

I'm a really paranoid person, so I'm keeping it as a photo of just myself, and not Pepper Ann.

Pepper Ann rocks.

I am pretty sure it's untrue though, from the facebook link Catapharact posted.

KC Mraz
06-12-10, 00:40
It was just a silly thing people came up with. I didn't saw the point but I still joined. I used this*:

http://i.imgur.com/oVGaJ.jpg

*I didn't actually used that pic.

larafan25
06-12-10, 00:41
It was just a silly thing people came up with. I didn't saw the point but I still joined. I used this*:

http://i.imgur.com/oVGaJ.jpg

*I didn't actually used that pic.

How Ironic.

Catapharact
06-12-10, 00:43

The supposable reason why some idiot started the rumor was based on the fact that having all these pictures of cartoon characters will "attract" a lot of kids on the site who would wanna sign up.

Really? ... REALLY?

I have to say, the Peds must be hemp smoking morons if they think this will work in their favor.

Aphrodite22
06-12-10, 00:43
:vlol:

Tony9595
06-12-10, 00:51
Really? ... REALLY?

:D!

KC Mraz
06-12-10, 00:53
How Ironic.

A little. Things like this have little point other than making some people feel they are doing good ("awarness").

Besides, some people still haven't changed their picture back. It's very confusing :p.

Ward Dragon
06-12-10, 00:59

I'd add him, but I don't have a Facebook either :p

Anyway, I hope the rumors are false.

Spong
06-12-10, 01:00
I'd add him, but I don't have a Facebook either :p

+1

It's the thought that counts :tmb:

lararoxs
06-12-10, 01:01
Aren't they due to be taken off today anyway?

Melonie Tomb Raider
06-12-10, 01:03
I don't see how changing your profile pic to a cartoon could possibly hurt anything. I changed mine. Fraud or not, what is it going to hurt?

Catapharact
06-12-10, 01:04
Aren't they due to be taken off today anyway?

Tomorrow actually. Anyway, I didn't really care for the usual stereotypical kiddy cartoons and I actually had to think about what I should put up as my picture.

My choice? Rick Hunter from Robotech.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6700000/Rick-Hunter-and-Lisa-Hayes-robotech-6723755-640-480.jpg

Melonie Tomb Raider
06-12-10, 01:11
I picked Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon. My all time favorite cartoon as a kid. :D

MangelinaJolie
06-12-10, 01:36
I used Zim from (duh) Invader Zim. I wanted to use The Gromble from Aaahh!!! Real Monsters but I couldn't find a good enough picture. :(

Actually, if I can find a good one I might use him as my avatar...

trlestew
06-12-10, 01:41
Tomorrow actually. Anyway, I didn't really care for the usual stereotypical kiddy cartoons and I actually had to think about what I should put up as my picture.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6700000/Rick-Hunter-and-Lisa-Hayes-robotech-6723755-640-480.jpg

Funny.

Anime has the exact opposite affect on the people I know. They think of it as kiddy crap :p.

robm_2007
06-12-10, 01:43
I think I'll change mine to a cartoon version of Jerri Blank, as i already have a live-action pic of her as my profile pic.

Smog
06-12-10, 02:10
I changed mine to my avatar on here. Seemed as good an excuse as any. :whi:

ShadyCroft
06-12-10, 07:46

dude ! :eek: he sorta looks like you, Cat ! :p

Anime has the exact opposite affect on the people I know. They think of it as kiddy crap

ah oh! you just opened the Cat's Pandora box for Anime. :)

Dark Lugia 2
06-12-10, 07:54
People believe anything they hear nowadays. There are no valid sources and people still believe it =/
Mine was double d from ed, edd and eddy =D

Ikas90
06-12-10, 07:59
Is anything bad going to happen to me now? Am I gonna get stalked by pedos? :p

CerebralAssassin
06-12-10, 08:00
Funny.

Anime has the exact opposite affect on the people I know. They think of it as kiddy crap :p.

people think it's crap cause it IS crap:p

Spider Man
06-12-10, 08:20
Ugh,just ugh.:(

aurora89
06-12-10, 08:23
it's a really offensive campaign, anyways. Very trivialising to people who have lived through child abuse. It originally started out as a facebook nostalgia week, and that would be totally fine. It disgusts me that people are trying to pretend like they're helping people by doing something fun. If you're going to a charity ball or concert or something, sure. But it feels so deceptive, it sets my teeth on edge.

Me? I'm participating in the house-elf liberation front event, where you change your picture to an article of clothing. :p It'll help about as much as people changing their facebook pictures does to help prevent child abuse.

TRLegendLuver
06-12-10, 08:43
I've never heard of it. :confused:

Paddy
06-12-10, 08:48
I changed mine to Moe Syzlak so it wasnt relevant. More ironic.

TombRaiderLover
06-12-10, 08:51
My Facebook profile picture has remained a photo of Ian Curtis, even during this 'campaign.' I'm frustrated at everybody's sudden tendency to pretend like they give a damn about the cause. If you cared that much, you'd donate.

TRLegendLuver
06-12-10, 08:52
My Facebook profile picture has remained a photo of Ian Curtis, even during this 'campaign.' I'm frustrated at everybody's sudden tendency to pretend like they give a damn about the cause. If you cared that much, you'd donate.

Not everybody has a lot of money, remember that. :) I give money to charities and causes when I can, but I don't always have money for it. Don't be so quick to assume. :)

Paddy
06-12-10, 08:54

Yeah cause donating to what could be pretty ****ed up people is smart :p
I do agree though, as I said I changed mine to Moe lol, I shouldve used Peter Griffin.

CerebralAssassin
06-12-10, 09:17
I'm glad I haven't jumped on this particular bandwagon...just look how it turned out....

although I have to admit I was temped to do it

Yeah cause donating to what could be pretty ****ed up people is smart :p
I do agree though, as I said I changed mine to Moe lol, I shouldve used Peter Griffin.

I would've rofled if that happened:p

Paddy
06-12-10, 09:20
I would've rofled if that happened:p

So would I actually lol.

Barry Matharoo
06-12-10, 09:26
I don't see how changing your profile pic to a cartoon could possibly hurt anything. I changed mine. Fraud or not, what is it going to hurt?

i agree :tmb:

i used lara croft
as i have many childhood memories of watching my brothers take on lara on ps1

Johnnay
06-12-10, 09:39
Is anything bad going to happen to me now? Am I gonna get stalked by pedos? :p

hahaha good one Saki:D...

Catapharact
06-12-10, 14:03
Funny.

Offcourse they would think that. All they have grown up watching is crud like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh :p.

dude ! :eek: he sorta looks like you, Cat ! :p

Lol! I am the less friendlier version ;).

it's a really offensive campaign, anyways. Very trivialising to people who have lived through child abuse. It originally started out as a facebook nostalgia week, and that would be totally fine. It disgusts me that people are trying to pretend like they're helping people by doing something fun. If you're going to a charity ball or concert or something, sure. But it feels so deceptive, it sets my teeth on edge.

Me? I'm participating in the house-elf liberation front event, where you change your picture to an article of clothing. :p It'll help about as much as people changing their facebook pictures does to help prevent child abuse.

Completely ridiculous.

The aim of the campaign was to spread AWARENESS about the problem and do it in a way which would work well with facebook's T&C and policies, and IMO it did a good job at that. I suppose you are against things like Policemen doing the "walk in her shoes" run (where they run in heels) for breast cancer as well? Since it can be interpreted as them trivializing the pain that victims of Breast Cancer suffered through?

lara c. fan
06-12-10, 15:15
Maybe now people will realize that the whole thing was stupid anyway.

Catapharact
06-12-10, 15:16
Ahhh... Have people even bothered reading up on the links I put up?

lara c. fan
06-12-10, 15:18
Ahhh... Have people even bothered reading up on the links I put up?

I just came in here and posted. :p
I've had the same cynicism since the whole thing started.

Minty Mouth
06-12-10, 15:22
Due to the lack of any kind of source whatsoever for the OP's 'news', it's pretty safe to say it was just a rumour.

The date to change the pictures back to normal is today, anyway!

toxicraider
06-12-10, 16:17
There were concerns that using cartoon's could help pedophiles identify children from adults, based on the character they pick. Obviously they could also add people without being recognised because of the cartoon profile picture. There were only concerns that it could help pedo's, not that it was created by them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336163/Facebook-cartoon-character-campaign-NSPCC-charity-says.html
Catapharact's links are to much the same effect.

xXhayleyroxXx
06-12-10, 16:32
omg 0_0

TRfan23
06-12-10, 17:32
Since I like Pokemon I chose Alakazam as my display pic.

Although it's kiddy anime, it sort of is cartoon to a certain perspective and so could contribute to the Topic at hand. Plus it is Pokemon month after all.

According to this - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/International-Pokemon-Profile-Pic-Month/202279214097

Squibbly
06-12-10, 18:10
I heard this wasn't true.

Although I find the campaign a bit silly because it does nothing at all (it's the same as if you were to put up pictures of exercise equipment to battle obesity), I still changed mine to a cartoon. Mainly just because I had an excuse to have my picture as a cartoon.

touchthesky
06-12-10, 21:08
Facebook drama > Real life drama.

Dark Lugia 2
06-12-10, 21:15
I didnt even know about the campaign. =/ I heard it was just a general cartoon week.

CiaKonwerski
06-12-10, 21:34
I do not believe it is/was a hoax, for one most children do not have FB's, it is mainly teenagers and adults. I would hardly doubt a teenager would add someone because their picture was a cartoon. So far however there is no evidence that this was a hoax, or a campaign to stop child abuse either.

IceColdLaraCroft
07-12-10, 00:57
Facebook drama > Real life drama.

twitter >facebook > real life

Tumbrl FUUUUUUUUUN

:vlol:

SpongeBob Lover
08-12-10, 05:38
Really? what the hell!

...i'm too lazy to change it back anyways, i love my picture.

toxicraider
08-12-10, 13:15
Shouldn't this thread be closed? It's just a little misleading with it not being true. :p

They only said the Pedofiles could judge the age of the profile, by the cartoon that was used. It was not a hoax in any way.

xxitsxnadyaxx
08-12-10, 18:55
aww mine was LAND BEFORE TIME :3

http://www.dvd.net.au/movies/l/08532-2.jpg

larson n natla
08-12-10, 19:02
The campaig for the Nspcc was not real the website confirms that it is thankful for such support but did not begin the campaign many assume it was for dark reasons I think it was just a little bit of fun.

lara c. fan
08-12-10, 19:03
The campaig for the Nspcc was not real the website confirms that it is thankful for such support but did not begin the campaign many assume it was for dark reasons I think it was just a little bit of fun.

Problem is, "a bit of fun" doesn't really do much.. As I kept trying to tell everyone on Facebook who was calling me an idiot. :p

Avalon SARL
08-12-10, 19:05
:(
WT????

I have Tarzan, and all my friends have other Disney characters as their profile pictures.... this is terrible :(

but we did it for a good cause...

Lara Fan 4Life
08-12-10, 19:11
Mine was of the fierce Lil and Phil from Rugrats! :D But took it down once I heard this! I thought it was great seeing everyone's favourite cartoon characters, but I didn't get how it would raise awareness to stop child abuse. But yeah! :/