PDA

View Full Version : Is gaming addictive?

jaywalker
06-12-10, 08:01
BBC Panorama has done `research` based on this very hot topic.

The show airs tonight at 8:30pm on BBC1.

Show details can be found here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9251000/9251687.stm)

The hype behind the show has led a lot in the industry to be angry at the show as its a definite `loaded` question they are asking, going out of their way to find people willing to admit ridiculous gaming sessions (20+ hours) and forgetting to eat/drink etc and then portray this as the `norm` in gamers.

What do you all think? Do you feel you are `addicted` to gaming? what does `addicted (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/addicted)` actually mean?

Be very interested to hear your views on this..

ps - theres a big chance that I may actually be shown in the program as they recorded things in the office including me (altho i am probably on the cutting room floor i hope)

Full show below (note from 7:45-7:55 famous debut) :)
Note - the show will probably make you angry to watch, its pretty poor as a show to say the least :(

s1yYKdTdGdY
kOpNtOH05jM

Legend of Lara
06-12-10, 08:02
I dunno, I'm too busy playing Persona 3 Portable to know what you're even talking about.

In all srsness, I'd really like to watch that. BUT WHOOPS IT'S BLOCKED HERE LOL

Ikas90
06-12-10, 08:06
I'm not addicted to games. I'm addicted to the internet.

It basically replaced my previous addiction for games. :p

patriots88888
06-12-10, 08:09
What do you all think?

I'm probably too old to care anymore.

Do you feel you are `addicted` to gaming?

Niet! For above mentioned reason.

What does `addicted` actually mean?

adĚdicĚtion noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\
Definition of ADDICTION
1: the quality or state of being addicted <addiction to reading>
2: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

Another Lara
06-12-10, 08:10
I remember when I was in uni and I spent the majority of my time when at home playing sims... I would literally be playing for hours and then would realise all of a sudden that I was dying for the loo and starving hungry so would realise I needed to take a break!

That's the closest I've come to addiction, as other games tend to frustrate me too much for me to spend hours playing it...

Will be interesting to watch it tonight though to see how they try and spin it and also to see if Jay's featured on it lol! :p

Spider Man
06-12-10, 08:11
IMO you either addicted to gaming or your not.My cousin plays games for around 1 hour every 1-2 days and no more but I play them for 5+ hours everyday.It is diff for everyone.

jaywalker
06-12-10, 08:15
IMO you either addicted to gaming or your not.My cousin plays games for around 1 hour every 1-2 days and no more but I play them for 5+ hours everyday.It is diff for everyone.

thats precisely the point.. Everyone IS different.

Without having seen the program its very hard to tell how much blame they are placing on the games industry, but as i said the `previews` have really hit a nerve with the industry as if its ONLY them to blame; removing parents from being possibly to blame for their kids being stuck to a screen all day/night, as if they are powerless to control things

ShadyCroft
06-12-10, 08:34
Yes, gaming is adictive, but that doesnt mean its bad and games should be banned.
Some people are reasonable and have sense enough to balance things in their lives, like me, and 1-2 hours of gaming would be enough for me.
And there are those who spend hours and hours playing a game and neglect all their other duties.

TRLegendLuver
06-12-10, 08:41
For me, gaming in general is not addictive. However, a certain game can be addicting. But if you wind up with a terrible game, you most likely won't spend a lot of time infront of your TV screen. So, my answer is, no.

sandygrimm
06-12-10, 08:56
For me, it is for the first few months than I get tired and bored, forget the game and after a year or 2 I go back to it :)

Archetype
06-12-10, 08:58
Depends what game it is...

Dennis's Mom
06-12-10, 12:08
The frame rate of the games stimulates the same portion of the brain that cocaine works on. It can be very addictive to certain individuals, particularly those with ADHD whose brains are already underproducing certain chemicals.

When Douglas (who has ADHD) was much younger, getting him to quit playing a game was like taking away a drug from a junkie. He became combative and angry.

Everything you put into your brain affects it. You're kidding yourselves if games have no effect on your brain. The issue becomes whether or not it's harmful behavior.

Alive_and_Funky
06-12-10, 13:21
Of course games have the potential to be addictive, but you can say the same thing about anything that you can find enjoyment in, right? As for where I personally stand, I think I'm more or less the same as TRLegendLuver:

For me, gaming in general is not addictive. However, a certain game can be addicting. But if you wind up with a terrible game, you most likely won't spend a lot of time infront of your TV screen. So, my answer is, no.

The frame rate of the games stimulates the same portion of the brain that cocaine works on. It can be very addictive to certain individuals, particularly those with ADHD whose brains are already underproducing certain chemicals.

When Douglas (who has ADHD) was much younger, getting him to quit playing a game was like taking away a drug from a junkie. He became combative and angry.

Everything you put into your brain affects it. You're kidding yourselves if games have no effect on your brain. The issue becomes whether or not it's harmful behavior.
Wow, that's interesting. :eek:

cezy rockeru
06-12-10, 13:37

agreed

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 14:12
I do a lot of gaming every week but wouldn't say I am addicted. It's just what I like doing in my spare time.
I've had people criticise me for playing games for hours on end before. They are usually people that will sit watching television every night as well which I very rarely do. I find watching TV pretty boring compared to a good game.

Eddie Haskell
06-12-10, 14:19
It's absolutely addictive. But then again, so are a lot of things. When I got out of the hospital after my return from Afghanistan I spent nearly all day playing games. I was addicted to it and it cut into my rehab and other important things that I needed to do. But something pulled me out of it, just when I needed it. it was also the impetus to my joining this forum. This "cure" worked like a charm and drove me from the computer. I opened and installed a game that was soooo bad and made me soooo angry that it shook me out of my addiction, it was Legend! I kid you not, true story.

cbragg09
06-12-10, 16:00
Yes, I played The Sims 3 for exactly 47 hours straight.

I do that with any new Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, or Resident Evil

robwolf666
06-12-10, 16:08
Is gaming addictive?

Absolutely, I've gotten completely hooked on some games. Thankfully though I can eventually force myself away from them - then when I do go back to them the addictiveness is gone...

Spong
06-12-10, 18:00
I heard about this show last week. I'm looking forward to it, if only to laugh at the BBC's breath-taking biased stance on the nature. It won't be a documentary at all, it'll be a witch hunt.

xXhayleyroxXx
06-12-10, 18:06
To me, gaming is extremely addictive.

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 18:25
I heard about this show last week. I'm looking forward to it, if only to laugh at the BBC's breath-taking biased stance on the nature. It won't be a documentary at all, it'll be a witch hunt.

The media are generally very ignorant about gaming.

Charlie Brooker did a really good programme about it on BBC a year or so ago, don't know if he will be on this tho. It will probably be more like an episode of "Brass Eye".

Spong
06-12-10, 18:34

QFT.
Still, it'll be fun to watch and shake my head in amused disbelief.

Charlie Brooker did a really good programme about it on BBC a year or so ago, don't know if he will be on this tho. It will probably be more like an episode of "Brass Eye".

Firstly, along with Gregory House & Jeremy Clarkson, Charlie Brooker is a part of the triumvirate that govern my moral compass :tmb:

Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe is the show you're talking about, a brilliant doc that portrayed gamesplaying in a far more level manner than I imagine Panorama will do tonight. But then, Brooker is a gamer himself, has been for years. I don't foresee him being on Panorama tonight.

Incidentally, I just saw the trailer for tonight's show, it was full of 10 year-olds playing games, close-ups of their 'game faces'. Apart from the leeway for it to be misconstrued as a paedo's paradise, it made me laugh. I have friends who are 40 years old who still do that :vlol:

Biddy
06-12-10, 18:38

Tell me about it, I still remember Fox News' rant about Mass Effect. Sported a bald patch over it. :cen:

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 18:43
QFT.
Still, it'll be fun to watch and shake my head in amused disbelief.

Firstly, along with Gregory House & Jeremy Clarkson, Charlie Brooker is a part of the triumvirate that govern my moral compass :tmb:

Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe is the show you're talking about, a brilliant doc that portrayed gamesplaying in a far more level manner than I imagine Panorama will do tonight. But then, Brooker is a gamer himself, has been for years. I don't foresee him being on Panorama tonight.

Incidentally, I just saw the trailer for tonight's show, it was full of 10 year-olds playing games, close-ups of their 'game faces'. Apart from the leeway for it to be misconstrued as a paedo's paradise, it made me laugh. I have friends who are 40 years old who still do that :vlol:

Yeah it was Gameswipe, Charlie Brooker talks a lot of sense.:tmb:

Did you ever watch Brass Eye?, brilliant series of spoof satirical documentaries. Scarily like the News channels we are supposed to take seriously today. :D

^

Lol, Mass Effect is corrupting our children.:yik:

TRfan23
06-12-10, 18:58
The most amount of hours I'd spend gaming when I was younger was around 6-8 hours a day.

Now lord of binoculars, I don't find games as addicting as I used to be with them. I'd start a game on my PS3, play it for a bit, pause it for a few hours or turn it off then focus my attention to my laptop. For me computers are addicting, which in a way is good since my future is going to be based on it, with all the geeky programming stuff.

Although it's bad since I'm on my laptop until around 2-3AM, nearly every morning. Including college mornings, and I have to be up 7:30-7:45 AM.
So even as I'm typing this I feel very tired, I just don't like to go to sleep much. Ironic if you compare that to my life when I was younger, I had a fear of going to bed after 11:00PM...

robm_2007
06-12-10, 19:23
I have been addicted to gaming before. And I went to a Rehabilitation Clinic to help with my disease adn they just laughed at me when i told of my addiction *cries*
--------------
On a less serious note, I think the longest I've ever played in one session was like 6 hours. I did not eat, drink, pay attention to other ppl, sleep, or even change my sitting position. That was when i got GTA IV :p

The most ive played in a day was about 10 hours :pi:. All i did was go to the bathroom a couple times, and perhaps had a conversation with someone while i was playing, but never acknowledging their existance by diverting my eyes from the screen :D

But i do think that gaming can be addictive, but i think the internet is more addicting to me, as i cant go one hour with out going on the web, even if its just randomly browsing. i dont play as much as i used to, but i can cram 4 or so hours a day for gaming.

jackles
06-12-10, 19:42
jay.....extreme closeup!! :jmp:

Spong
06-12-10, 19:50
LAURA Croft!!!!??? :mad:

*sigh*

Did you ever watch Brass Eye?, brilliant series of spoof satirical documentaries. Scarily like the News channels we are supposed to take seriously today. :D

I've got Brass Eye and The Day Today on DVD. Love Chris Morris :tmb:

Another Lara
06-12-10, 19:50
jay.....extreme closeup!! :jmp:

lmao I know!!! :jmp:

We only thought it was going to be a pan of the office and we might be able to point him out in the crowd, not a full on close up!!! :D

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 20:24
I've got Brass Eye and The Day Today on DVD. Love Chris Morris :tmb:

They were both brilliant series.

The programme wasn't as bad as I was expecting, thought it would have been more sensationalist.

Horus-Goddess
06-12-10, 20:55
Yeah the media can't be taken seriously when it comes to gaming. All they tend to preach to the masses is how games affect kids, making them violent just because they played some game. When in truth it's up to the parent to pay freaking attention to their kids' behavior. But that's another subject entirely...

I think games can be addictive. I still play games for hours on end... my parents used to limit me when I was a child lol. One hour every day and no more. Where they'd sit and watch TV for hours when they were off work as if it weren't the same. And they never did think they were the same. To me games are more entertaining than TV. At least as you're playing a game (if you have a good game) you're constantly using your problem solving skills and hand eye coordination. Where if it's TV unless it's some sort of educational show (like the History channel or something) you're normally not really doing much with your brain lol.

I've never been huge into TV though but games? Yes. I don't spend as much time on them as I used to when I wasn't working. Now that I have a job I can enjoy long gaming hours when I have them without feeling rediculously irresponsible lol.

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 21:07
^

I'm basically the same, the programme was saying that could be part of the problem for some people. The fact that you can't just switch off and relax when playing certain games.

World of Warcraft was given the most blame.

Benguitar
06-12-10, 21:07
I think gaming addiction varies depending on the personality type of the person playing.

It can be addicting to some people, and it isn't to others.

Legend of Lara
06-12-10, 21:14
Tell me about it, I still remember Fox News' rant about Mass Effect. Sported a bald patch over it. :cen:

Mass Effect totally has a crapload of hardcore sex scenes. :cln:

Ooh, someone uploaded this to YouTube and it isn't blocked. Gonna watch it.

Twilight
07-12-10, 01:27
everything and anything can be addictive.

jaywalker
07-12-10, 07:53
Updated OP with the show :)

Mikky
07-12-10, 07:56
Oh... I guess I made a thread for this in the GoL section for nothing. You could always close it, jay. :p

jaywalker
07-12-10, 08:05
tee hee edited ;)

Mikky
07-12-10, 08:19
^^^ Btw, what were you doing on the computer? On TRF, were you? :p

To be completely honest, I thought the whole show was a complete load of BS. There are way bigger problems in life than "gaming addiction". They should stop wasting time concentrating on something so trivial and think about proper addictions.

jaywalker
07-12-10, 08:35
I probably was on here yeh heh

Oh yeh the show was totally skewed and biased towards trying to prove their question rather then give actual facts to back it up.. I mean the people they found were total and utter patsies who were willing to say whatever the show needed to hear to `prove` their theories.. Some VERY good points were made but common sense covers these, clearly these people didnt have that.

If parents watched the show and now take an interest in what `little johnny` is doing up in his room when he should be in bed then good!

Mikky
07-12-10, 08:39
I probably was on here yeh heh

Oh yeh the show was totally skewed and biased towards trying to prove their question rather then give actual facts to back it up.. I mean the people they found were total and utter patsies who were willing to say whatever the show needed to hear to `prove` their theories.. Some VERY good points were made but common sense covers these, clearly these people didnt have that.

If parents watched the show and now take an interest in what `little johnny` is doing up in his room when he should be in bed then good!

Amen to that! The whole show was just so one-sided. Pathetic, really. =/

ultima espio
07-12-10, 09:30
"This company makes the Laura Croft video games"

...Give him a slap eh? :p

Mikky
07-12-10, 09:59

IKR?! What an idiot! :vlol:

Laras Dream
07-12-10, 10:17
I seen that last night on TV. :)

FloTheMachine
07-12-10, 10:59
So did I... :)

A.JJ.G
07-12-10, 13:45
I just watched it on iPlayer. Wow, that was... biased. The people claiming to either know an addicted person, or claiming to be addicted were told what to say (IMO), they only mentioned the other side of the argument (that games "reduce stress" in the presenter's words) once, and:

Trust me, it's on my list :mis:

jaywalker
07-12-10, 13:47
Yeh couldnt believe the presenter didnt even say the name right.. that just goes to show how poor the research was doesnt it really.

xb4b1x
07-12-10, 13:53
it was too biased,i expected to see them carrying pitchforks etc..

jaywalker
07-12-10, 13:56
it was too biased,i expected to see them carrying pitchforks etc..

as i said i am all for raising awareness in parents who truly believe that their kids are angels etc. However parents have to take responsibility for their kids, and not offload them to `games` for babysitting duty.. If a games 18 rated and they are 12, DONT BUY IT, no matter how much they hassle saying `my mates have it` etc.. this is a personal bugbear when WE get blamed for things yet have systems in place that are so blatantly ignored by people!

Eddie Haskell
07-12-10, 14:04
But still, you can become addicted to gaming. Certainly not in a chemical or biological sense, but can still be a debilitating behavioral problem. While this show may have overemphasized or hyped the extremes of the issue, we all know that this can be a big problem particularly for parents and their children. Dismissing the issue based on its presentation on this show is wrong. The problem exists on various levels and stages for many many people. And saying that many things are addictive doesn't lessen the depth and breadth of this particular issue.

I know, I became nonproductive and actually endangered my physical recovery because I found it easier and "more fun" to sit there and play games instead of facing my difficult therapy and rehab sessions. Kids can spend all of their time playing games instead of studying or getting involved in physical activities, and we all know that this is not in any way productive or healthy.

jaywalker
07-12-10, 14:09
They stated that people `prone` to becoming addicted can become addicted to games, which rates very highly on my `no-****-sherlock-ometer`.

If they'd presented facts rather then `subjective` opinions of some people they found then would have hit the argument home more, unfortunately it just came across as a really poor attempt to bully the industry to accepting societies ills are all its fault (overexaggeration but you know what i mean)

A.JJ.G
07-12-10, 14:17
...it just came across as a really poor attempt to bully the industry to accepting societies ills are all its fault (overexaggeration but you know what i mean)

I agree. To me, it basically said "Hey parents, if your kids are spending most of their day on the computer/Play Station/Xbox, then blame the industry that made the games, rather than yourselves (even though you bought these games/consoles for your children)" I know it's a huge exaggeration, but all they really did was say was that games where bad.

Eddie Haskell
07-12-10, 14:20
They stated that people `prone` to becoming addicted can become addicted to games, which rates very highly on my `no-****-sherlock-ometer`.

If they'd presented facts rather then `subjective` opinions of some people they found then would have hit the argument home more, unfortunately it just came across as a really poor attempt to bully the industry to accepting societies ills are all its fault (overexaggeration but you know what i mean)

Wear it as a badge of honor. :) It shows that you have made a product so powerful that it becomes more important to an individual than anything else. And it's a sure sign of success for your product, that you have created a digital equivalent to "The Stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stuff)"...

jaywalker
07-12-10, 14:22
Wear it as a badge of honor. :) It shows that you have made a product so powerful that it becomes more important to an individual than anything else. And it's a sure sign of success for your product, that you have created a digital equivalent to "The Stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stuff)"...

hehe :)

StarCroft:AOD
07-12-10, 16:04
Thank godness my dad bought me my first gaming console, a nintendo nes, when I was a child, in the 80's, and I remember he took me to an arcade, and played pac man when it was popular.. now i love vide games so much

Horus-Goddess
07-12-10, 23:02
I know, I became nonproductive and actually endangered my physical recovery because I found it easier and "more fun" to sit there and play games instead of facing my difficult therapy and rehab sessions. Kids can spend all of their time playing games instead of studying or getting involved in physical activities, and we all know that this is not in any way productive or healthy.

Yeah.. I can actually relate lol. I'm thankful when I was younger and living with my father and step-mother that she played the "evil step-mother" role with me in forcing me to not spend so much time on games as a kid. It wasn't so much a problem when I was in high school but before that, I would've done nothing but game if given the chance.

I'm glad during my earlier years I was put into swimming team and such like that, that kept my body healthy. And I love swimming but, never would have been that into it if it hadn't been for her lol.

Much as I hated her back then, I'm actually really thankful for all that she made me do lmao. XD

My point is, it seems like these days, parents let their children be babysat by videogames or TV and don't pay attention to their health in that regard. It actually bothers me a lot. :/ And then they go so far as to blame the games for their child's short comings. It isn't right. That and not paying attention to your kid and their activities, like gaming, can just further give them time to develop an unhealthy addiction to it.

I've been there done that, and I know it's hard to break but it is possible. I wasn't the worse case either but it did get to a point where I neglected work and bills. Thank god I had a good friend there to get me out of it lol.

The show probably wasn't entirely wrong in its accusations but, to go so far as to blame the creators of the games themselves, that is just wrong. :/

TRLegendLuver
07-12-10, 23:05
Of course games have the potential to be addictive, but you can say the same thing about anything that you can find enjoyment in, right? As for where I personally stand, I think I'm more or less the same as TRLegendLuver:

:tmb:

The Great Chi
08-12-10, 06:19
Years back, I used to be addicted to arcade machines, like pong, pacman, asteroids, Tron (yes, Tron) and my favorite 2D platform adventure games.

Then came the game machines built into the glass on the pub table, and enjoy playing while drinking beer.

Then came the home console games and we got sonic the hedgehog and mario brothers, just could not get enough.

But as I become adult, I found the games bug began to wear of, until Tomb raider arrived ;)

I now find computer and console games rather less exciting, and only keep real powerful and well remembered games like, beyond good and evil, Ico, shadow of the collossus and of course, the tomb raider series of games.

Now it is just tomb raider only, either replaying, talking about, modding, or awaiting each new game in turn. Wondering if It will be technically posible to play it on my PC as each new game requires more and more higher specs.

So I would say gaming for me after all these years has at last wore off :D

*PH*
09-12-10, 14:05
In my school we had a woman from some anti addiction advertising company thngy and she said about addiction:

PC addiction begins e.g. when you do not go to school anymore.

So eveb if you play all day its not an addiction if you dont forget your life about it. Gamers play cause they want but not because they cant stop

Tomb raider cant be compared to e.g. WoW because that uis online and you cant leave till youre done. THat increases addiction risk probably.

Tony 101
16-12-11, 04:36
im addicted to video games XD. The only thing that i play for more than four hours a day is Tomb Raider. The one i love to play the most though is Tomb Raider Anniversary. Im wiping out the entire game of it's relics and artifacts. Today i played it for five hours straight XD then i fell asleep..:rolleyes:

tomekkobialka
16-12-11, 11:22
Hmmm...this is a year old thread...:pi:

klona
16-12-11, 14:19
^-wondering if anybody noticed too-

Mikky
16-12-11, 14:35
Has it really been a year since this program went on? Wow, time sure does fly. :p

Greenapple968
16-12-11, 19:21
For me it is an addiction, but not a huge one.