PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an Amazon Kindle?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-12-10, 22:15
The title is rather self-explanatory. I was thinking of getting one for my mom and I wanted some opinions, mostly as it pertains to getting a wifi vs the wifi + 3G version. I'm imagning the latter allows you to download material ANYWHERE where as the wifi one requires you to be near an open/unsecured network connection. Thanks!

Rai
06-12-10, 22:36
Sorry I can't help. I am interested in this thread though as I want a Kindle too, so this thread will be helpful. Thanks for making it :).

Night Crawler
06-12-10, 22:40
It's a poor man's iPad, lol.

TombRaiderLover
06-12-10, 22:41
Is this the device that allows you to read novels on a screen? I find such a concept deeply disturbing.

lara c. fan

E-Ink isn't what the iPad uses, though. And the iPad's primary use isn't for reading books.

Catracoth

Not really.

Minty Mouth
06-12-10, 22:42
It's an electronic device for reading PDF files that is not really anything like the iPad.

Fixed that for you.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-12-10, 22:45

And the iPad is just a mutant iPheces. So what? ;)

Rai
06-12-10, 23:12

Well I'm poor, so the Kindle is ideal - for my needs as well. I don't need no fancy pants Ipad. ;)

irjudd
07-12-10, 00:49
It's a straight man's iPad, lol.

I'm pretty sure Nate likes them too.

Dennis's Mom
07-12-10, 14:01
I'm imagning the latter allows you to download material ANYWHERE where as the wifi one requires you to be near an open/unsecured network connection. Thanks!

3G is simply faster. You still have to be in range, although it's a much bigger range.

For example, the 3G at my house is abysmal. It's also abysmal in the Wisconsin Dells, as we found out two summers ago. ;)

I think it's always better to get the most technology you can afford. Things change so quickly; the fewer bells and whistles you have the more likely it is you'll be outdated sooner.

MattTR
07-12-10, 14:12
I don't read enough to own one, so no. :ton:

Don't have an iPad but my iPhone is love, even though I'm starting to hate the thing for not having good reception. :pi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
07-12-10, 14:40
3G is simply faster. You still have to be in range, although it's a much bigger range.

For example, the 3G at my house is abysmal. It's also abysmal in the Wisconsin Dells, as we found out two summers ago. ;)

I think it's always better to get the most technology you can afford. Things change so quickly; the fewer bells and whistles you have the more likely it is you'll be outdated sooner.

My mom barely ever leaves the house, so I figured being connected everywhere might not be necessary and would be a benefit seldom used. I'll think about it.

I don't read enough to own one, so no. :ton:

Don't have an iPad but my iPhone is love, even though I'm starting to hate the thing for not having good reception. :pi:

Some men in black suits & sunglasses are on their way to your location as we speak...

Admles
07-12-10, 15:21
My mother has one, and as an e-Book reader, it's amazing. The text is so clear, it's so easy to use, and the books are cheap.

She loves it, it lasts for ages on a single charge, and she hasn't read a single paper book since she got it around a year ago.

She doesn't have to hook up to our network; it accesses the bookstore anywhere she can get a signal from.

The Great Chi
07-12-10, 22:58
I can see some advantages of an electronic book over a paperback book, but......

I remember when computers came into the office eviroment back in the 80's, and it was said that this would make it a paperless office. No way !

The funny thing was, that most people when having to read a twenty page A4 document on screen, would rather print out the document and read it in paper form.

The reason being that it was sore on the eyes to scan down twenty pages on screen, and that you felt you needed a tangable real document in your hand.

So that how I feel about electronic books, and would rather buy a number of paperbacks to read instead.

igonge
07-12-10, 23:35
My mother has one, and as an e-Book reader, it's amazing. The text is so clear, it's so easy to use, and the books are cheap.

She loves it, it lasts for ages on a single charge, and she hasn't read a single paper book since she got it around a year ago.

She doesn't have to hook up to our network; it accesses the bookstore anywhere she can get a signal from.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking about getting one after Christmas. There's simply no room in our house for more books and bookcases. And it's handy if your going away on holiday too.