PDA

View Full Version : How To Beat The Cold...

FloTheMachine
06-12-10, 15:23
I've just came back from school (which was cancelled). I had to walk through the snow for about an hour and when I got home I realised I got the cold.

I feel like major crap, any tips or whatnot on stuff to take or whatever..? :)

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 15:29
Paracetamol sometimes helps a bit.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-12-10, 15:33
Drink a lot of water, take a good multivitamin and don't resist the urge to sleep even if it's a strange time of day to do so.

One other thing; getting sick from cold weather is an old wives tale... People get sick more frequently in the winter because they're jammed indoors, avoiding the chill and have more exposure to each other than during the rest of the year.

cezy rockeru
06-12-10, 15:51
The Best Flu Rremedy Doesn't Come From a Pharmacy
Believe it or not, one of the best ways to treat your symptoms and help get over the flu as quickly as possible is an old wives tale that actually works. Chicken soup, the tried and true remedy used by grandmothers the world over, actually contains substances that can ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections. A scientific study performed by the University of Nebraska Medical Center suggests that chicken soup helps fight colds by stopping the movement of neutrophils, which are white blood cells that eat up bacteria and cellular debris. These neutrophils are released in great numbers by viral infections like colds.

"What we showed was that chicken soup has a very mild effect at slowing the migration of one of these cells" said Dr. Stephen Rennard, professor of medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. "Therefore, chicken soup may have a very mild anti-inflammatory action, and this potentially could contribute to some of the so-called medicinal activities that people have attributed to chicken soup," Rennard said. Adding pepper to chicken soup also can help to clear a stuffy nose, doctors say. And homemade soup is more potent than canned chicken soup, since it contains more fresh chicken.

The shortage of flu vaccine last year has resulted in more people having to take sick days and sit on the couch feeling sorry for themselves. But it also resulted in people learning more about how to take care of themselves, treat symptoms, and get over the flu as quickly as possible. Next time you have a cold or the flu, remember to get plenty of rest, take over-the-counter medicines to make you feel better, and drink a lot of fluids. And also remember to indulge yourself with a hot bowl of soothing soup.

this helped me when I had a flu 2 months ago:D

miss.haggard
06-12-10, 16:33
Tea, water, OJ. If you've got a humidifier that helps too. If not, my mom always made me hold my head a foot or two away from a boiling pot of water with a towel over my head, to get the steam to clear me out.

Your_Envy*
06-12-10, 17:18
Vitamin C. :cln: Lemons, lemons, lots of lemons in my case. :D Rest, if you have headache, high fever then take paracetamol like other suggested. And chicken soup. The best.

I hope you will feel better soon! :hug:

FloTheMachine
06-12-10, 17:19
I'm having tomato soup. Is that allright..? :)

Your_Envy*
06-12-10, 17:22
Chicken is the best (for me), but tomatoes have vitamin C so I think it's very good! :D I think any soup can make me feel at leats a little bit better if I have cold.

FloTheMachine
06-12-10, 17:23
I'm feeling a lot better now. I'll stay in bed though. Thanks all ;)

robwolf666
06-12-10, 17:25
I've just came back from school (which was cancelled). I had to walk through the snow for about an hour and when I got home I realised I got the cold.

I feel like major crap, any tips or whatnot on stuff to take or whatever..? :)
Bah, you kids have it too easy!

Back when I was at school they stayed open even if there was several feet of snow and the heating was broken! :p

Liara
06-12-10, 17:29
One other thing; getting sick from cold weather is an old wives tale...
Exactly. As far as I know it's not the outside cold that makes you sick, but the virus running around. So basically all those times my mom told me as a kid to wrap up warm like a packed ham were for nothing. >.>

xXhayleyroxXx
06-12-10, 17:36
The cold doesn't bother me -- but try vitamin c.

tampi
06-12-10, 19:05
Orange juice and some exercise.

Twilight
07-12-10, 02:39
hot shower, rest, lots of fruits.