PDA

View Full Version : Consussions and long term memory loss?

CAISACO
09-12-10, 01:57
Sorry I'm making a whole new thread about this. But I'm desperate.
Last night my boyfriend hit the front and back of his head by slipping on the floor, and when he woke up he texted me Hey um, Alicia? Who exactly are we, like idk I hit my head really hard last night and everything's all jumbled, I remember you but can't remember what we are. I get all blushy looking at this picture of you on my phone but idk what it means.

I'm so scared. I hope he's at the doctors right now. Do you think his memory will come back all they way?
He came over today after he remembered where I lived and he was acting like a friend. but he did walk me to every class like usual. He's way better than he was this morning, he was like a zombie and not showing emotion and trying to talk to this girl he used to like and I told him that he needs to remember to leave her alone.
I don't know what to do. What if he never remembers our relationship and doesn't want me anymore or have interest?
My dad lost his memory for 2 weeks but it came back. I'm just scared his will but he won't want our relationship anymore. He was asking questions about us and remembering a lot. Should I just wait it out?

Sir Croft
09-12-10, 02:03
I think it's best to wait for him to fully recover his memories, and if you still think he's acting weird, you can talk to him about it. I believe he will eventually remember everything, it just takes some time.

CAISACO
09-12-10, 02:07
okay, I'm just in shock right now, I know it because I haven't cried yet. I don't believe it. He's gotten so much better in just one full day, I hope he can get everything back. I know some people can't. But maybe they just never remember when they hit their head?

Sir Croft
09-12-10, 02:15
okay, I'm just in shock right now, I know it because I haven't cried yet. I don't believe it. He's gotten so much better in just one full day, I hope he can get everything back. I know some people can't. But maybe they just never remember when they hit their head?

Maybe you should calm down, I know it's not easy and the situation is quite delicate but you have an important role in helping him remember his past, specially because you're his girlfriend. It's also very important for him to go to the doctor regularly to check his condition.
I hope everything turns out alright! :hug:

CAISACO
09-12-10, 02:17
Thank you. he doesn't think he needs to go to one though

CiaKonwerski
09-12-10, 02:22
He may just have a slight case of Amnesia. I have been learning a lot about memory in Psychology and it should come back, definitely show him things that will take him back etc.

Chug a Bug
09-12-10, 11:41
Sorry I'm making a whole new thread about this. But I'm desperate.
Last night my boyfriend hit the front and back of his head by slipping on the floor, and when he woke up he texted me Hey um, Alicia? Who exactly are we, like idk I hit my head really hard last night and everything's all jumbled, I remember you but can't remember what we are. I get all blushy looking at this picture of you on my phone but idk what it means.

I'm so scared. I hope he's at the doctors right now. Do you think his memory will come back all they way?
He came over today after he remembered where I lived and he was acting like a friend. but he did walk me to every class like usual. He's way better than he was this morning, he was like a zombie and not showing emotion and trying to talk to this girl he used to like and I told him that he needs to remember to leave her alone.
I don't know what to do. What if he never remembers our relationship and doesn't want me anymore or have interest?
My dad lost his memory for 2 weeks but it came back. I'm just scared his will but he won't want our relationship anymore. He was asking questions about us and remembering a lot. Should I just wait it out?

You're worrying too much. Unless theres permanent brain damage long term memory shouldn't be affected. You should always go to the doctor and/or hospital to get it checked out though. Wait and see what the doctors say.

I've known people have concussion, they're usually a bit knocked about mentally for a couple of days, one guy I knew hardly knew where he was most of the day, but they were all fine after a few days.

Lara's Nemesis
09-12-10, 11:50
I'm sure he will be alright but he really should go to the doctor. I had a concussion when I was younger and they kept me in hospital overnight.

Alive_and_Funky
09-12-10, 20:23
You're worrying too much. Unless theres permanent brain damage long term memory shouldn't be affected. You should always go to the doctor and/or hospital to get it checked out though. Wait and see what the doctors say.
I'm sure he will be alright but he really should go to the doctor. I had a concussion when I was younger and they kept me in hospital overnight.
I agree: concussions are serious.

the_legend
09-12-10, 21:48
you have to tell him, they always do that with amnesia patients :)

CAISACO
09-12-10, 22:41
he knows he has it and is frustrated. But yesterday his first day having it, in the morning he was crying and confused, but when he came over he was normal. Today if anyone were to talk to him he'd seem normal.
But what I'm terrified about : he's acting like my friend. Only a friend. I'm trying to tell him all this stuff and he's like "interesting.." or "oh yeah I remember.
The doctor said he hit his right frontal lobe causing temporary amnesia and to just live life normally but no mma, martial arts or dancing for a while.
I know it's only been two days but will he just snap out of it and be like omg alicia I love you!!!
? gosh lol

I was telling him what we did last weekend and he barely remembers. And even when he snowboarded with his friend last saturday he said he kind of remembers. But what's weird is he can't remember long term really, it's jumbled, or short term. But he can at the same time.. idk

Love2Raid
09-12-10, 22:48
Give it time. There is not much else you can do.

CAISACO
09-12-10, 22:57
yeah. I just think it's crazy he doesn't act like he's in a relationship with me.
Last friday he gave me back my ring and everything and we were officially together again. (he needed some time about three weeks ago because we had a little fight) and we were so happy friday until tuesday night when he hit his head. And I guess he still thinks he's single? idk I told him everything and he said he doesn't really remember weeks ago or last week

xXhayleyroxXx
09-12-10, 23:15
Gosh that must be so heartbreaking to see him like that :( You must be feeling rotten!

I'm sure he'll remember how much he loves you, keep us updated xxxxxx:hug:

CAISACO
09-12-10, 23:20
I will. I think I'm rushing it. He's only had two full days like this. yesterday morning he forgot where I lived but told me he knew at the end of the day and my family and stuff. But I'm so scared his love for me will never come back. I don't know if it's like from spiderman 3 when harry all of the sudden got all his memory back randomly. I hope.

Rai
09-12-10, 23:34
It must be terrible for you, but imagine what it is like for him. I know, it is hard as you have these feelings for him but he doesn't remember being in love with you. You're a little too emotionally involved and it can't be helping you to be fretting over this.

I'm no expert, but give it time. The doctors know what they're talking about. If he stays like this for a while, he should go back. Time is the healer. He'll remember. I hate to say it, but maybe you should give him a little space. It must be slightly overwhelming for him right now. That's just a suggestion.

miss.haggard
09-12-10, 23:54
Perfect opportunity to tell him you are the Queen of Egypt and you demand diamonds and foot rubs. :)

CAISACO
10-12-10, 00:26
^ Ha:p

Last night he texted me: I remember what we had and how we felt and how you feel, and what I'm supposed to now. I feel a lot towards you and feel safe with you. And I can feel your care and love for me and it's making my feelings grow.

He's just still puzzled. He was a lot better to me today than yesterday. After he walked me to class he left and came back and He gave me this look he used to give me when he'd walk by my classroom and he stopped and kind of leaned up against the door and stared and smiled and walked away.
he seems more connected with me today, but I somehow feel this is as good as he'll get.
He doesn't seem overwhelmed with me. He still always waits for me and is happy to see me after each class.

It seems like the most he can't remember are a few weeks prior to this. Do people usually get those memories back? Because those are the most important in his case. I know barely any get the memory when they hit their head back, but they usually get other memories back? This is not fair..