PDA

View Full Version : When you listen to music...

Love2Raid
09-12-10, 22:56
...do you feel chills?

I do all the time. :vlol::o
I thought everyone did, but apparently not. I read an article about a recent study that investigated this phenomenon and linked it to a certain personality type.

Researchers Emily Nusbaum and Paul Silvia of University of North Carolina at Greensboro asked students about how often they felt chills down their spine, got goose bumps, or felt like their hair was standing on end while listening to music. They also measured their experience with music, and five main dimensions of personality: extraversion, conscientiousness, agreeableness, neuroticism, and openness to experience. Of all these dimensions, only openness to experience was related to feeling chills. People high in openness are creative, curious about many things, have active imaginations and like to play with ideas, and they much more frequently feel chills in response to music.

If you are interested: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101207191525.htm

xXhayleyroxXx
09-12-10, 22:59
Yeah I do :p Especially if the song/music is really emotional or is layered together really well :p

I thought everyone felt it too.

TombOfRaiders
09-12-10, 23:03
Those drops in DnB Tunes...

Especially the new and great ones. They make the hairs stick up.

Aphrodite22
09-12-10, 23:03
it depends on the epicness of the song. :p

Encore
09-12-10, 23:05
I do, a lot! That's an amazing find :)

StefanJ94
09-12-10, 23:06
Only when listening to my favourite artist, Madonna. Also Nightwish - End of All hope gives me the chills and I get goose bumps :o

Rai
09-12-10, 23:20
Depends on the tune, but yeah I do. If I really like it or it touches me emotionally for matching how I'm feeling at the time.

TheRCroft
09-12-10, 23:28
Ahah, yes, I do feel indeed, but I thought it wasn't a common thing :p I now know I'm not the only one xD Almost every music that I really like gives me chills.
@Hayley and Love2Raid, I felt the opposite completely. I really thought it was weird people stuff, so, really uncommon :D

xXhayleyroxXx
09-12-10, 23:33
@Hayley and Love2Raid, I felt the opposite completely. I really thought it was weird people stuff, so, really uncommon :D

awww :hug: Well now you know the truth ^_^ I watch people's body language when they listen to music, and I noticed when people listen to a particular beautiful song or something really well layered a change happens in them :p Its very hard to explain but I sort of always knew it happened to other people :p

Love2Raid
09-12-10, 23:38
Haha, don't worry, it's normal. :D

It doesn't really matter what type of music it is, but I indeed have to enjoy it (obviously :p). Could be classic music, electronic music (trance), anything really. Or when the lyrics are really good.

:p

trlestew
09-12-10, 23:39
When a song is truly epic, then yes. My heart sometimes skips a beat as well.
:eek:

Joely-Moley
09-12-10, 23:44
Depends on the song and my particular mood.

Chocola teapot
09-12-10, 23:56
Sometimes, Depends on the song.

LaraCablara
10-12-10, 01:20
Hey, guess what.

I LOVE to draw, I love new experiences, sitting around imagining, and I really love all things creative :).

At the same time, I feel barely any passion for music whatsoever with some exceptions. I do love listening to it though, but to say I can't live without it would be a huge lie. Everyone thinks I'm crazy :p. I tried to get into it by learning to play piano (despise it though) and being open minded to every type of genre. Too be honest, when I see other people playing instruments or singing it drives me NUTS but that may be because perhaps I feel a bit of jealousy that they could do it and I try and cant.

Phlip
10-12-10, 01:27
Yeah if the song's really good. :D Music can also make me feel on top of the world.

Paddy
10-12-10, 01:28
Happens to me on certain songs yes, if the songs particularly awesome and the riffs are just real kickin.

Endow
10-12-10, 01:34

patriots88888
10-12-10, 01:37
Well, seeing how music is centered around emotion(s), yea.

Paddy
10-12-10, 01:40
Songs like Smoke on the Water, towards the end of Invisible Kid by Metallica, Hells Bells have particular things in them that give me chills lol in a good way.

Spong
10-12-10, 03:03
It has to be connected to a memory for a piece of music to have that effect on me, but yeah, it happens. I don't get any of those things if I listen to a piece of music I've not heard before though, no matter how good it may be.

silviu_raider
10-12-10, 04:54
Yeah I do :p Especially if the song/music is really emotional or is layered together really well :p

I thought everyone felt it too.

Same here.

BlueJ97
10-12-10, 04:56
yes i sometimes i have goosebumps :o

Drone
10-12-10, 05:02
Yes I do because I listen to Radiohead and Interpol.

Mikky
10-12-10, 05:50
Researchers Emily Nusbaum and Paul Silvia of University of North Carolina at Greensboro asked students about how often they felt chills down their spine, got goose bumps, or felt like their hair was standing on end while listening to music. They also measured their experience with music, and five main dimensions of personality: extraversion, conscientiousness, agreeableness, neuroticism, and openness to experience. Of all these dimensions, only openness to experience was related to feeling chills. People high in openness are creative, curious about many things, have active imaginations and like to play with ideas, and they much more frequently feel chills in response to music.

I'm like this, but I hardly ever feel chills. Unless the song is something I can really relate to. :p But I feel chills when I relate to something regardless if I'm listening to music or not, though. :p

Tony9595
10-12-10, 05:57
I'm creative but nope, never :p

sandygrimm
10-12-10, 06:09
Not all the time, to just any music. Only the one I like and really listen, not just play in the background.

Mr. Giraffe
10-12-10, 07:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1c2KzJbcGA

cezy rockeru
10-12-10, 12:10
only when I hear Lady Gaga!:eek:

amaris
10-12-10, 12:19
I do sometimes. :p It usually happens when I listen to the lyrics really closely, or have the volume up pretty loud. :p My Mp3 player keeps me sane, I swear. :vlol:

CerebralAssassin
10-12-10, 12:24
yeah, sometimes I get goosebumps

the ancient
10-12-10, 12:55
If the song is realy good I get goosebumps :o

TRLegendLuver
10-12-10, 13:30
Haha, it depends on the music. :)

demonslayer
10-12-10, 14:08
depends on the song really, but yeah i do generally :p

Carbon
10-12-10, 14:38
it depends on the epicness of the song. :p

second that.

Tombraider95
10-12-10, 14:43
I do if the song is really good, or it reminds me of a memory. Older songs tend to this to me a lot from when i listened to them when i was younger.

tomblover
10-12-10, 15:30
That depends, but I always get epic chills whenever I hear Gaga perform Speechless live. I also tend to almost start crying, but yeah. XD

blufan
10-12-10, 15:50
i sure do. i get high to songs:cln: