PDA

View Full Version : Britain to declare Titanic an underwater tomb

Sam Burke
12-11-03, 20:57
Britain put its name to an international agreement to declare the wreck of the Titanic a permanent memorial to the more than 1,500 who perished when the supposedly unsinkable liner went down in 1912.

"This government has been a driving force behind the agreement and I welcome the fact that the Titanic will be afforded greater protection because of it," Shipping Minister David Jamieson said in a statement.

Britain now hopes that Canada, France and the United States, which all helped to develop the agreement, will sign it as well so that it can swiftly come into force.

The luxurious oceanliner sank on the night of April 14-15, 1912 on its maiden voyage to New York after hitting an iceberg south of Newfoundland. Only about 700 people survived.

The agreement would recognize the remains of the British-flagged ship and surrounding area as a memorial to those who died, and as "a historical wreck of exceptional international importance".

France is party to the agreement because the Titanic stopped at its port of Cherbourg after leaving its English home part of Southampton, and Canada because Newfoundland has been one of its provinces since 1949.

tlr online
12-11-03, 21:00
About time. Maybe that'll stop Titanic Inc and the Russians from pillaging the site!

tlr online
12-11-03, 21:06
Sam. I didn't realise you were interested in Titanic. I have an impressive library of literature on the ship, her construction, her sinking, the subsequent British and American inquiries. Been a hobby of mine for many years.

jun89
12-11-03, 21:12
I used to be a big Titanic "fan"....I knew it's lenght, width and almost everything..

Sam Burke
12-11-03, 21:16
Originally posted by tlr online:
Sam. I didn't realise you were interested in Titanic. I have an impressive library of literature on the ship, her construction, her sinking, the subsequent British and American inquiries. Been a hobby of mine for many years.Yep, I'm quite a "Titanic Fanatic" myself. I've just read Walter Lord's epic 'A Night To Remember' - I will try to get a copy Baker's film.

I've only skimmed through Ballard's discovery book, I was only trying to find Grimm's infamous propellor picture.

tlr online
12-11-03, 21:37
Robert Ballard produced a DVD on the discovery of the Titanic a few years ago. Amazon are probably packing a copy, or at the very least can point you in the right direction for a used copy. It's quite amazing footage, of them discovering the ship again after so many years. A Night To Remember is probably the closest account of what actually happened if you take onboard (no pun intended) the varying eye witness reports on the night. Cameron took a slightly different path, but the effects were quite outstanding. It's one of those JFK events tho.... many different opinions, but we'll never know the real motivation behind Smith's dash across the Atlantic or the unusual actions of the Californian on the other side of the ice field. Still, it's fun to speculate, and I'm just amazed how much passion is still attached to a 91 year old maritime disaster.

Sam Burke
12-11-03, 21:49
Did you go to the expedition @ the science mususem this summer? It was quite good - the 'piece' of hull was there.

Have you had the plesure of watching "Raise the Titanic"? :D

tlr online
12-11-03, 21:53
There was a massive exhibition in Southampton last year which I attended, and yes... I'm afraid I have seen the B-movie Raise The Titanic LOL!!

Celli
12-11-03, 22:36
How ironic. By making it an "official tomb", they're actually condemning it to be completely gone by 2050 from poor water conditions. Leaving it untouched is actually a worse fate than "pillaging".